The title says it all. I picked up a classic and would like to swap back and forth between it and my passport a few times a week. What's the least painful way to accomplish this and keep the data synchronization on both devices?

Posted via Passport
    05-08-15 04:28 PM
    What's the least painful way to accomplish this and keep the data synchronization on both devices?
    Set everything up and keep whatever device is not being used charged and connected to WiFi. You'll never have perfect synchronization anyway. You can't even use the same BBID on two devices w/o ultimately screwing up BBM at some point.
    05-08-15 04:31 PM
    Not what I had hoped to hear but what I expected to hear.

Odd thing is that Blackberry has enough different devices that customers want to have more than one of them to use for different types of work, would be nice if Blackberry would come up with some way to make this seamless, just swap your sim and go.

Sad to admit we have 3 black berry users in the family and we all have more than one blackberry 10 device and numerous legacy devices.

Set everything up and keep whatever device is not being used charged and connected to WiFi. You'll never have perfect synchronization anyway. You can't even use the same BBID on two devices w/o ultimately screwing up BBM at some point.
    05-08-15 04:58 PM
    Wait a minute I have a Z10/Q10 and I have used the same BBID for both. I just don't have BBM set up on the Z which is used for media/gaming.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 05:02 PM
    Wait a minute I have a Z10/Q10 and I have used the same BBID for both. I just don't have BBM set up on the Z which is used for media/gaming.

Posted via CB10
    As I said.. at some point.. one accidental opening of BBM and you could screw your account for a bit lol. Not that it won't settle back into place but, I've lost it a few times that way.
    05-08-15 08:57 PM
    I used to switch between a few different BB10 devices and had few issues, besides reauthorizing BBM on each device as I would restart it after inserting the SIM card.

Honestly, it was never a huge issue beyond waiting for everything to sync up. Even with BBM. After a little while everything was working OK.

Now that I have the Passport I'm using it only and haven't swapped at all. I'm eagerly awaiting a new slider device to continue SIM-swapping again.

tl;dr I've had no issues at all swapping devices. YMMV
    05-08-15 09:06 PM
    I'm currently using my CB Z30 but will probably switch back to my Passport in a few days primarily because my Passport browser is a bit faster. I love both the damn things so it's tough. I'll phone VMC and ask them to switch my service from my Z30 back to my Passport. No problem. Ah - so far anyway

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 10:19 PM
    As I said.. at some point.. one accidental opening of BBM and you could screw your account for a bit lol. Not that it won't settle back into place but, I've lost it a few times that way.
    I guess I interpreted what you said differently but that does make sense now. It would be wise to put BBM deep in a folder until you switch everything over to the other less used phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 10:43 PM
    I swapped over from the passport to the Classic today, before the passport I was using the Q10. Blackberry is always just a few features/specs away from the perfect device.

I like the passport but don't like the three row keyboard and tiny spacebar, the other issue with it is the size. I didn't think this would bother me at first but now that the weather has gotten nice out and I am outside working I found that I am constantly trying to find a place to put the passport and it always seems to be in the way while I am working. With the size and shape there just isn't a convenient place to put it pocket wise.

I have to say I felt at home again on the Classic, I didn't realize how much I missed the toolbelt and it reinforced my dislike of the passports 3 row keyboard WTF was BB thinking when they took the function keys off the keyboard? Also love that I can throw the Classic in the leg pocket on my carpenter shorts and not even know it is there or think about it until I need to use it.

But why didn't Blackberry up the specs on the Classic to match the passport? There is a noticeable difference in the speed, the display clarity, the camera, and the overall build quality between the classic and passport. At this point I would say that the Classic will be my summer phone and the passport will be used the rest of the seasons but I will probably swap back and forth more often that that. On the other hand I may be tempted by a slider, I have to say it is nice being able to buy unlocked BB devices outright.

I used to switch between a few different BB10 devices and had few issues, besides reauthorizing BBM on each device as I would restart it after inserting the SIM card.

Honestly, it was never a huge issue beyond waiting for everything to sync up. Even with BBM. After a little while everything was working OK.

Now that I have the Passport I'm using it only and haven't swapped at all. I'm eagerly awaiting a new slider device to continue SIM-swapping again.

tl;dr I've had no issues at all swapping devices. YMMV
    05-08-15 11:10 PM
    The title says it all. I picked up a classic and would like to swap back and forth between it and my passport a few times a week. What's the least painful way to accomplish this and keep the data synchronization on both devices?

Posted via Passport
    While it truly is as simple as keeping the device not being used hooked to WiFi so it stays sync'd, in some instances you will need to call your carrier and do an IMEI switch. While skipping this step will not impact your calling or data, you will have an IMEI mismatch and if you have Insurance on your carrier plan it will not carrier over to the newly activated phone unless the IMEI is complete. So if you have the Classic active and are paying for insurance and switch to your Passport, you really should take the 10 minutes to call the carrier and swap IMEI's to protect your newly activated Passport.

Posted via CB10 with my AT&T Classic
    05-08-15 11:12 PM
    While it truly is as simple as keeping the device not being used hooked to WiFi so it stays sync'd, in some instances you will need to call your carrier and do an IMEI switch. While skipping this step will not impact your calling or data, you will have an IMEI mismatch and if you have Insurance on your carrier plan it will not carrier over to the newly activated phone unless the IMEI is complete. So if you have the Classic active and are paying for insurance and switch to your Passport, you really should take the 10 minutes to call the carrier and swap IMEI's to protect your newly activated Passport.

Posted via CB10 with my AT&T Classic
    Thanks for the tip.
    05-09-15 12:01 AM
    Hello,

I have swapped back and forth a few times between my Passport and my Z30... Whenever I try to use apps that connect with BBM, I have to go in to BBM on the current device and it asks if I want to switch my BBM registration from my old device to this device and I just select "yes".

To be honest, I don't use BBM for anything other than linking up with my apps that require it. Am I running a risk? I want the ability to swap between my devices freely depending on what kind of mood I am in that day...

So, if I really don't use BBM for anything are there any risks to this? It is a very small nuisance to swap my BBM registration to the current device, but someone made a comment above that said "One accidental opening of BBM and I could screw up my account for a bit".

That concerns me. Should I be?

Thanks.
    05-23-15 02:49 PM