I have used a Z10 phone for many years and now want to move to a Passport. I have the new Passport updated and now installing my previous apps from BlackBerry World.

I find that a couple of apps I purchased license for are no longer available in BW. Is there any way I can find the Bar files on my Z10 and copy/transfer them to my Passport?
    08-21-19 11:18 AM
    Is there any way I can find the Bar files on my Z10 and copy/transfer them to my Passport?
    The short answer is.. no. If you purchased them and they're no longer in your BlackBerry World under your My World purchases, they're gone.
    aveley likes this.
    08-21-19 11:29 AM
    I was afraid I would hear that. Just one app so not too much of a loss.

Thanks Bla1ze
    08-21-19 01:12 PM
    I was afraid I would hear that. Just one app so not too much of a loss.

Thanks Bla1ze
    For now... a few month, might be something very different.

Should have been about to do a device switch in LINK... I taught that would bring over all your apps.
    08-21-19 01:43 PM
    to my limited knowledge Link will only transfer Contacts, Calendar and some other stuff but no apps. You have to reinstall apps from BlackBerry World.
    08-21-19 03:08 PM
    to my limited knowledge Link will only transfer Contacts, Calendar and some other stuff but no apps. You have to reinstall apps from BlackBerry World.
    Link restores apps.
    08-21-19 03:35 PM
    Link restores apps.
    Yes.

But, only if you backed them up, including the executables, first.

But, yes, Link has that option.
    08-21-19 05:44 PM
    Could you send me a web link that has instructions on how to use Link to transfer apps? Do you use Link to restore them on the new phone?
    08-22-19 10:18 AM
    Could you send me a web link that has instructions on how to use Link to transfer apps? Do you use Link to restore them on the new phone?
    When you do your backup, just select custom backup and tick off anything you want to keep. Restore the same way.
    08-22-19 10:51 AM
    It's not really about just transferring a few apps, you do a device backup and you do a device restore or switch... you can be somewhat selective on what is restored.
    08-22-19 10:52 AM
    Thanks for everyones suggestions. I'll give it a try.
    08-22-19 11:03 AM
    installed BlackBerry desktop Link software on 2 Windows 10 computers but can't complete a Backup on either computer. Link shows the Z10 connected but after 2 or 3 minutes Link shows a error message - "Could not complete backup. Be sure the device is connected " .

Is there some setting on my phone that needs to be changed?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    08-22-19 02:40 PM
    installed BlackBerry desktop Link software on 2 Windows 10 computers but can't complete a Backup on either computer. Link shows the Z10 connected but after 2 or 3 minutes Link shows a error message - "Could not complete backup. Be sure the device is connected " .

Is there some setting on my phone that needs to be changed?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Link is pretty hit and miss these days... some it works just fine, other it works for some features and not other, and for others it will never even see a phone connected. Systems just are varied - drivers, background services....

Can try enabling SMB1 Sharing Protocol (make sure to turn back off when your done). See if that helps, but I taught it was more for moving files than backups.

Remove all BlackBerry software - go into registry editor and remove anything with the word "BlackBerry". Reboot and disable any virus/malware scanners - and then reinstall LINK.

Also try not to use a USB3 port.
    08-22-19 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion but all that is beyond my skill level.
    08-22-19 04:27 PM
    Try and get access to a windows 7 machine, Link works fine for backup and restore on the older Windows 7.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    08-22-19 05:20 PM
    Try Darcys Tools instead. I find it to be less finicky than Link for backups. There should be download links if you poke around the forums.

EDIT: here's the one I used recently: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zpo2i86dg...1.0.1.rar?dl=0

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mh1983; 08-23-19 at 11:04 AM.
    08-22-19 05:44 PM
    Try and get access to a windows 7 machine, Link works fine for backup and restore on the older Windows 7.

Hey aveley,

Link does still work well on Windows 10 if you enable SMBv1, but you can also use either Sachesi or Darcy's Blackberry Tools as mh1983 suggests. Here's a how-to on that:

Link to Sachesi:

https://mega.nz/#!48IT0AoZ!y11xJcYBk...9TPIv8WRHX_YY8

Link to DBBT:

https://mega.nz/#!RlZXQADZ!DtfI0LT6h...ZIMF7F0hG9Nido

Instructions for Backing Up Using Sachesi:

1. Unzip files into a folder of your choice.

2. Plug your device into your computer.

3. Run Sachesi.exe from whatever folder you unzipped the files to in #1 .

4. You will see a screen that says "Talking to (number) possible devices"; wait a few minutes and you should see a screen that lists all your installed apps.

