01-31-18 11:41 PM
65 123
tools
    Well, for me the display of the Classic is a small upgrade, but the tool belt will be nice! I may be wrong but I think that the little mouse for the cursor the Classic has isn't on the Passport. I actually could use that since my fingers are big enough to cover 4-6 keys at once I thought it might be easier for me to hit things on tiny Web pages.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    12-24-17 08:07 PM
    Well, for me the display of the Classic is a small upgrade, but the tool belt will be nice! I may be wrong but I think that the little mouse for the cursor the Classic has isn't on the Passport. I actually could use that since my fingers are big enough to cover 4-6 keys at once I thought it might be easier for me to hit things on tiny Web pages.

that pointer is pointless! i wish i could disable it, it messes with things.
    if you have large thumbs you'll absolutely adore the passport keyboard, and while it doesnt have a pointer or need one, the whole keyboard is capacitive and you can scroll pages and edit text with it..its great.

Posted via CBX
    12-24-17 09:36 PM
    Ditto.
    I can take your words for it.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-17 10:49 PM
    I can take your words for it.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, you can since any employees of CrackBerry are by their rules are required to disclose affiliation.

We're just a bunch of BlackBerry fans on here that don't happen to agree with you or have more experience than you regarding certain matters.

To be specific, my background was and is 25 years investment banking, asset management and retail securities.

How about you? What's your background?
    12-25-17 11:11 PM
    Since we have a quorum of BlackBerry experience I'll ask a question that didn't get a response in a different thread. When I look online for my new Classic some will bother to state SQC100-1 etc. But many on this site don't specify. I currently use AT&T but am seriously looking at Straight talk.

Partially for lower cost but more importantly is their network is supposed to use multiple carriers. So I hoped for better coverage in rural areas across the country.

I know that the SQC100-1 is supposed to be for AT&T, and I don't want them to lock me to their network again! (happened before, did warranty exchange for defective Q10. They put me back on a contract AND locked my Q10 despite my having bought it for cash at Best Buy unlocked! Found out day B4 leaving US for Canada when the new SIM wouldn't work.)

Is the 100-4 the fully unlocked model? At least 2 Classic phones on Cell2Go are on 10.3.1 so I don't want to be stuck trying to get OTA from AT&T! Or is there a way to ensure that the 100-1 can't be locked without my knowledge? Can I get it updated without needing an autoloader?

Thanks! I hope everyone has a better new year than the past one! :-)

http://www.cell2get.com/blackberry-c...sm-p-6945.html

12-26-17 04:28 AM
    12-26-17 10:50 AM
    Since we have a quorum of BlackBerry experience I'll ask a question that didn't get a response in a different thread. When I look online for my new Classic some will bother to state SQC100-1 etc. But many on this site don't specify. I currently use AT&T but am seriously looking at Straight talk.

Partially for lower cost but more importantly is their network is supposed to use multiple carriers. So I hoped for better coverage in rural areas across the country.

I know that the SQC100-1 is supposed to be for AT&T, and I don't want them to lock me to their network again! (happened before, did warranty exchange for defective Q10. They put me back on a contract AND locked my Q10 despite my having bought it for cash at Best Buy unlocked! Found out day B4 leaving US for Canada when the new SIM wouldn't work.)

Is the 100-4 the fully unlocked model? At least 2 Classic phones on Cell2Go are on 10.3.1 so I don't want to be stuck trying to get OTA from AT&T! Or is there a way to ensure that the 100-1 can't be locked without my knowledge? Can I get it updated without needing an autoloader?

http://www.cell2get.com/blackberry-c...sm-p-6945.html

Hey Scuba
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. See the link from wingnut666 above or below. The -4, I believe is the factory unlocked..
    12-26-17 11:57 AM
    A happy & safe New Year to you as well!

I was fairly certain that my 1st Choice would be a -4, but the crux of my query was the 1st half. If all I can find are the -1 models, will I be able to update it without needing to wait on AT&T to send me the update? Or the other big concern, where they manage to turn a device paid for as unlocked yet force it into their clutches?

Since the supply of unused Blackberries is finite, to say the least, I won't have the luxury of waiting for too long to find a -4 unlocked model. I really hope that I can, but life is what actually happens while you hope & plan to the contrary!

12-27-17 09:11 AM
    A happy & safe New Year to you as well!

I was fairly certain that my 1st Choice would be a -4, but the crux of my query was the 1st half. If all I can find are the -1 models, will I be able to update it without needing to wait on AT&T to send me the update? Or the other big concern, where they manage to turn a device paid for as unlocked yet force it into their clutches?

Since the supply of unused Blackberries is finite, to say the least, I won't have the luxury of waiting for too long to find a -4 unlocked model. I really hope that I can, but life is what actually happens while you hope & plan to the contrary!

I have the AT&T model on AT&T. I've found that unlocking a -1 only makes it "carrier" unlocked from AT&T. Updates don't appear to ever come through when used on different carrier networks.

As far as using with other networks, I've used a few of the MVNOs like you mention, but the SIM is programmed to a particular network.

Specifically, the best example I give is Tracfone. AmericaMovil is the parent company of several USA MVNO and the biggest MVNO is Tracfone. Depending on where you live, you should be placed on the network that provides best coverage for your address. However once that SIM is assigned to ”X” network, that's it. You can ask the MVNO to send you a new SIM for a different carrier backbone if you move, but obviously that's a different scenario than you mentioned.

Swapping around SIMs on -1 shouldn't carrier lock your phone. If you carrier unlock and then send phone in for some reason or visit carrier store, they make accidently or unintentionally carrier lock again. Carrier AT&T, should just as easily re-unlock again.

Using the MVNOs, factory unlocked -4 is the preferred hardware and I'd even pay a little extra if choice is given.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 12-27-17 at 09:33 AM.
    12-27-17 09:17 AM
    One interesting about Sailfish OS is how it handles Android apps. Unlike BB10 it doesn't emulate instead it's like Wine on OSX. Quite clever.
    12-27-17 09:26 AM
    One interesting about Sailfish OS is how it handles Android apps. Unlike BB10 it doesn't emulate instead it's like Wine on OSX. Quite clever.
    so its an emulator?

Posted via CBX
    12-27-17 09:50 AM
    so its an emulator?

Posted via CBX
    No, it's like a bridge between the two.
    12-27-17 10:20 AM
    No, it's like a bridge between the two.
    so more like Winb.
    :c)

Posted via CBX
    12-27-17 10:25 AM
    "So now listening to grown men cry like little kids over something as inconsequential as a cell phone OS reminds me of that person I used to be, and in some perverse way it does indeed entertain me." oh, boy, your age show well... like wine... let the young one have their "edge"... need oak barrel to mature...
    12-27-17 01:39 PM

BlackBerry Classic - 16 GB - Black - Unlocked - GSM [BBQ20BKEU] - $194.29 : Unlocked Cell Phones, GSM, CDMA, No-Contracts! | Cell2Get

Buy the classic but don't use your att sim in it. Just get a straight talk activation kit which comes with an att sim card that works on straight talk and activate it on your classic then port your number over
    01-31-18 11:41 PM
65 123