Google is such a big company that we can trust it with our most personal information on our phones -- like what we searched for, our intimate photos, what we write in our documents and where we were last Tuesday at 4:15 p.m.

But if we can't trust Facebook which is about as big as Google, does that mean that Google also might be corruptible? Oh, maybe I will never make that conversion to the latest Blackdroid device. When all my BB10 devices fail, I'm moving to Sailfish or whatever is around.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/attorne...ata-1522090027
    duncan86 likes this.
    03-26-18 05:26 PM
    The problem is that there really isn't ANYTHING apart from Android or iOS. Not in any usable, practical way at least.
    melhiore and KermEd like this.
    03-26-18 05:57 PM
    Google collects a tremendous amount of into but they tend to espouse an 'its all mine' philosophy. ie they don't have an API platform like Facebook did/does from which partners can scrape all the info tied to your contacts.

From the various interviews/articles I've read, the ad side of Facebook was quite strict about personally identifiable info but not the platform API.
    03-26-18 06:19 PM
    The problem is that there really isn't ANYTHING apart from Android or iOS. Not in any usable, practical way at least.
    Well, there was. It was BB10. But, at the time BB10 hit the market everyone was batsh*t crazy about Angry Birds and fart apps...neither of which BB10 offered.

Fast forward 5 years after everyone has pigged out on apps and now we are beginning to hear about security and privacy concerns. Ahhh....the consumer....he is a foolish one.
    03-26-18 08:02 PM
    Well, there was. It was BB10. But, at the time BB10 hit the market everyone was batsh*t crazy about Angry Birds and fart apps...neither of which BB10 offered.

Fast forward 5 years after everyone has pigged out on apps and now we are beginning to hear about security and privacy concerns. Ahhh....the consumer....he is a foolish one.
    BlackBerry 10 had plenty of angry birds, Rovio pulled them all recently so even if you own them you can't download a copy.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-18 08:18 PM
    Google collects a tremendous amount of into but they tend to espouse an 'its all mine' philosophy. ie they don't have an API platform like Facebook did/does from which partners can scrape all the info tied to your contacts.

From the various interviews/articles I've read, the ad side of Facebook was quite strict about personally identifiable info but not the platform API.
    Why doesn't google request microphone permission for playstore ???
    03-27-18 07:46 AM
    Oh no... not the dreaded Google!

In today's world of technology... if you are going to start worrying about things, you'll have an ulcer. Be mindful of what you share, take some precautions.... but live your life. Odd are a Chinese satellite will take you out be for Google shares you "intimate" photos with the world.

Sailfish has some known issue of it's own and far fewer people "testing" it - as few that have it use it on their daily drivers. Besides Android can be used, without the "Google". Buy a Pixel and install CopperheadOS on it.
    teddymuema and skinnymike1 like this.
    03-27-18 11:47 AM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0ce3fa8333.jpg
    voice search...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-27-18 12:19 PM
    I don't think Google requests permissions for its own default apps on Android. Non-Google apps installed on carrier versions of OS that most would consider bloatware that reside in system partition won't ask for permissions either.
    03-27-18 03:48 PM

The app gap was certainly an issue, but I think it was more the amount of money that BB had tied up in developing BB10 and the associated hardware that really doomed things.
    03-27-18 03:52 PM

Actually, my first blackberry, a Z10, was pre-loaded with angry birds. Tried it maybe once, but didn't really like the game.

Yes, BB10's undoing was due to the lack of 'essential apps' the market demanded.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.2205

Posted via CB10
    03-27-18 07:27 PM
    The Facebook has had dubious privacy standards from inception, and an owner with no standards at all. Never joined, never will. I give the Google limited trust.
    melhiore and DrBoomBotz like this.
    03-27-18 10:13 PM
    The Facebook has had dubious privacy standards from inception, and an owner with no standards at all. Never joined, never will. I give the Google limited trust.
    And here I thought I was the last Facebook holdout in the galaxy!

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and BlueOhSix like this.
    03-27-18 11:31 PM
    The app gap was certainly an issue, but I think it was more the amount of money that BB had tied up in developing BB10 and the associated hardware that really doomed things.
    Timing.... was more the issue.

BlackBerry was still cash rich when they launched BB10, development cost weren't the issue. Being late to decide they needed to develop a new OS and then taking three (really four as BB10 wasn't ready in 2014) to launch their new OS was the issue.

Same issue that Microsoft had with Windows phone... the battle was lost long before these two got around to fighting the war. Apps were a big part of it, but so too was the overall package.

Consumer aren't going to pay more for security, they don't value the BlackBerry brand like the Apple brand is valued, and BlackBerry couldn't compete with Android OEMs. Same thing that is preventing BBMo from gaining ground (Motion has gotten little to no support). All the brand has at this point is the PKB design that few other OEMs see being worth their time.
    03-28-18 07:58 AM
    Timing.... was more the issue.

