MobileSyrup: Telus reminds BB10 BlackBerry users that network connectivity ends Jan. 4, 2022.
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/10/08/t...ds-jan-4-2022/

Is there anything new or confirmed?
    Will our bb10 device still be an email and text message beast?
    10-09-21 02:03 AM
    "The most important thing to take away here is that your uncle, who insists BlackBerry is a Canadian company that makes stellar devices, will probably need to buy a modern smartphone manufactured in the last five years."

LOLOLOLOL. However wrote this article, I love them!
    10-09-21 04:20 AM
    Another misleading article in my opinion, unless like I said earlier the wording from BlackBerry has actually changed in the last several weeks, or BlackBerry is actually telling the carriers something different than what they are telling the public.

The article says: "....that the former Canadian smartphone giant will be “turning these devices down” on January 4th, 2022..."

From what I remember (maybe it changed), BlackBerry said (paraphrasing): - OTA updates will no longer be possible; - a bunch of BlackBerry side services will be shut down; - the devices will no longer be reliable for voice, data, text, etc...

The last point is interesting in my opinion, because there doesn't seem to be anything communicated from either BlackBerry or any carriers as to just what it is that might actually change in Jan2022 that would contribute to or impact different reliability for the devices being able to be used for voice, data, text.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that anyone should continue to rely on these devices.
    10-09-21 08:35 AM
    I am experiencing issues with MMS....specifically picture messages sent to me on my Q10 on Fido/Rogers (Canada) they take days to arrive, and sometimes only arrive after I reboot.

so once every couple of days I reboot to see some missed messages and voice mail notifications.

sigh
    10-09-21 11:10 AM
    Another misleading article in my opinion, unless like I said earlier the wording from BlackBerry has actually changed in the last several weeks, or BlackBerry is actually telling the carriers something different than what they are telling the public.

The article says: "....that the former Canadian smartphone giant will be “turning these devices down” on January 4th, 2022..."

From what I remember (maybe it changed), BlackBerry said (paraphrasing): - OTA updates will no longer be possible; - a bunch of BlackBerry side services will be shut down; - the devices will no longer be reliable for voice, data, text, etc...

The last point is interesting in my opinion, because there doesn't seem to be anything communicated from either BlackBerry or any carriers as to just what it is that might actually change in Jan2022 that would contribute to or impact different reliability for the devices being able to be used for voice, data, text.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that anyone should continue to rely on these devices.
    Official BlackBerry statement:

"On January 4, 2022, devices running on these service offerings will no longer reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality."

The Telus tweet specifically references BBOS - not BB10. The shutdown of BIS is effectively lights out for BBOS.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-09-21 11:55 AM
    Official BlackBerry statement:

"On January 4, 2022, devices running on these service offerings will no longer reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality."

The Telus tweet specifically references BBOS - not BB10. The shutdown of BIS is effectively lights out for BBOS.
    Yes, I thought I paraphrased that part of what BlackBerry said. Sorry if I may have misrepresented it.

For BB10, the statement seems fair to me for BlackBerry to make. However, there still doesn't seem to be any explanation or statement from anyone as to why BB10 devices will actually be any less reliable for voice, data, sms and 911 after 4Jan2022, in comparison to before 4Jan2022, and everything else BlackBerry has thus far publicly stated about what they are changing as of 4Jan2022 seems to suggest there will be no change to that reliablilty (unless there is something else not being stated or not yet generally known).

The net result is the same. That is: "...stop using BB10 if you don't want to find yourself hanging". However, all the current statements and assumptions still don't yet fully add up.
    10-09-21 01:16 PM
    Yes, I thought I paraphrased that part of what BlackBerry said. Sorry if I may have misrepresented it.

For BB10, the statement seems fair to me for BlackBerry to make. However, there still doesn't seem to be any explanation or statement from anyone as to why BB10 devices will actually be any less reliable for voice, data, sms and 911 after 4Jan2022, in comparison to before 4Jan2022, and everything else BlackBerry has thus far publicly stated about what they are changing as of 4Jan2022 seems to suggest there will be no change to that reliablilty (unless there is something else not being stated or not yet generally known).

The net result is the same. That is: "...stop using BB10 if you don't want to find yourself hanging". However, all the current statements and assumptions still don't yet fully add up.
    I think at some point, BlackBerry really wants it understood, it doesn't want to be negatively associated with the failed mobile division anymore.
    10-09-21 03:06 PM
    I think at some point, BlackBerry really wants it understood, it doesn't want to be negatively associated with the failed mobile division anymore.
    And therefore I hope they will stick to their shutdown date this time and actually do it.
    10-09-21 03:09 PM
    And therefore I hope they will stick to their shutdown date this time and actually do it.
    They actually haven't announced shutting down, only warning that the devices won't be reliable anymore (which in some respects might not be much different than the state of things as of today).

There is a chance you will be disappointed and the pain will continue.....
    10-09-21 05:00 PM
    They actually haven't announced shutting down, only warning that the devices won't be reliable anymore (which in some respects might not be much different than the state of things as of today).

