Howdy folks,

For years I've been using a big fan of Palm devices and have used my trusty Palm/HP Pre 3 since forever. About a year ago, my Pre decided to give up on life and no longer work. After many attempts to fix it, I decided to give up. I temporary switched over to Android and hated it with a passion. So, since I couldn't find anything else worth my time, I decided to try out KaiOS. Well, turns out Kai is absolute crap too and after using it for about 7 months I've decided that it's not for me.

That brings to me my current issue: I don't know where to go! Since webOS devices are hard to come by and tend to be bad condition (not to mention webOS doesn't sync with my cal/cardDAV servers), android is ****, and kaiOS is a scam - I'm running out of options for a simple phone to use. I don't need anything too fancy: texting (group messaging would be nice, not necessary), calling, email, contacts, calendar (preferably syncing with cardDAV and calDAV servers), basic web browser, and basic maps (static maps are fine). I've been doing some research on these old BB phones running BB10 and am curious if it's actually a viable option for me.

Given the criteria listed above, is there a BB10 phone for me - if so, which one? Or would y'all recommend I just suck it up and go to Android?

PS: I prefer smaller phones, which is why I loved webOS so much. I'm also on T-Mobile in the US, if that helps.
    02-24-20 08:51 PM
    There are several extensive threads discussing the future viability of using BB10 devices. BB10 will work for some use cases and knowing the limitations. For others, it will either not work or be a constant exercise in frustration.

I miss it, but gave up and moved to Android.
    02-24-20 09:03 PM
    Get an Android or iOS device like all other productive users. Even if you get BB10 phone now (it might be currently usable), you will be forced to ditch it one day like your WebOS phone.

Sorry! You are very late for that party.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-24-20 09:09 PM
    Given your demands are pretty basic, I would suggest a BlackBerry Classic or a Z variant if a non keyboard device is of interest.

I enjoy the BB10 for it's ability to integrate nicely with MS Outlook using Exchange Active Sync. That way my contacts, calendars and email sync with my laptop. My wife and I are able to use shared calendars too, which is helpful with 4 kids to keep track of. The nice thing is that it will work with Office 365 or MS Exchange as I had a case at one place where they had a BYOD policy. I highly recommend using the device password if you do. That way you don't have to update the password on you BlackBerry device when you need to change your login password.

As others have pointed out, BB10 is EOL. I believe the last devices made were in 2015. So the hardware is dated and getting batteries will probably be an issue down the road.

There are some apps still available via BBW. My daily apps are Feedminder for RSS feeds (unfortunately https feeds are not supported), B-pod for podcasts, Crackberry app and Rad.io for web streaming of radio sources.

The web browser works for the most part, but is showing it's age with the changing web technologies.

The native maps program works fairly well. I think Tom Tom is the map engine in the background. I also have Maps.Me which is Android based, but can be installed by downloading the apk file from their website by searching in support for what to do when you can't install from Google Play.

FYI, the Android runtime is stuck at 4.3 on the BB10 devices. They use a BlackBerry implementation, with the Amazon app store as the source for Android Apps. You can load apk files from outside sources. However, if it requires Google Play Services it will not work or require patching. There are threads on CB that describe the process. I haven't had the ambition to do so.

As for password storage, the native Password app is good, but can only be accessed on your BlackBerry device and uses BlackBerry services to sync to the cloud. I have used Password Safe for years, so I installed it from the Amazon Play store which is natively installed on BB10 devices. There is KeePass available for install from the BBW as a native app. The nice thing is I can send a copy of my encrypted password safe data file to my device and have access to all my password data on the go as I have at home.

I am on AT&T, so I can't comment on T-Mobile capability. I believe if you get the GSM variant or an unlocked AT&T version, you may be able to use it.

