I have been trying to make use of a free VPN on my Z10 without a luck. I have hotspot shield subscription on my iphone, iPad and my wife iPhone I still use VPNbook via open VPN on my laptop which is compatible with iDevices but none of above mentioned is compatible with Blackberry.
    I downloaded many free VPN from Snap, they didn't work at all, why is so hard and complicated to get a simple thing done on blackberry? isn't VPN for security? Isn't Blackberry about security? Is there a simple solution for this paradox?

Love my Z10 looking for its successor or go for Z30 when the price is right for me
    09-03-14 03:06 AM
    I'm confused. What do you mean? There's a VPN menu built into the network settings. I use it all the time, mostly because it's required in order for me to remote into my desk or to access a database. When you're connected you get this little key icon on the top heading by the battery bar. You get your IT department to give you the IPSEC Shared Group Key, or your card has to be close to your BlackBerry to two-step authenticate you, or install custom certificates, or whatever they have set up. Idk what you mean by "download". It's there already. You just have to set it up.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 03:18 AM
    See up there by the battery indicator, next to the alarm clock icon, is the Connected to VPN indicator.

Attachment 295411

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 03:21 AM
    It's seems that you really don't get my point.
    I think you are on BES, to use VPN, you don't need any IT department, there are many free VPN out there for iphones and Androids and I had given you an example when I talked about open VPN. VPN is not only about remote desktoping. You can use it to avail yourself with some features or service blocked based on your location or use it to make a secure payment, watch movies and making Voips.
    There are many apps out there which are VPN clients and we have them on both iphones and Android and still they have it built in which can be setup without using client app. Try to read more about VPN, you would get my point, most people are on BIS not BES

Love my Z10 looking for its successor or go for Z30 when the price is right for me
    Last edited by muyaad; 09-03-14 at 04:38 AM.
    09-03-14 04:28 AM
    Yes there are many free VPN for android and iPhone but no one support blackberry .. Check purevpn.com they support blackberry but its paid hope will be helpful
    Thanks, I want free one and I will find my way out I have already subscribed to Hotspot Shield I don't want another paid VPN. I even even turned my PC into Virtual Wi-Fi in order to connect my Z10 to it since I have VPN book running on the PC, Z10 connected easily but there's no Internet. PC shows Internet access but Z10 not.

09-03-14 10:23 AM
    Thanks, I want free one and I will find my way out I have already subscribed to Hotspot Shield I don't want another paid VPN. I even even turned my PC into Virtual Wi-Fi in order to connect my Z10 to it since I have VPN book running on the PC, Z10 connected easily but there's no Internet. PC shows Internet access but Z10 not.

hi friend,
    well i had the same trouble, even the paid ones dosent work fine, i tried using freevpn, hotspotshield, strong vpn, NONE OF IT WORKS AND WILL NOT WORK COZ THE PLATEFORM AND SUPPORT technologies they use are open and BLACKBERRY DOSENT SUPPORT IT.
    thats the problem, and it is a problem, neither good voip providers and not a good VPN providers.
    since i live in middle east and it is and will always be my secondary phone, and i know this thing wont be changed in passport or classic, so i will advise, if this vpn thing is very imp to you like me then consider shifting plateform since they didnt seem to adapt open technologies or anything which vpn providers use.
    09-03-14 10:36 AM
    since i live in middle east and it is and will always be my secondary phone, and i know this thing wont be changed in passport or classic, so i will advise, if this vpn thing is very imp to you like me then consider shifting plateform since they didnt seem to adapt open technologies or anything which vpn providers use.
    Thanks and I am glad that you said you even used paid one that's what I was afraid of, I don't want to pay for a service that will not work as expected. I really have hotspot shield on my iPad 24/7 on. If you read my first post you would know that I have it. And I'm constantly use it to stream some services that are not available from the middle east.
    Z10 is not my primary driver I own an iPhone 5 but I just like to take use of a feature embedded in Z10 since I have enjoyed the same features on my iOS.

