I still use leap from a classic and love bb10 will keep going till the end not a fan of apple or Android at all got apps I like and I am happy with that but people who like social media will probably have to leave bb10 sad

Posted via CB10
    anon(9697770) likes this.
    01-09-18 04:35 AM
    If hardware and internet is working, why not, or? I also don't need a lot of apps, so I hope to use OF10 next 5-10 Years because I can't find an alternative.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-18 05:00 AM
    I'm rocking my DTEK60 in front right pocket and my Z10 in the rear right pocket. Works beautifully
    01-13-18 03:59 PM
    I use the HDMI on my Z30 with an HDTV for my adult English classes to show pictures of the book, images, YouTube videos etc. Also I use it to display DNote memos and PowerPoint presentations.

Posted via CB10
    sleeper7 likes this.
    01-16-18 08:01 PM
    My Passport SE and my Z30 are running just fine. I love BB10!
    01-17-18 03:26 PM
    I don't know if anyone has seen the Jan2018 issue of Consumer Reports, but I was rather shocked to see the cell phone review they did. Out of 51 phones, they had the top 35 on their "recommended" list.

I wasn't too surprised that none of the "droidberries" were there at all, but very surprised to see #33 was the BlackBerry Passport!

I was rather shocked to see the Passport rated at all, much less score in the top 35 when it's the lone BlackBerry. So maybe I need to rethink the idea of making my next device a Classic...

If an organization that in past years has never been fond of ANY BlackBerry thinks that the Passport stacks up that well then it's worth thinking about it a bit more! The only reason why I'm replacing my Q10 is that I'm tired of the frequent issues with the text app locking up or even worse, when it garbles the texts by mixing the new stuff I want to send with previous texts. Otherwise the only issue that's annoying is how the Gas Buddy app no longer shows the correct time of the reports. So every price report says it's from Monday @ 12pm except for when I report a price it says "a moment ago" for less than a minute. Beyond that I still find it the best device I've ever had for business and personal use for people who are interested in keeping themselves on time, organized & able to quickly access any details of interest. It keeps my calendar & contacts in a clear, concise fashion while NEVER exposing me to HIPAA violations like every android or Apple device does.

I really don't give a s--t that SO many people are more than willing to share the stored personal info of their contacts (often including birthday, address, unlisted numbers, clothing sizes or info about children) with every slimy app that wants it for no good reason. Even with the best privacy settings in Marshmallow it is rather useless, since 98% of apps are written so if you don't give it every permission it wants it refuses to run. And of course even if you DO block every app from reading it, google itself has total access. I've said it before but I'll say it again. This particular point is the most ignored, but it's IMHO an issue that needs to be addressed: Not ONE of the people in my contacts has given me permission to share THEIR personal information with anyone! So no matter what a person thinks about sharing their OWN data (that's their choice) but when some random person shares it its a violation of the privacy of the 1st party who is never asked if they're willing or not!

A few years ago Spotify rewrote their permission to state that "use of this app is taken as proof that the user has obtained the permission of any person in their contacts list". Of course the outcry was vocal for a few days, but pundits pointed out that all Spotify did was to state it in simpler terms & the TOS of most apps boiled down to the same thing.

Then people went right back to ignoring everything & blindly clicking yes to everything. I know that some people don't care, but that isn't the issue. By allowing this to be the default, every user infringes on the right to decide whether to share or not for every single person in their contacts. I have taken to avoiding giving people my phone number, just an email address on yahoo that doesn't have a single correct detail about me. I asked the few friends & relatives I call regularly to store my number with a nickname instead of the real one. As a reminder, this isn't tinfoil hat stuff, but because I despise the multitudes that want to make a profit selling information about me without my getting anything in return. In the animal kingdom they're known as parasites.

Oh well, I'm Not going to convince anyone who doesn't value their own privacy, and the others already are aware.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    IggyBlue likes this.
    01-22-18 12:06 AM
    I don't know if anyone has seen the Jan2018 issue of Consumer Reports, but I was rather shocked to see the cell phone review they did. Out of 51 phones, they had the top 35 on their "recommended" list.

I wasn't too surprised that none of the "droidberries" were there at all, but very surprised to see #33 was the BlackBerry Passport!

I was rather shocked to see the Passport rated at all, much less score in the top 35 when it's the lone BlackBerry. So maybe I need to rethink the idea of making my next device a Classic...

