This is a post that started a discussion in the Passport thread but appears to be an issue for all BlackBerry devices,both those running BB10 and apparently even more so for the android phones. As I never plan to own an android device I thought it best to post my question here, in the hope that it'll be seen by any BB10 users. I also figured it would be uncool to make an identical post in each of the BB10 device sections. I don't want to start a flame war over the topic itself but rather just wanted to see what options people with more technical knowledge might offer as a way to block the telemetry & keep some level of privacy. /blackberry-hub-plus-suite-f459/blackberry-diagnostics-telemetry-services-1128819/

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    12-01-17 04:25 AM
    Get a rooted android device (so not a blackberry) and rig it to connect it's hotspot via open VPN using iptables.

Then connect to that device's hotspot.

Boom! BB10 VPN that works with any provider!

Of course, if you for some reason want to behave sensibly, you can buy a keyone.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-17 07:24 AM
    Funnily enough, last week I've just ran into needing a VPN for working away and have NordVPN setup on my Passport (and surprisingly Playbook!). No software or apps to install, just tap the settings into the VPN part of 'Network and Connections'

The tutorial to set up on BB10 has a mistake: Gateway Auth Type has to be PKI. Other than that, it works without a hitch and I can heartely recommend them.

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    12-01-17 11:14 AM
    What did you do to get NordVPN on Playbook? I wanted to do the same with my Playbook but couldn't see how to import the "root.pem" certificate. I am running NordVPN on my PPSE and Z10 without any problems, and it seems very fast on both of these devices.
    12-02-17 10:24 AM
    To import the certificate on the Playbook you have to plug it into a computer via USB and put the file into the certificates folder. Then, back on the Playbook you import it.

I followed this and it works like a treat! Read this and you'll have the certificate imported in about 5 minutes max!
    http://www.blackberryos.com/playbook...-playbook.html

The PB doesn't auto conennct like BB10, but the settings to use are the same

Posted via CB10
    12-03-17 02:46 PM
    Get a rooted android device (so not a blackberry) and rig it to connect it's hotspot via open VPN using iptables.

Then connect to that device's hotspot.

Boom! BB10 VPN that works with any provider!

Of course, if you for some reason want to behave sensibly, you can buy a keyone.

Posted via CB10
    I hate to tell you, but I disagree with your premise of it being more "sensible" to switch from the BB10 that does everything that I want it to do, and is much more intuitive and smoother at multitasking and switch to an OS that tells you on the 1st page of TOS that they effectively own you are all your data, can read, modify or delete any file on your device without telling you and even use the camera or microphone to send them anywhere (as they put in all caps) EVEN IF IT COSTS YOU MONEY then I think it must be you who isn't sensible...
    I have looked at Nord for the VPN part. The issue is more that I haven't ever seen a firewall app for any BlackBerry, much less BB10. I know that on PC, there are some firewall programs that won't play nicely with VPN or antivirus programs. That's why I specified both. After the threads came out showing that BlackBerry was turning on the telemetry & diagnostics on phones that users had thought was switched off I decided to look for a firewall to block the data transfers instead of just using a VPN. Otherwise I continue to be very pleased with my Q10 so feel no need to consider any other OS just because they offer games or social media apps that don't interest me in the slightest. I use the Q10 as the great business & personal life tool that helps to keep my life organized. I don't need anything else, and if it works, why mess with it?

12-03-17 04:49 PM
    I hate to tell you, but I disagree with your premise of it being more "sensible" to switch from the BB10 that does everything that I want it to do, and is much more intuitive and smoother at multitasking and switch to an OS that tells you on the 1st page of TOS that they effectively own you are all your data, can read, modify or delete any file on your device without telling you and even use the camera or microphone to send them anywhere (as they put in all caps) EVEN IF IT COSTS YOU MONEY then I think it must be you who isn't sensible...
    I have looked at Nord for the VPN part. The issue is more that I haven't ever seen a firewall app for any BlackBerry, much less BB10. I know that on PC, there are some firewall programs that won't play nicely with VPN or antivirus programs. That's why I specified both. After the threads came out showing that BlackBerry was turning on the telemetry & diagnostics on phones that users had thought was switched off I decided to look for a firewall to block the data transfers instead of just using a VPN. Otherwise I continue to be very pleased with my Q10 so feel no need to consider any other OS just because they offer games or social media apps that don't interest me in the slightest. I use the Q10 as the great business & personal life tool that helps to keep my life organized. I don't need anything else, and if it works, why mess with it?

I sense . . . Insecurity.
    12-03-17 06:21 PM
    To import the certificate on the Playbook you have to plug it into a computer via USB and put the file into the certificates folder. Then, back on the Playbook you import it.

I followed this and it works like a treat! Read this and you'll have the certificate imported in about 5 minutes max!
    How to import security certificates on the BlackBerry PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    thanks -- will try it in the next day or so.
    12-03-17 08:19 PM

How to import security certificates on the BlackBerry PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    It works! Now I have NordVPN on my Playbook, as well as on my PPSE and Z10! Many thanks for the insight.
    12-04-17 06:01 PM
    You're welcome!

