Of course Google uses it. That's not the issue. It's what is passed on to 3rd parties that is being discussed.

I have little doubt that Google knows the size of my right nut. I just don't want the restaurant at the end of the street to know it too.
    You're over simplifying. It's not JUST about what's passed on to third parties. In many instances, Google IS the third party and records information between two other parties. If I use an Android device to look at something on the Internet, even if I never use Google search and type the url directly, Google will still record the information....even if that information is highly sensitive in nature.
    01-30-18 07:25 PM
    What part from the 3rd party privacy exceptions above are you having trouble with, or find ambiguous?
    In a nutshell I have a problem with nearly all of it. We'd have to go word by word, but what's most important is not so much what they say, but what they DON'T say. They throw a handful of things at you that sound harmless enough on their surface but when you probe deeper, they are so wide open that Google can do basically whatever it wants with your data.

Also, what is the destruction plan for that data? You indicated you don't want the restaurant down the the street to know the size of your right nut...but what happens when Google makes a tactile error and goes BK? Assets will be sold to the highest bidder, and their policies may be distinctly different than the current policies. Just because you haven't been harmed yet, doesn't mean you won't be in the future.

And it's different than a bank which is FDIC insured and can restore you to your original financial condition in the case of a loss.

With information, that damage cannot be undone. Once a reputation has been damaged, there is no repair.

You obviously trust Google. That's your decision. You've read the TOS and seem comfortable with them. I support your right to do that.

I'm not a smoker, but I support people's right to smoke. But I also feel that if Big Tobacco knows their product is harmful then Big Tobacco should disclose that to people so they can make an informed decision.....and not obscured in some long lengthy document, but in a simple fashion so people get it. If people still decide to smoke then I'm cool with that.

What Google doesn't tell you in their TOS are the RISKS of using their services. There are many.
    01-30-18 07:48 PM
    They throw a handful of things at you that sound harmless enough on their surface but when you probe deeper, they are so wide open that Google can do basically whatever it wants with your data.
    For instance?
    01-30-18 07:51 PM

You obviously trust Google. That's your decision. You've read the TOS and seem comfortable with them. I support your right to do that.

I'm not a smoker, but I support people's right to smoke. But I also feel that if Big Tobacco knows their product is harmful then Big Tobacco should disclose that to people so they can make an informed decision.
    Using Google is more comparable to driving a car than smoking. The former involves significant quid pro quo.

I could sit around worried about Google going bankrupt in 20 years, but I'd rather use their extensive services during that time instead. If GMail is going to be my eventual undoing, I'll have a couple billion people joining me in hell too.
    01-30-18 07:55 PM
    Using Google is more comparable to driving a car than smoking. The former involves significant quid pro quo.

I could sit around worried about Google going bankrupt in 20 years, but I'd rather use their extensive services during that time instead. If GMail is going to be my eventual undoing, I'll have a couple billion people joining me in hell too.
    IMO, you're looking at risk in a very narrow way. The risks are not that one person's information will be used for a cyber crime. The risk is that the use of big data combined with machine learning, high speed automation and AI will make it pretty simple to influence people's opinions and choices by manipulating the timing and substance of the information they receive.

Beyond that, our inability to maintain privacy about everything from our purchasing habits to career plans to romantic partners ton political views may degrade our sense of self as individuals.

I love technology, and am optimistic about our future, but there are significant repercussions that may result from indiscriminate use of technology without proper public debate and political decision-making about how to protect our rights as individuals and the integrity of our society.

To say that Google following the rules of its TOS regarding privacy is sufficient to protect us is like saying that the Boards of Directors of financial companies following their risk management rules in 2003-7 was sufficient to protect the integrity of our financial system.

It is dangerous to underestimated the magnitude of risks we haven't encountered before,

Posted with my trusty Z10
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-30-18 08:28 PM

Take a look at all the warnings on your car the next time you get in it....
    01-30-18 08:34 PM
    IMO, you're looking at risk in a very narrow way. The risks are not that one person's information will be used for a cyber crime. The risk is that the use of big data combined with machine learning, high speed automation and AI will make it pretty simple to influence people's opinions and choices by manipulating the timing and substance of the information they receive.

Beyond that, our inability to maintain privacy about everything from our purchasing habits to career plans to romantic partners ton political views may degrade our sense of self as individuals.

I love technology, and am optimistic about our future, but there are significant repercussions that may result from indiscriminate use of technology without proper public debate and political decision-making about how to protect our rights as individuals and the integrity of our society.

To say that Google following the rules of its TOS regarding privacy is sufficient to protect us is like saying that the Boards of Directors of financial companies following their risk management rules in 2003-7 was sufficient to protect the integrity of our financial system.

