So a week and a half ago, my boyfriend's Z30 took an update. When it rebooted, the phone was set in perpetual 'Preparing Blackberry Hub' cycle - we waited past the 24 hour 'refractory' period. Hard rebooting (holding up & down buttons), didn't work. He could receive calls, but that's it - no access to settings, mail.

I read this has been a problem with the update in some cases - it's caused the phone to become bricked. I read up on the forms about Sachesi, Darcy's tools, etc. I felt bad because after his Windows phone started having problems I convinced him to try the Z30 and he eventually grew to love it, especially the huge screen real estate, but now here we are.

I first wanted to try a non destructive reload and used DT to create an OS/IFS only boot loader of the last known good OS, 2163. I did that, logged in to the phone and pushed it. It seemed to try and take, but the dialog box closed a little faster than I expected and I didn't have my eyes on it to see any messages to verify it wrote (I say this in preparation for what I am writing next paragraph). Okay. I wait... the phone now blinks two red, won't boot. I try to push the OS again, and manage to capture a message after login that says 'Abort. Error: Abort' before the cmd prompt closes. Not promising.

Made a loader of 2205, the failed OS. Also push it, and now I watch the command prompt like a hawk. To make a long story short, the phone status doesn't change from the double blinky, despite downloading the full debrick and pushing it to the phone. This is the text I get:

Trying to save my boyfriend's Z30-post-2nd-2205-push.jpg

It stays at the 'writing' status for a while (at zero), and then the command prompt closes, and the green light on the phone eventually changed back to two blinks.

I checked around to try and find what that error code means, and as far as I can tell it is either, 'no OS' or 'corrupt OS file'.

I am loath to bring it into Verizon, because well, I loathe Verizon. They have always given me crap about owning a BB and will denigrate it, make a snarky remark about why would anyone own one, or both. I also tried restoring to factory settings using Link, and it gets to 99 percent and then fails, saying there is a corrupt file and tells me to unplug/reset and try again.

Suggestions?
    05-21-17 02:02 PM
    Made a loader of 2205
    Maybe I am not understanding correctly but it seems like you tried to make your own autoloader? I would just go here: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...links-1098162/ and download and install the CORRECT autoloader for the Z30 from Thurask's archive. Sorry if I have misunderstood.
    05-21-17 02:19 PM
    Made a loader of 2205
    -double post!
    05-21-17 02:19 PM
    I suspect that you either got a corrupt copy of the firmware or you corrupted something while trying the non-destructive install. I'd consider getting another copy and trying again. Maybe stick with the AL for now as well. You can get into the phone with DT or Sachesi or even the Chrome extension to dump stuff you don't want after the phone is restored. Unfortunately, I don't see the non-destructive load working out. This will take the full wipe and reload that goes with the AL.

I expect that Big Red will tell you to pack sand if you ask them for help. They seem to know very little about BlackBerry 10 (I often knew more about my device than they did), and they certainly won't want to help if they realize that you tried to fix it yourself.

Good luck.
    05-21-17 02:21 PM
    I agree.. a fresh install is the best way to go. Give it a few days after getting it up and going before loading your data from the last Link backup that was made.
    05-21-17 02:31 PM
    Perhaps I am confusing something here - I've tried to cram in understanding using the OS, autoloader and tools into a busy week, and I'm tired from building raised beds all day yesterday - but when I download the file from Thurask and unzip it, it's a .signed file and a folder(s), or unzipped it's a .bar file, which is what I use to make an autoloader.

I used the link in his 1.0.3.3.1463plusapp doc to get to the debrick .bar file directly.

It's STA100-3, btw.

And thanks for responding so quickly!
    05-21-17 02:38 PM
    which is what I use to make an autoloader.
    You don't need to make an autoloader, it is already made for you. When you download it to your PC's desktop, just unzip it and you will get an .exe file. Plug your Z30 into your PC then click on the .exe file. You will have a fresh install in about 15-20 minutes.
    05-21-17 02:48 PM
    You don't need to make an autoloader, it is already made for you. When you download it to your PC's desktop, just unzip it and you will get an .exe file. Plug your Z30 into your PC then click on the .exe file. You will have a fresh install in about 15-20 minutes.
    I tried Thurask's file on his share, but it doesn't work. After the screenshot above where the progress bar at the bottom doesn't seem to get beyond zero, the command prompt closes and I get a green light for a while, then it reverts to two blinking lights.

