This message just arrived on my ATT Passport:

AT&T Free Msg: ALERT! AT&T is taking steps to shut down the 3G network, so you can do all the things you love only faster. This means your phone won't work once 3G goes away by February 2022 and you'll need to change it. Starting April 12, 2021, we may redirect your call to customer service to help you upgrade your phone. Some features like voicemail won't work during this time. To learn more or upgrade now, visit your AT&T store.

This sounds bad.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-21 02:56 PM
    I'm in the US by the way. Couldn't this hurt low income people who like their phones? This is bogus!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-21 02:59 PM
    I'm in the US by the way. Couldn't this hurt low income people who like their phones? This is bogus!

Posted via CB10
    We've been talking about this here for over a year.

3G is shutting down all over the world and will be history within 5 years. There is only so much bandwidth available, and technology evolves.

It's true that many old phones won't work, but honestly, in 2022 the Passport will be almost 8 years old.
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-19-21 04:01 PM
    This has been planned for years. How is it bogus?
    03-19-21 04:14 PM
    This message just arrived on my ATT Passport:

AT&T Free Msg: ALERT! AT&T is taking steps to shut down the 3G network, so you can do all the things you love only faster. This means your phone won't work once 3G goes away by February 2022 and you'll need to change it. Starting April 12, 2021, we may redirect your call to customer service to help you upgrade your phone. Some features like voicemail won't work during this time. To learn more or upgrade now, visit your AT&T store.

This sounds bad.

Posted via CB10
    Haven’t we been discussing this for quite some time now? I wasn’t just making things up as I go and I’ve posted the official AT&T carrier locked and factories unlocked list several times now.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=reAfESVM

The link is to AT&T prepaid devices page with several inexpensive under $100USD and under $50USD phones. If like before, AT&T will offer low income customers a bill credit to help offset spending on that purchase. What’s bogus about that?!?
    03-19-21 05:12 PM
    I'm so happy that I'm in Russia. We still have 2g, 3g, and best quality 4g (20 to 50 gbits depend on location) and no 3g turn off not even 2g turn off
    bbfanfan likes this.
    03-19-21 05:13 PM
    I'm so happy that I'm in Russia. We still have 2g, 3g, and best quality 4g (20 to 50 gbits depend on location) and no 3g turn off not even 2g turn off
    All that means is that you will have a crappy 5G network. There is only so much bandwidth to work with. If 2G and 3G is clogging it up, then you'll have to wait that much longer for superior service.

Russia is only ranked 61st in the world for 4G coverage - right behind Kenya.

Your 4G throughput numbers are off too. The theoretical limit for LTE Advanced is 1.3 Gbps. I get just under 500 Mbps in a major Canadian city. LTE is 150 Mbps, and WiMAX is 128 Mbps.
    Last edited by conite; 03-19-21 at 08:01 PM.
    03-19-21 07:20 PM
    All that means is that you will have a crappy 5G network. There is only so much bandwidth to work with. If 2G and 3G is clogging it up, then you'll have to wait that much longer for superior service.
    Cmon. This is to force us to spend money.

Posted via CB10
    gouger05 likes this.
    03-19-21 11:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol. No.

5G is being demanded from many sides - including a great number of consumers.

Something else has to go.

'https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/5g/why-5g-important-discover-importance-5g-technology
    Last edited by conite; 03-19-21 at 11:58 PM.
    03-19-21 11:43 PM
    No, it's to best manage the very limited bandwidth they (the carriers) have when facing a coming tsunami of new devices that will need to be on the mobile network and will consume a ton of data: self-driving vehicles of all types, drones that do a number of different jobs, "smart" vending machines, and a lot more. If they put these devices on the current network, they'll cripple it for everyone, because it can't handle that kind of load. That's exactly the problem 5G is intended to solve.

You're like a Model T owner arguing against the construction of Interstate Highways in the 1950s as cars sales are exploding, and as people are already clogging rural roads trying to get from place to place. If we don't build this out now, we'll have gridlock everywhere.
    03-19-21 11:53 PM
    No, it's to best manage the very limited bandwidth they (the carriers) have when facing a coming tsunami of new devices that will need to be on the mobile network and will consume a ton of data: self-driving vehicles of all types, drones that do a number of different jobs, "smart" vending machines, and a lot more. If they put these devices on the current network, they'll cripple it for everyone, because it can't handle that kind of load. That's exactly the problem 5G is intended to solve.

You're like a Model T owner arguing against the construction of Interstate Highways in the 1950s as cars sales are exploding, and as people are already clogging rural roads trying to get from place to place. If we don't build this out now, we'll have gridlock everywhere.
    Really? What data are we craving to fill up our cell phones with? Are we all going to stream teen dramas from Netflix 24 hours a day? I already can stream live sports at high resolution every once in a while on my network. What am I missing? Does Google want to record my life and save everything on a server somewhere?

Posted via CB10
    gouger05 likes this.
    03-20-21 01:39 AM
    Really? What data are we craving to fill up our cell phones with? Are we all going to stream teen dramas from Netflix 24 hours a day? I already can stream live sports at high resolution every once in a while on my network. What am I missing? Does Google want to record my life and save everything on a server somewhere?

Posted via CB10
    Did you read the article I just posted?

"It is estimated that by 2035, 5G “will enable $12.3 trillion of global economic output and support 22 million jobs worldwide.” "

Besides, you could have said the same about 3G and 4G at the time of their respective deployments. The world keeps moving on.
    ppeters914 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-21 05:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    Even with teenagers and young adults, I’m the largest consumer of mobile data on my family plan and it’s not even close. I don’t use my devices to watch video since that what flat screen TVs are for. The biggest consumers of data are the people using their mobile plans for everything and not using fixed location ISPs
    03-20-21 05:30 AM

Russia is only ranked 61st in the world for 4G coverage - right behind Kenya.

