Hello, is there a way on BB10 to turn data off, but maintain the ability to make phone calls, send and receive texts, and MMS???
    09-21-13 01:25 AM
    If you turn off data (Settings - Mobile Network - Date Services - Off), you'll get phone calls and texts, but *NOT* MMS. Need data for MMS. I know this because I had data off in Germany with my US SIM, turned it on for a minute by mistake, got an MMS, and $50 roaming charge on my bill.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:37 AM
    If you turn off data (Settings - Mobile Network - Date Services - Off), you'll get phone calls and texts, but *NOT* MMS. Need data for MMS. I know this because I had data off in Germany with my US SIM, turned it on for a minute by mistake, got an MMS, and $50 roaming charge on my bill.

Posted via CB10
    Had you been at a hotspot when you turned on your data in Germany, you'd have been ok...

Trusted Member Genius
    09-21-13 02:58 AM
    I know. 100% my fault. I needed a few minutes of data when I was out and about. It was 3am at home, and I had just gotten my data on a hotspot, so I didn't expect much to download when I turned ir on. But interestingly MMS didn't work on hotspot, so when I went "on network", one came in. That, plus the phone just uses data all the time. My mistake. There is no really "safe" way to use data with phones these days. They just use data all the time.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 10:17 AM
    I know. 100% my fault. I needed a few minutes of data when I was out and about. It was 3am at home, and I had just gotten my data on a hotspot, so I didn't expect much to download when I turned ir on. But interestingly MMS didn't work on hotspot, so when I went "on network", one came in. That, plus the phone just uses data all the time. My mistake. There is no really "safe" way to use data with phones these days. They just use data all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Yah, it's the use data all of the time thing that I'm afraid of... Dammit, well, anyone know of any good dumbphones? I need something with a bigger screen than the typical flip phone for my mom to view pictures sent to her from my sister. Even though she doesn't have any data, the few MMS pictures she gets from my sister isn't enough to warrant buying a data plan. I just pay the overages. But I want to buy a phone for her that won't use data all of the time like smartphones do, but still have a bigger screen so she don't have to squint to look at the pictures sent to her...
    09-21-13 12:08 PM
    Depends on the cost of the overages. My GF, using a BB07 Curve, racked up $100/month of data while in Asia over the summer using no data on purpose. So BB07 isn't safe.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:50 PM
    I ended up switching her to a prepaid plan, so no worries about it using data because it's not there, lol. Plus, prepaid cannot get overages. Bought a Lumia 520 for $85. I would get a BB10 device but still too expensive without a contract...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-25-13 03:38 PM
    I don't get it. Prepaid doesn't have data? I assume there can still be overages, as in you can burn through your $ more quickly, no?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 04:58 PM
    There are prepaid plans that simply don't have data enabled. Phone calls only.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:00 PM
    Hi OP. You could turn data off, have pictures sent via email or BBM, whatsapp etc. And have Wifi on so pics can be downloaded for free when connected. This doesn't need to be at home if it is not available and immediacy is not required, simply take your mom to the local coffee shop, McDonald's etc and hook into theirs for free. Also, I don't know what it's like over there but in the UK if you have not got a data plan and data is not enabled, when you get a MMS, you receive a SMS with a link to the MMS content for when you are on WiFi. This is good for letting you know that you have a picture to view.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    09-26-13 12:29 PM
    I don't get it. Prepaid doesn't have data? I assume there can still be overages, as in you can burn through your $ more quickly, no?

Posted via CB10
    Just wondering, but if the plan is PREPAID, how do you figure they charge overages? They'll have to invent a time machine and force me to buy a card that includes data, lol. :-P

09-26-13 01:05 PM
    Hi OP. You could turn data off, have pictures sent via email or BBM, whatsapp etc. And have Wifi on so pics can be downloaded for free when connected. This doesn't need to be at home if it is not available and immediacy is not required, simply take your mom to the local coffee shop, McDonald's etc and hook into theirs for free. Also, I don't know what it's like over there but in the UK if you have not got a data plan and data is not enabled, when you get a MMS, you receive a SMS with a link to the MMS content for when you are on WiFi. This is good for letting you know that you have a picture to view.

Cool, that could work too, but it might be a little more complicated than my mom would like. The prepaid plan I signed her up for costs the same, and it included unlimited texts and mms. So it allows data only as mms, but will not provide data for anything else. So it's perfect. :-)

09-26-13 01:07 PM
    Cool, that could work too, but it might be a little more complicated than my mom would like. The prepaid plan I signed her up for costs the same, and it included unlimited texts and mms. So it allows data only as mms, but will not provide data for anything else. So it's perfect. :-)

Excellent solution.

09-26-13 01:13 PM
    There are plans that one can have, where you have MMS covered (or so many included) but not your other data. Most carriers differentiate this through the access point settings.

Simply change plans, or pay.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 03:17 PM
    For an example only...
    http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml

Prepaid, plans...that include picture messages (mms)

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 03:24 PM
    Yep, I got her on AT&T's GoPhone plan. So there was no interruption in her service, just called and had it switched over, same service and reception since she was with AT&T already, and unlimited texts and MMS with no data. :-)

09-30-13 04:39 PM
    I did think that BB07 received the push notifications but only in condensed format so the data charges aren't as much on average?

FYI, 3 in the UK have abolished roaming charges to several countries already.

"Three has announced that it has abolished international roaming charges in seven countries.

The service is available to Three customers travelling to the Republic of Ireland, Australia, Italy, Austria, Hong Kong, Sweden and Denmark".

Incredible really as I travel to Italy annually.

A UK Z10 Owner
    10-01-13 07:19 PM
    I did think that BB07 received the push notifications but only in condensed format so the data charges aren't as much on average?

FYI, 3 in the UK have abolished roaming charges to several countries already.

"Three has announced that it has abolished international roaming charges in seven countries.

The service is available to Three customers travelling to the Republic of Ireland, Australia, Italy, Austria, Hong Kong, Sweden and Denmark".

Incredible really as I travel to Italy annually.

A UK Z10 Owner
    Wow, that must be crazy convenient then...

10-01-13 07:41 PM
    Had you been at a hotspot when you turned on your data in Germany, you'd have been ok...
    MMS doesn't work over Wifi as far as I know. It's annoying.

I know on a lot of phones you can specify separate APNs for Internet traffic and for MMS. So, you could leave the MMS one alone and change the Internet APN to something invalid, that might work.
    10-01-13 08:27 PM
    That is correct. I actually would *not* have been okay if I had been on a hotspot. MMS would not have come over wifi. It would have come over cellular data. The only time it works over wifi is now that I have wifi calling (and SMS/MMS) from my carrier.

Before that, I would not have gotten MMS over wifi. Same as SMS.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 10:43 PM
    MMS doesn't work over Wifi as far as I know. It's annoying.

I know on a lot of phones you can specify separate APNs for Internet traffic and for MMS. So, you could leave the MMS one alone and change the Internet APN to something invalid, that might work.
    This depends on both the carrier and phone model.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    10-02-13 09:11 AM