5. Click the Backup tab at the top of the window.

6. Select all the categories you want to back up (I suggest all of them for your purposes).

7. You can let Sachesi calculate the data size for the backups if you like, but unless you want to do some form of custom backup I'd suggest clicking "Create Backup Blind."

8. Select a folder in which to store the backup and a file name.

9. Tap Save.

10. The backup will begin.
    Instructions For Restoring Using Sachesi:

3. Run Sachesi.exe from whatever folder you unzipped the files to in #1 .

4. You will see a screen that says "Talking to (number) possible devices"; wait a few minutes and you should see a screen that lists all your installed apps.

5. Click the Backup tab at the top of the window.

6. Select all the categories you want to restore (I suggest all of them for your purposes).

7. Select "Restore Backup".

8. Navigate to where you have stored your backup file (usually in your Windows profile's Documents folder --> BlackBerry --> Backup ).

9. Double click on the backup file.

10. The restore process will begin.
    Instructions For Backing Up Using DBBT:

3. Run DBBTool.exe from whatever folder you unzipped the files to in #1 .

4. You will see a window with a number of buttons on the left; click Backup Manager.

5. Click "Create Backup From Phone."

6. Select the categories of data you wish to back up (probably all of them). If you wish to custom back up only specific apps, you can click "Show Details." Check the box for any app's "bin" file where you want to back up the app itself, or check the box for the app's "data" where you want to back up data related to the app (custom playlists, login information, etc.)

7. Click Start Backup when ready.

8. Select a folder in which to store the backup and a file name to call it.

9. Click Save.

10. The backup will begin.
    Instructions To Restore Using DBBT:

3. Run DBBTool.exe from whatever folder you unzipped the files to in #1 .

4. You will see a window with a number of buttons on the left; click Backup Manager.

5. Click the "Inspect Another Backup File" button near the top right of the screen; navigate to the folder where you stored your backups (usually your Windows profile's Documents folder --> BlackBerry --> Backup). Select the backup you wish to restore and double-click it.

6. You will see this file along with all other backups in the main white space at the top center; tap the backup file you wish to restore again.

7. You will see some additional information about this backup, including the Blackberry ID it was made with and the device PIN it was made from, in the center of the screen.

8. Click "Restore Backup to Phone", then navigate to the folder as needed and double-click the backup file you wish to restore.

9. Select the categories of data you wish to restore (if you select "Show Details" next to Application Data you can restore only specific apps or app data if desired).

10. Click Start Restore when everything is set as you want it.

11. The restore process will begin.
    Let us know if you have any more trouble; happy to help you preserve your apps or assist with your BB10 needs in general!
    08-23-19 04:20 PM
    Thanks for the links and instructions. I downloaded Sachesi and installed it. I have used earlier versions. However it won't run. I get the following error messages.

VCRuntime140.dll is missing.
    MSVCP140.dll was not found.

I downloaded and installed DBBT and working on a backup now. I'll let you know how it goes.
    08-23-19 04:59 PM
    DBBT failed on several backup attempts. The first time after 701,018kb. So I tried again and unchecked a few apps. The next backup died at 1,240,732kb. So I unchecked more apps and a third time was successful. However the restore on my other phone seemed to mess up BlackBerry Runtime. How can I uninstall Runtime and then reinstall?
    08-23-19 08:05 PM
    I'd again suggest Darcys Tools. It's never failed me once on Win 10.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-19 08:34 AM
    where can I find Darcys Tools?
    08-24-19 11:05 AM
    where can I find Darcys Tools?
    Look back at post #17 . TrumpetTiger provided a link there.
    08-24-19 11:10 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion but all that is beyond my skill level.
    If you can get hold of a windows 7 machine you don't need to jump through any hoops, it will just work.

I use windows 10 but it isn't straight forward whereas 7 or even 8.1 works too.

08-24-19 11:50 AM
    Look back at post #17 . TrumpetTiger provided a link there.
    And in post#16 by me.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-19 11:51 AM
    Sorry I didn't realize that DBBT is Darbys Tools. Still it fails on some of the apps I want to backup and one of those is BB Runtime.
    08-24-19 12:13 PM
28 12