We take a lot of grief on here for our love of BB10. We always read the argument that if BB10 were so great why couldn't Blackberry license it.

Well, it turns out Blackberry has been trying to license its "secure" Android to manufacturers.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...ecure-android/

Hmmm... How many licenses have they sold? It should be vastly easier since the buy in for a "secure" Android variant is not a big departure and does not need special hardware. I bet zero.

It seems that Chen is desperately trying to monetize his Android project. I can't believe that BB's deal with TCL allows this.
    anon(8679041) and Bee Gee like this.
    12-18-17 01:53 AM
    What's your point? Licensing of android has nothing to do with licensing of BB10. Neither does bb's agreement with TCL have to do with their attempts to license hardened Android. First because TCL only makes the hardware. Bb still owns the software that they develop, so TCL can't stop them from licensing it to other companies. And "desperately trying to monetize his Android project". Couple things wrong with that. Number one, with bb in the hole that it's in, if Chen sees an opportunity to make the company more money, then he absolutely should take it. Number two, it's not a project. It's off the ground and up and running.
    Carjackd and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-18-17 02:21 AM
    Holy grasping at straws Batman!

That wasn't even a worthwhile attempt at deflection.

And I say yet again, if you don't want people to disagree with you, which is part of the purpose of a PUBLIC DISCUSSION BOARD, the bb10safespace.com is still available.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    12-18-17 05:31 AM

Hmmm... How many licenses have they sold?
    BlackBerry signs its first BlackBerry Secure devices licensing deal with NTD https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...-deal-with-ntd
    12-18-17 05:58 AM
    Well, this thread backfired spectacularly.
    12-18-17 09:30 AM
    I'm just here for the popcorn. 😀
    12-18-17 09:38 AM
    Hey, it's too bad that you feel like you're being given a lot of grief for your love of BB10.

I think most of what sounds like grief is more an expression of frustration on the part of people who understand the reality of the situation, dealing with the CONSTANT litany of people saying things like, "Oh, we just need to start a crowdfunding/open-source license .... to restart BB10".

I loved BB10 also, liked my Classic a lot.

I love my GMC pickup also, but when I'm pulling my trailer the gas tank size is marginal: so I'm very likely to buy a Ford in the spring.
    I couldn't get certain critical apps to work on BB10 anymore, so out goes the Classic, in comes BB Android.

Yeah, sometimes we get grouchy with the BB10 lovers, but again, it's more the frustration with people who just won't acknowledge that BB10 got dropped because BB was facing bankruptcy and was instead dropped to screw over the individual who loves BB10.
    12-18-17 10:30 AM
    What's your point? Licensing of android has nothing to do with licensing of BB10. Neither does bb's agreement with TCL have to do with their attempts to license hardened Android. First because TCL only makes the hardware. Bb still owns the software that they develop, so TCL can't stop them from licensing it to other companies. And "desperately trying to monetize his Android project". Couple things wrong with that. Number one, with bb in the hole that it's in, if Chen sees an opportunity to make the company more money, then he absolutely should take it. Number two, it's not a project. It's off the ground and up and running.
    TCL's licence agreement becomes less beneficial to them if BlackBerry start licencing their USP to other manufacturers, they are left with a licencing agreement that puts a BlackBerry logo on their phones, the value of which diminishes with time.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 01:52 PM
    TCL's licence agreement becomes less beneficial to them if BlackBerry start licencing their USP to other manufacturers, they are left with a licencing agreement that puts a BlackBerry logo on their phones, the value of which diminishes with time.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Secure agreements will be more towards local specialized solutions rather than wide consumer releases.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-18-17 02:30 PM
    Hey, it's too bad that you feel like you're being given a lot of grief for your love of BB10.

I think most of what sounds like grief is more an expression of frustration on the part of people who understand the reality of the situation, dealing with the CONSTANT litany of people saying things like, "Oh, we just need to start a crowdfunding/open-source license .... to restart BB10".