Others will probably chime in with thoughts one way or another. Some of us like the productivity features as you described and plan to use our BlackBerries to the end. (I was a renegade at a prior employer where IT hunted me down to turn in my BlackBerry Bold because they needed to retire their BES server. I held out to the bitter end with a few others as they were down grading us to iPhones)

Anders

Posted via CB10
    02-24-20 09:48 PM
    If you're willing to try a new experience I would opt for the Passport. I know that it's seemingly a big phone but really by today's standards it's not. Once you learn all the tricks of the keyboard and absorb the OS with all of its work arounds you still maybe impressed. I fear that any other BB10 device will not have the horse power to run certain APK'S well enough for you.
    Good luck on the research and decision. This is the place to be if you choose to go that route.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    02-25-20 05:31 AM
    If you're willing to try a new experience I would opt for the Passport. I know that it's seemingly a big phone but really by today's standards it's not. Once you learn all the tricks of the keyboard and absorb the OS with all of its work arounds you still maybe impressed. I fear that any other BB10 device will not have the horse power to run certain APK'S well enough for you.
    Good luck on the research and decision. This is the place to be if you choose to go that route.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    I've seen a lot of folks talk about how much they love their Passport but I'm still very skeptical about it. I really dislike large phones and the Passport just seems like an awkward size - especially the width. I would probably be most comfortable with something smaller like the Classic or Q10.
    02-25-20 06:39 AM
    Phones are very cheap at this point, it you want to give it a try....
    02-25-20 07:04 AM
    Between the Q10 and Classic, which would y'all recommend? I don't see much difference except for some minor stuff. It doesn't look like the Z30 will work on T-Mobile, as it doesn't support the correct bands. The Q10 or Passport would be the best options in terms of T-Mobile band support.
    02-25-20 07:30 AM
    Between the Q10 and Classic, which would y'all recommend? I don't see much difference except for some minor stuff. It doesn't look like the Z30 will work on T-Mobile, as it doesn't support the correct bands. The Q10 or Passport would be the best options in terms of T-Mobile band support.
    Given your needs, the Q10. It's smaller and has a removable battery (and MicroSD). It's the best Pixi Palm never made.

It would help if you had phone repair skills, since many of the devices develop double typing, at which point the keyboard should be replaced.
    NuclearKev and anon(5597702) like this.
    02-25-20 07:55 AM
    The Z30 -5 model factory unlocked performed well on T-Mobile in 2015 for me. I couldn’t use on primary AT&T lines without LTE coverage. That said, Classic over Q10 plus I’d avoid Z10 and it’s battery issues. The Z30 and Leap were acceptable for BB VKB at time.

I’m with you on the Passport shape and size which for me, it was too awkward. The Passport specs in a Key2 design back then would have been optimal.
    02-25-20 08:04 AM
    The Z30 -5 model factory unlocked performed well on T-Mobile in 2015 for me. I couldn’t use on primary AT&T lines without LTE coverage. That said, Classic over Q10 plus I’d avoid Z10 and it’s battery issues. The Z30 and Leap were acceptable for BB VKB at time.

I’m with you on the Passport shape and size which for me, it was too awkward. The Passport specs in a Key2 design back then would have been optimal.
    Interesting that the Z30 worked on T-Mobile for ya - maybe PhoneArena's information is incorrect. What makes you vote Classic over Q10?
    02-25-20 08:12 AM
    Interesting that the Z30 worked on T-Mobile for ya - maybe PhoneArena's information is incorrect. What makes you vote Classic over Q10?
    Q10 lacks iconic tool belt. Classic, hence the name, regained that feature. For me, the Classic was the 9900 successor as I’m sure others like @idssteve might agree.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    02-25-20 08:16 AM
    To me, the -1 looks like the best fit for TMO. Bands 2, 4, and 5.

02-25-20 08:20 AM
    [IMG=600x315]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200225/c3ff333f7a49757f1fa60038be36eb05.jpg[/url]
    [IMG=523x632]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200225/c0aee67341ff56e3cc2bdfbe5cc3e54b.jpg[/url]
    Why does chart say -5 for T-Mobile USA ?
    02-25-20 09:34 AM
    Why does chart say -5 for T-Mobile USA ?
    Because it will technically work, but you're missing band 2 which is one of their most used frequencies.
    02-25-20 09:38 AM
    [IMG=600x315]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200225/c3ff333f7a49757f1fa60038be36eb05.jpg[/url]
    [IMG=523x632]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200225/c0aee67341ff56e3cc2bdfbe5cc3e54b.jpg[/url]
    is -1 the Q10?
    02-25-20 09:38 AM
    Because it will technically work, but you're missing band 4 which is one of their most used frequencies.
    I though -1 was the one that wasn’t ever released... the -5 was the factory unlocked.
    02-25-20 09:40 AM
    is -1 the Q10?
    No. These are the Z30 models.