There is a chance you will be disappointed and the pain will continue.....
    There is no other step between what they have now, and turning off the servers completely.
    10-09-21 05:03 PM
    There is no other step between what they have now, and turning off the servers completely.
    Even you have previously said that when BlackBerry turns off the servers, it in theory might not impact the ability for BB10 to make calls, data, SMS... provided one has taken the necessary steps to first get rid of BBID, etc.... If that's the case (and if the carriers don't do something else at the same time), then when BlackBerry shuts those off, the folks who are still committed to BB10 will just painfully keep limping along, until other future carrier changes drop their devices off the waves. The true BB10 shutdown might then not happen until at some point in the future, and that shutdown not even under the control of BlackBerry.
    10-09-21 05:13 PM
    Even you have previously said that when BlackBerry turns off the servers, it in theory might not impact the ability for BB10 to make calls, data, SMS... provided one has taken the necessary steps to first get rid of BBID, etc.... If that's the case (and if the carriers don't do something else at the same time), then when BlackBerry shuts those off, the folks who are still committed to BB10 will just painfully keep limping along, until other future carrier changes drop their devices off the waves. The true BB10 shutdown might then not happen until at some point in the future, and that shutdown not even under the control of BlackBerry.
    What is your point? Once BlackBerry shuts down the servers that's what I would call the shutdown. The rest would just be things slowly breaking that are left afterwards.
    10-09-21 05:18 PM
    What is your point? Once BlackBerry shuts down the servers that's what I would call the shutdown. The rest would just be things slowly breaking that are left afterwards.
    Agree, but I think most would say that BB10 has already been breaking for years.
    10-09-21 05:19 PM
    But again, you're missing the point. That's not what we were talking about.

We were discussing the shutdown - not what may or may not continue working on the devices themselves.
    10-09-21 05:49 PM
    ...well then what are we talking about, because the article referenced in the first post was talking about something as if it meant something that it didn't?
    10-09-21 05:54 PM
    ...well then what are we talking about, because the article referenced in the first post was talking about something as if it meant something that it didn't?
    It veered with post 8, to which you responded.
    10-09-21 05:57 PM
    It veered with post 8, to which you responded.
    I don't see where the veering happened. Post 9 in response to post 8 is within the same context of what I first mentioned in response to the article.
    10-09-21 05:59 PM
    I honestly dont see any reason why SMS and calls would stop working but I could see everything else pretty much stop working. I think pretty much BB is just covering their butts and trying to get people off the devices before the date even comes. There will still be people completely out of touch with reality and know nothing about the shutdown and some will even say that BB is being unfair by doing so but I think in reality its so little people that it doesn’t matter to anyone. Carriers or BB will be glad to put it all behind them.
    Last edited by howarmat; 10-09-21 at 06:17 PM.
    10-09-21 06:05 PM
    ..I think pretty much BB is just covering their butts and trying to get people off the devices before the date even comes....
    I Agree.
    10-09-21 06:07 PM
    I honestly dont see any reason why SMS and calls would stop working but I could see everything else pretty much stop working. I think pretty much BB is just covering their butts and trying to get people off the devices before the date even comes. There will still be people completely out of touch with reality and not know anything about the shutdown and some will even say that BB is being unfair by doing so but I think in reality its so little people that it doesn’t matter to anyone. Carriers or BB will be glad to put it all behind them.
    I Agree.
    Agreed.

All that's left to turn off are BIS and BBID. The only remaining mystery is what other activities on a BB10 device (like adding an email account) needs to authenticate against BlackBerry servers.

Early on, even maintaining a WiFi connection needed the BlackBerry servers - but this was "fixed" with an update.
    10-09-21 06:15 PM
    Agreed.

All that's left to turn off are BIS and BBID. The only remaining mystery is what other activities on a BB10 device (like adding an email account) needs to authenticate against BlackBerry servers.

Early on, even maintaining a WiFi connection needed the BlackBerry servers - but this was "fixed" with an update.
    Right and those are the oopsie type things that I do wonder about.
    10-09-21 06:53 PM
    Even if BB10 phones (assuming BBID removed) still function for n 2022 in Canada for text/call/email and few old Android apk's, you're gonna need to dual carry the thing with a newer Droid.

For example, combo of Classic/Passport and Pixel
    10-09-21 07:09 PM
    Most of the servers have been off for awhile maps/radar and alike. It has been a fun ride keeping the faith but one does have to give them their do, after all we are talking about an old phone OS 10 that has continued to work for most apps until the last year or so. An amazing feet in the TECH world by any standard. I still love my Passport but the T-Rex of phones is facing that good night brave unafraid and no apologizes needed or given.
    Attached Thumbnails Telus reminds BB10 BlackBerry users that network connectivity ends Jan. 4, 2022-img_20200316_115211.jpg  
    10-10-21 10:00 AM
    Most of the servers have been off for awhile maps/radar and alike. It has been a fun ride keeping the faith but one does have to give them their do, after all we are talking about an old phone OS 10 that has continued to work for most apps until the last year or so. An amazing feet in the TECH world by any standard. I still love my Passport but the T-Rex of phones is facing that good night brave unafraid and no apologizes needed or given.
    Hear, hear..
    10-10-21 10:04 AM
    Hear, hear..
    Thank you, a round of drinks for the bridge !.............................................you Sir get the big WOOF!
    10-10-21 10:05 AM
28 12