Hello Canadians,

I love thee and thy carriers for updates.

But I was led to believe Rogers tends to be a good SIM card to buy for US folks that always want the latest and greatest. Yet, Telus has released their 2xxx update to the initial 10.1 upgrade while Rogers is, to my best knowledge, still on the initial 10.1 release of .273.

Perhaps this is an edge scenario or a fluke or maybe there is a good reason...

But I'm leaning towards shifting the recommendation for US folks that want the latest without taking the lead route to getting a Telus SIM that is unprovisioned, rather than a Rogers one.

Any objections or something I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    06-26-13 01:40 AM
    You realize that's not the OS number right but rather the software version number? The OS is 10.1.0.2050 and it contains carrier specific updates so installing it on your device isn't really going to help your situation much... unless of course you're travelling to Canada and plan on using TELUS/Koodo while here lol. By all technical stand points, you'd be better off just installing one of the full Z10 autoloaders, like .2342 or .2354 if you're REALLY hankering for a new OS. You're basically spending money on a SIM card for pretty much no purpose at all because you're not really getting ahead in any sort way, at least not at this point, where you already have .2025.
    schmeat likes this.
    06-26-13 02:39 AM
    You realize that's not the OS number right but rather the software version number? The OS is 10.1.0.2050 and it contains carrier specific updates so installing it on your device isn't really going to help your situation much... unless of course you're travelling to Canada and plan on using TELUS/Koodo while here lol. By all technical stand points, you'd be better off just installing one of the full Z10 autoloaders, like .2342 or .2354 if you're REALLY hankering for a new OS. You're basically spending money on a SIM card for pretty much no purpose at all because you're not really getting ahead in any sort way, at least not at this point, where you already have .2025.
    But I used Rogers' 10.1 before Tmo released their's for like a month and it worked beautifully...in fact, many people do this which I presume you are aware...and how is that not getting me ahead? You've lost me there. I used a Rogers SIM to get 10.1 more than a month before USA did, and now I want to use them or another carrier again to gain access to a 2050 or later version of 10.1 again long before USA carriers get it out.

I'm not convinced loading a Canadian release does anything considerably negative regarding the radio file, if that's what you are concerned about. My network coverage worked seemingly identical to how it works now on Tmo official. (Not even sure I see a difference between now and original OS I had when I bought the Z10!)

And I consider loading an OS release that another carrier has approved before your own carrier MUCH SAFER and simpler to do than loading leaked builds, though I recommend sticking to Canadian carrier builds just to play it safe since we use similar network bands and practices.

Unless there is a misunderstanding, I really do not feel what you wrote is accurate. Definitely more than a few USA folks here have utilized Canadian SIMs to gain access to official releases ahead of their own slow US carriers' official release.

Lastly, the reason I would possibly be interested in version 2050 is, despite the fact that T-Mobile's 2025 has fixed my self-reboot issue, according to BlackBerry documentation, 2050 and above contains the definite fix(es).

I would probably leave 2025 on one of my Z10s and load 2050 on another.

06-26-13 03:53 AM
    But I used Rogers' 10.1 before Tmo released their's for like a month and it worked beautifully...in fact, many people do this which I presume you are aware...and how is that not getting me ahead? You've lost me there. I used a Rogers SIM to get 10.1 more than a month before USA did, and now I want to use them or another carrier again to gain access to a 2050 or later version of 10.1 again long before USA carriers get it out.

I'm not convinced loading a Canadian release does anything considerably negative regarding the radio file, if that's what you are concerned about. My network coverage worked seemingly identical to how it works now on Tmo official. (Not even sure I see a difference between now and original OS I had when I bought the Z10!)

And I consider loading an OS release that another carrier has approved before your own carrier MUCH SAFER and simpler to do than loading leaked builds, though I recommend sticking to Canadian carrier builds just to play it safe since we use similar network bands and practices.

Unless there is a misunderstanding, I really do not feel what you wrote is accurate. Definitely more than a few USA folks here have utilized Canadian SIMs to gain access to official releases ahead of their own slow US carriers' official release.

Lastly, the reason I would possibly be interested in version 2050 is, despite the fact that T-Mobile's 2025 has fixed my self-reboot issue, according to BlackBerry documentation, 2050 and above contains the definite fix(es).

I would probably leave 2025 on one of my Z10s and load 2050 on another.

I think the point that Bla!ze is trying to make is that using the "insert Canadian Sim card" method of getting an update is one way of jumping the delay caused by tardy U.S. carriers, but it is not he only, nor, perhaps, the best way. It involves the expense, albeit fairly minor of purchasing a Sim card and you only get to upgrade to a version of the software that is already a little dated.

