Hey babugaru,

What you need to ask them is how to generate an app-specific password. Once they tell you that, pass it along and I can probably take you the rest of the way. (Don't tell them its for BB10; just ask them how to do it.).

Also, if you can PM me the name of your company's server I can do some further checking. You can and should ask what e-mail provider they are using (Office 365 or on-premises Exchange are the most likely options.)

Posted via CB10
    IT team is asking for business justification. What should I tell them?
    11-05-19 12:37 AM
    There really isn’t any business justification other than keeping you happy as employee. Companies are supporting fewer devices even under BYOD programs because of UEM limitations to be most effective security wise. Do you really want to be “that” employee? What does your manager say about your request?
    11-05-19 06:15 AM
    There really isn’t any business justification other than keeping you happy as employee. Companies are supporting fewer devices even under BYOD programs because of UEM limitations to be most effective security wise. Do you really want to be “that” employee? What does your manager say about your request?
    This ticket doesn't route through my manager's attention or approval.

This is what I have responded.

Please reopen. As it requires 2 step verification for the outlook authentication, I cannot login to the outlook on my old phone, which cannot support 2 step verification. Hence, I need a method to generate one time app specific password. Please reassign to any other member from the tech team in case if you are not sure about this.

Thanks for your support.
    11-05-19 07:07 AM

Please reopen. As it requires 2 step verification for the outlook authentication, I cannot login to the outlook on my old phone, which cannot support 2 step verification. Hence, I need a method to generate one time app specific password. Please reassign to any other member from the tech team in case if you are not sure about this.

Thanks for your support.
    Basically, they’re saying you need an exception. What business reason should your employer change their security protocols for you?
    11-05-19 07:26 AM

Thanks for your support.
    Well that should certainly get them moving in the right direction..... Please let us know what they response is.
    11-05-19 07:53 AM
    We used LotusNotes via IBM Verse. It worked on both my PP as well as the Hub on my non BB Android device. Then we switched to Outlook 2016 on Office 368. Couldn't get it to work on either PP nor on my Android device. Spoke to IT. They said nothing. They just laughed. Now I'm sitting with the worst email solution on my phone EVER.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-19 08:26 AM
    We used LotusNotes via IBM Verse. It worked on both my PP as well as the Hub on my non BB Android device. Then we switched to Outlook 2016 on Office 368. Couldn't get it to work on either PP nor on my Android device. Spoke to IT. They said nothing. They just laughed. Now I'm sitting with the worst email solution on my phone EVER.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure about BB10 Hub but the BBAndroid Hub should now be supported for Outlook requirements.
    11-05-19 09:43 AM
    Hey babu,

The business justification is to allow for BYOD. In other words, if your company does not assign you a smartphone, but expects you to use your cell phone for business purposes, they need to support your phone. It is very easy to enable app-specific passwords for BB10, so they'd just have to allow your specific user to do that within Office 365.

Feel free to PM me if you like for more discussion--I can probably work with your IT folks to get this knocked out if needed. I may also PM you as well.
    11-05-19 03:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hey Malazm,

Pretty sure we can get Office 365 working for you on both. What problems do you have on setup?
    11-05-19 03:10 PM
    Hey babu,

The business justification is to allow for BYOD. In other words, if your company does not assign you a smartphone, but expects you to use your cell phone for business purposes, they need to support your phone. It is very easy to enable app-specific passwords for BB10, so they'd just have to allow your specific user to do that within Office 365.

Feel free to PM me if you like for more discussion--I can probably work with your IT folks to get this knocked out if needed. I may also PM you as well.
    They said there is no way to generate app specific password. Just a question, I can connect to my company server through Hub and login is successful. After that step, sync is failing. Is it anything to do with app specific password as I can actually login?

Posted from my Classic!
    11-06-19 02:19 AM
    I wonder if they even have 2FA enabled.

At my work, we use Office365 with our own domain name, but we don't have 2FA on it.

I think it's a permissions setting on the admin side that someone just doesn't want to go in and tick a box on.

Way back in 2013 when I first got my Z10, our office email was hosted on-site, but administered by an outside IT company (we still use that company). I could not get my phone to connect. I went back and forth with the IT guy, who was trying to help, telling him it was the new BB10 phone that had EAS capability now, not the BBOS that needed BES. Once he understood that, it was a matter of getting it to see the email server. I'd plug in the right info, it would fail to connect, IT guy goes in and checks more settings.

Getting close to the end of the day and we were about to give up, when he said "let me check one more thing".

Turns out, my username just didn't have mobile access (or something like that) permissions. Everyone else in my office had iOS or Android, and most were getting emails directly connected for a while. The previous 4 years, I was using a BBOS phone - 8100, then 9800, accessing my email via OWA (Outlook Web Access) in the email app. It wasn't push, but it worked. But, IT never turned mobile access on for me, because I never asked, and by then, the IT guy assumed it was on for me. Until he actually checked. He turned it on, and finally, I got in.

That was 6 years ago, but permissions should be similar today. I think they just don't want to go through the effort.
    11-06-19 09:29 AM
36 12