The prize has already been won.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    Yes I know. I was late to the competition, although I wouldn't have won anyway. I just focused on the "title" and did not pay attention to the rest....so, while the title does refer to a lovely Chris Rea song, the answer was not the correct one, it seems. Next time!
    01-11-20 10:56 AM
    But I also don't think there is much chance of it either. If Samsung really needed BlackBerry for something so "key" to their business, they'd have bought the whole company long ago.

Maybe one part QNX, one part BlackBerry, one part Good, one part Secusmart, one part Encription, one part Cylance along with about five part luck.... will equal a magical IoT solution that can't be ignored. But it won't change the fact that BB10 is worthless as a product, and that BlackBerry is out of the smartphone business.
    I think the amount of attention required of Samsung is vastly over estimated. It is a project that may work as part of the partnership with Univ. of Waterloo.

It's possible most of the development can be done with a rootable device with signing of the autoloader as last steps.
    01-11-20 01:28 PM
    I think we need to give this a rest folks. DonHB will start over again in a few months from the very beginning as if we've never had this discussion before 3 or 4 times already. Nothing anyone says to him matters in the least.

Oct 28, 2017: "I wonder what would have happened if Neutrino based BB10 had used the Android SDK to implement Flow? Would more developers been interested in supporting the platform? Would it be possible to have binary compatibility with Android, but with the Flow UX"

Dec 28, 2017: "Returning to BlackBerry rewarding customer loyalty (and "assuming there are personnel to do it"), would anyone be interested in buying a BB10 autoloader from BlackBerry for either the Motion, Keyone or next gen product from TCL? How much would you be willing to pay? If this would be be offered toward the end of the product cycle to clear inventory would you still be interested and what would you pay in that case?"

June 28, 2018: "This is about producing an autoloader for installation on a partner device and being able to use an Android security update to return it to its out-of-box state for warranty service, etc. No inventory reduces costs tremendously."
    Jan 8, 2018: "In this scenario BlackBerry would pick a device from an Android licensee partner for which to create an autoloader (people wanting BB10 would buy this Android device). No manufacturing changes would be required and no additional inventory costs would be created. BlackBerry would remain a software company that happens to make hardware--just not handsets. Finally, the recent partnership between QNX and Qualcomm could reduce the cost of drivers."

Jan 12, 2018: "I have been wishing for a BB10 autoloader for a device which runs on a handset from a BlackBerry Android licensee. Both BB10 and BlackBerry's Android OS implement hardware root of trust. While the Android device may not be able to load BB10 that is installed by an autoloader because the key(s) may be owned by each manufacturer instead of BlackBerry, having the OS actually run is an issue of compatibility."

June 6, 2018: "This is about producing an autoloader for installation on a partner device and being able to use an Android security update to return it to its out-of-box state for warranty service, etc. No inventory reduces costs tremendously."
    Last edited by conite; 01-11-20 at 02:02 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-11-20 01:33 PM
    Well, maybe people here are ready to answer the question?
    01-11-20 01:53 PM
    Perhaps, a thread where this is the OP?
    01-11-20 01:54 PM
    Well, maybe people here are ready to answer the question?
    I think it has been answered.
    01-11-20 02:02 PM
    Go ahead. The answers won't change there though.
    01-11-20 02:05 PM
    Go ahead. The (lack of) answers won't change there though.
    Fixed that for EVERYBODY that reads this.
    01-11-20 05:48 PM
    Fixed that for EVERYBODY that reads this.
    Maybe, the moderator will put back TrumpetTiger's entry?
    01-11-20 08:12 PM
    Maybe, the moderator will put back TrumpetTiger's entry?
    What ?!?
    01-11-20 08:42 PM
    What ?!?
    I guess I should ask john_v...
    01-11-20 09:37 PM
    I guess I should ask john_v...
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Not a good idea to discuss violation of CB rules and terms of service.

If you ever have questions, contact a moderator via PM regarding any questions you have.
    01-11-20 10:39 PM
    PSA for anyone not aware: posts deleted in thread cleanups stay deleted.

And now back to our show.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-11-20 11:32 PM
    I think this has been suggested several times in this thread, why don't you go ahead and do so, this is your baby I don't think anyone else is going to start a new thread about it.

I for one would be interested in the responses from people, the trouble with hijacking other threads is that people who are interested in what you are saying may not stumble across something deep within an unrelated thread.

01-12-20 05:17 AM
    I think this has been suggested several times in this thread, why don't you go ahead and do so, this is your baby I don't think anyone else is going to start a new thread about it.

I for one would be interested in the responses from people, the trouble with hijacking other threads is that people who are interested in what you are saying may not stumble across something deep within an unrelated thread.

Development becomes more interesting, if new devices capable of running BB10 become available.
    01-12-20 01:14 PM
    Development becomes more interesting, if new devices capable of running BB10 become available.
    With old hardware no one uses?
    01-12-20 01:29 PM
    But there aren’t nor will there be anymore BB10 devices until you create some BB10 demand. Use what you have available.
    01-12-20 01:31 PM
    Of course. And if there is a reasonable chance that more than 5% of the market will buy it. OR if it at least allows us to build something that we can’t build on iOS or Android already.

I haven’t done app development in years but I’d get back into it on weekends if there was a platform that let me do something I haven’t already done. That would be fun. It’s why I got into iPhone dev so eagerly in 2008 before they had sold many phones at all.
    01-12-20 03:54 PM
    With old hardware no one uses?
    How about a root-of-trust Samsung device with a new BB10 autoloader? If you need service or wish to return your device you reload the current version of Samsung's Android. So, from the device with autoloader owners' perspective Samsung would not be involved in supporting BB10. If BlackBerry Mobile releases an update to Motion that would work similarly. The problem with the Key2 is that the screen ratio does not match any existing BB10 device. Making UI changes to utilize extra screen real estate is beyond the scope of what I have in mind. However, if BlackBerry Mobile is working on a Priv 2 a PKB may be possible.