Q10:
    02-25-20 09:40 AM
    I though -1 was the one that wasn’t ever released... the -5 was the factory unlocked.
    Actually, you're right. That's why the z30 was problematic for US carriers.
    02-25-20 09:41 AM
    I think the Z30 would go counter to your "small phone" usages.... if considering a SLAB, Z10 or LEAP would be a good option.

Also think the Passport is way beyond "small phone"...

1st narrow down the form factor.... PKB or SLAB, then the size.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-25-20 09:58 AM
    I think the Z30 would go counter to your "small phone" usages.... if considering a SLAB, Z10 or LEAP would be a good option.

Also think the Passport is way beyond "small phone"...

1st narrow down the form factor.... PKB or SLAB, then the size.
    I think I'd prefer the PKB.
    02-25-20 10:02 AM
    I think I'd prefer the PKB.
    The Classic if you must go BB10 however, I’d grab a KEYone or Key2 and limit or avoid using apps. That’s just me.
    02-25-20 10:10 AM
    Howdy folks,

For years I've been using a big fan of Palm devices and have used my trusty Palm/HP Pre 3 since forever. About a year ago, my Pre decided to give up on life and no longer work. After many attempts to fix it, I decided to give up. I temporary switched over to Android and hated it with a passion. So, since I couldn't find anything else worth my time, I decided to try out KaiOS. Well, turns out Kai is absolute crap too and after using it for about 7 months I've decided that it's not for me.

That brings to me my current issue: I don't know where to go! Since webOS devices are hard to come by and tend to be bad condition (not to mention webOS doesn't sync with my cal/cardDAV servers), android is ****, and kaiOS is a scam - I'm running out of options for a simple phone to use. I don't need anything too fancy: texting (group messaging would be nice, not necessary), calling, email, contacts, calendar (preferably syncing with cardDAV and calDAV servers), basic web browser, and basic maps (static maps are fine). I've been doing some research on these old BB phones running BB10 and am curious if it's actually a viable option for me.

Given the criteria listed above, is there a BB10 phone for me - if so, which one? Or would y'all recommend I just suck it up and go to Android?

PS: I prefer smaller phones, which is why I loved webOS so much. I'm also on T-Mobile in the US, if that helps.
    Jump in, you have the direct advantage of coming in with eyes wide open. Some things no longer work, others have a solid work around. Best part is you will get solid help here, the water is fine. Looking forward to seeing you in the OS 10 pool. Sent from my Gold Standard T-Rex........Silver PassPort!
    NuclearKev and ppeters914 like this.
    02-25-20 10:42 AM
    The Passport, if you want to try BB10. It does have the power still. No need to dual carry also. Well, that's just me as well.
    NuclearKev and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-25-20 10:45 AM
    Howdy folks,

A BB10 phone should meet most of your requirements extreme well. Here are the caveats:

Web Browser: The stock Web browser is fantastic, but somewhat obsolete. Some Web sites don't render properly and some functionality may be missing on highly interactive sites. But it has a great reader mode and other benefits that might partially compensate.

Maps: The stock maps are no longer updated, though traffic, travel time and turn by turn navigation work pretty well in most locations. Google Maps works in the browser, and there are multiple OpenStreetMap-based solutions, though all are somewhat clunky compared to Google Maps.

All of your other requirements would great with stock apps, including group SMS. (I'd go so far as to say that most of them are superior to anything on Android or iOS.)

BUT, please note the following:
    1) The phones are EOL, and likely won't receive any further updates.
    2) The Q10 and Z10 have swappable batteries. You may need to perform surgery to replace old batteries on other devices.
    3) The BlackBerry World app store may be turned off at any time. This would not affect stock apps.
    4) The native sync utilities for OneDrive, Box and Dropbox are no longer supported and do kit work.

From what you say, I think you may genuinely like BB10 and kick yourself for not switching sooner, but you'll need to make some accommodations.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    02-25-20 11:16 AM
64 123