It is dangerous to underestimated the magnitude of risks we haven't encountered before,

This is perfect.
    01-30-18 08:35 PM
    Take a look at all the warnings on your car the next time you get in it....
    I don't read those either since places to go and people to meet. Heck, I don't read the speed limit signs either. We're diverging into, "life is full of risks" and the robots will take over when AI gets better.
    01-30-18 08:38 PM

Yes, I am narrowly looking at Google's privacy Policy with respect to sharing of information with 3rd parties.

This is turning into a meta-analysis of the electronic age and privacy. That's a bit beyond scope for me (at 10pm). Lol.
    01-30-18 08:53 PM
    Yes, I am narrowly looking at Google's privacy Policy with respect to sharing of information with 3rd parties.

This is turning into a meta-analysis of the electronic age and privacy. That's a bit beyond scope for me (at 10pm). Lol.
    Well, like I said previously, I think Google complies with its policies. But I don't think it's policies protect privacy very well.

01-30-18 10:42 PM
    I don't read those either since places to go and people to meet. Heck, I don't read the speed limit signs either. We're diverging into, "life is full of risks" and the robots will take over when AI gets better.
    Sure. But they're there for a reason. Because cars are ubiquitous and consumers have a Right to be informed.

Robots will not be driving me anywhere. Thank you.
    01-31-18 12:54 AM
    Well, like I said previously, I think Google complies with its policies. But I don't think it's policies protect privacy very well.

Agreed.
    01-31-18 12:55 AM
    Sure. But they're there for a reason. Because cars are ubiquitous and consumers have a Right to be informed.

Robots will not be driving me anywhere. Thank you.
    Will you let BlackBerry drive you?
    01-31-18 06:12 AM
    Will you let BlackBerry drive you?
    Absolutely not.
    01-31-18 09:52 PM
    Absolutely not.
    Will you let anyone drive your car?
    01-31-18 09:54 PM
    Will you let anyone drive your car?
    Haha, that depends which car....and who is driving.
    01-31-18 10:55 PM
    Haha, that depends which car....and who is driving.
    What are the choices?
    02-01-18 06:31 AM
    What are the choices?
    Well, what car is BlackBerry using to drive autonomously?
    02-01-18 10:25 AM
    Bumper cars?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-18 11:45 AM
    Well, what car is BlackBerry using to drive autonomously?
    I want to drive JSmith422 around....
    02-01-18 11:49 AM
    More accurately:

"Personal information is being collected and used so we can improve & tailor our services to you, and provide you with targeted advertising. NONE of this personal information is provided to ANY third party.

You can also opt out of a good deal of data collection."

Who would return their phone to the store after reading that?
    So what if Google doesn't give it to third parties? Google is like 1,000 companies in one. And as much as we bow down to mighty Google, it is made up of mortal humans capable of bad things just like people in Little Corp.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-18 04:34 AM
    So what if Google doesn't give it to third parties? Google is like 1,000 companies in one. And as much as we bow down to mighty Google, it is made up of mortal humans capable of bad things just like people in Little Corp.

Posted via CB10
    Every company you share information with everyday is just as risky. Unless you don't use the Internet, only pay with cash, drive a 25 year old vehicle or use public transportation exclusively and wear sunglasses with a hat everywhere in public, you're rearranging deck chairs on your perceived Titanic.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-02-18 05:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Very few people within Google have server access, and those people are vetted.

Mistakes can happen, I suppose. I could get hit by a truck when driving and be dead too. What's worse?

"We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.

We restrict access to personal information to Google employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations."
    Last edited by conite; 02-02-18 at 09:00 AM.
    02-02-18 07:27 AM
    Very few people within Google have server access, and those people are vetted.

Mistakes can happen, I suppose. I could get hit by a truck when driving and be dead too. What's worse?
    All human systems have this issue. It's mitigated through good processes and controls. This is why it's possible to drive the frequency of events for known vulnerabilities down to almost zero. The challenge is in environments with unknown vulnerabilities, poor processes and/or poor controls.

02-02-18 08:54 AM
    Btw: rooting a BB10 device - as a Q10 - is afaik - impossible...

The only thing, i was wondering about:

Last, i installed an app from Playstore.
    Something with sounds etc. Röhrich / Werner or something like that.
    I tried to download / save some of these mp3.
    What i saw, was very impressive....
    This app was going down into the device veeeeeeeeeery deep...
    Remarcable, that you can't have access to those folders/files - but this app could....
    I wish, i had the source of this app...
    Could be an exiting lesson, for experimetal use....
    02-02-18 11:07 AM
386 ... 1213141516