Took my Z10 on its first travels over the holidays and noticed a few instances of very high CPU usage for the System process, resulting in rapid battery drain and high temperatures. It seemed to happen every time I landed in a new place and turned the phone back on. I attributed the first instance to a new network and time zone (redoing all the calendar entries?) when I landed in Seattle. However, I had the same issue flying from Vancouver down to California, when there was no time zone change, so I guessed it was a network issue. I spent the rest of my vacation running on a T-Mo SIM, and experienced the same issue (not as bad) when I landed in Chicago, still running off the T-Mo network. Coming back to Montreal and swapping back to the Fido SIM also resulted in some high usage (also not as bad as before).

Any jetsetters who have experienced this or any insights as to the cause?
    01-07-14 01:41 AM
    Took my Z10 on its first travels over the holidays and noticed a few instances of very high CPU usage for the System process, resulting in rapid battery drain and high temperatures. It seemed to happen every time I landed in a new place and turned the phone back on. I attributed the first instance to a new network and time zone (redoing all the calendar entries?) when I landed in Seattle. However, I had the same issue flying from Vancouver down to California, when there was no time zone change, so I guessed it was a network issue. I spent the rest of my vacation running on a T-Mo SIM, and experienced the same issue (not as bad) when I landed in Chicago, still running off the T-Mo network. Coming back to Montreal and swapping back to the Fido SIM also resulted in some high usage (also not as bad as before).

Any jetsetters who have experienced this or any insights as to the cause?

My first guess would be it is GPS related.

Have you been using maps, navigation or any other apps that check your location?

Sometimes even after an app that uses location services terminates, it leaves the GPS radio "stuck on". A reboot normally will clear that.
    01-07-14 02:42 AM
    Hmmm, that may be the issue. I don't use maps much locally, but I'm sure there are other apps that make use of location services. I have observed that frequently when I unlock my phone I see the location icon on the top of the screen. Now the challenge is to figure out which app is the culprit.

Posted via Z10 on the best touchscreen keyboard.
    01-07-14 11:51 AM
    Hmmm, that may be the issue. I don't use maps much locally, but I'm sure there are other apps that make use of location services. I have observed that frequently when I unlock my phone I see the location icon on the top of the screen. Now the challenge is to figure out which app is the culprit.

Yep, that location services icon is definitely a dead giveaway.

First thing I would look at outside of navigation and maps apps are shopping apps or anything that deals with local venues, many of them do location lookups to populate the local places onto the top of the list they give you.

And of course there's no guarantee some app isn't just being nosy because they can.

Depending on which OS version you are running, you may be able to go into the Settings/Security and Privacy/Application Permissions menu and then select from the Permissions drop-down the "Location" permission, and that will show you all apps that ask for the ability to use location services. (And in OS 10.2.x.x, also which ones you have granted or denied their request to that permission)

That should narrow the list down quite a bit.
    01-14-14 06:11 AM
    Yep, that location services icon is definitely a dead giveaway.

First thing I would look at outside of navigation and maps apps are shopping apps or anything that deals with local venues, many of them do location lookups to populate the local places onto the top of the list they give you.

And of course there's no guarantee some app isn't just being nosy because they can.

Depending on which OS version you are running, you may be able to go into the Settings/Security and Privacy/Application Permissions menu and then select from the Permissions drop-down the "Location" permission, and that will show you all apps that ask for the ability to use location services. (And in OS 10.2.x.x, also which ones you have granted or denied their request to that permission)

That should narrow the list down quite a bit.
    I suspect it's a nosy app. I've tried checking App Manager when I see the icon, but haven't caught anything. Most of my apps with location permissions are not supposed to run on their own...

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    01-27-14 11:03 AM
    I found travelling Asia Pacific that if I did not turn my network down to 3G my battery consumed more trying to find LTE.

Posted via My rocking Z30 on CB Forums
    01-27-14 01:56 PM
    I had a similar issue with my UK Z10 when travelling in the US. I also had a T-Mobile simply, and noticed I couldn't get more than EDGE, and this seemed to really drain the battery.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 04:24 PM
    Probably because the phone is searching for edge / 3G / LTE and/or is rapidly switch between these due to signal issues.

I have faced similar issues, I solved it by switching to only 3G in network settings or only EDGE .

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    01-27-14 04:50 PM