Hey guys,

After spending half my day looking into it I thought I would share the solution with you, as the only thread about it that I found said it wasn't possible, but it is.

Ok so activesync won't work. So you should be adding an IMAP account. Let's say the email with access to the shared mailbox is client@example.com and the ALIAS (very important) of the shared mailbox is 'shared'. For the username of the account you should set

client@example.com\shared

Ok you can easily find this on the Internet too, BUT it won't just work. There's a seperate smtp username field where you must delete the \shared part from the username. For email address you should simply set the address of the shared mailbox.

That's it, set the rest of the stuff as you would for any other account. I hope I could helped some of you as it would have helped me a lot if I could have found anything about this on the Internet for blackberry.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    11-29-14 09:01 AM
    Thanks for posting the help
    11-29-14 09:53 AM
    Why won't ActiveSync work for a shared mailbox as a secondary mailbox? An Exchange mailbox can have up to 10 ActiveSync devices connected to it at any one time.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1151
    11-29-14 05:05 PM
    Why won't ActiveSync work for a shared mailbox as a secondary mailbox? An Exchange mailbox can have up to 10 ActiveSync devices connected to it at any one time.

I'm just guessing here, but Exchange Online doesn't charge for a user license for a shared mailbox (read: free) so they most likely disable ActiveSync for that mailbox.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 05:07 PM
    Activesync doesn't support shared mailboxes as funny as that may sound

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    11-29-14 05:52 PM
    I'm just guessing here, but Exchange Online doesn't charge for a user license for a shared mailbox (read: free) so they most likely disable ActiveSync for that mailbox.

Posted via CB10
    That may be true if they (Office 365) disable the ActiveSync protocol on the account. I don't see why they would disable ActiveSync but leave IMAP enabled. Then again Office 365 is a custom version of Exchange with special rules compared to the on premises versions of Exchange that I suppprt.

Otherwise manually setting up an Exchange ActiveSync connection where you know the server connection point, specify the email address as the shared mailbox, but use the username/password as the user with permissions to the mailbox *should* work. Plus others have found work arounds:
    http://community.spiceworks.com/topi...oid-office-365
    I am going to create a disabled user mailbox in my Exchange lab and see if I can authenticate to it via ActiveSync using my regular Exchange account (after I give myself permissions to it). Even if it works in my lab, it doesn't mean Office 365 doesn't have some special tweak to block it.

11-29-14 06:27 PM
    That may be true if they (Office 365) disable the ActiveSync protocol on the account. I don't see why they would disable ActiveSync but leave IMAP enabled. Then again Office 365 is a custom version of Exchange with special rules compared to the on premises versions of Exchange that I suppprt.

Otherwise manually setting up an Exchange ActiveSync connection where you know the server connection point, specify the email address as the shared mailbox, but use the username/password as the user with permissions to the mailbox *should* work. Plus others have found work arounds:
    Shared mailbox on Android? Office 365 - Spiceworks
    I am going to create a disabled user mailbox in my Exchange lab and see if I can authenticate to it via ActiveSync using my regular Exchange account (after I give myself permissions to it). Even if it works in my lab, it doesn't mean Office 365 doesn't have some special tweak to block it.

the thread you linked says the same, its not possible via activesync. their workaround is forwarding the emails, while mine is a fully working, not hackish workaround. ive tried the email address method before. it auths you without any errors but you wont receive any emails, the imap method fully works though

edit: actually, in that thread someone mentions the same method as mine. the only difference is that on blackberry the smtp username is seperated and unless you remove the mailbox alias manually, it wont work
    11-29-14 06:39 PM
    the thread you linked says the same, its not possible via activesync. their workaround is forwarding the emails, while mine is a fully working, not hackish workaround. ive tried the email address method before. it auths you without any errors but you wont receive any emails, the imap method fully works though

edit: actually, in that thread someone mentions the same method as mine. the only difference that on blackberry the smtp username is seperated and unless you remove the mailbox alias manually, it wont work
    You didn't scroll down and read the bottom solution where they claim they got it to work with ActiveSync by creating another user account.

I tested it in my lab using my personal account as permissions to the disabled/Shared mailbox, and I had a strange result in my BlackBerry where my BlackBerry moved all my personal email under the test account.

I then created a dummy account that did not share the same username/email address as the shared mailbox, nor was it my personal account, to be a little different than the "solution" I linked to above where the account they created had the same name. Unfortunately in this scenario I kept getting errors on my BlackBerry.