The other option is to load one of the leaks available here. It is free and gets you much more current version of the OS. You don't have to go bleeding edge, such as the 10.2 leaks that are out there, there are some well tried and tested 10.1 leaks, such as .2354 that Bla1ze referred to or the 2062 that lbfe just made available.
    06-26-13 06:45 AM
    Ok...I disagree personally, but either way that's not the purpose of this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to hopefully get a consensus among Canadians on whether Telus often pushes updates before Rogers, and if Rogers is really a good option to go to for updates.

jrdba likes this.
    06-26-13 07:20 AM
    I actually don't see rogers pushing the updates first. Telus always pushes the OS or software at the same time. Now the last update with rogers was a little funky because a lot of people couldn't update because of some error, but at the same time Telus pushed theirs and everything went fine for me. I'm with Telus and my wife is with Rogers and we usually see the update at the same time. That being said, I don't think that either is faster. I guess it boils down to personal preference.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:26 AM
    I actually don't see rogers pushing the updates first. Telus always pushes the OS or software at the same time. Now the last update with rogers was a little funky because a lot of people couldn't update because of some error, but at the same time Telus pushed theirs and everything went fine for me. I'm with Telus and my wife is with Rogers and we usually see the update at the same time. That being said, I don't think that either is faster. I guess it boils down to personal preference.

Posted via CB10
    That last update with Rogers was actually not pushed out by Rogers. It was a 1mb update with the same OS number that was pushed out more than a month ago. For most people it was getting an error and when they called Rogers, they hadn't known about it. The way to get rid of it is to delete the Rogers anyplace TV live app.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 10:14 AM
    I agree that telus has been much better at sending out updates. My friends who are with Rogers are still scratching their heads.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    06-26-13 10:22 AM
    Other than carrier specific utilities or apps I was not aware of any practical difference in the updates. They are all 10.1 stream and they all happen within days of each other.

Rogers has a longer standing relationship with BlackBerry and have done more exclusives with them in the past. (NFC eWallets with CIBC, coloured devices, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 10:28 AM
    I agree that telus has been much better at sending out updates. My friends who are with Rogers are still scratching their heads.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    I'm with Rogers...what am I scratching my head about? Does Telus have a functional version we or Bell users don't have other than carrier specific apps?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 10:30 AM
    I'm on Rogers and it says I have the latest OS Version as 10.1.0.1720
    06-26-13 10:31 AM
    I'm with Rogers...what am I scratching my head about? Does Telus have a functional version we or Bell users don't have other than carrier specific apps?

Posted via CB10
    Yes...2014 which is version 2050 solves the reboots...and DON'T tell me it is not affecting Rogers customers...I've seen more than a few on here reporting they can't wait until Rogers releases what Telus has.

So despite the fact that it sounds like usually Rogers, Telus, and Bell release updates at similar times, Rogers and Bell are lagging this time.

Never thought I'd say this about a Canadian carrier, but HURRY UP! T-Mobile USA has a 2xxx stable build of 10.1, granted you actually released the initial 10.1 on time, but still...

06-26-13 10:39 AM
    Yes...2014 which is version 2050 solves the reboots...and DON'T tell me it is not affecting Rogers customers...I've seen more than a few on here reporting they can't wait until Rogers releases what Telus has.

So despite the fact that it sounds like usually Rogers, Telus, and Bell release updates at similar times, Rogers and Bell are lagging this time.

Never thought I'd say this about a Canadian carrier, but HURRY UP! T-Mobile USA has a 2xxx stable build of 10.1, granted you actually released the initial 10.1 on time, but still...

Hmmm interesting. I'm running OS 10.1.0.1720 and honestly have never had my Z10 reboot randomly.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 12:01 PM
    Hmmm interesting. I'm running OS 10.1.0.1720 and honestly have never had my Z10 reboot randomly.

Posted via CB10
    But it can happen and has for some.

There are other minor bugs with .1720 (273) that need be fixed to.

Come on Rogers.

06-26-13 12:10 PM
    Identifying the source of the random reboots is pretty difficult, saying that this update telus has that Rogers doesn't fixes it is a bit of a stretch. I've heard that the update is mostly for carrier purposes. I may be wrong though.

However with the exception of the current update, I'm on Rogers and they've been at the forefront of giving updates. I remember Rogers was the first to give out the very first Z10 updates, while Bell was the last... But it's still too early to say telus is better unless this recent update is as significant as you're making it out to be.
    06-26-13 12:16 PM
    Identifying the source of the random reboots is pretty difficult, saying that this update telus has that Rogers doesn't fixes it is a bit of a stretch. I've heard that the update is mostly for carrier purposes. I may be wrong though.

However with the exception of the current update, I'm on Rogers and they've been at the forefront of giving updates. I remember Rogers was the first to give out the very first Z10 updates, while Bell was the last... But it's still too early to say telus is better unless this recent update is as significant as you're making it out to be.
    BlackBerry has released official statement thru knowledge base that 2050 software version (not release #) and beyond fixes it.

06-26-13 02:37 PM
    I'm on Rogers and have had random reboots. It does happen.

Posted via CB10
    STV0726 likes this.
    06-27-13 10:05 AM
    BlackBerry has released official statement thru knowledge base that 2050 software version (not release #) and beyond fixes it.

Well you seem to have your mind made up.
    06-27-13 03:17 PM
    Well you seem to have your mind made up.
    Is that an insult? Lol

I would say I'm pretty convinced based on my own quasi-experimental data gathered which I have just posted elsewhere, the plentiful anecdotal reports from power users who installed leaks, and data compiled by Omnitech.

The random reboots are fixed for the vast majority on OS versions I would say 2025-2050 and up.

You "seem to have your mind made up" that I'm pulling this out of thin air, so I encourage you do to some searching yourself on here.

06-27-13 03:26 PM