So I used the link in Thurask's 10.3.3.1463plusapps file to download the Debrick. I saw it wasn't an exe so I unpacked it, still didn't see an .exe file so I used the original file, (which is .bar extension), to make an autoloader. Unless those Debrick files need to be used in another way....?

In a plot twist, my Q10 phone - which I thought had been updated to 2505 because I just downloaded an update recently - apparently HADN'T been upgraded to 2505 (that must have been a really late 2163 push), and it also has the 'preparing Blackberry Hub' issue too. I'm leaving that for now, and focusing on the BF's phone to see if mine fixes myself, unlike his.
    05-22-17 01:21 PM
    I tried Thurask's file on his share, but it doesn't work. After the screenshot above where the progress bar at the bottom doesn't seem to get beyond zero, the command prompt closes and I get a green light for a while, then it reverts to two blinking lights.

So I used the link in Thurask's 10.3.3.1463plusapps file to download the Debrick. I saw it wasn't an exe so I unpacked it, still didn't see an .exe file so I used the original file, (which is .bar extension), to make an autoloader. Unless those Debrick files need to be used in another way....?

In a plot twist, my Q10 phone - which I thought had been updated to 2505 because I just downloaded an update recently - apparently HADN'T been upgraded to 2505 (that must have been a really late 2163 push), and it also has the 'preparing Blackberry Hub' issue too. I'm leaving that for now, and focusing on the BF's phone to see if mine fixes myself, unlike his.
    I will try running Thurask's file again - I accidentally let the phone drain down and it's acting different this morning when I plug it in...? I got a notification that device software has been loaded for Blackberry, which is odd - I never got that before.
    05-22-17 01:25 PM

The download is : https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WdHeS1uLWNYRk0
    ---second file from the last with "Z30" in it.

Once you download this to your desktop unzip it with 7zip utility (or winzip) to get an .exe file. Was this the autoloader you tried? If it is, then perhaps you somehow corrupted it. You could also try (if you haven't already) the file from Mega as well. We know that they are both good, so if neither work then either you have a lemon Z30 or you are making an error somewhere along the procedure. If the autoloader does not work, there really is no point trying to make your own as you won't have any better luck.
    05-22-17 01:33 PM
    I will try running Thurask's file again - I accidentally let the phone drain down and it's acting different this morning when I plug it in...? I got a notification that device software has been loaded for Blackberry, which is odd - I never got that before.
    So it works now!

I like I said above, the update was stopped at writing, (the screenshot), but today the phone was out of power and I decided to try the update again, in case the old exe had been corrupted somehow like ppl mentioned above. When I plugged the phone in I received a message that device driver SW was being installed for it, which I never got before, and then the OS updated successfully! Unfortunately it was the complete OS, so the items on the device got wiped, but he's ecstatic that it's working!

So thanks for the support. Now I hope my Q10 recovers and I don't have to do this over. =(
    05-22-17 06:26 PM
    By the way, I wanted to add something about how I made this work, for posterity.

The file didn't work the several times I tried it, (just trying to replace the OS and keep the files), so I tried to do a clean, but had similar issues.

I accidentally let the battery run down, (forgot I unplugged the USB cable), and decided to try one last time... the OS took, and booted! I thought that was odd, so I considered what I did. I had a clean install, and tried to repro the issue.

With the phone fully charged, the re-install of the OS hung and it messed up the clean install I had just put on there. When I let the battery deplete, plugged the phone in and then ran the OS install one more time sure enough I got the progress indicator and the installation was successful.
    07-12-17 07:15 PM
    Use the blackberry link software in your PC and do a reload of the Os. That has always worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-17 06:58 PM