I'm with Rogers on a LTE BB unlimited plan, and a BB 9790.
    I plan to upgrading to a Z/Q10 later this year but I read here that there is no more BIS, and consequently no more BB plans with Rogers; I checked Roger's site and I could not find any BB plans any more...
    My plan is $52.13/month with 500MB traffic included; what they have now at this price has only 150MB...
    So, what are my options?
    1. stay with the current plan
    2. upgrade to... what?
    3. switch carriers?!
    Thanks for enlightening me.
    Last edited by aldebaran12; 02-07-13 at 11:03 AM.
    02-07-13 10:50 AM
    First I have a question... how can you have an LTE BB plan when up until now, there's never been an LTE BB?

As for your question, just call them up and adjust your plan for more data. If you've been with them for a while, they'll bump you up for minimal cost. I had the 500mb too but upgraded to 1g to be safe. I never even came close to using the 500 so I'm confident that 1g should be enough..... for me at least.
    02-07-13 11:13 AM
    So, yes, BB-specific plans are going away. In the long run, this is really a good thing, because it makes it much easier to compare plans back and forth.

No idea what your typical usage is, so it's hard to comment on whether you'd do better or not. I CAN tell you that LTE is pretty amazing, but I can see it becoming addictive. My strategy would be to identify all of the Wi-Fi opportunities at your disposal and see how many of them you make use of. One point: Dropbox on the Z10 allows you to disable syncing over the cell network. I can see that saving tons of bandwidth.

What I'd say the biggest determining factor should be for ANYONE going to BB10 is: what apps and/or BB features do you use now? Are they available yet, or a suitable substitute? And if no, is that a showstopper?
    chiniki likes this.
    02-07-13 11:21 AM
    I think you'll love the BB10 experience. So different than previous OS's. You will however, notice that there are some major differences in terms of customization of your phone. For example, bedside mode only has an on / off option. There is no option to turn it on at a certain time, etc. I would have to think this will be changed in a software update soon, (Maybe by the US launch???), but good things to know. Also, things like shrink emails to fit your screen are not available on the current BB10. Again, a lot of these things I would think are going to be changed in a software update. I'm with Rogers, and their LTE is very fast. We are on a family share plan with 4GB data, and don't tend to go over with 2 iPhones, 1 GS3 and my Z10.
    02-07-13 11:33 AM
    First I have a question... how can you have an LTE BB plan when up until now, there's never been an LTE BB?
    Maybe Rogers can answer your question?!
    Like I said, I am on a LTE BB plan since March 2012.
    As for upgrading my MB allowance, I never used more than 25MB so I see no need. I have WiFi at work and at home and I use it intensively.
    Thanks for answering my question though.
    02-10-13 06:59 PM
    So, yes, BB-specific plans are going away. In the long run, this is really a good thing, because it makes it much easier to compare plans back and forth.

No idea what your typical usage is, so it's hard to comment on whether you'd do better or not. I CAN tell you that LTE is pretty amazing, but I can see it becoming addictive. My strategy would be to identify all of the Wi-Fi opportunities at your disposal and see how many of them you make use of. One point: Dropbox on the Z10 allows you to disable syncing over the cell network. I can see that saving tons of bandwidth.

What I'd say the biggest determining factor should be for ANYONE going to BB10 is: what apps and/or BB features do you use now? Are they available yet, or a suitable substitute? And if no, is that a showstopper?
    I don't use many non native apps, mainly Yahoo Msg, WeatherTrax, and a couple others; I use my BB for communication purposes, and I always have access to a desktop/laptop to work; so apps are a non issue for me. The virtual keyboard is kind of turn off and I would wait the for the Q10.
    However, I don't undrstand how the elimination of BIS will increase the data traffic, care to explain?
    And one more: if I whitch to BB10, would it be possible to use my OS7 device again?
    Thanks.
    02-10-13 07:17 PM
    Well it's not specifically a LTE BB plan, it's a plan that supports LTE and BB. I am also on a 6GB LTE BB plan on Rogers.

OP, I'd definitely recommend upgrading your data plan. I have used just over 1GB in the last 6 days on my Z10.

Call up Rogers during business hours and select Account Changes, Other Options, Cancel A Feature. This way you will get through to customer relations, the department that can give you special deals. They have access to better plans than those listed on the website. Just explain that you want to renew your contract but only if you can get more data without spending more. Most likely they will be able to help you.
    02-10-13 07:18 PM
    Well it's not specifically a LTE BB plan, it's a plan that supports LTE and BB. I am also on a 6GB LTE BB plan on Rogers.

OP, I'd definitely recommend upgrading your data plan. I have used just over 1GB in the last 6 days on my Z10.

