I've stopped using my Priv and gone back in time to my Blackberry Classic to try to reduce my smartphone use. The browser is hideously slow - is there a text-only setting?
    09-22-19 06:45 AM
    I've stopped using my Priv and gone back in time to my Blackberry Classic to try to reduce my smartphone use. The browser is hideously slow - is there a text-only setting?
    No, there is not. You may be thinking of the "Reader" setting while in the browser. Once you are on a web page you can tap the overflow menu bottom right then select Reader. This will display text only on the screen but only if that page supports this function. Some web pages will and some won't. A few web sites may have a low-bandwidth usage version of their website such as CNN. This site can then be placed on the desktop as a shortcut. That is the best you can do, however.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/acces...idth-websites/
    09-22-19 09:22 AM
    Good pointers! I'd add since you have a Classic: you can just use "R" on the physical keyboard to access reader mode too.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 and elfabio80 like this.
    09-22-19 10:08 AM
    If the point of going backwards is to limit usage, then why go beyond email, calls and text? At the point you’re using the browser, you might as go back to PRIV or limit yourself another way.
    09-22-19 12:41 PM
    I'd like to be able to do useful things like look up phone numbers without getting sucked into facebook et al.
    09-22-19 02:34 PM
    Also the Classic is a nicer size for a pocket!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-22-19 02:34 PM
    Aww, that's a shame. Thanks for the info tho'!
    09-22-19 02:35 PM
    Cool, thank you!
    09-22-19 02:36 PM
    I'd like to be able to do useful things like look up phone numbers without getting sucked into facebook et al.
    Contact list is contact list. If you mean looking up phone numbers, I use google search. Facebook requires logging in so you’re safe unless you choose to login.
    09-22-19 05:58 PM
    Get Browsie Browser. Disable javascript and images.

If you're somewhat computer savvy and have shell access to a server, links, links2, e-links, and lynx all work great via terminal.

Posted via CB10
    dehydrogenated likes this.
    09-22-19 10:46 PM
    Get Browsie Browser. Disable javascript and images.

If you're somewhat computer savvy and have shell access to a server, links, links2, e-links, and lynx all work great via terminal.

Posted via CB10
    I'm assuming you don't mean there is a native or android "Lynx" browser for bb10 do you?
    Or are you just saying load up a Shell Terminal App (which one?) and telnet or whatever to your server and have the pages served up on the server read via the phones terminal session. Which one has good keyboard support for the Z-series, which one for the Q-series?

I'm a little rusty on this. Also are there relatively trustworthy (lol) free Servers hosting lynx , if one does not have their own (any more)....gosh I guess I could fire up the ancient linux laptop though.
    09-23-19 06:12 AM
    I'm assuming you don't mean there is a native or android "Lynx" browser for bb10 do you?
    Or are you just saying load up a Shell Terminal App (which one?) and telnet or whatever to your server and have the pages served up on the server read via the phones terminal session. Which one has good keyboard support for the Z-series, which one for the Q-series?

I'm a little rusty on this. Also are there relatively trustworthy (lol) free Servers hosting lynx , if one does not have their own (any more)....gosh I guess I could fire up the ancient linux laptop though.
    I use BGShellPlus from BlackBerry World, works fine. Then simply ssh into a sever and run your terminal programs. If you know how to use gnu screen you can even keep secession active while your disconnected.

I prefer links to lynx with passport keyboard...

I had a semi working copy of links working for bb10 a couple years ago, but it was fairly unstable. Easier to just use a server.

As for free shells, I won't have an answer to that. I own a few servers... Most free shells are gone these days thanks to bad actors. You can pick up a cheap vps though. Root node has some for like $10/quarter or so.

You could run something like this: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp as well. I haven't tried it yet, but it could be a solution.

Anyhoo, I only did the terminal stuff while Browsie wasn't free, and I was on mobile data. Now that Browsie is free, I just disable javascript and images in it when I need low bandwidth browsing. Does the same thing...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-19 01:19 PM
    [QUOTE=BronzeBeard;13446604]Get Browsie Browser. Disable javascript and images.

Not terribly computer savvy, I will try the Browsie! Thank you!
    09-23-19 02:31 PM
    Contact list is contact list. If you mean looking up phone numbers, I use google search. Facebook requires logging in so you’re safe unless you choose to login.
    Yeah, looking up phone numbers via google is useful, so I'd like to be able to do things like that, i.e. that have an endpoint. What I want to avoid is the endless scroll. The Classic is working well so far, it's just the browser is quite slow even for simple things like googling a phone number.
    09-23-19 02:41 PM
    Yeah, looking up phone numbers via google is useful, so I'd like to be able to do things like that, i.e. that have an endpoint. What I want to avoid is the endless scroll. The Classic is working well so far, it's just the browser is quite slow even for simple things like googling a phone number.
    That’s your trade off. You can find at least five browsers with 10x the opinions with each as the best or worst for certain sites. Personally, I believe much of it really is just placebo. When you complain slow, what’s your reference line?
    09-23-19 07:19 PM
    I use BGShellPlus from BlackBerry World, works fine. Then simply ssh into a sever and run your terminal programs. If you know how to use gnu screen you can even keep secession active while your disconnected.

I prefer links to lynx with passport keyboard...

I had a semi working copy of links working for bb10 a couple years ago, but it was fairly unstable. Easier to just use a server.

As for free shells, I won't have an answer to that. I own a few servers... Most free shells are gone these days thanks to bad actors. You can pick up a cheap vps though. Root node has some for like $10/quarter or so.

You could run something like this: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp as well. I haven't tried it yet, but it could be a solution.

Anyhoo, I only did the terminal stuff while Browsie wasn't free, and I was on mobile data. Now that Browsie is free, I just disable javascript and images in it when I need low bandwidth browsing. Does the same thing...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! I'm going to try that out when I get some time.
    09-24-19 04:12 PM