BlackBerry was still cash rich when they launched BB10, development cost weren't the issue. Being late to decide they needed to develop a new OS and then taking three (really four as BB10 wasn't ready in 2014) to launch their new OS was the issue.

Same issue that Microsoft had with Windows phone... the battle was lost long before these two got around to fighting the war. Apps were a big part of it, but so too was the overall package.

Consumer aren't going to pay more for security, they don't value the BlackBerry brand like the Apple brand is valued, and BlackBerry couldn't compete with Android OEMs. Same thing that is preventing BBMo from gaining ground (Motion has gotten little to no support). All the brand has at this point is the PKB design that few other OEMs see being worth their time.
    As company, BlackBerry was cash rich when compared to itself four years later. Compared with the big three, BlackBerry was really never cash rich because it was a much smaller company in practically every way.
    03-28-18 08:17 AM
    As company, BlackBerry was cash rich when compared to itself four years later. Compared with the big three, BlackBerry was really never cash rich because it was a much smaller company in practically every way.
    I agree... but BlackBerry wasn't in Palm's situation when they launched WebOS and didn't have the cash to do anything. Just saying "cash" wasn't the reason that BB10 failed...
    03-28-18 11:03 AM
    Oh no... not the dreaded Google!

In today's world of technology... if you are going to start worrying about things, you'll have an ulcer. Be mindful of what you share, take some precautions.... but live your life. Odd are a Chinese satellite will take you out be for Google shares you "intimate" photos with the world.

Sailfish has some known issue of it's own and far fewer people "testing" it - as few that have it use it on their daily drivers. Besides Android can be used, without the "Google". Buy a Pixel and install CopperheadOS on it.
    Geez, was there ever a generation of Americans what would espouse this philosophy? Don't worry! Let corporations spy on you in your own home! What could go wrong?

Fortunately, the U.S. government is waking up. All this data collection is screaming for some consumer protection regulation and statutes.
    03-28-18 01:56 PM
    I agree... but BlackBerry wasn't in Palm's situation when they launched WebOS and didn't have the cash to do anything. Just saying "cash" wasn't the reason that BB10 failed...
    My point exactly. BBRY had a much smaller market cap but I don't believe that a market cap of $50 billion in 2010 is too small a company to launch its own line of smartphones. It also had a lot of clout in the industry at that time. The problem wasn't cash but poor decision-making both before and after Chen (in my opinion).
    03-28-18 02:02 PM
    There is still a choice, if you don't want to be data mined:
    https://www.recode.net/2018/3/28/171...ark-zuckerberg
    03-28-18 02:05 PM
    There is still a choice, if you don't want to be data mined:
    https://www.recode.net/2018/3/28/171...ark-zuckerberg
    Gee, I wonder why Apple wants Google to be under stricter regulation. Lol.
    03-28-18 02:24 PM
    Fortunately, the U.S. government is waking up.
    TG, because the US government would never spy on it's citizens.
    03-28-18 08:59 PM
    My point exactly. BBRY had a much smaller market cap but I don't believe that a market cap of $50 billion in 2010 is too small a company to launch its own line of smartphones. It also had a lot of clout in the industry at that time. The problem wasn't cash but poor decision-making both before and after Chen (in my opinion).
    Market cap isn't cash. The market cap is the outstanding shares owned by shareholders. How would BlackBerry spend "market cap" ?

The problem was the industry didn't want BlackBerry to have the clout that it did for a smaller company, relatively speaking.

Cash was always the problem. Compared to rest of the industry, BlackBerry cash position was small. Billion dollars sounds large unless your competitors have 10-20x that at their disposal.
    03-28-18 09:26 PM
    Google is such a big company that we can trust it with our most personal information on our phones -- like what we searched for, our intimate photos, what we write in our documents and where we were last Tuesday at 4:15 p.m.

But if we can't trust Facebook which is about as big as Google, does that mean that Google also might be corruptible? Oh, maybe I will never make that conversion to the latest Blackdroid device. When all my BB10 devices fail, I'm moving to Sailfish or whatever is around.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/attorne...ata-1522090027
    Why are we rehashing the failure of BB10 and BlackBerry as a handset manufacturer again? Trust the topic, and stick with it.
    03-28-18 09:57 PM
    TG, because the US government would never spy on it's citizens.
    Or its presidential candidates. But that is another issue. I son't want my personal info floating all over the place or sold or maybe sold to random companies and stored forever.
    03-30-18 02:39 AM
    Or its presidential candidates. But that is another issue. I son't want my personal info floating all over the place or sold or maybe sold to random companies and stored forever.
    If you're using the Internet, that already happens. If you drive a vehicle or have a driver's license that already happens. If you shop in any stores and pay with anything other than cash, that already happens. The original collector and user of data, from biblical times, was probably the government, with businessmen following right behind.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-30-18 06:55 AM
77 123 ...