But the BB10 writing experience is very different from the Android Experience, whether on a Priv, Motion, or Pixel phone. It's not really about typing. It's about the entire written communications workflow, from managing multiple accounts and notifications to reading, drafting documents, managing files and attachments, contacts, revisions, reviews, etc.

Is there really an argument to be made that any mobile OS has put more focus on writing than BBOS and BB10? That seems like a incontrovertible truth to me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    In the beginning of move to BBAndroid, with PRIV, I would have agreed with you.

Before the PRIV, I chose Z30 and Passport over my dual carry Android Flagship OEMs for everything but apps or talking.

When BBAndroid first came out, the PRIV replaced my Z30 and Passport. I had to put them in storage. I learned from 9900 to Q10 switch that I wouldn't force myself to learn and be productive with new OS unless I had too.

I know you have KEYone. I think Z10 is keeping you from being more productive on KEYone than you're on Z10 now.

When I first got my Q10, it looked more like Android than BBOS to me. I've never thought anything has better flow as much as different flow. Sooner or later you'll force yourself to move to KEYone and I think you'll wish you'd done it sooner.
    12-20-17 02:44 PM
    I know you have KEYone. I think Z10 is keeping you from being more productive on KEYone than you're on Z10 now.
    My main problem with the KEYone is the compose window in the Hub, where I spend 80% of my time. There are just too many toggles and virtual buttons for formatting text and other distractions. At best they waste space and are a distraction, and at worst it's too easy to accidentally press one when selecting a word or punctuation. When I'm drafting, I don't want to see anything but the keyboard, the text and other context sensitive items of potential value.

If I need bold, bullets, fonts, or other text jewelry I can do that on my PC. They just get in the way for me on Android.

12-20-17 02:51 PM
    My main problem with the KEYone is the compose window in the Hub, where I spend 80% of my time. There are just too many toggles and virtual buttons for formatting text and other distractions. At best they waste space and are a distraction, and at worst it's too easy to accidentally press one when selecting a word or punctuation. When I'm drafting, I don't want to see anything but the keyboard, the text and other context sensitive items of potential value.

If I need bold, bullets, fonts, or other text jewelry I can do that on my PC. They just get in the way for me on Android.

I find many of the on screen buttons are a bit small. I often hit the wrong thing or accidentally activate something I didn't want. This also includes the three fixed android buttons.
    12-20-17 03:07 PM

But some of that mis-typing may be caused by jumping back and forth with your Z10.

You're not properly programming your muscle memory.
    12-20-17 03:08 PM
    I'm going to disagree, although for a different reason.

Caveat: I'm a hard-core PKB person, using a PRIV. So, my VKB skills are really basic and slow.

I do find, when using a VKB, that SIZE is incredibly important - my wife had an iPhone 5 (skinny little screen): in portrait mode the keys were so close together that typing was horrifying - landscape mode they were just too far apart to use well.
    When her contract came up and we were looking for a new, wider screen phone, we were looking at either an Android or spending HUNDREDS of dollars more to get a wider-screened Apple product.

So, the wife now rocks a PRIV. It was hard for her to transition to Android from IOS and she still prefers Apple, but we can both now use the VKB decently.
    +1 on the size of the vkb, it makes a huge difference in experience.
    12-20-17 03:13 PM
    But some of that mis-typing may be caused by jumping back and forth with your Z10.

That's what I was going for in my earlier post. I was constantly hitting and swiping wrong things. It took me at least a month to adjust to Android.
    12-20-17 03:21 PM
    When the Alien Overlords dig up what's left of our civilization and read forums like this, they'll torch what's left of our servers and move on to a happy planet ruled by phone-free primates.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-20-17 04:01 PM

I do hear what you're saying. But the issue isn't muscle memory. The Android interface is simply too cluttered for my taste when I'm writing. Even if I never hit the wrong button, I simply don't want to see that formatting bar, or the embedded reply/forward buttons, or any of the other stuff that isn't pure text in the active window. So long as I have a choice I see no reason to try to accommodate a design that I find misguided.

Don't get me wrong. I really like having the KEYone. It sits in my bag, never runs out of juice, and let's me use an app any time I need to. Just yesterday, for example, I used the Dunkin Donuts app to combine the balances from two gift cards, which is a task I could not perform in the Web on my PC or on my Z10!

But, while the KEYone is just about everything I could ever ask for in an Android phone, that's like saying George Clooney is everything I'd ever want in a man. He may be, but, alas, I'm a straight man.

I really appreciate all the tips and advice I receive from people who've made the switch to Android successfully. I actually feel very good about my KEYone. But just as I don't expect my retriever to climb trees, I don't expect I'll ever enjoy composing emails on the current version of the BlackBerry Hub on Android.

