Answer yes.
    There's an issue with displaying first line of each email on a locked phone.
    But don't worry, just displaying the sender eliminates the problem.
    With BlackBerry 10 you can set notifications as follows so the first line of message is not shown:

Are there security issues with lock screen notifications?-img_20141214_203051.png

Anyone know if you can set the same on Ios or Android?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 05:48 PM
    How is displaying the first line of an email a "security" issue? Do you plan on emailing you self your unlock code?

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-14-14 07:12 PM
    How is displaying the first line of an email a "security" issue? Do you plan on emailing you self your unlock code?

In some cases the first line of an email if seen by someone other than the addressee could be an information leak, and therefore a security problem. Not all security issues are related to getting unauthorized access to the phone.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    12-14-14 08:43 PM
    In some cases the first line of an email if seen by someone other than the addressee could be an information leak, and therefore a security problem. Not all security issues are related to getting unauthorized access to the phone.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    If someone is worried about an information leak due to the first line in an email being seen on the BlackBerry 10 lock screen, they probably should be using a protected BES account which to my understanding do not show up on the lock screen unless the work space is unlocked.

Then again they probably shouldn't be sending information back and forth they don't want seen from a lock screen in an unencrypted email. I would venture that the person who raised this concern is referring to emails they get over the Internet, not from their local corporate email system, and as such are technically exposed to the world.

The term "security issue" is thrown around too loosely.

MeerMusik likes this.
    12-14-14 09:00 PM
    ^ I agree.

And why did you even make this thread?
    12-14-14 09:10 PM
    He's asking if ios or android has the "show sender only option "
    I don't know
    12-14-14 09:25 PM
    He's asking if ios or android has the "show sender only option "
    I don't know
    You are correct. I apologize.
    12-14-14 09:29 PM
    On Lollipop you can set hide sensitive notification on lockscreen on a global or on a per app basis. It does much the same thing. Notifies sender but not content.
    Are there security issues with lock screen notifications?-izkoguz.png
    Are there security issues with lock screen notifications?-yexg8zc.png

In IOS 8 I believe you can control if a specific app sends notifiations viewable in the lockscreen but not how it appears.
    12-14-14 11:00 PM
    If someone is worried about an information leak due to the first line in an email being seen on the BlackBerry 10 lock screen, they probably should be using a protected BES account which to my understanding do not show up on the lock screen unless the work space is unlocked.

Then again they probably shouldn't be sending information back and forth they don't want seen from a lock screen in an unencrypted email. I would venture that the person who raised this concern is referring to emails they get over the Internet, not from their local corporate email system, and as such are technically exposed to the world.

The term "security issue" is thrown around too loosely.

All true, except the last paragraph. I don't think such a non-specific term can be thrown around too loosely, though the OP could have been more specific.

On the other hand, it was used in the title where brevity is important, and I thought that in the context of the post the specific security issue was clear.
    Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    12-15-14 05:14 AM
    All true, except the last paragraph. I don't think such a non-specific term can be thrown around too loosely, though the OP could have been more specific.

On the other hand, it was used in the title where brevity is important, and I thought that in the context of the post the specific security issue was clear.
    Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    It looks like we have a difference of opinion on semantics. This is probably because I support large scale enterprise email systems for a living, and because a lot people use that term to apply to anything they don't like and/or understand. With software the term "security issue" generally applies to defects/bugs or bad design that lead to system compromise or unintended data access.

Having the first line of an email visible on the lock screen is not a "security issue", if nothing else because it is an opt-in feature so nothing is unintended. Or to put it another way, this is no more a security issue with the BlackBerry 10 lock screen feature than if the user had written down their password in their lock screen contact info. Neither is a flaw with the lock screen. If the OP doesn't want potentially sensitive information showing up on the screen, they have a number of options available to them to mitigate the concern, including not using the feature which is off by default.

Last edited by HotFix; 12-15-14 at 08:29 AM.
    12-15-14 07:37 AM
    It looks like we have a difference of opinion on semantics. This is probably because I support large scale enterprise email systems for a living, and because a lot people use that term to apply to anything they don't like and/or understand. With software the term "security issue" generally applies to defects/bugs or bad design that lead to system compromise or unintended data access.

Having the first line of an email visible on the lock screen is not a "security issue", if nothing else because it is an opt-in feature so nothing is unintended. Or to put it another way, this is no more a security issue with the BlackBerry 10 lock screen feature than if the user had written down their password in their lock screen contact info. Neither is a flaw with the lock screen. If the OP doesn't want potentially sensitive information showing up on the screen, they have a number of options available to them to mitigate the concern, including not using the feature which is off by default.

Sure, I'll buy semantics. It is a security issue, in that the availability of the feature raises issues pertaining to security (in this case information security from disclosure); in contrast to security problem, security vulnerability, etc.
    12-15-14 10:45 AM

Well that's one thing:

And how many online services do just that?

You have forgotten your password, we've sent you a text/email please enter the x digit code?

You want to change your email address, we've sent you a code.

Use 9632580 as Microsoft account security code

You have not used this computer before to log onto your St??m account, a code has bee.....

Regarding Ios and lollipop I believe the option is to include or exclude by app (on or off) so you either have notifications with first line or you don't.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 12:58 PM
    Android 5 is pretty much the same as BB10. Just like the screenshot from above you can limit just how much you want to see
    12-15-14 01:13 PM