If an organization that in past years has never been fond of ANY BlackBerry thinks that the Passport stacks up that well then it's worth thinking about it a bit more! The only reason why I'm replacing my Q10 is that I'm tired of the frequent issues with the text app locking up or even worse, when it garbles the texts by mixing the new stuff I want to send with previous texts. Otherwise the only issue that's annoying is how the Gas Buddy app no longer shows the correct time of the reports. So every price report says it's from Monday @ 12pm except for when I report a price it says "a moment ago" for less than a minute. Beyond that I still find it the best device I've ever had for business and personal use for people who are interested in keeping themselves on time, organized & able to quickly access any details of interest. It keeps my calendar & contacts in a clear, concise fashion while NEVER exposing me to HIPAA violations like every android or Apple device does.

I really don't give a s--t that SO many people are more than willing to share the stored personal info of their contacts (often including birthday, address, unlisted numbers, clothing sizes or info about children) with every slimy app that wants it for no good reason. Even with the best privacy settings in Marshmallow it is rather useless, since 98% of apps are written so if you don't give it every permission it wants it refuses to run. And of course even if you DO block every app from reading it, google itself has total access. I've said it before but I'll say it again. This particular point is the most ignored, but it's IMHO an issue that needs to be addressed: Not ONE of the people in my contacts has given me permission to share THEIR personal information with anyone! So no matter what a person thinks about sharing their OWN data (that's their choice) but when some random person shares it its a violation of the privacy of the 1st party who is never asked if they're willing or not!

A few years ago Spotify rewrote their permission to state that "use of this app is taken as proof that the user has obtained the permission of any person in their contacts list". Of course the outcry was vocal for a few days, but pundits pointed out that all Spotify did was to state it in simpler terms & the TOS of most apps boiled down to the same thing.

Then people went right back to ignoring everything & blindly clicking yes to everything. I know that some people don't care, but that isn't the issue. By allowing this to be the default, every user infringes on the right to decide whether to share or not for every single person in their contacts. I have taken to avoiding giving people my phone number, just an email address on yahoo that doesn't have a single correct detail about me. I asked the few friends & relatives I call regularly to store my number with a nickname instead of the real one. As a reminder, this isn't tinfoil hat stuff, but because I despise the multitudes that want to make a profit selling information about me without my getting anything in return. In the animal kingdom they're known as parasites.

Oh well, I'm Not going to convince anyone who doesn't value their own privacy, and the others already are aware.

All great points. So what will you do once bb10 finally shuts down? We're searching for ideas..
    IggyBlue likes this.
    01-22-18 03:04 AM
    All great points. So what will you do once bb10 finally shuts down? We're searching for ideas..
    BB10 itself won't shut down like BBOS will once the BIS servers are shut down by the carriers and BB at end of 2019 per the EOL announcement.

It will be like Windows XP. It's already how Windows XP operated in the last couple of years of "supported life". There is every so often, tweeks rolling out to certain devices per carrier requests or not some Enterprise customer pays the for something. The browser will depricate, however should function awhile longer.

Device will still handle email, calls and texts unless protocols change to new technologies or settings that are incompatible.
    01-22-18 04:21 AM
    BB10 itself won't shut down like BBOS will once the BIS servers are shut down by the carriers and BB at end of 2019 per the EOL announcement.

It will be like Windows XP. It's already how Windows XP operated in the last couple of years of "supported life". There is every so often, tweeks rolling out to certain devices per carrier requests or not some Enterprise customer pays the for something. The browser will depricate, however should function awhile longer.

Device will still handle email, calls and texts unless protocols change to new technologies or settings that are incompatible.
    Poor choice of words...."becomes useless."
    01-22-18 04:47 AM
    Poor choice of words...."becomes useless."
    Gotcha.
    I wasn't sure how literal. Better safe than sorry.
    01-22-18 06:09 AM

Passport still has good hardware, was looking around for a tablet for editing text but nothing in a used passport pricerange could really compete.

And on the topic of privacy and security, data collection and so on... It makes the world better, its how we learn and progress. You should not have a lingering cloud of fear of your personal life or details being exposed. Most people are pretty similar no matter what they think they know.

A smart tactic would be to use these breaches and insecurities to improve how you adapt to modern living. Nothing wrong with a fake identity, infact I think that is best security you can get in the public eye. It can be so simple and so harmless. These things are available to us, you cant play the sheep or overexaggerate risks or dangers.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 01-22-18 at 12:57 PM.
    01-22-18 10:15 AM

Speak it! This is also a sign of a corrupt government that used to protect consumers. Maybe the EU will eventually do something.

This could have been a good marketing angle. I know some people here don't care but millions do.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 12:16 PM
    Speak it! This is also a sign of a corrupt government that used to protect consumers. Maybe the EU will eventually do something.

This could have been a good marketing angle. I know some people here don't care but millions do.