Could I find a better email editor? Quite possibly, but there's really no reason to at this point in time. First, it would probably not play well with the Hub and KEYone keyboard, which I want and need. Second, I'd be trying to solve a problem which doesn't exist.

I've double carried phones for 20 out of the last 24 years. I was just spoiled between 2013 and 2017. It's really never a big deal. If I'm working, I carry two phones, but one is always in my bag, and if I'm not working, I generally leave my phones turned off, preferably at home.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-20-17 at 04:42 PM.
    12-20-17 04:21 PM
    I do hear what you're saying. But the issue isn't muscle memory. The Android interface is simply too cluttered for my taste when I'm writing. Even if I never hit the wrong button, I simply don't want to see that formatting bar, or the embedded reply/forward buttons, or any of the other stuff that isn't pure text in the active window. So long as I have a choice I see no reason to try to accommodate a design that I find misguided.

Don't get me wrong. I really like having the KEYone. It sits in my bag, never runs out of juice, and let's me use an app any time I need to. Just yesterday, for example, I used the Dunkin Donuts app to combine the balances from two gift cards, which is a task I could not perform in the Web on my PC or on my Z10!

But, while the KEYone is just about everything I could ever ask for in an Android phone, that's like saying George Clooney is everything I'd ever want in a man. He may be, but, alas, I'm straight.

I really appreciate all the tips and advice I receive from people who've made the switch to Android successfully. I actually feel very good about my KEYone. But just as I don't expect my retriever to climb trees, I don't expect I'll ever enjoy composing emails on the current version of the BlackBerry Hub on Android.

Could I find a better email editor? Quite possibly, but there's really no reason to at this point in time. First, it would probably not play well with the Hub and KEYone keyboard, which I want and need. Second, I'd be trying to solve a problem which doesn't exist.

I've double carried phones for 20 out of the last 24 years. I was just spoiled between 2013 and 2017. It's really never a big deal. If I'm working, I carry two phones, but one is always in my bag, and if I'm not working, I generally leave my phones turned off, preferably at home.

I spit out an overpriced Starbucks hot chocolate with your George Clooney statement.
    glwerry likes this.
    12-20-17 04:40 PM
    I spit out an overpriced Starbucks hot chocolate with your George Clooney statement.
    Yup! That be funny!
    12-20-17 04:56 PM
    I'd like to add that the KEYone is the best thing that ever happened to my Z10. I removed every single Android app that I'd installed from the Amazon store, APK file or Cobalt's Google work arounds, and any BlackBerry World app for which I could find a replacement on my KEYone. The result is a near stock Z10 and the best darned portable phone I've used in years.

My KEYone is now the "crap magnet" for all kinds of stuff I do infrequently on apps, and my Z10 is basically a BBOS phone on steroids. I get much better battery life, enjoy the audio (which I find to be better than on the KEYone) and avoid most of the distractions that come from needless notifications from apps.

I should have done this years ago!

12-20-17 05:11 PM
    I didn't get that implication from his post at all....but I do think a lot of BB10 users feel that here on CB they're maliciously attacked for their choice of OS.

I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony......[/QUOTE]

But do you want to buy the world a Coke? ;-)
    Yup, definitely dated myself with that one...

I'm not so much a hardcore BlackBerry fan as I'm actually interested in protecting what little privacy I can. I never denigrate nor talk down to users who consciously decide to use an OS designed specifically for harvesting data 1st & utility 2nd. I simply won't make the same choice. I too have gotten rather tired of being constantly told my choice to use the system that best meets my needs makes me (fill in the blank, old, resistant to change, dinosaur etc) just because I have neither the time or the interest in just consuming media, posting cat pictures or emojii or playing angry birds. My BlackBerry is the most useful tool that I have to help me keep organized, manage meetings & appointments and stay in touch with family and real-life friends.

If I want to keep in touch with someone, if I can't meet them IRL then I'll just call & have a genuine conversation! I text for short questions, but since you don't get tone or facial expressions over text I've noticed that VERY often you see things devolve into arguments or hurt feelings because someone takes what the sender thinks is a simple, unambiguous comment as a criticism or even an attack (as in this thread)

All boils down to personal choice. As long as I don't harass others over someone's choice I simply hope to get the same polite response from people. Yes, I know it's a simplistic idea! But who knows, maybe it'll catch on...

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    Qorax likes this.
    12-20-17 06:43 PM
    I didn't get that implication from his post at all....but I do think a lot of BB10 users feel that here on CB they're maliciously attacked for their choice of OS.

I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony......
    But do you want to buy the world a Coke? ;-)
    Yup, definitely dated myself with that one...