I love my GMC pickup also, but when I'm pulling my trailer the gas tank size is marginal: so I'm very likely to buy a Ford in the spring.
    I couldn't get certain critical apps to work on BB10 anymore, so out goes the Classic, in comes BB Android.

Yeah, sometimes we get grouchy with the BB10 lovers, but again, it's more the frustration with people who just won't acknowledge that BB10 got dropped because BB was facing bankruptcy and was instead dropped to screw over the individual who loves BB10.
    If you don't use a BB10 device anymore, why do you bother coming here to get frustrated with BB10 enthusiasts?
    12-19-17 12:38 AM
    BlackBerry signs its first BlackBerry Secure devices licensing deal with NTD https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...-deal-with-ntd
    Wow. One. And with the world famous NTD. Someone warn Samsung.
    12-19-17 12:39 AM
    No need to push the goal-post.

You bet zero, if I recall.

The BlackBerry Secure program was only launched in September.
    Last edited by conite; 12-19-17 at 06:19 AM.
    12-19-17 12:46 AM
    If you don't use a BB10 device anymore, why do you bother coming here to get frustrated with BB10 enthusiasts?
    I just love the sweet taste of fanboy tears.
    12-19-17 05:25 AM
    Please stop embarrassing yourself. Every time you comment on here, it's not even hilarious opinion anymore, but incorrect facts. Let me demonstrate the difference.

BB10 sucks - opinion

BB10 discontinued - fact
    12-19-17 06:24 AM
    I just love the sweet taste of fanboy tears.
    I know that you're just getting your jollies, but I don't think that the post was a fanboy whine. I think the post just meant that if you aren't using a BlackBerry, why come to the site? Just a logical question.

If you have no more use for a BlackBerry device yet continue to post, it puts the word troll into the picture. If that isn't your goal then I guess there's just a misunderstanding.

But If you only come here to torment those who either think differently from you or just happen to still prefer using a BB10 device I'd say why do you bother? Just 'sayin... if the label fits...

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    KNEBB and G_Unit MVP like this.
    12-19-17 07:44 AM
    I know that you're just getting your jollies, but I don't think that the post was a fanboy whine. I think the post just meant that if you aren't using a BlackBerry, why come to the site? Just a logical question.

If you have no more use for a BlackBerry device yet continue to post, it puts the word troll into the picture. If that isn't your goal then I guess there's just a misunderstanding.

But If you only come here to torment those who either think differently from you or just happen to still prefer using a BB10 device I'd say why do you bother? Just 'sayin... if the label fits...

Scuba, we're still mostly using BlackBerry Android devices. The poster that was ridiculed starts BB10 threads with incorrect facts constantly and then wants to one-sided debate with others with different viewpoints. It's become a pattern that poster subjects themselves unto themselves over and over expecting different outcome.
    12-19-17 08:04 AM

Carjackd likes this.
    12-19-17 08:07 AM

I spent 2 years on BB10 (Classic then Passport). Priv is my 7th Blackberry phone, going back to the miserable Tour, and I even suffered through Playbook ownership. I've paid my dues. It's kind of an inside joke on this forum that anyone who isn't part of the BB10 circle-yank and dares to offer a difference of opinion is labeled a "troll" or "hater."

See, I used to be "that guy." I used to whine and moan and call people names and insult their mothers and talk about how unfair it was whenever something I personally loved got changed or went away. When a car I wanted was no longer sold with a manual transmission. When a build I liked to play in online games got nerfed. In retrospect, really pointless stuff to grieve over when you have good health and a good job. But oh was I a sour puss! But then something miraculous happened... I grew up on the inside and realized it never was, and never will be, about me.

So now listening to grown men cry like little kids over something as inconsequential as a cell phone OS reminds me of that person I used to be, and in some perverse way it does indeed entertain me.
    12-19-17 08:07 AM
    For the record, I use a PRIV.
    I moved my wife from an iPhone to a PRIV.

