So, you're saying that if you don't use a BB10 phone, you're dumb and uneducated. Condescend much?
    Kind of like when you say people concerned about security and privacy should live off-grid in a cabin in the woods?
    zer0ten likes this.
    12-17-17 11:39 AM
    I will use BB10 until email, phone or texts stop working. I don't want my life on Google's servers any more than it needs to be.

Blend alone makes it worthwhile.

I already use an Android device alongside for a few apps. I'm used to carrying two devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 02:14 PM
    I keep seeing people who carry two or three phones. Is that really common in average users or just something unique to the few of us still using a BlackBerry 10 device?

I still remember how I liked the original Palm Pilot organizers but didn't care for needing to lug it around plus a cell phone. The solution finally arrived in the Palm Treo 650. While primitive by the standards of today it let me have everything in one device! No more dayrunner entries that I couldn't paste into things, I had my address book built in so I could easily place calls, etc. So if I wonder about it now I think it's likely that average other people don't want to carry more than one phone?

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    rayporsche and DrBoomBotz like this.
    12-17-17 03:58 PM
    I keep seeing people who carry two or three phones. Is that really common in average users or just something unique to the few of us still using a BlackBerry 10 device?

I still remember how I liked the original Palm Pilot organizers but didn't care for needing to lug it around plus a cell phone. The solution finally arrived in the Palm Treo 650. While primitive by the standards of today it let me have everything in one device! No more dayrunner entries that I couldn't paste into things, I had my address book built in so I could easily place calls, etc. So if I wonder about it now I think it's likely that average other people don't want to carry more than one phone?

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    I also almost never see people with more than one phone but I know they are out there.
    12-17-17 04:19 PM
    I often see people with two devices...except the other 'device' is not a phone, but a phone sized brick known as a battery. I find it hilarious, they have this super thin new iThing usually (but also Android) but then it's got this ugly mess of cables hanging out of his pocket or other hand just to keep going. Either that or the other thing the carry is a charging cable and wall wart
    nhatanh181 likes this.
    12-17-17 05:29 PM
    So, you're saying that if you don't use a BB10 phone, you're dumb and uneducated. Condescend much?
    I'm going to assume you're semi-trolling, because I didn't say or imply that. Just because most members of set A have property x, it does not mean or imply that members of set B lack property x.

There are plenty of educated and intelligent people with no need or desire for a BlackBerry phone!

I am saying that only a small percentage of the population actually needs a phone with the features that are BlackBerry's traditional strengths, but that doesn't mean that those people choose BlackBerry phones, and it doesn't mean that people who choose other phones don't have intelligence, education, or important jobs.

Blackberry's traditionally were for people whose written communication while away from their desks was judged by their employers to be worth many thousands of dollars a year to justify the direct and indirect costs of buying and managing the phones. That's a very small percentage of the population, and it's generally neither the smartest people or the most intelligent. Most successful business leaders are what I would call "high average" at best, and many are average or low average!

Most smartphone users today tap out a few tweets, FB updates, or text messages during the day, and spend most of their time either consuming media or posting their photos and media. Their intelligence is not an issue. It's what they do that determines what kind of phone they value.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-19-17 09:27 AM
    I'm going to assume you're semi-trolling, because I didn't say or imply that. Just because most members of set A have property x, it does not mean or imply that members of set B lack property x.

There are plenty of educated and intelligent people with no need or desire for a BlackBerry phone!

I am saying that only a small percentage of the population actually needs a phone with the features that are BlackBerry's traditional strengths, but that doesn't mean that those people choose BlackBerry phones, and it doesn't mean that people who choose other phones don't have intelligence, education, or important jobs.

Blackberry's traditionally were for people whose written communication while away from their desks was judged by their employers to be worth many thousands of dollars a year to justify the direct and indirect costs of buying and managing the phones. That's a very small percentage of the population, and it's generally neither the smartest people or the most intelligent. Most successful business leaders are what I would call "high average" at best, and many are average or low average!

Most smartphone users today tap out a few tweets, FB updates, or text messages during the day, and spend most of their time either consuming media or posting their photos and media. Their intelligence is not an issue. It's what they do that determines what kind of phone they value.

Why is this so hard for some on here to understand? Seems pretty simple to me.
    12-19-17 02:30 PM
    You didn't say it, but you definitely implied it. That was clearly the reason you brought up intelligence and education.

[/QUOTE]There are plenty of educated and intelligent people with no need or desire for a BlackBerry phone![/QUOTE]

Right. That we agree.

I have NO ISSUE with people who love BB10 or BB phones or who find they meet their needs - but there's an awful lot of people who, in their love for BB, want to denigrate anyone who chooses something else, for whatever reasons - including people who are hardcore BB fans and may have loved BBOS or BB10 and bought plenty of them in the past. It gets a bit old, and if I was a little to quick to pounce on you, that's my bad.
    12-19-17 10:01 PM
    You didn't say it, but you definitely implied it. That was clearly the reason you brought up intelligence and education.
    There are plenty of educated and intelligent people with no need or desire for a BlackBerry phone![/QUOTE]

Right. That we agree.