I'm not so much a hardcore BlackBerry fan as I'm actually interested in protecting what little privacy I can. I never denigrate nor talk down to users who consciously decide to use an OS designed specifically for harvesting data 1st & utility 2nd. I simply won't make the same choice. I too have gotten rather tired of being constantly told my choice to use the system that best meets my needs makes me (fill in the blank, old, resistant to change, dinosaur etc) just because I have neither the time or the interest in just consuming media, posting cat pictures or emojii or playing angry birds. My BlackBerry is the most useful tool that I have to help me keep organized, manage meetings & appointments and stay in touch with family and real-life friends.

If I want to keep in touch with someone, if I can't meet them IRL then I'll just call & have a genuine conversation! I text for short questions, but since you don't get tone or facial expressions over text I've noticed that VERY often you see things devolve into arguments or hurt feelings because someone takes what the sender thinks is a simple, unambiguous comment as a criticism or even an attack (as in this thread)

All boils down to personal choice. As long as I don't harass others over someone's choice I simply hope to get the same polite response from people. Yes, I know it's a simplistic idea! But who knows, maybe it'll catch on...

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10[/QUOTE]

+100
    12-21-17 01:21 AM
    I don't think people all respond with same "politeness" because it's not their personality.

I'm very sarcastic and can be very abrasive but I'll help and defend anyone here regarding their rights to share their opinions when another member attacks opinions freely shared ie bullying.

That being said, when members include misinformation or erroneous facts to support their opinion, I'm going to have some fun setting the record straight.....

in the beginning, I'll go easier. But if the person just goes to another thread and does it all over again, I figure the person knows what they're doing and can handle more direct criticism.

We come here to discuss and debate our differing viewpoints. If anyone feels wronged, hit the report button. I've racked up violation points like you wouldn't believe. I've figured out where the lines are drawn and stay right inside them.

Sometimes I even apologize..... but this isn't one.

Have fun all... Ref blows whistle, start clock again....
    12-21-17 07:44 AM
    I don't think people all respond with same "politeness" because it's not their personality.

I'm very sarcastic and can be very abrasive but I'll help and defend anyone here regarding their rights to share their opinions when another member attacks opinions freely shared ie bullying.

That being said, when members include misinformation or erroneous facts to support their opinion, I'm going to have some fun setting the record straight.....

in the beginning, I'll go easier. But if the person just goes to another thread and does it all over again, I figure the person knows what they're doing and can handle more direct criticism.

We come here to discuss and debate our differing viewpoints. If anyone feels wronged, hit the report button. I've racked up violation points like you wouldn't believe. I've figured out where the lines are drawn and stay right inside them.

Sometimes I even apologize..... but this isn't one.

Have fun all... Ref blows whistle, start clock again....
    I found this post interesting, Chuck, as I've gone back and forth a few times with you and find you quite enjoyable.
    Maybe I've been able to stay close to facts and have avoided the abrasive/sarcastic aspect.

Maybe all the dealings with the Canadian Sunbirds has rounded off some of the rough edges...

Side note that just occurred to me: my step-uncle (a Canadian) fought with the Black Devils in WWII - the first Special Operations group, which was 1/2 Canadian and 1/2 American - and won an American Silver Star medal at Anzio. He was also captured by the Germans there.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-21-17 08:33 AM
    I found this post interesting, Chuck, as I've gone back and forth a few times with you and find you quite enjoyable.
    Maybe I've been able to stay close to facts and have avoided the abrasive/sarcastic aspect.

Maybe all the dealings with the Canadian Sunbirds has rounded off some of the rough edges...

Side note that just occurred to me: my step-uncle (a Canadian) fought with the Black Devils in WWII - the first Special Operations group, which was 1/2 Canadian and 1/2 American - and won an American Silver Star medal at Anzio. He was also captured by the Germans there.
    That's awesome. I always find you and your family have done some awesome things. My family contribution will be strange but I hope everyone appreciates :

My father, his father, myself have all been married twice. Our respective spouses usually married at least twice.

We only have moms and dads, brothers and sisters and so forth. No step.. No half.. Once family, always family...

My comments earlier were like all my families I belong to... it's OK to disagree. I come here for the fun and entertainment.

I laugh when people get all bent over inanimate objects like smartphones. Then I worry because if somebody gets that bent, whether they realize or not, they've got bigger issues.

Anyway, I love helping when I can but have to remind myself that I can't always be a total jerk. Sometimes or full-time half jerk. But not total jerk always. LOL...

Wish I had cool war stories for you, but alas, there I lack....
    12-21-17 12:06 PM
    That's awesome. I always find you and your family have done some awesome things. My family contribution will be strange but I hope everyone appreciates :

My father, his father, myself have all been married twice. Our respective spouses usually married at least twice.

We only have moms and dads, brothers and sisters and so forth. No step.. No half.. Once family, always family...

My comments earlier were like all my families I belong to... it's OK to disagree. I come here for the fun and entertainment.