Your 4G throughput numbers are off too. The theoretical limit for LTE Advanced is 1.3 Gbps. I get just under 500 Mbps in a major Canadian city. LTE is 150 Mbps, and WiMAX is 128 Mbps.
    It means nothing. And coverage is not the very relevant, try to compare Kenya and Russia in sizes. And what you talking about 1,8gbit or 500 mbits on 4g? Theoretically possible but practically...
    I don't know how good 4g in Canada, but I tried 4g in Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, France and my friends told me about the quality of it in USA, and I must say internet it is laughably slow and very expensive.
    bh7171, Vu Thu and elfabio80 like this.
    03-20-21 05:41 AM
    It means nothing. And coverage is not the very relevant, try to compare Kenya and Russia in sizes. And what you talking about 1,8gbit or 500 mbits on 4g? Theoretically possible but practically...
    I don't know how good 4g in Canada, but I tried 4g in Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, France and my friends told me about the quality of it in USA, and I must say internet it is laughably slow and very expensive.
    As I already wrote, the theoretical limit of LTE Advanced is about 1.3 Gbps. I typically get just under 500 Mbps.

You had originally stated 20 to 50 Gbps - both impossible.

Download Speedtest (ookla) from Play Store and give it a run.
    03-20-21 06:04 AM
    As I already wrote, the theoretical limit of LTE Advanced is about 1.3 Gbps. I typically get just under 500 Mbps.

You had originally stated 20 to 50 Gbps - both impossible.

Download Speedtest (ookla) from Play Store and give it a run.
    Sorry, of course it was a typo, I meant mbits
    03-20-21 06:19 AM
    Sorry, of course it was a typo, I meant mbits
    Oh. In that case, that's not that great.

You'd get far, far better than that in any major city in any of the countries you listed.
    03-20-21 06:39 AM
    Oh. In that case, that's not that great.

You'd get far, far better than that in any country you listed - unless you're in the middle of nowhere of course.
    I tested myself and it don't. Very poor quality connections and very expensive price for that quality.
    03-20-21 06:47 AM
    Did you read the article I just posted?

"It is estimated that by 2035, 5G “will enable $12.3 trillion of global economic output and support 22 million jobs worldwide.” "

Besides, you could have said the same about 3G and 4G at the time of their respective deployments. The world keeps moving on.
    Oh. Experts threw out some random numbers. Can't argue with trillions and millions!

Posted via CB10
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    03-20-21 08:37 AM
    Oh. Experts threw out some random numbers. Can't argue with trillions and millions!

Posted via CB10
    It appears one can't argue with you at all, as you always reject any attempt at providing data.

Did you at least read the rest of the article with regards to health care, autonomous vehicles, and IoT? Or is that all to be ignored too because it doesn't fit your narrative?

5G has been called the catalyst for the world's fourth industrial revolution, and it will be a disruptor in countless industries.
    Laura Knotek and jmr1015 like this.
    03-20-21 08:47 AM
    Really? What data are we craving to fill up our cell phones with? Are we all going to stream teen dramas from Netflix 24 hours a day? I already can stream live sports at high resolution every once in a while on my network. What am I missing? Does Google want to record my life and save everything on a server somewhere? Posted via CB10
    Did you attend the Mike Lazaridis school of bandwidth philosophy?

Just kidding. With response to your last question: probably!

But more to the point, think beyond the phone. Remember Google glass? The implementation failed, but the idea of augmented reality is not going to disappear. One day, people will be always connected, with graphical overlays on everything they look at as they proceed through their neighbourhoods, whether walking, in a car, on a bus, train or bicycle. That's going to require a lot of bandwidth. So will connecting everything else you own to the great electronic hive mind.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-20-21 09:58 AM
    This to OP : are you just trolling here or what is the goal you are trying to achieve?
    03-20-21 10:09 AM
    Its Bogus because they know that 3G must stay up and running until next year. Many automated systems use 3G and the FCC mandated the full year, this is a squeeze to get people to buy new now. After years being with AT&T I can say they not only suck but border on criminal. With people hurting what a better plan than to squeeze people now. Funny how no other company is making the squeeze.
    03-20-21 03:52 PM

I hate to disagree with you, yes the change is coming and no it has to be right now. AT&T knows full well that they can spread out the upgrade and that the 3G system needs to stay up and running until next year. They could have worded the information different and told people you have 8 + months. But no they are what they are a company that sucks on many levels. They want you to buy a new phone NOW NOW NOW, guess to many customers are bolting to better services/cheaper.

With the economy the way it is, it could have been handled better.Funny how other companies are not having this issue.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    03-20-21 03:59 PM
    I hate to disagree with you, yes the change is coming and no it has to be right now. AT&T knows full well that they can spread out the upgrade and that the 3G system needs to stay up and running until next year. They could have worded the information different and told people you have 8 + months. But no they are what they are a company that sucks on many levels. They want you to buy a new phone NOW NOW NOW, guess to many customers are bolting to better services/cheaper.

With the economy the way it is, it could have been handled better.Funny how other companies are not having this issue.
    Okay, now you make a valid point.

My 93 year old technology challenged is an understatement mother is on a poorly refurbished 2008 3G cellphone because....well, because. I'm already dealing with AT&T decommissioning her copper landline this May, and was hoping to wait until later to explain to her that her cellphone will cease to work in February 2022.

Yes. They could have worded it better.
    03-20-21 04:15 PM
163 123 ...