I am wondering, because this is so inconvenient for me, but is there a way on BB10 music app to show all of the tracks of an album regardless of the artist for that track?

Suppose there is an album titled A.
    Track 1 is by artist called a, track 2 is by b and track 3 is by c.

When an album is comprised like this, then when I go into music app, choose Library from the left side menu, then go to "Albums", then I would see three separate album entries listed, each containing the track 1, 2 and 3 respectively.
    The screen I reach after going into an album will then have all songs from other albums (like, really different albums, not the albums fictitiously separated by the music app as just described above) listed below.

I think this problem occus because the particular series of music I listen to is comes out in such a way that each album has many contributing artists and then a different album then has many different contributing artists, some of whom overlap with those in the first album.
    In other words, Library -> Albums doesn't really organize songs by albums. It in fact organizes them by albums + artists. That is, Albums lists album A + artist a as a separate album from album A + artist b and from album A + artist c. I do not need that additional organization, as Library menu actually has "Artists" organization separately, as well as "Genres". I want a list where I can see all the songs in album A, regardless of who sung each song in that album.

I hope this makes sense. All I want is for all the songs from one album to show up in a single list, regardless who the artist for each of those songs may be.

Oh, and editing metadata is not an option. I have quite many such songs and albums.

I am on 10.3.1.1865.

Thanks.
    06-15-15 07:29 AM
    Unfortunately I don't know of a way other than editing the tags. I know it sounds like a pain but there's a program out there that is pretty good at it; a freebie called Tag Scanner. You can select a whole group of songs and apply the same settings to them, making changes like this go much quicker than individually editing each file.

Richard
    06-15-15 09:45 AM
    The key to this is actually in the ID3 Tag. When you change the information of an mp3, there should be two separate fields. One should be for album artist and one for contributing artist (or just Artist in some programs). The album artist should be set for Various Artists. The contributing artist should be set to the actual artist who actually made the song. Once this is don't correctly, the album should show up as one whole while each song will be credited to the individual artist. I did this for my Burlesque soundtrack album, which features songs by Cher and Christina Aguilera, and it worked. The best program to use without having to download new software is Windows Media Player. (not Center)

Is there a way to show all tracks of an album in the music app?-img_20150615_075511.png

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 09:57 AM
    Thank you both.

When Richard HBB told me to edit the tags, I was reluctant because I thought that meant having to change the individual artist names to the same name and lose the information about the name of the actual artist (apart from the reluctance coming from the fact that I didn't know how to do this in batches - which I now know there are programs out there that help you do it).

ImBerryCurious's explanation about there being a tag field for album artists and contributing artists makes good sense.
    So what BB10 music app is doing is treating one album-album artist pair as a separate album.
    This means that if I set the album artist for all songs in an album to "Various Artists" or something else (so long as it's all the same) and move the contributing artist names that are currently occupying the album artist tag of each song to it's correct place, which is the contributing artist tag, then I should have what I want.
    I can see that the first exercise would be relatively easy - just make all album artist tag as "Various Artist". What about the second exercise? I would need to move the contributing artist names that are currently entered as album artist to the right place. Can a program out there do this easily for me in batches?

Also, once I do all this, will I still see the actual artist information in the music app? Will I still be able to search particular songs with the actual performing artist's name? In other words, won't I see "Various Artist" as the artist for all of the songs regardless of who actually performed it? I wouldn't necessarily want that either.
    06-15-15 12:50 PM
    Might be easier just create a play list?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 03:07 PM
    Unfortunately I don't know of a way other than editing the tags. I know it sounds like a pain but there's a program out there that is pretty good at it; a freebie called Tag Scanner. You can select a whole group of songs and apply the same settings to them, making changes like this go much quicker than individually editing each file.

Richard
    MP3Tag is also very good and a freebie. I use it all the time.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    06-15-15 03:12 PM