I laugh when people get all bent over inanimate objects like smartphones. Then I worry because if somebody gets that bent, whether they realize or not, they've got bigger issues.

Anyway, I love helping when I can but have to remind myself that I can't always be a total jerk. Sometimes or full-time half jerk. But not total jerk always. LOL...

Wish I had cool war stories for you, but alas, there I lack....
    Neat. Just to elaborate on the "step" thing - my Dad is on his THIRD marriage - he has had two wives die of cancer.

So, Dad remarried when I was 12, and his attitude is very much like yours - I have NEVER heard him use the term "step" anything.
    Myself, I only use the term to help differentiate between the various families, as explanations can be confusing ...

In actual point of fact, I'm closer to my "step" sister than I am to my biological sister.

Another neat point is that when I met my wife she was 4 years older than me and had a daughter. My poor Dad - I was only 18 and, as a Pastor he has seen all sorts of horror stories about this kind of a scenario. Well, the 2nd time that he saw "my" daughter it was, "come to Grandpa".

37 years later I'm still married to the same lady and "my" daughter has given me 4 beautiful grand-children.

Not to worry about the lack of war stories, it's not nearly as glamorous as some think.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-21-17 01:04 PM
    I still prefer to surf the Web on my Passport over my Keyone. Reading on a square screen is so much better than rectangular screens.
    I also use it as a bedside clock and calendar reminder.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    12-24-17 03:04 PM
    I still prefer to surf the Web on my Passport over my Keyone. Reading on a square screen is so much better than rectangular screens.

Posted via CB10
    +1 on the Passport for Web browsing!
    Qorax likes this.
    12-24-17 03:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't you find the web browser slow on the Passport compared to the KEYone?
    12-24-17 03:46 PM
    Don't you find the web browser slow on the Passport compared to the KEYone?
    There is no question that the Passport's download and rendering is slower than the KEYone. In addition, there are newer Web standards and technologies that don't render as well on the older BB10 browser.

However, the Passport's aspect ratio is simply the best for reading text. I prefer the Passport to all other phones for most of the Web browsing I do, which involves reading medium to long articles, published papers, Stack Exchange, Wikipedia, etc.

If your idea of Web browsing involves lots of rich media files on highly designed commercial sites with lots of scripts running, such as online shopping sites, then a newer Android phone like the KEYone will do a much better job.

12-24-17 05:52 PM
    There is no question that the Passport's download and rendering is slower than the KEYone. In addition, there are newer Web standards and technologies that don't render as well on the older BB10 browser.

However, the Passport's aspect ratio is simply the best for reading text. I prefer the Passport to all other phones for most of the Web browsing I do, which involves reading medium to long articles, published papers, Stack Exchange, Wikipedia, etc.

If your idea of Web browsing involves lots of rich media files on highly designed commercial sites with lots of scripts running, such as online shopping sites, then a newer Android phone like the KEYone will do a much better job.

The browser is really the ONLY reason I now have an android phone (Passport is still my daily device for now but the browser is slow for me). I agree with the aspect ratio and reading text and I simply love the reader mode and use it alot. It would be really nice (for me at least) if more web sites offered something similar as the CNN mobile web site where they offer you a "low -bandwidth usage" experience option. I have that web page short cut on my desktop and it is super fast to load. Has NO graphics, ads or any rich media just the facts (alternative or not!) in a text format. At the bottom of the headlines you can click a link for "The full CNN experience". Very handy.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-24-17 06:16 PM
    The browser is really the ONLY reason I now have an android phone (Passport is still my daily device for now but the browser is slow for me). I agree with the aspect ratio and reading text and I simply love the reader mode and use it alot. It would be really nice (for me at least) if more web sites offered something similar as the CNN mobile web site where they offer you a "low -bandwidth usage" experience option. I have that web page short cut on my desktop and it is super fast to load. Has NO graphics, ads or any rich media just the facts (alternative or not!) in a text format. At the bottom of the headlines you can click a link for "The full CNN experience". Very handy.
    Yep. In use my KEYone For online shopping but read almost all my news in reader mode on a BB10 phone.

12-24-17 06:20 PM
    Well, NY Times sadly ending service for their BBerry app. Directed me to their mobile site, which is fine with a home page shortcut. For now. When Science Daily tanks I'll be stuck with their utterly horrible Android version. I see a motion in my future.
    01-01-18 03:33 PM
    As long as I continue to get the same functionality that I am currently getting from my Z30, I see no urgent reason to change anything. In the meantime, I'm still hoping for some company to come forward and offer an alternative to iOS or Android where you do not have to give away your data. I'd even be willing to pay a monthly fee for that privilege.

Posted via CB10
    That should be bb business mantra. It limits reach, but guarantees some profit. Would it be enough?
    01-09-18 03:34 AM
386 ... 89101112 ...