hello everyone. Im really interested to get myself a BB Z10, been reading a lot and I LOVE BB10 OS.
    while i see many people posting here about pros and cons, I have questions of my own.

1) Apps - Which social apps are available for BB10 currently ? (whatsapp, skype etc), does Gmaps works on BB10 ?
    2) Battery life - ?
    3) If I convert an apk file to bar file, will it run in android environment or native BB ?
    4) Can i add my contacts from google ?

as I stated in the thread this is my first time going-to-be BB experience. I'd like some help regarding it. Thanks.
    02-09-13 09:31 PM
    hello everyone. Im really interested to get myself a BB Z10, been reading a lot and I LOVE BB10 OS.
    while i see many people posting here about pros and cons, I have questions of my own.

1) Apps - Which social apps are available for BB10 currently ? (whatsapp, skype etc), does Gmaps works on BB10 ?
    2) Battery life - ?
    3) If I convert an apk file to bar file, will it run in android environment or native BB ?
    4) Can i add my contacts from google ?

as I stated in the thread this is my first time going-to-be BB experience. I'd like some help regarding it. Thanks.
    1) Skype and whatsapp are both confirmed as coming soon from both companies. No dates have been released, but I'm betting prior to march.

2) coming from a Nexus 4, Z10 has about 150% the battery life, which is not bad at all. Though the first 2 days it was not that great, it improved drastically by the third day.

3) it will run in android environment but you won't be able to tell the difference. It's in the normal launcher with the rest of your apps, and you can hide the android bar at the bottom and use a sideways swipe from the bottom to go back, so it looks exactly like native apps (minus the app interface, of course). Performance is actually not bad. There's a 3D RC airplane game on BlackBerry world that I honestly thought was native until I saw there was no back button and used the android back swipe.

4) you sure can. All my contacts are from google, and obviously the phone linked them with Facebook, Twitter, etc.
    Ali Javed likes this.
    02-09-13 10:41 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

To expand on InvalidUser0510's answer regarding the three apps you mentioned, here's the status on each:
    Whatsapp and Skype - not currently available but coming per official statement
    Google Maps - not available as a native app but available as a web app at maps.google.com (you can also create an icon on the homescreen), an actual app coming is rumored

For other social apps, apps for the four main social platforms are already available: Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare and LinkedIn. Instagram is coming per unofficial sources. For Tumblr, several third-party applications are available.
    Ali Javed likes this.
    02-10-13 01:24 AM
    alrighty, thankyou guys
    im starting to like the community and i'll be getting my z10 soon. hopefully.
    just another quick question. I saw the q10 hands on videos, in one video the guy shows the 2100mah battery and its similar to z10's, is it possible to use that one instead ?
    02-10-13 11:02 PM
    alrighty, thankyou guys
    im starting to like the community and i'll be getting my z10 soon. hopefully.
    just another quick question. I saw the q10 hands on videos, in one video the guy shows the 2100mah battery and its similar to z10's, is it possible to use that one instead ?
    Yes, you'll find that BlackBerry users are a sophisticated, helpful bunch. They are generally can-do people, which is why they choose BlackBerry products.

About battery choices: yes, that is a difference between the Q10 and the Z10. BlackBerry Z10 is offered with a smaller battery and BlackBerry Q10 with the larger, 2100mah battery. No bigger battery is offered for the Z10. However, the battery is removable and exchangeable by the user. BlackBerry also markets a separate, lightweight battery charger that has two cables and lets you charge your spare battery at the same time as your phone.
    02-10-13 11:52 PM
    Yes, you'll find that BlackBerry users are a sophisticated, helpful bunch. They are generally can-do people, which is why they choose BlackBerry products.
    'cept for me,,, i'm a crass, tactless, rude, obnoxious, uneducated nut teetering on the brink of complete & utter insanity & i choose BlackBerry 'cuz they spell my words for me...
    02-11-13 01:28 AM
    'cept for me,,, i'm a crass, tactless, rude, obnoxious, uneducated nut teetering on the brink of complete & utter insanity & i choose BlackBerry 'cuz they spell my words for me...
    Haha, then for you, it's a good thing that BlackBerry is not in a position to turn down customers, especially those who are willing to buy a BlackBerry 10 device.

Oh and you're still choosing BlackBerry for "can-do" features, namely word substitution and unsurpassed keyboard experience.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    02-11-13 01:43 AM
    Haha, then for you, it's a good thing that BlackBerry is not in a position to turn down customers, especially those who are willing to buy a BlackBerry 10 device.

Oh and you're still choosing BlackBerry for "can-do" features, namely word substitution and unsurpassed keyboard experience.
    well, i'm a touchscreener these days, but yes, you are correct,,, now, back to my comfy jacket & a room w/ pillowed walls...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 02-12-13 at 08:30 PM.
    02-11-13 03:18 PM