Posted via CB10
    To point one, I'm curious as to which is the corrupt government? Android has been around commercially for 10 years? BB has been around for 20 years? Nobody forces anyone to use these products. If you want to opt-in, that's your choice technology-wise.

To point two, Nobody cared 10 years ago with Android/IOS. Nobody cared 5 years ago with BB10. I get it when people complain about privacy rights. I'm American. Many of us don't like being told what to do about many things. We fight the nanny-state government constantly. Private corporations are just that in our minds, private, not public government entities, collectively.

Battle waged over paying with data or cash. Paying with data won by a landslide. The reality is not as many people as you think will pay with cash. A developer on here allocated $10,000 building some BB10 replication app for use with Android. If they're lucky, they've broken $500 in sales with $1,000 on the horizon.

The millions that you think are there, become thousands or hundreds if you're lucky, when it comes to people entering their payment info to purchase and pressing submit. The vocal minority is just that and even less when club dues are billed to prospective members.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 12:35 PM
    I still use leap from a classic and love bb10 will keep going till the end not a fan of apple or Android at all got apps I like and I am happy with that but people who like social media will probably have to leave bb10 sad

Posted via CB10
    It's not just social media.
    I moved from a Classic to a PRIV because my workplace uses Google Apps and despite Cobalt's fine work I just wasn't able to get the connectivity working with our dual-factor authentication setup.
    Email worked well up until the day I turned the power off, but there were other apps that just weren't working.

So, I moved to a PRIV.

So, please don't just blindly assume that it's all due to the social media scene.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 01:26 PM
    It's not just social media.
    I moved from a Classic to a PRIV because my workplace uses Google Apps and despite Cobalt's fine work I just wasn't able to get the connectivity working with our dual-factor authentication setup.
    Email worked well up until the day I turned the power off, but there were other apps that just weren't working.

So, I moved to a PRIV.

So, please don't just blindly assume that it's all due to the social media scene.
    There are also plenty of other apps that just didn't cut it with the runtime as well that aren't social media. Like you, I am hoping people will see beyond this false narrative.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 01:53 PM
    Posted via CB10
    I live in the EU. Just to be precise, what exactly do you want the EU to do about this?
    Or more precisely, how is that expected to benefit your beloved OS, BB10?

Two broad allegations used to be made in these forums about Google, which -according to these posters- would warrant Commission action: alleged anticompetitive behavior, and serious concerns about data privacy -which according to the above reasoning, would violate European legislation-

1. Just assume that the Commission fines Google for anticompetitive behavior and forces it to do X. Even if this happens, "X"' will be a measure like those that was handed out to Microsoft - I mean the browser case or the Media Player case
    For example, when activating an Android phone, on European devices a popup will appear saying that "Did you know that you can use a different search engine/browser/etc/etc"
    How would this benefit BB10?

2. Lets move to the second issue, data privacy. Even if some change were forced on Google to alter its privacy policies, neither the Commission nor the member states are going to ban Android, however much anyone in the BB10 world will want them to.
    Do not forget, in most European ctries, Android has a higher market share than in the States or Canada.
    So, how would this benefit BB10? Even if every single country of whole EU just outlawed Android with a stroke of pen (which would violate the Constitution in many countries, not to mention a host of international agreements), it wouldn"t improve the situation of BB10 by one iota - as it is a dead OS made by a company which de facto EOLd it already.

So TLDR - no, the EU or the European Commission is not going to save BB10
    elfabio80 and Mecca EL like this.
    01-22-18 02:07 PM
    Well, I for one don't EVER knowingly pay with data! I don't care what people think, as far as I'm concerned it's got to be a two-way street. If I don't benefit then I'm being ripped off! The older paradigm where the user "pays" by watching or seeing ads that aren't focused on their personal info, just products and services being sold is fine with me. I either put up with the ads or I quit using the service / delete the app. Since I knew going in that was the bargain I'm willing to do it. But I don't have a single app that is allowed to access my calendar or contacts, period. I only sync with my own PC via USB cable. I don't have any cloud service or storage. I see articles all the time that hype the "convenience" of using cloud based backup, storage etc.

But even the few pay services have TOS that lets them scan anything you put there & the free sites just prove Robert Heinlein was prescient when he made the motto of the Loonies TANSTAAFL!

So I still plan to buy either the Passport or a Classic soon. I'll use it for as long as I possibly can. AFAIK the people saying that the basic functions shouldn't be removable by the carriers for quite a while. As example it was just last year that they finally shut down the legacy 2.5G EDGE network systems from the early days of wireless Internet. So it lasted well over a decade before backwards compatibility with it was deemed unnecessary.