I have NO ISSUE with people who love BB10 or BB phones or who find they meet their needs - but there's an awful lot of people who, in their love for BB, want to denigrate anyone who chooses something else, for whatever reasons - including people who are hardcore BB fans and may have loved BBOS or BB10 and bought plenty of them in the past. It gets a bit old, and if I was a little to quick to pounce on you, that's my bad.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get that implication from his post at all....but I do think a lot of BB10 users feel that here on CB they're maliciously attacked for their choice of OS.

Can't we all just get along? Haha.
    12-19-17 10:23 PM
    Right. That we agree.

I have NO ISSUE with people who love BB10 or BB phones or who find they meet their needs - but there's an awful lot of people who, in their love for BB, want to denigrate anyone who chooses something else, for whatever reasons - including people who are hardcore BB fans and may have loved BBOS or BB10 and bought plenty of them in the past. It gets a bit old, and if I was a little to quick to pounce on you, that's my bad.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get that implication from his post at all....but I do think a lot of BB10 users feel that here on CB they're maliciously attacked for their choice of OS.

Can't we all just get along? Haha.[/QUOTE]

I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony......
    12-20-17 06:53 AM
    There are plenty of educated and intelligent people with no need or desire for a BlackBerry phone![/QUOTE]

Right. That we agree.

Don't sweat it. I understand the sensitivity. I was trying to make a much more nuanced point, though -- that BB's core market was a subset of a subset of people. I really didn't mean to denigrate people who prefer other phones, for any reason. I could have said it better, I'm sure!

12-20-17 07:27 AM
    Right. That we agree.

Don't sweat it. I understand the sensitivity. I was trying to make a much more nuanced point, though -- that BB's core market was a subset of a subset of people. I really didn't mean to denigrate people who prefer other phones, for any reason. I could have said it better, I'm sure!

Posted with my trusty Z10[/QUOTE]

Does this mean we can all get along, Plus we can teach the world to sing in perfect harmony????

I'm figuring with your new COO gig, there's expense account that needs some testing out. LOL. Congrats by the way....
    12-20-17 07:32 AM
    12-20-17 09:10 AM
    Right. That we agree.....

Does this mean we can all get along, Plus we can teach the world to sing in perfect harmony????

I'm figuring with your new COO gig, there's expense account that needs some testing out. LOL. Congrats by the way....
    LOL. I'm the COO of a small start up, so it's more like volunteering as a Scout Leader! :-)

It's odd how the decade-old image of BlackBerry as an "exclusive" phone for senior executives and VIPs still causes resentment, though. Apple did an amazing job making people feel that their very expensive phones were "democratizing" smart phones!

I stand by my idea about the value of a BB10 phone in 2017 being limited to a small segment of the population whose priority is producing high volumes of written communication rather than producing and consuming multimedia, but I certainly don't believe that everyone who is in that small segment uses or should use a BB10 phone or that those who prefer a BB10 phone are "better" than those who don't.

The reason I say that this group is small (but NOT exclusive) is that studies have shown that only about 15% of people is the US have "full proficiency" in reading and writing, which is why most commercial media are aimed at people with seventh grade literacy levels: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lite..._United_States

Since only a small subset of THOSE highly literate people would be happy to trade the multimedia and app capabilities of an iPhone or Android for the limitations of a BB10 phone, even if it they believed it to be better at producing high volumes of written communication, we see why BB10's core user base could likely never have surpassed 1-2% of the US population.

And that was my point.

12-20-17 09:11 AM

Right. That we agree.

I have NO ISSUE with people who love BB10 or BB phones or who find they meet their needs - but there's an awful lot of people who, in their love for BB, want to denigrate anyone who chooses something else
    [/QUOTE]

When I made my comment about my iPhone-bearing associate constantly running out of power, it was in fact HE who was denigrating my choice of a Black Berry. I was mute on all this, until the second day of our binge pitching when he remarked he just needed "a phone that got stuff done and lasted all day". I responded, simply, "that's why I have a Blackberry". From my POV it's 100% others (usually iPhoners) attacking me for having my Z30. Now, I am not a BBerry fanboy and got the phone when my wife decided to try one. I'm waiting for the 100-2 version of the Motion to arrive and may transition then, as it allegedly has great battery life. Otherwise, frankly, I don't give a damn. Scarlet.
    12-20-17 09:33 AM

When I made my comment about my iPhone-bearing associate constantly running out of power, it was in fact HE who was denigrating my choice of a Black Berry. I was mute on all this, until the second day of our binge pitching when he remarked he just needed "a phone that got stuff done and lasted all day". I responded, simply, "that's why I have a Blackberry". From my POV it's 100% others (usually iPhoners) attacking me for having my Z30. Now, I am not a BBerry fanboy and got the phone when my wife decided to try one. I'm waiting for the 100-2 version of the Motion to arrive and may transition then, as it allegedly has great battery life. Otherwise, frankly, I don't give a damn. Scarlet.
    I screwed up my post, so you actually quoted two different people there, me and Finley.