Short of tracing the ActiveSync calls, I would have to say that even though you can specify a different username/password than the email account, ActiveSync (or at least the BlackBerry 10 implementation) only wants to work with the account linked to the mailbox.

You have me intrigued though. :-) So I looked on our internal Microsoft knowledge base to see if I could find anything concrete, but unfortunately I found nothing definitive as to why this is an issue. I am going to follow up with some other Exchange Engineers next week to see if I can find out why you can specify a mailbox email address and supply a different username, but ActoveSync bombs out unlike IMAP.

Last edited by HotFix; 11-29-14 at 07:22 PM.
    11-29-14 07:09 PM
    let me know what you find. according to the interwebz its not supposed to be supported without messing with the policies. fortunately for my needs imap is more than enough as the shared mailbox is only for mails
    11-30-14 01:37 PM
    let me know what you find. according to the interwebz its not supposed to be supported without messing with the policies. fortunately for my needs imap is more than enough as the shared mailbox is only for mails
    I spoke to several fellow engineers about this issue, including bringing it up on a nationwide call today. The detail is that the authentication method built into ActiveSync only wants to work with the primary account associated with the mailbox. It's unclear to me of its due to restriction of the underlying IIS's authentication dependency, or just the way ActiveSync was written. Since ActiveSync is licensed to others, the devs probably chose to stick with a strict 1:1 configuration so 3rd parties could more easily implement it.

This has nothing to do with licensing or Shared Mailboxes. This has to do with the account accessing the mailbox needing to be the primary/linked account.

So in short to do what you want to do you will need to use IMAP if the "work around" I linked to above doesn't work for you. The work around sounds shady given this new information to me so I think you IMAP solution is the best solution.

Sorry for suggesting the use of ActiveSync when it's not possible to do so.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-05-14 05:11 PM
    I spoke to several fellow engineers about this issue, including bringing it up on a nationwide call today. The detail is that the authentication method built into ActiveSync only wants to work with the primary account associated with the mailbox. It's unclear to me of its due to restriction of the underlying IIS's authentication dependency, or just the way ActiveSync was written. Since ActiveSync is licensed to others, the devs probably chose to stick with a strict 1:1 configuration so 3rd parties could more easily implement it.

This has nothing to do with licensing or Shared Mailboxes. This has to do with the account accessing the mailbox needing to be the primary/linked account.

So in short to do what you want to do you will need to use IMAP if the "work around" I linked to above doesn't work for you. The work around sounds shady given this new information to me so I think you IMAP solution is the best solution.

Sorry for suggesting the use of ActiveSync when it's not possible to do so.

its always good to learn stuff like that, im a software engineer myself but i dont have access to exchange docs nor i know anyone who knows a lot about it. hopefully in the future a new revision of the activesync protocoll will get support for more mailboxes
    12-05-14 07:42 PM
    its always good to learn stuff like that, im a software engineer myself but i dont have access to exchange docs nor i know anyone who knows a lot about it. hopefully in the future a new revision of the activesync protocoll will get support for more mailboxes
    I can tell you that several bugs/design change requests have been filed requesting this functionality, and they have been turned down. So don't expect it any time soon. :-(

12-05-14 07:46 PM
    Yeah, even with on-premise Exchange you can only use ActiveSync for accounts in which you have the credentials (username/password or certificate) for.

Since shared mailboxes in Exchange Online/O365 don't have credentials (at least that are known), I don't see a way to access them even if ActiveSync was enabled for the accounts.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 08:37 AM
    It's possible to set credentials for shared mailbox, but via Azure powershell (for O365) - unless they've changed that.
    However, the problem when accessing shared mailbox of any flavour (inhouse or O365) you end up downloading all the emails from the primary account, credentials of which were used for authentication. IMAP solution sounds as the only viable and now I've read about it, I will try it out. Nothing exclusive to BlackBerry 10, EAS is the same everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 08:47 AM
    I'm a complete newbie at this. My business emails are coming through Office 365. These are the fields I have to fill in to set up my email in the Blackberry Hub. I'll fill in what I can based on your advice:

email address: myname@mydomain.ca
    user name: myname@mydomain.ca\shared
    passord: my network password
    Server: ?
    Port: 993 (but is this correct?)
    Security type: SSL/TLS

What am I missing/doing wrong?
    02-19-16 08:24 AM