Unless a radical change gets made, even if 3G is shut down, since we still have 4G, LTE & HSPA+ working I feel relatively safe saying that the ability to make & receive calls should be OK. What I wonder more about is whether or not the apps I have that are native will continue to work properly?

I already have seen the Gas Buddy app partially become broken but I think that's either because it's an android port or because they choose to make changes to their system (about 18 months ago they made radical changes that didn't play nicely with BB10). My concern is what can be used as a work around if you have to delete & reinstall an app once we don't have BlackBerry World? Now it's simple, just delete it, reboot & DL again. I suppose one thing to do (tedious but might be worth it) would be to delete apps & reinstall one by one so at least they'll be in the best shape possible...

rayporsche likes this.
    01-22-18 04:51 PM
    And it is precisely for the reason you state why I stay away from apps that want access to my contact list and other data in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 10:13 PM
    And it is precisely for the reason you state why I stay away from apps that want access to my contact list and other data in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Well, that's the big issue! From what I've been able to tell, the granular ability to control permissions that arrived in 6.1 Marshmallow are only partially useful since they don't allow users to keep ANY data away from the hands of google, and the majority of apps are written with all or nothing permission. So if you deny an app a single area that it wants then the app closes & refuses to ever open unless you give it anything it wants!

So I'm trying to find out more about whether a method exists to block the ability of google to access contacts, calendar and text messages at the minimum.

The other option I'm trying to learn more about is a different version (or mod) of Android that looked like it had the ability to deny access to areas yet somehow still let you run the apps. It's called Cyanogen. I just saw it mentioned last night but hadn't had time to follow up on it.

IF someone using this "mod" does have ability to control permissions like the BB10 system can it brings up another failing that BlackBerry left for the users, meaning the loss of anything like the Link software that would allow users to sync directly to their OWN computers! I saw a setting that allows you to connect android phones and move pictures & music back & forth. But at the time I didn't know enough about the OS to know where to find the correct files for SMS, contacts or calendar. Anyone know?

01-28-18 10:17 PM
    Well, that's the big issue! From what I've been able to tell, the granular ability to control permissions that arrived in 6.1 Marshmallow are only partially useful since they don't allow users to keep ANY data away from the hands of google, and the majority of apps are written with all or nothing permission. So if you deny an app a single area that it wants then the app closes & refuses to ever open unless you give it anything it wants!

So I'm trying to find out more about whether a method exists to block the ability of google to access contacts, calendar and text messages at the minimum.

The other option I'm trying to learn more about is a different version (or mod) of Android that looked like it had the ability to deny access to areas yet somehow still let you run the apps. It's called Cyanogen. I just saw it mentioned last night but hadn't had time to follow up on it.

IF someone using this "mod" does have ability to control permissions like the BB10 system can it brings up another failing that BlackBerry left for the users, meaning the loss of anything like the Link software that would allow users to sync directly to their OWN computers! I saw a setting that allows you to connect android phones and move pictures & music back & forth. But at the time I didn't know enough about the OS to know where to find the correct files for SMS, contacts or calendar. Anyone know?

As far is I recall, Cyanogen Mod is now defunct and has been replaced by Lineage OS. Another one you might want to check out is Copperhead OS. Both are Android forks.
    01-29-18 03:55 AM
    To point one, I'm curious as to which is the corrupt government? Android has been around commercially for 10 years? BB has been around for 20 years? Nobody forces anyone to use these products. If you want to opt-in, that's your choice technology-wise.

To point two, Nobody cared 10 years ago with Android/IOS. Nobody cared 5 years ago with BB10. I get it when people complain about privacy rights. I'm American. Many of us don't like being told what to do about many things. We fight the nanny-state government constantly. Private corporations are just that in our minds, private, not public government entities, collectively.

Battle waged over paying with data or cash. Paying with data won by a landslide. The reality is not as many people as you think will pay with cash. A developer on here allocated $10,000 building some BB10 replication app for use with Android. If they're lucky, they've broken $500 in sales with $1,000 on the horizon.

The millions that you think are there, become thousands or hundreds if you're lucky, when it comes to people entering their payment info to purchase and pressing submit. The vocal minority is just that and even less when club dues are billed to prospective members.
    Well, you know better than I do about things so I guess you must be right. Thanks for correcting me again.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 10:56 AM
    As far is I recall, Cyanogen Mod is now defunct and has been replaced by Lineage OS. Another one you might want to check out is Copperhead OS. Both are Android forks.
    So does anyone know whether either of these would work for getting back the granular control of permissions? Since I have never wanted to trade data for ANYTHING I still want to learn more about the options for after my BB10 devices aren't viable for my needs. I'm not eager to switch back to the flip phone I had in the 1990's but I'll never be willing to share a single byte with google!

