The universal search feature in BB10 is awesome. Recently found out that in addition to searching, I can also update my social media status. So below are three things I use the universial search for. The question is: can the universal search be used for other things as well? Any hidden features?

1) Search option itself � One of the best in my opinion. Looks for whatever your are searching for across the device.
    2) Launch � Find what you are looking for, click and launch.
    3) Social media status updates� Using fb/tw/li for followed by the post, click the post button and update status
    Bungalow_Bill and Nels like this.
    07-06-14 04:12 AM
    You can use it to add notes to Remember. Simply type 'note' or 'diary' followed by what you want to add in the note.

Channel for BlackBerry users in India
    rai187, Q10Bold and dusdal like this.
    07-06-14 06:05 AM
    Yups! Universal search on BlackBerry ? is awesome. You can even just type 'Google something' and go straight to the browser. In fact I think I use search to launch apps 60% of the time !

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 06:14 AM
    Text or call can be done on the Universal Search, as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 06:24 AM
    Wow, I can't believe I've overlooked this for so long. It's pretty amazing. One use I can see right away is finding that app that's buried in one of those folders on one of those pages. I'm definitely going to have to explore this more. I love this kind of built-in and totally integrated functionality.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 01:10 PM
    Text or call can be done on the Universal Search, as well.

Posted via CB10
    You can also BBM or Email someone by typing 'BBM [insert name]' or 'Email [insert name / email address]'.
    07-06-14 04:22 PM
    excellent suggestions. Let the tops flow and I will - in a few days time - summarise all the good pints on one post under this thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 04:28 PM
    You can use it to launch other search engines in the browser. I have added a French-English search on Word reference because I live in a bilingual city but am not yet properly bilingual. This saves me from having to open the browser, then select the site from my bookmarks or change the search engine. Okay, so it only saves seconds...

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-06-14 07:24 PM
    Apps can be integrated into Universal Search as well, like Wikipedia for BlackBerry 10. Allows you to search wikipedia within the app directly from universal search.

sum one likes this.
    07-07-14 12:07 PM
    Have to say. I didn't know any of this stuff. Just tried the Google search, the bbm and email. Wow. Works so well. Thanks. All.

Op.. good thread.
    Mr_F and Banco like this.
    07-07-14 01:12 PM
    BlackBerry Maps is also available as an Instant Action within Universal Search. Typing 'Map [insert address / insert POI]' will open that location in the Maps app.

You can then navigate to that place by simply tapping the arrow icon shown on screen.

Alternatively, you can just enter the address / POI into the search bar and then tap the Maps icon in the Extended Search section (if you have it toggled on).
    07-07-14 02:45 PM
    Have to say. I didn't know any of this stuff. Just tried the Google search, the bbm and email. Wow. Works so well. Thanks. All.

Op.. good thread.
    Nor me. Isn't that great?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 02:49 PM
    Apps can be integrated into Universal Search as well, like Wikipedia for BlackBerry 10. Allows you to search wikipedia within the app directly from universal search.

You can do that with certain website too. For example I have both IMBD and Wikipedia (websites) available as options within the Extended Search section.
    07-07-14 02:51 PM

Op.. good thread.
    Google doesn't work on my z10

Z10
    07-07-14 02:51 PM
    Can also type "google" [insert text], to search Google

Or replace it with bing or yahoo

Posted via CB on my BlackBerry Z30
    07-07-14 02:53 PM
    Can also type "google" [insert text], to search Google

Or replace it with bing or yahoo

Posted via CB on my BlackBerry Z30
    You can perform these type of searches without typing 'Google / Bing / Yahoo' first - you just have to enable them in the Extended Search section.

To customize your Extended Search options - Open Universal Search > swipe down from top bezel > tap 'Settings' > then tap on the 'Extended' tab.
    07-07-14 03:03 PM
    You can perform these type of searches without typing 'Google / Bing / Yahoo' first - you just have to enable them in the Extended Search section.

To customize your Extended Search options - Open Universal Search > swipe down from top bezel > tap 'Settings' > then tap on the 'Extended' tab.
    No option to open browser

Z10
    07-07-14 03:37 PM
    No option to open browser

Z10
    Just start entering the URL. You should see it pop up as an option after the second 'W' in www.

Let me know if that works.
    07-07-14 05:22 PM
    You can add new tasks to Checked! Task Pro with universal search.

Type something like "buy milk tomorrow" into search and choose Checked!Task from the extended search section that appears.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 06:09 PM
    Sounds like some of you missed the full power of BB10

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    DocDRM likes this.
    07-07-14 08:23 PM
    Amazing thread. Keep listing more! I guess this is more valuable on the Q10 as you don't need to hit the search button instead you can just directly type without even looking!

Posted via CB10 on the Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    JTon likes this.
    07-07-14 08:33 PM
    Some commands I found working on my 10.3 device (not sure if they are new):

How/what/who/where [question]: opens the Wolfram Alpha answer for your question.

Open [website]: opens browser to that website. Cannot get it to open other applications unfortunately.

I am guessing those commands will all get voice recognition too, so the instant actions may become much more versatile.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    07-10-14 06:00 AM
    "todo" or "reminders" followed by text to add a task
    "diary" or "note" or "pad" followed by text to add a note
    "help" followed by topic, searches it in help
    "linkedin" followed by text to update status on LinkedIn
    "map" followed by address opens in Maps
    "play" followed by song or video name to play it
    Mr_F and JTon like this.
    07-10-14 07:45 AM
    ^^ I didn't know about the 'Play' one - thanks for that.
    07-10-14 07:59 AM
    The 'play' command is pretty redundant, as searching for a song and tapping on it plays it as well.

07-10-14 08:11 AM
46 12