It's completely lame (and even worrisome) that Blackberry doesn't support Open VPN. I want to be in charge of my phone security and they should allow me to be.

http://lifehacker.com/how-do-i-know-...rthy-508866499

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you on that, if PPTP, L2PT/IPSec aren't supported and SSTP is Microsoft creation what about open VPN, this is widely supported by desktop computers, iOS and android and it's more secured than aforementioned. What's rational behind not supporting it BBRY?

I can only find two VPN providers that support BlackBerry on IKEV2 protocol. If OpenVPN is there, the providers would be over 100.

Love my Z10 looking for its successor or go for Z30 when the price is right for me
    chihab222 likes this.
    09-08-14 04:27 PM
    Aside from fanboyism, this is a huge let down from Blackberry 10 team. I can agree with posts above that PPTP or L2TP are outdated, by why not support OpenVPN? (For tech savvies the tun and tap devices seem to be there so they only need to port the OpenVPN binary, so it's not a big deal).

I'm thinking of moving to other platforms (I'm forced to do that, I really like BB10).
    I've been using OpenVPN installed on a Raspberry Pi and as a work around for my Blackberry I have another Raspberry Pi configured as a OpenVPN/NAT Wireless Access Point (with 2 Wi-Fi adapters to allow me to use it even when I have no wired internet access) that I use when I'm on the road in hotels. It's been working great thus far but I bought it as something to mess with not as a workaround.

I looked at connecting to the corporate VPN but sadly the company I work for are phasing out BB support and don't even support BB10 due to something with unsupported authentication certificates. They are moving to iPhones, which is funny when you look at a side-by-side comparison done by the IT group and the BB provides more features and functionality. (As a side note the company has over 50k employees so that is a big chunk of business for BB to have loss)

Like you I may have to jump ship till I get the features I need, hard to be productive when I have to drag my laptop everywhere I go.
    09-09-14 09:21 PM
    I've been using OpenVPN installed on a Raspberry Pi and as a work around for my Blackberry I have another Raspberry Pi configured as a OpenVPN/NAT Wireless Access Point (with 2 Wi-Fi adapters to allow me to use it even when I have no wired internet access) that I use when I'm on the road in hotels. It's been working great thus far but I bought it as something to mess with not as a workaround.

I looked at connecting to the corporate VPN but sadly the company I work for are phasing out BB support and don't even support BB10 due to something with unsupported authentication certificates. They are moving to iPhones, which is funny when you look at a side-by-side comparison done by the IT group and the BB provides more features and functionality. (As a side note the company has over 50k employees so that is a big chunk of business for BB to have loss)

Like you I may have to jump ship till I get the features I need, hard to be productive when I have to drag my laptop everywhere I go.
    That's a nice workaround, mine was to turn my laptop into an access point , but I guess a Raspberry Pi is more convenient.

The thing that bothers me is that what I need most is to be able to use OpenVPN when I'm on the go using my mobile data connection.

And yes, it's a huge loss for BlackBerry, it's the little things like these that make a difference. Any rational person can not imagine well established businesses to change their whole Extranet setup just to switch to some productive mobile OS (read BB10). OpenVPN is a must for BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 03:49 PM
    That's a nice workaround, mine was to turn my laptop into an access point , but I guess a Raspberry Pi is more convenient.

The thing that bothers me is that what I need most is to be able to use OpenVPN when I'm on the go using my mobile data connection.

And yes, it's a huge loss for BlackBerry, it's the little things like these that make a difference. Any rational person can not imagine well established businesses to change their whole Extranet setup just to switch to some productive mobile OS (read BB10). OpenVPN is a must for BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    A well established business would is serious about connection via VPN would be using a CISCO router which BB10 supports.
    09-10-14 04:28 PM
    A well established business would is serious about connection via VPN would be using a CISCO router which BB10 supports.
    This.