Thoughts?

01-29-18 12:50 PM

And on the topic of privacy and security, data collection and so on... It makes the world better, its how we learn and progress. You should not have a lingering cloud of fear of your personal life or details being exposed. Most people are pretty similar no matter what they think they know.

A smart tactic would be to use these breaches and insecurities to improve how you adapt to modern living. Nothing wrong with a fake identity, infact I think that is best security you can get in the public eye. It can be so simple and so harmless. These things are available to us, you cant play the sheep or overexaggerate risks or dangers.
    Posted via CB10
    I think it all depends on your point of view! I really don't care whether I'm similar to others or not!

I do personally know three people who had their identity stolen, which caused headaches for them that lasted over a decade. I don't fear danger, not to life. But I actually value my privacy & deeply resent the way google & others think that they have a "right" to vacuum up every possible scrap of info about my life in order to make a profit selling it without giving me ANY value in return! (before you ask-no, I have zero social media & never search with google)

Of course, the more data is collected, the more they want. If BlackBerry had been able to remain even a niche player in the market I wouldn't be bothering to find out anything else regarding android. The flow is kludgey at best compared to BB10, it's harder to shut down apps without them restarting.

So I still wouldn't get far using the fake identity idea since I would have to be giving google a phone number that has a real name & other info otherwise the cell won't work. And unless I find some way to prevent it, the basic TOS just to turn ON an android phone gives them ability to read, modify or delete anything on the device. I can't do my work with patients without being able to call or text them or set reminders in my calendar to do things for them.

Every one of those would be a HIPAA violation just to turn the device on, without even using it! Plus, I put MY appointments to see various Doctors as well. I really don't give a rat's fuzzy butt whether others care or not, as far as I'm concerned none of that is anyone's business besides mine!

So I'll keep looking for other options while using my REAL BlackBerry.

01-29-18 01:13 PM
    I'm not without frustration, and I've seen some damage. Your right it is a point of view, but the fact that you can choose to, or not to is enough to know where and when its worth something.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 01:32 PM
    I think it all depends on your point of view! I really don't care whether I'm similar to others or not!

I do personally know three people who had their identity stolen, which caused headaches for them that lasted over a decade. I don't fear danger, not to life. But I actually value my privacy & deeply resent the way google & others think that they have a "right" to vacuum up every possible scrap of info about my life in order to make a profit selling it without giving me ANY value in return! (before you ask-no, I have zero social media & never search with google)

Of course, the more data is collected, the more they want. If BlackBerry had been able to remain even a niche player in the market I wouldn't be bothering to find out anything else regarding android. The flow is kludgey at best compared to BB10, it's harder to shut down apps without them restarting.

So I still wouldn't get far using the fake identity idea since I would have to be giving google a phone number that has a real name & other info otherwise the cell won't work. And unless I find some way to prevent it, the basic TOS just to turn ON an android phone gives them ability to read, modify or delete anything on the device. I can't do my work with patients without being able to call or text them or set reminders in my calendar to do things for them.

Every one of those would be a HIPAA violation just to turn the device on, without even using it! Plus, I put MY appointments to see various Doctors as well. I really don't give a rat's fuzzy butt whether others care or not, as far as I'm concerned none of that is anyone's business besides mine!

So I'll keep looking for other options while using my REAL BlackBerry.

You're running into the problem that my industry has run into. It passed all kinds of privacy laws then didn't force our technical providers to provide the same protections. My solution is that HIPAA along with other FINRA/SEC allows me to keep public data as contact info. Name, phone number and e-mail address. Our email is archived by advisory, securities and insurance regulations or laws.

I used BB for years because I could view emails and delete from the phone device only. I used BB since it was secure from compliance perspective. BBAndroid still meets these standards and now Android/IOS has caught up through hub or email providers that I pay for like Office365.

The reality is I don't use my KEYone any better than I did 15 years ago because of security concerns. From HIPPA standpoint, I never trusted BB10 any better than others, regardless of where data goes. I can only use approved cloud vendor so BB10 might also violate standard.

Point is, we run our businesses off the grid. Filing cabinets are is the norm.

I understand your desire to not share your data. Unfortunately, it appears that you're losing options, not just with Apple/IOS, but it seems providers are requesting the permissions as well in their apps. I'm beginning to wonder if they're mining data off my computer too nowadays.

I didn't realize how prevalent. I mentioned once about helping out Mom and she uses no technology. I'm realizing how deep, all corporations are data aggregating now and not just via mobile device..
    01-29-18 03:03 PM
386 ... 910111213 ...