It's not BB10 enthusiasts that I get issues with - it's those who insist on not listening to perfectly logical arguments about the amount of work/expense required to do something like revive BB10.

I understand the enthusiasm: my brother has a 2009 G8 Pontiac that's just a wonderful car - fast, comfortable, terrific looking. But, GM dropped the Pontiac line - no more Pontiacs.
    12-19-17 08:17 AM

Yes. I still love and use BB10 daily, and have very little negative to say about it, but that doesn't mean I think it ever was or is a viable mainstream product. The strategy and timing were flawed from the start.

But I'm glad BlackBerry took the chance, because I've gotten almost five nearly flawless years of productivity from the best smartphone for my work I've ever owned: the lowly Z10, with its too small battery but perfect form factor!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-19-17 at 11:44 AM.
    12-19-17 09:07 AM
    Please stop embarrassing yourself. Every time you comment on here, it's not even hilarious opinion anymore, but incorrect facts. Let me demonstrate the difference.

BB10 sucks - opinion

BB10 discontinued - fact
    Is it a fact that I ever claimed that BB10 was not discontinued?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 04:06 PM
    Is it a fact that I ever claimed that BB10 was not discontinued?

Posted via CB10
    Those were just examples of fact and opinion from me......
    12-19-17 04:10 PM
    I spent 2 years on BB10 (Classic then Passport). Priv is my 7th Blackberry phone, going back to the miserable Tour, and I even suffered through Playbook ownership. I've paid my dues. It's kind of an inside joke on this forum that anyone who isn't part of the BB10 circle-yank and dares to offer a difference of opinion is labeled a "troll" or "hater."

See, I used to be "that guy." I used to whine and moan and call people names and insult their mothers and talk about how unfair it was whenever something I personally loved got changed or went away. When a car I wanted was no longer sold with a manual transmission. When a build I liked to play in online games got nerfed. In retrospect, really pointless stuff to grieve over when you have good health and a good job. But oh was I a sour puss! But then something miraculous happened... I grew up on the inside and realized it never was, and never will be, about me.

So now listening to grown men cry like little kids over something as inconsequential as a cell phone OS reminds me of that person I used to be, and in some perverse way it does indeed entertain me.
    Wow, that was cathartic. But I, for one, am not insulting anyone. And I'm not claiming my life is ruined by BB10 going away. We are having a mature debate about a complex business case.

The only time I get the least bit "personal" is when people claim to have unassailable facts and belittle others' comments when all they have is opinion or speculation.

I also find it peculiar that on the one corner of the Internet devoted to BB 10 there are so many that want to remind holdouts that their OS is doomed or tell them that they are using an outdated OS. (This really sounds like trolling.) I started to suspect that some commenters were incentivized by BlackBerry (or BB Mobile) to convince Crackberry users to migrate to Android devices. This is not so outrageous a proposition given that BlackBerry and/or BlackBerry Mobile has a deal with Crackberry to promote their Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 04:38 PM
    Wow, that was cathartic. But I, for one, am not insulting anyone. And I'm not claiming my life is ruined by BB10 going away. We are having a mature debate about a complex business case.

The only time I get the least bit "personal" is when people claim to have unassailable facts and belittle others' comments when all they have is opinion or speculation.

I also find it peculiar that on the one corner of the Internet devoted to BB 10 there are so many that want to remind holdouts that their OS is doomed or tell them that they are using an outdated OS. (This really sounds like trolling.) I started to suspect that some commenters were incentivized by BlackBerry (or BB Mobile) to convince Crackberry users to migrate to Android devices. This is not so outrageous a proposition given that BlackBerry and/or BlackBerry Mobile has a deal with Crackberry to promote their Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    I can verify that I'm no shill, paid or unpaid...
    12-19-17 04:53 PM
    I can verify that I'm no shill, paid or unpaid...
    Ditto.
    12-19-17 05:04 PM
65 123