The other thing is that IPSEC is much more efficient in use of energy and bandwidth in a mobile device.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    09-10-14 07:16 PM
    As I mention it was an authentication issue with BB10 devices (not VPN related). Cisco is being used but my take on the issue is if they can only support a platform partially when they have platform that can be fully supported, why bother.
    09-10-14 08:49 PM
    I'm not on BES. I'm actually on BIS with Exchange Activesync. I do use it to allow myself access to services otherwise not available--access to research databases. I have two VPN services set up, both with Cisco ASA, under different X-AUTH PSK, in two different countries--in the US and in Canada. I use both for my research. Yeah, one of them I also use to remote to my desk, but that's not the only use. It also does secure my usage over the regular cellular service. I mean come on, this is Cisco IPSEC we're talking about, not some bull**** PPTP VPN connection.

Idk why you need an app for something that is already built into the system and is more secure than ever. Maybe you should call these service people and ask for your server settings.

Unless what you're really asking for is PPTP settings. Or L2TP. They can't help you there. Those are outdated 90s/early 2000s technology.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have a guide for setting this up? I've been trying to setup IPSec with my sonicwall for a few weeks now. I'm BlackBerry log is of no help, I'm getting a "timeout" message on the BlackBerry when I try to establish a connection. I think one of the settings maybe incorrect. I have not seen any docs for what is needed on the BlackBerry. Googling yields very little. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 09:12 PM
    Like RedxD said, you will need to find a free VPN service that supports the ikev2 protocol. Most don't. They use open vpn and others which Blackberry does not support.

Instead of firing off angry quips you should first do a little research. Your question was answer many posts ago.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 09-10-14 at 11:45 PM.
    09-10-14 11:32 PM
    Is anyone seeing a timeout error when connecting to an IPSec ikev2 vpn?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 12:10 AM
    As I mention it was an authentication issue with BB10 devices (not VPN related). Cisco is being used but my take on the issue is if they can only support a platform partially when they have platform that can be fully supported, why bother.

The thread is about VPN and BB10.

BTW: I had no problems with authentication getting into our CISCO router.
    09-11-14 06:45 AM
    The thread is about VPN and BB10.

BTW: I had no problems with authentication getting into our CISCO router.
    Feel free to refer back to my original post regarding OpenVPN and why I'm not able to use my corporate VPN.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 07:23 AM
    Feel free to refer back to my original post regarding OpenVPN and why I'm not able to use my corporate VPN.
    Posted via CB10
    Doesn't sound like you actually know what you corporate VPN is actually doing. I am glad I don't work in your corporate environment.
    09-11-14 10:58 AM
    Doesn't sound like you actually know what you corporate VPN is actually doing. I am glad I don't work in your corporate environment.
    I do not, not my job. I'm more concerned that the safety system of the platform I'm working on stops it from blowing up and killing someone.

Posted via CB10
    jcsf123 likes this.
    09-11-14 06:28 PM
    i have the same problem.. vpn is very important to us
    01-20-15 12:50 PM
    here is my solution for VPN 1+year and still kicking ! Should work on any Linux powered machine !
    im happy my providers just put up speed 60/30
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...spbian-850976/
    01-21-15 07:03 PM
    Hide Me VPN got a free subscription with limited number of connections and 2GB data per month.
    It supports IKEv2 for BB.
    I'm using it for testing now on my Passport.
    05-25-15 11:43 AM
    I'm using Purevpn.
    Maaaaany different Servers for BlackBerry VPN and good Howtwos and customer Service.
    Using it for a long time and it's not expensive.

モーニング娘。15 ... my BlackBerryZ : Storm9500, Torch9860, Bold9900, Z10, Passport
    06-28-15 03:08 PM
    I have been trying to make use of a free VPN on my Z10 without a luck. I have hotspot shield subscription on my iphone, iPad and my wife iPhone I still use VPNbook via open VPN on my laptop which is compatible with iDevices but none of above mentioned is compatible with Blackberry.
    I downloaded many free VPN from Snap, they didn't work at all, why is so hard and complicated to get a simple thing done on blackberry? isn't VPN for security? Isn't Blackberry about security? Is there a simple solution for this paradox?

Love my Z10 looking for its successor or go for Z30 when the price is right for me
    https://hide.me/en/vpnsetup/blackber...UvbUpU13163233
    04-02-18 06:25 AM
43 12