I think any reasonable person knows that the whole "tribal" loyalty phone thing is just silly.

anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-20-17 09:40 AM
    LOL. I'm the COO of a small start up, so it's more like volunteering as a Scout Leader! :-)

It's odd how the decade-old image of BlackBerry as an "exclusive" phone for senior executives and VIPs still causes resentment, though. Apple did an amazing job making people feel that their very expensive phones were "democratizing" smart phones!
    I personally have no such resentment - I was issued my BB a few days before most of the execs at the bank I was working at got theirs, back in late 2002 or early 2003.

I stand by my idea about the value of a BB10 phone in 2017 being limited to a small segment of the population whose priority is producing high volumes of written communication rather than producing and consuming multimedia, but I certainly don't believe that everyone who is in that small segment uses or should use a BB10 phone or that those who prefer a BB10 phone are "better" than those who don't.
    I got that.

The reason I say that this group is small (but NOT exclusive) is that studies have shown that only about 15% of people is the US have "full proficiency" in reading and writing, which is why most commercial media are aimed at people with seventh grade literacy levels: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lite..._United_States

Since only a small subset of THOSE highly literate people would be happy to trade the multimedia and app capabilities of an iPhone or Android for the limitations of a BB10 phone, even if it they believed it to be better at producing high volumes of written communication, we see why BB10's core user base could likely never have surpassed 1-2% of the US population.

And that was my point.
    And this is my problem. Literacy has a lot less to do with "needing to do high-volume communication when mobile" than you imply, and the implication is also that people who consume media aren't literate (and thus drawn to "less sophisticated" phones like iOS or Android).

The truth is that a lot of the high-paid execs I worked with in several jobs couldn't write to save their lives - and the irony is that this was revealed when they got BBs, because they started answering their own emails instead of having their admin assistants do it, and the difference was night and day.

On the other hand, I know some college students who have typed entire papers on their phones, at a speed that would amaze you given that they used all-touch phones.

Anyway, IMO, the suggestion that someone choosing a BB or not has ANYTHING to do with literacy (and, by extension, intelligence) is, at best, wrong, and at worst, very condescending, as is the implication that people who prioritize the creation or consumption of media vs. long written communication are less educated or literate or smart. Even though I *know* you don't believe that is true across the board, and even though I know that there is SOME truth to that, it's still a pretty elitist position to take, IMO.

IMO, most people who buy BB phones today do so simply out of brand loyalty and familiarity, with some buying them because they still prefer the PKB and BB has become the only real option. But BB has sold an awful lot of all-touch phones in the last 5 years (as a percentage of total phones sold by them), and I'm not sure there's much merit in the argument that people buying Z10s, Z30s, DTEKs, and now the Motion are doing so because they have an advantage over an iPhone or Android for banging out long text communications. You could argue the OS navigation preference for BB10 phones, but the whole "high volumes of written communication" thing is largely not the reason people buy BB phones (with some exception for PKB buyers).
    12-20-17 10:28 AM
    I personally have no such resentment - I was issued my BB a few days before most of the execs at the bank I was working at got theirs, back in late 2002 or early 2003.

I got that.

And this is my problem. Literacy has a lot less to do with "needing to do high-volume communication when mobile" than you imply, and the implication is also that people who consume media aren't literate (and thus drawn to "less sophisticated" phones like iOS or Android).

The truth is that a lot of the high-paid execs I worked with in several jobs couldn't write to save their lives - and the irony is that this was revealed when they got BBs, because they started answering their own emails instead of having their admin assistants do it, and the difference was night and day.

On the other hand, I know some college students who have typed entire papers on their phones, at a speed that would amaze you given that they used all-touch phones.

Anyway, IMO, the suggestion that someone choosing a BB or not has ANYTHING to do with literacy (and, by extension, intelligence) is, at best, wrong, and at worst, very condescending, as is the implication that people who prioritize the creation or consumption of media vs. long written communication are less educated or literate or smart. Even though I *know* you don't believe that is true across the board, and even though I know that there is SOME truth to that, it's still a pretty elitist position to take, IMO.

