An inexplicable reboot happened to my BB10 device. I was typing while running a timer. However, after the BlackBerry "rebooted" the timer was still running and finished as normal, though other apps appeared to have been closed or forced into the background during the process. I am using the term "soft boot" only because I don't know what else to call it. It is as if the device refreshed itself though not truly shutting down and rebooting.

Has anyone else seen this or know if it certain conditions or keyboard presses initiates it?

Thanks. This is a mystery to me. (And yes, I did consider hardware failure, but not sure yet if anything is malfunctioning).
    11-28-16 10:57 AM
    Inexplicable?? Everything can be explained. It's as easy as making one up to suit your needs.
    To prove my point, I'll go first!

Chances are you recently downloaded an app or updated one.After installing, updating or deleting an app always reboot your device. Many apps require a reboot to finish the installation just like your home computer. To reboot, hold down the On/Off button.. You'll see the countdown. 3,2,1.... let go of the button and tap "restart" on the bottom right. You should reboot your device several times a week.I reboot my Passport every night before I put it on the charger stand and into Bedside mode.

See? even I believe it!
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 11-28-16 at 09:14 PM.
    11-28-16 12:51 PM
    CT, I've seen this before, usually when running a timer. I will find that when the timer rings, all of my active frames have closed, so the device has rebooted. Other times when it reboots, the timer state is lost. Go figure. All 6 of the BB10 devices I've owned have occasionally rebooted like this, I suppose it's better than Android which just gradually becomes really flaky and laggy and needs to be manually restarted. I believe that the same thing goes on with iPhones as well.

*Sigh*, my N95 never used to do this

[edit] I'm out of touch with the architecture of BB10, could this be just the UI restarting itself, but with the processes still running in the background? [edit]

Posted via CB10
    11-28-16 04:25 PM
    Thanks for your input Niallac. It's good to have a few choices. Besides, no one ever listens to me anyway.

BB10 is like no other mobile OS. And nothing like the older Blackberry OS's

That being said and because I'm always right (it's a gift) I feel I must express to Turtle (I must... I must) that in this particular case, the "timer" theory, which may be useful in another scenario, has nothing to do with this issue, ( I know this because I'm always right) unless you're having issues with your timer. (WHAT???? YOU DON"T BELIEVE ME?????)

Oh hell, the easiest way to say this with out being disrespectful, is to simply agree with Niallac when he says ":he's out of touch with the architecture of BB10" I'd classify it as being somewhere in the vicinity of coming out of a bomb shelter for the first time since WWII.
    I'm just having some fun Niallac! (please don't take offence.) I suffer from extreme happiness!
    11-28-16 09:04 PM
    CT, I've seen this before, usually when running a timer. I will find that when the timer rings, all of my active frames have closed, so the device has rebooted. Other times when it reboots, the timer state is lost. Go figure. All 6 of the BB10 devices I've owned have occasionally rebooted like this, I suppose it's better than Android which just gradually becomes really flaky and laggy and needs to be manually restarted. I believe that the same thing goes on with iPhones as well.

*Sigh*, my N95 never used to do this

[edit] I'm out of touch with the architecture of BB10, could this be just the UI restarting itself, but with the processes still running in the background? [edit]

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your input! I will do some additional testing.

I like my coffee  BlackBerry black! What?
    11-30-16 12:45 PM
    @LostBoy Thanks...if not for anything, the laughs!
    Reboots do a good job with giving you a fresh experience.

I like my coffee  BlackBerry black! What?
    11-30-16 12:47 PM