09-03-14 11:57 AM
    I think you are on BES, to use VPN, you don't need any IT department, there are many free VPN out there for iphones and Androids and I had given you an example when I talked about open VPN. VPN is not only about remote desktoping. You can use it to avail yourself with some features or service blocked based on your location or use it to make a secure payment, watch movies and making Voips.
    There are many apps out there which are VPN clients and we have them on both iphones and Android and still they have it built in which can be setup without using client app. Try to read more about VPN, you would get my point, most people are on BIS not BES

I'm not on BES. I'm actually on BIS with Exchange Activesync. I do use it to allow myself access to services otherwise not available--access to research databases. I have two VPN services set up, both with Cisco ASA, under different X-AUTH PSK, in two different countries--in the US and in Canada. I use both for my research. Yeah, one of them I also use to remote to my desk, but that's not the only use. It also does secure my usage over the regular cellular service. I mean come on, this is Cisco IPSEC we're talking about, not some bull**** PPTP VPN connection.

Idk why you need an app for something that is already built into the system and is more secure than ever. Maybe you should call these service people and ask for your server settings.

Unless what you're really asking for is PPTP settings. Or L2TP. They can't help you there. Those are outdated 90s/early 2000s technology.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    09-03-14 01:13 PM
    also does secure my usage over the regular cellular service. I mean come on, this is Cisco IPSEC
    Unless what you're really asking for is PPTP settings. Or L2TP. They can't help you there. Those are outdated 90s/early 2000s technology.

Posted via CB10
    Can you simply link me to where I can get that latest tech for free because I know where I can get that outdated for fee for both iOS and Android though they are not available for BlackBerry?
    Please just a link, and don't tell me to ask any IT department because I didn't ask any IT to get that of iOS

09-03-14 01:26 PM
    Have you tried using the hola.org iphone VPN settings with BB? I don't own a current model, but it might work for you.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk
    09-03-14 03:49 PM
    I use unblockus. And I have also heard good things about hidemyass.
    09-03-14 06:26 PM
    Can you simply link me to where I can get that latest tech for free because I know where I can get that outdated for fee for both iOS and Android though they are not available for BlackBerry?
    Please just a link, and don't tell me to ask any IT department because I didn't ask any IT to get that of iOS

I think I understand the problem, you're using free vpns that only support the OpenVPN protocol, BlackBerry doesn't support that to be able to use a VPN on a BlackBerry10 device you're gonna need a VPN that supports IPSeC or IKEv2.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 07:15 PM
    I think I understand the problem, you're using free vpns that only support the OpenVPN protocol, BlackBerry doesn't support that to be able to use a VPN on a BlackBerry10 device you're gonna need a VPN that supports IPSeC or IKEv2.

Posted via CB10
    Did you read the first post? If you did then I'm not using free vpn I just want use free VPN on BlackBerry before I can pay for it if it's right for me and I had already done than on my iDevices.
    Someone has suggested pure vpn and I think they have nice service because they allow subscriber to simultaneously use 5 devices and blackberry is included.
    Currently I'm testing out VPNReactor because they offer 7 days free and I would decide later on whether to continue or break free.
    Thanks for anyone that has contributed.

Note: BlackBerry has consumer VPN built-in just as others though enterprise level protocols are more. It's just happened that most VPN providers are not supporting BlackBerry.

Thi Ha likes this.
    09-03-14 08:05 PM
    I use unblockus. And I have also heard good things about hidemyass.
    You said that you use unblockus, can you kindly post the screen shots of the setup or something like that.

Is there a free VPN for BB10 Devices?-img_20140904_041808.png

Is there a free VPN for BB10 Devices?-img_20140904_041822.png

And the last time I checked Hidemyass doesn't support BlackBerry.

09-03-14 08:26 PM
    Aside from fanboyism, this is a huge let down from Blackberry 10 team. I can agree with posts above that PPTP or L2TP are outdated, by why not support OpenVPN? (For tech savvies the tun and tap devices seem to be there so they only need to port the OpenVPN binary, so it's not a big deal).