Posted via CB10
    12-04-17 07:44 PM
    LSDBerry, it's not insecurity to be irritated with all of the different ways that these companies are making money off of my privacy without my getting anything in return! Just because they want it isn't a very good reason for me to help make it easier for them to gather as much information as possible. Especially when it mostly comes back to bite me in the butt in the forms of spam or totally unwanted barrages of ads trying to sell me crap I don't want or need! In any sensible business arrangement both parties benefit. Since all I get is aggravation I'd say that they're all just extremely aggressive parasites. Frankly I don't think that I should be forced to expend extra effort just to be left alone & have some privacy. That's actually one of the reasons why I like my BB10 powered Q10. None of the apps on my phone are allowed to access anything. No, it's not NSA or CIA level privacy but it at least lets me avoid the bulk of the parasites.

erguduju likes this.
    12-05-17 10:20 AM
    I managed to get ProtonVPN Ca certs to work on my passport. It's essentially the same setup as on Linux. I also agree that BB10 still has value even going into 2018. I will never trust a Google product for as long as I live! Although once BB10 stops releasing security patches I'm going to have to learn how carrier pidgeons work......
    12-08-17 12:35 AM
    an OS that tells you on the 1st page of TOS that they effectively own you are all your data, can read, modify or delete any file on your device without telling you and even use the camera or microphone to send them anywhere (as they put in all caps) EVEN IF IT COSTS YOU MONEY then I think it must be you who isn't sensible...
    So, you were reading the BB TOS? Because BB's TOS says all of that too. So does Apple's, and so does Microsoft's. You should read them sometime...
    12-08-17 11:41 PM
    BlackBerry TOS doesn't go nearly as far up the rectum of every user compared to scroogle. Very frustrating, I'm almost to the point of just getting a flip phone! I'm pretty sick of every one of the 100+ parasites that try to put various tracking on every device possible.

12-12-17 02:30 AM
    It works! Now I have NordVPN on my Playbook, as well as on my PPSE and Z10! Many thanks for the insight.
    Hey, I'm looking at getting Nord VPN for my Classic. Will I need to go as far as the example above for PlayBook? Also I was planning on using it with a Windows 7 64 bit PC & sharing the remaining user slots with wife for her Priv + her windows 10 PC. Anyone here who's tried this that can offer their take on ease of use & how much speed reduction they have to deal with? Thanks!

01-06-18 10:40 AM
    Hey, I'm looking at getting Nord VPN for my Classic. Will I need to go as far as the example above for PlayBook? Also I was planning on using it with a Windows 7 64 bit PC & sharing the remaining user slots with wife for her Priv + her windows 10 PC. Anyone here who's tried this that can offer their take on ease of use & how much speed reduction they have to deal with? Thanks!

I use NordVPN on my Win7 64-bit laptop, but I use the Win7 app downloaded from the NordVPN site. Easy to use and gives you additional options not otherwise available. Using the app I have little speed reduction USUALLY, but that may be because mostly I use US or Canada servers and I am in US. I find some speed reduction when logging-in to my Amazon account, but after the login the speed is not noticeably affected. By using the app there are options to select servers that are closer to you, have less activity, use double encryption, pick a particular country, etc. etc. etc. There is also an app for Win10 that your wife could use on her Win10 PC, but I haven't tried it since I only use Win7. I don't have any personal experience with the Classic or Priv, as I don't have these, so I can't comment on them.
    01-06-18 11:04 AM

What do you mean by "go as far as the example above for the Playbook"?

For your Classic, The settings are the same, they need to be done manually. It's easy, don't worry. You can select a few servers, save them and switch between them as usual.

I use the Windows 10 program and it works no both. That is simple to use, nothing to set up.

I'm happy with the speed and am managing to stream Amazon from the UK in the middle east in HD on a big TV.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-18 12:31 PM
    I guess that it seems difficult to me because I've never had to find the right input I need to put in any of the manual settings I see people mention. I guess I need to find some kind of primer on how it's done.

01-07-18 08:39 PM
    I can help you. Reply on here when you've got the subscription and I'll send screenshots of my settings. Copy them, changing the user name and server address.

You can save as many VPN connections as you like as presets. For example, I have entries for UK, NL, USA and Canada. I just click on them when I want to change.

The BB10 system also has auto connect which works very well. It also allows you to specify which VPN to use with a saved WiFi connection. E.g. When I am in the Middle East, the router I use there has the UK preset selected.

For each server, the settings are the same, the only variable is the server address you want (from Nord VPN website or the app).

P.S. There is a setup page on the NordVPN website for BB10, but it has one error in it, making it not work!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-18 11:52 PM
    James,
    Thank you very much! This is the best part of CB, where users actually offer useful assistance to each other! This sounds like some concrete, usable information that precisely helps me, and I truly appreciate your help!

01-08-18 10:33 PM
    No problem mate. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I've gotten so much help from CB members with my BlackBerrys over the years, it's only right to give back.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-18 10:48 PM
    Got a new Z10 today. Had VPN set up in 5 minutes!

Posted via CB10
    01-17-18 02:35 PM
    Which VPN did you choose? Has it slowed your internet speeds much? Or had you never used DSLreports.com or other speed test sites for a baseline?

01-17-18 03:16 PM
    Still with NordVPN. Not sure if speed has dropped in any way that I've noticed
    01-17-18 05:41 PM
    Thanks for the confirmation, just figured I'd see if you changed your opinion on them. Did you get the yearly rate deal, longer or shorter? Multiple articles say to try 1st but the rates are so much better if I got at least a year... trying to decide if it's better to pay a much higher rate for a short period while I try learning to use it.

01-18-18 10:22 AM
46 12