Call up Rogers during business hours and select Account Changes, Other Options, Cancel A Feature. This way you will get through to customer relations, the department that can give you special deals. They have access to better plans than those listed on the website. Just explain that you want to renew your contract but only if you can get more data without spending more. Most likely they will be able to help you.
    Thanks.
    I am with Rogers for almost 15 years but they can't care less. And I am not on a contract, but on a monthly basis, I paid full price for my phone in order not to be tied to a contract.
    Not sure I want to switch right now and if it is such a MB eater I'm even less convinced; I use mostly WiFi and occasionally browse the web on the cellular network so I'm not sure I really need to upgrade to more MB.
    Thanks.
    02-10-13 07:25 PM
    Thanks.
    I am with Rogers for almost 15 years but they can't care less. And I am not on a contract, but on a monthly basis, I paid full price for my phone in order not to be tied to a contract.
    Not sure I want to switch right now and if it is such a MB eater I'm even less convinced; I use mostly WiFi and occasionally browse the web on the cellular network so I'm not sure I really need to upgrade to more MB.
    Thanks.
    Well I am a much higher than average data user, not everyone needs 6GB. I'm just saying you will easily use double or triple the data you use on your "old" 9790. However if like you said you are mostly on WiFi then that is completely different.
    02-10-13 07:34 PM
    I don't use many non native apps, mainly Yahoo Msg, WeatherTrax, and a couple others; I use my BB for communication purposes, and I always have access to a desktop/laptop to work; so apps are a non issue for me. The virtual keyboard is kind of turn off and I would wait the for the Q10.
    However, I don't undrstand how the elimination of BIS will increase the data traffic, care to explain?
    And one more: if I whitch to BB10, would it be possible to use my OS7 device again?
    Thanks.
    All very good questions.

It's sounding like BB10 might work quite well for you. I'd say that the BIS traffic increase is probably more theoretical than anything else. It offered data compression, but not on the real bandwidth hogs like streaming audio or video. I'm not even completely clear on how much it actually compressed data, so I'm not sure you'd be missing that much.

I know many users prefer physical keyboards, but seriously, the Z10 keyboard almost qualifies as a whole new text entry method. Might be worth your while to at least try it.

As for using your OS7 device again... Are you thinking that you'd like to have the option to go back to your OS7 device if you don't like BB10? If that's the case it shouldn't be a huge issue (especially given what you've stated for usage). The Desktop Manager used for OS7 and previous doesn't really play nicely with Blackberry Link, so I wouldn't advise having them installed together on the same computer. I'd also warn that to migrate a BB10 phone BACK to OS7 might not be the easiest thing in the world, but it wouldn't be impossible.
    02-10-13 07:35 PM
    Rogers does care and customer relations don't want to lose a customer. I had them waive my upgrade free, waive my activation fee, increase my data and give me unlimited minutes for free 2 nights ago... sometimes you have to call back and speak to a different person. Some are willing to bend over backwards for you.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 07:37 PM
    Thanks @Thunderbuck.
    I believe that if I stay with my current plan I will be able to switch devices back and forth; but most likely I will not switch back if I upgrade.
    As for data usage, my max was 25MB so even tripling that I will stay well within my current 500MB.
    02-10-13 07:42 PM
    Rogers does care and customer relations don't want to lose a customer. I had them waive my upgrade free, waive my activation fee, increase my data and give me unlimited minutes for free 2 nights ago... sometimes you have to call back and speak to a different person. Some are willing to bend over backwards for you.

Thanks, I will inquire about my options.
    02-10-13 07:43 PM
    Thanks @Thunderbuck.
    I believe that if I stay with my current plan I will be able to switch devices back and forth; but most likely I will not switch back if I upgrade.
    As for data usage, my max was 25MB so even tripling that I will stay well within my current 500MB.
    it is not just for protocol or BIS that you should think about. New toy will cause YOU to do/want more...

jerryeight likes this.
    02-10-13 07:48 PM

As for your question, just call them up and adjust your plan for more data. If you've been with them for a while, they'll bump you up for minimal cost. I had the 500mb too but upgraded to 1g to be safe. I never even came close to using the 500 so I'm confident that 1g should be enough..... for me at least.
    If you have a BlackBerry PlayBook you can connect to the Internet via the BlackBerry Z10 via BlackBerry Bridge Bluetooth, tethering (might be an additional fee depending upon your carrier), and hotspot. This might factor into your decision about which data plan is appropriate to your unique situation.
    02-10-13 10:56 PM
    I know many users prefer physical keyboards, but seriously, the Z10 keyboard almost qualifies as a whole new text entry method. Might be worth your while to at least try it.
    I have to admit that I was initially sceptical about the BlackBerry Z10 virtual keyboard. Once I got used to it and the on-the-fly learning predictive typing capability the lure of the physical keyboard wanes slightly. The most difficult aspect of the virtual keyboard is learning to position my thumb precisely over the letter which unlike tactile keyboards provides zero feedback until the character appears on screen.
    02-10-13 11:01 PM