I'm thinking of moving to other platforms (I'm forced to do that, I really like BB10).
    09-03-14 08:40 PM
    I am also looking for a free vpn service if there is any for my Q10. I need to unlock BlackBerry world because it's not available where I Iive and I cannot afford to pay for vpn subscription.

Please help me out if this can be achieved

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 10:58 PM
    Did you read the first post? If you did then I'm not using free vpn I just want use free VPN on BlackBerry before I can pay for it if it's right for me and I had already done than on my iDevices.
    Someone has suggested pure vpn and I think they have nice service because they allow subscriber to simultaneously use 5 devices and blackberry is included.
    Currently I'm testing out VPNReactor because they offer 7 days free and I would decide later on whether to continue or break free.
    Thanks for anyone that has contributed.

Note: BlackBerry has consumer VPN built-in just as others though enterprise level protocols are more. It's just happened that most VPN providers are not supporting BlackBerry.

I'll simplify my comment, you need to find a VPN that supports IKEv2 or IPSeC else you're out of luck, a VPN that uses the OpenVPN protocol won't work.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 11:09 PM
    I'll simplify my comment, you need to find a VPN that supports IKEv2 or IPSeC else you're out of luck, a VPN that uses the OpenVPN protocol won't work.

Posted via CB10
    I've already done that and posted screen shot of it above. You could have simply said before that there's no free vpn for BlackBerry

09-04-14 12:05 AM
    No dude he doesn't want to download an app he wants to set one up... a free one

I had one going but they shut it down. So there are ones out there
    09-04-14 12:12 AM
    As you know Z10 only support VPN with Microsoft IKEv2 and other common protocols like PPTP,L2TP,OpenVPN , etc are not supported. Thus, I doubt any free VPN provider offers such protocol to be compatible with Z10 Moreover, such Providers are more likely to log your activities and serve contextual ads while you're connected. They're also more likely to use your usage habits to tailor future ads to you, have fewer exit locations, and weak commitments to privacy so if logging and privacy are important to you, you may want to avoid them.
    The following visual tutorial could give you better idea of how does setting up a VPN on Z10 look like:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=JJJW-Ckt

Hope it could help.
    09-05-14 06:23 AM
    As you know Z10 only support VPN with Microsoft IKEv2

The following visual tutorial could give you better idea of how does setting up a VPN on Z10 look like:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=oyFaQD74

Hope it could help.
    If your response is directed to me, I have known what Z10 is capable of regarding VPN and currently I'm testing out VPNReactor for 7 days trial I had said that before but I don't know that you didn't read all comments.
    I can say that VPNREACTOR offer many vpn protocols and has servers at many locations. I would have tried pure vpn out but they don't offer free trial but for pricing I like them just $50 a year with 5 devices connected simultaneously.

09-05-14 08:52 AM

I am not on BES and can connect to our CICSO router to get VPN access to our network.
    ThunderShock2005 and mauro316 like this.
    09-05-14 09:08 AM
    It's completely lame (and even worrisome) that Blackberry doesn't support Open VPN. I want to be in charge of my phone security and they should allow me to be.

http://lifehacker.com/how-do-i-know-...rthy-508866499

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SethDove; 09-05-14 at 12:45 PM.
    jerobarraco likes this.
    09-05-14 11:29 AM
    I know it is not a direct solution to the problem but if there are just a few users or devices connecting, running Raspberry Pi (or any Linux) with strongSwan using IKEv2 may be a solution. There are a few tutorials online.
    SethDove likes this.
    09-05-14 09:07 PM
    I know it is not a direct solution to the problem but if there are just a few users or devices connecting, running Raspberry Pi (or any Linux) with strongSwan using IKEv2 may be a solution. There are a few tutorials online.
    There is also a tutorial elsewhere on how to set up IPSEC on an Amazon EC2 system. You can even use their Android app to turn the system on and off as you need it. So far I'm paying about 20 cents per month on top of my S3 charges. If you are a new Amazon customer, and you are careful about how you use it, it is free for a year.

Posted via CB10
    SethDove likes this.
    09-05-14 10:04 PM
43 12