The idea is a very minimalist approach for the initial release. It is intended as foundational. Essentially replacing the underlying OS with the 64-bit QNX 7 to allow full use of RAM and the possibility of a 64-bit version of Android Pie or newer. This would allow underlying system functions and fixes to track with the currently supported OS. There would be an update to the native browser with no UX changes. The development tools, following in the minimalist approach, would remain as is at 32-bit as would native apps, but Android would be modernized and become gesture based. Cascades has been deprecated and should be supported until a replacement is found. Maybe, something with which QNX will replace Qt, but is no more propretary.

The target for the initial release are people still using BB10, BBOS and those who value privacy. The goal is wait with an official roadmap, until the initial release is in customers' hands. If BlackBerry brings back BBM channels it would be an ideal means to connect with customers for direction on the roadmap. Customer facing support would remain as is, relying on the very helpful people on CrackBerry.
    Last edited by DonHB; 01-13-20 at 12:37 PM.
    01-13-20 11:52 AM
    I think we need to give this a rest folks. DonHB will start over again in a few months from the very beginning as if we've never had this discussion before 3 or 4 times already. Nothing anyone says to him matters in the least.

Oct 28, 2017: "I wonder what would have happened if Neutrino based BB10 had used the Android SDK to implement Flow? Would more developers been interested in supporting the platform? Would it be possible to have binary compatibility with Android, but with the Flow UX"

Dec 28, 2017: "Returning to BlackBerry rewarding customer loyalty (and "assuming there are personnel to do it"), would anyone be interested in buying a BB10 autoloader from BlackBerry for either the Motion, Keyone or next gen product from TCL? How much would you be willing to pay? If this would be be offered toward the end of the product cycle to clear inventory would you still be interested and what would you pay in that case?"

June 28, 2018: "This is about producing an autoloader for installation on a partner device and being able to use an Android security update to return it to its out-of-box state for warranty service, etc. No inventory reduces costs tremendously."
    Jan 8, 2018: "In this scenario BlackBerry would pick a device from an Android licensee partner for which to create an autoloader (people wanting BB10 would buy this Android device). No manufacturing changes would be required and no additional inventory costs would be created. BlackBerry would remain a software company that happens to make hardware--just not handsets. Finally, the recent partnership between QNX and Qualcomm could reduce the cost of drivers."

Jan 12, 2018: "I have been wishing for a BB10 autoloader for a device which runs on a handset from a BlackBerry Android licensee. Both BB10 and BlackBerry's Android OS implement hardware root of trust. While the Android device may not be able to load BB10 that is installed by an autoloader because the key(s) may be owned by each manufacturer instead of BlackBerry, having the OS actually run is an issue of compatibility."

June 6, 2018: "This is about producing an autoloader for installation on a partner device and being able to use an Android security update to return it to its out-of-box state for warranty service, etc. No inventory reduces costs tremendously."
    How about a root-of-trust Samsung device with a new BB10 autoloader? If you need service or wish to return your device you reload the current version of Samsung's Android. So, from the device with autoloader owners' perspective Samsung would not be involved in supporting BB10. If BlackBerry Mobile releases an update to Motion that would work similarly. The problem with the Key2 is that the screen ratio does not match any existing BB10 device. Making UI changes to utilize extra screen real estate is beyond the scope of what I have in mind. However, if BlackBerry Mobile is working on a Priv 2 a PKB may be possible.

The idea is a very minimalist approach for the initial release. It is intended as foundational. Essentially replacing the underlying OS with the 64-bit QNX 7 to allow full use of RAM and the possibility of a 64-bit version of Android Pie or newer. This would allow underlying system functions and fixes to track with the currently supported OS. There would be an update to the native browser with no UX changes. The development tools, following in the minimalist approach, would remain as is at 32-bit as would native apps, but Android would be modernized and become gesture based. Cascades has been deprecated and should be supported until a replacement is found. Maybe, something with which QNX will replace Qt, but is no more propretary.

The target for the initial release are people still using BB10, BBOS and those who value privacy. The goal is wait with an official roadmap, until the initial release is in customers' hands. If BlackBerry brings back BBM channels it would be an ideal means to connect with customers for direction on the roadmap. Customer facing support would remain as is, relying on the very helpful people on CrackBerry.
    See?
    01-13-20 12:42 PM

What phone do you currently use?
    01-13-20 12:44 PM
    What phone do you currently use?
    Passport.

I am ready to forego the PKB for a device running BB10 with a modern native browser, 6GB of RAM and a modern Android VM that supports all the processors in my device.
    01-13-20 12:45 PM
    Passport.
    What’s just not appreciate, pontificate and enjoy about your Passport now? There’s a whole thread of people extolling the virtues of using the Passport in 2020 and happy...
    So just continue to use it until it’s dead.

There’s nobody that’s going to resuscitate BB10 as there’s simply no viable business case for it.
    01-13-20 12:50 PM
    What’s just not appreciate, pontificate and enjoy about your Passport now? There’s a whole thread of people extolling the virtues of using the Passport in 2020 and happy...
    So just continue to use it until it’s dead.

There’s nobody that’s going to resuscitate BB10 as there’s simply no viable business case for it.
    So, as you have been saying since I have raised the question.

I suppose you expect to deflate interest from others by claiming this?
    01-13-20 12:53 PM
    So, as you have been saying since I have raised the question.

I suppose you expect to deflate interest from others by claiming this?
    With such a great idea regarding such a well supported OS as BB10 was originally, surely you are giving me too much credit
    01-13-20 01:00 PM
402 ... 1213141516 ...