IMO, most people who buy BB phones today do so simply out of brand loyalty and familiarity, with some buying them because they still prefer the PKB and BB has become the only real option. But BB has sold an awful lot of all-touch phones in the last 5 years (as a percentage of total phones sold by them), and I'm not sure there's much merit in the argument that people buying Z10s, Z30s, DTEKs, and now the Motion are doing so because they have an advantage over an iPhone or Android for banging out long text communications. You could argue the OS navigation preference for BB10 phones, but the whole "high volumes of written communication" thing is largely not the reason people buy BB phones (with some exception for PKB buyers).
    I'm happy to continue this discussion, but please stop conflating my points. I am very clearly NOT stating that "full" literacy as it is measured in most studies means that someone needs to write constantly or that they should have a BlackBerry. I make absolutely NO ASSUMPTIONS about people who don't want a BB10 phone. Anyone who thinks that the phone someone buys has anything to do with intelligence doesn't understand either the mobile phone market or intelligence.

Also, you're the one associating full literacy with intelligence, not me. I said no such thing and know of no evidence that the two are in any way the same thing. It may be that most fully literate people are at least of average intelligence, but that's a conjecture I don't make.

Let me make a direct analogy to help clear this up: If I make an hypothetical phone whose ONLY advantage over other phones is that it has an incredibly robust and accurate compass, and that it is optimized to make using the compass faster and easier than any other app, then it's reasonable that only people who care about having a compass on their phone would be interested in that product. And we can safely assume that only people who know how to and need to use a compass with some regularity would buy that phone if it meant sacrificing other features.

So we can assume that the users of that phone fall into a highly specialized segment of people that is differentiated from the general phone market.

BUT IT DOES NOT IMPLY ANYTHING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DON'T BUY THAT PHONE. They may or may not know how to use a compass, and they may or may not need to use a compass regularly. We have no idea.

Saying that some fast swimmers wear Speedos doesn't mean that all fast swimmers wear Speedos or that wearing a Speedo makes you a fast swimmer.

I'm simply saying that, since BB10 makes phones that are optimized for written communication and work environments, they mostly appeal to people who, for one reason or another, are paid to write a lot as part of their jobs. And since BB10 phones are significantly inferior in terms of multimedia and apps, only a subset of people who are paid to write a lot as part of their professional responsibilities would choose a BlackBerry.

In math terms, we're talking about the intersection of three sets as someone who would CHOOSE A B10 PHONE after 2015:

A: people who care about producing a high volume of written communication
    B: people who write a lot as part of their professional responsibilities
    C: people who don't want or need other phone functions, such as multimedia and apps, that are better supported on iOS or Android

The vast majority of people won't belong to all three sets, even if they belong to one or two of them.

12-20-17 11:10 AM
    You guys have way too much time on your hands. ;-).

Posted via CB10
    12-20-17 11:24 AM
    You guys have way too much time on your hands. ;-).

Posted via CB10
    LOL. I take 5 minutes breaks after every 25 minutes of work, and CB is one of my "break" activities!

12-20-17 12:24 PM
    What is going on with the posts in this thread? There are things I didn't write that are showing in some of my posts...
    12-20-17 12:35 PM
    I disagree. I can't speak for forum users, but anyone I know in real life who uses a BlackBerry does so because of the superior written communication platform, and battery life. And yes, many, or perhaps most of these people also have ios and/or android phones and still choose to use a blackberry for written communication.
    12-20-17 12:42 PM
    I disagree. I can't speak for forum users, but anyone I know in real life who uses a BlackBerry does so because of the superior written communication platform, and battery life. And yes, many, or perhaps most of these people also have ios and/or android phones and still choose to use a blackberry for written communication.
    How many of those are PKB users, and how many are using BB all-touch models? I'm not sure you can point to any significant advantage to "high volume written communication" with an all-touch BB vs. an Android or iOS phone. I've acknowledged that the PKB is definitely a differentiator for that purpose, and I can see why someone who needs to type a ton of messages/emails/reports while mobile would choose one. I just don't see how that applies to all-touch BBs.

Battery life on the Motion (and the PKB KeyOne) is another advantage, but on its own has little to do with "high volume written communications." Similarly, I can understand people who choose BB for security reasons.
    12-20-17 12:52 PM
    How many of those are PKB users, and how many are using BB all-touch models? I'm not sure you can point to any significant advantage to "high volume written communication" with an all-touch BB vs. an Android or iOS phone. I've acknowledged that the PKB is definitely a differentiator for that purpose, and I can see why someone who needs to type a ton of messages/emails/reports while mobile would choose one. I just don't see how that applies to all-touch BBs.

Battery life on the Motion (and the PKB KeyOne) is another advantage, but on its own has little to do with "high volume written communications." Similarly, I can understand people who choose BB for security reasons.
    What about for privacy reasons?
    12-20-17 12:56 PM
    What is going on with the posts in this thread? There are things I didn't write that are showing in some of my posts...
    Fake post fake post fake post........ LOL
    12-20-17 12:56 PM
386 ... 678910 ...