02-24-16 09:02 PM
31 12
tools
    Troy I didn't know that they are going to shut off the HSPA and convert it to LTE.
    Absolutely. Even modern dumb phones support LTE, and it isn't for that excellent WAP web browser! LOL.

Legacy networks are, by modern standards, an inefficient use of the frequencies they occupy, and the carriers can't wait to dump them - but of course, it's a long and complicated transition, and will leave a lot of old devices behind - not many phones, because most of those will be replaced through attrition long before the networks make them obsolete. But there is a TON of other hardware that ties into the cellular networks - from things like vending machines that report when they are empty to refineries and chemical plants that report the state of various pieces of remote equipment, and all of that hardware will need to be replaced with LTE-compatible equipment. In some cases, the entire device will have to be replaced, but most things will probably have a replaceable cellular module that can be swapped out.

But, yes, by 2020 or so (in the US, at least), all current 2G and 3G technologies will be retired, and LTE will rule the cellular world - and all calls will be on packet-switched LTE instead of legacy circuit-switched 2G (CDMA & GSM) technology.
    01-29-16 12:05 AM
    CDMA has been shut down or in the process in Canada

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 04:08 AM
    Got around to testing today. Called my Z30 in downtown Toronto on Telus. It switched to H from 4GLTE so this tells me it is not available in this market yet.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 11:45 AM
    Mine didn't switch doesn't switch do tells me it's in new Brunswick

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 04:15 PM
    Absolutely. Even modern dumb phones support LTE, and it isn't for that excellent WAP web browser! LOL.

Legacy networks are, by modern standards, an inefficient use of the frequencies they occupy, and the carriers can't wait to dump them - but of course, it's a long and complicated transition, and will leave a lot of old devices behind - not many phones, because most of those will be replaced through attrition long before the networks make them obsolete. But there is a TON of other hardware that ties into the cellular networks - from things like vending machines that report when they are empty to refineries and chemical plants that report the state of various pieces of remote equipment, and all of that hardware will need to be replaced with LTE-compatible equipment. In some cases, the entire device will have to be replaced, but most things will probably have a replaceable cellular module that can be swapped out.

But, yes, by 2020 or so (in the US, at least), all current 2G and 3G technologies will be retired, and LTE will rule the cellular world - and all calls will be on packet-switched LTE instead of legacy circuit-switched 2G (CDMA & GSM) technology.
    2020??!??? Sorry....I don't believe 3G / HSPA+ are going to be retired......

By the way, for example, the bid book delivery for stage 1 last week by Los Angeles for the 2024 Olympic Games has guarantees signed by the state government about 3G being fully available by all four major carriers.....

Not happening...at least in the next 3 and half years. 3G / HSPA + will be around...much longer...

:-)

Leo

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:47 PM
    I make it a point to say nasty stuff on the TMobile sub-reddit about the lack of VoLTE on my phone. Tmo employees read it. (They have a closed sub-reddit where they probably say nasty stuff about me.) I would say nasty stuff here, but Crackberry has a nasty word filter.

Anyway, congrats to you getting VoLTE. I'm still waiting.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    02-24-16 09:02 PM
31 12