Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry 10 OS

Syncing Remember notes via Exchange (EAS) not working?

Asked: Jun 11 2019 | 7:39 pm EDT 2701 Views 33 Answers

Hi guys,

I'm trying to sync BB10 Remember's notes via Exchange Active Sync to the Notes app on my Apple devices but I can't get it working.

I do a lot of writing for my work and I've been neck deep in the Apple ecosystem since the PowerPC days, so switching is not an option for me. I've always loved BlackBerry handsets and I really like the 9900/Q10/Q20 style physical keyboards. A couple years back I bought a Q10 to use as a portable note-taking and writing device, because I could take it with me anywhere and write whenever the inspiration came to me. I used the native Blackberry 'Connect to Dropbox' app to sync everything I wrote on the Q10 to Dropbox from which I could access it on my Macs for proper formatting and getting the real work done.

I recently bought a brand new BlackBerry Classic (still sealed what a delight), I had done my research and knew that the native Dropbox, Evernote, OneDrive options were all broken at this point and that BB10 itself would soon be EOL. Obviously an Android Blackberry would be more capable, but I much prefer the keyboard on the Classic and its overall form factor and design evokes a strong sense of fond nostalgia in me. I decided to go with the Classic and sync my writing from Remember to my Apple devices native 'Notes' app via EAS.

Anyway I set up an Outlook.com account on the Classic via EAS and the same exchange account is configured on my iPhone/iPad/Macs. Emails are working perfectly but none of my notes are syncing. I cant get anything I write in Remember to appear in Notes on my Apple devices for love or money.

As an experiment I bought a $200 Android phone and set up the same Outlook.com account via EAS on it and wrote some notes and those notes from the Android device appear on my iPhone and Mac instantly. So the problem is clearly on the BB10 side.

Am I doing something wrong? Does BB10 still support syncing Notes via Exchange?

Ideally I'd really like anything I write in Remember to sync to my Notes app on iOS/MacOS. But is there some other workaround I could use to sync the notes, just so I can enjoy the Classic's awesome keyboard?

I searched the forums extensively but couldn't find anything to resolve my issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to offer some assistance.

More Answers

Jun 11 2019 | 9:08 pm EDT dexo

TLDR version:

how to automatically sync notes from blackberry classic remember app? (for access and backup). Native Dropbox/OneDrive/Evernote all deprecated. Can't get Exchange to sync notes from BB10? How do you guys sync your remember notes from BB10? Classic is running 10.3.3.3216 in case that matters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10

Jun 13 2019 | 12:07 am EDT TrumpetTiger

Hi guys,

I'm trying to sync BB10 Remember's notes via Exchange Active Sync to the Notes app on my Apple devices but I can't get it working.

I do a lot of writing for my work and I've been neck deep in the Apple ecosystem since the PowerPC days, so switching is not an option for me. I've always loved BlackBerry handsets and I really like the 9900/Q10/Q20 style physical keyboards. A couple years back I bought a Q10 to use as a portable note-taking and writing device, because I could take it with me anywhere and write whenever the inspiration came to me. I used the native Blackberry 'Connect to Dropbox' app to sync everything I wrote on the Q10 to Dropbox from which I could access it on my Macs for proper formatting and getting the real work done.

I recently bought a brand new BlackBerry Classic (still sealed what a delight), I had done my research and knew that the native Dropbox, Evernote, OneDrive options were all broken at this point and that BB10 itself would soon be EOL. Obviously an Android Blackberry would be more capable, but I much prefer the keyboard on the Classic and its overall form factor and design evokes a strong sense of fond nostalgia in me. I decided to go with the Classic and sync my writing from Remember to my Apple devices native 'Notes' app via EAS.

Anyway I set up an Outlook.com account on the Classic via EAS and the same exchange account is configured on my iPhone/iPad/Macs. Emails are working perfectly but none of my notes are syncing. I cant get anything I write in Remember to appear in Notes on my Apple devices for love or money.

As an experiment I bought a $200 Android phone and set up the same Outlook.com account via EAS on it and wrote some notes and those notes from the Android device appear on my iPhone and Mac instantly. So the problem is clearly on the BB10 side.

Am I doing something wrong? Does BB10 still support syncing Notes via Exchange?

Ideally I'd really like anything I write in Remember to sync to my Notes app on iOS/MacOS. But is there some other workaround I could use to sync the notes, just so I can enjoy the Classic's awesome keyboard?

I searched the forums extensively but couldn't find anything to resolve my issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to offer some assistance.
Hey dexo,

I can confirm that EAS is indeed working for BB10 devices to sync Remember notes. However, if memory serves, I think Outlook.com may use a slightly different syncing method on iOS devices. When setting up the Outlook.com account on your Apple devices, are you selecting Exchange or Outlook.com in the account type section?

Jun 13 2019 | 12:28 am EDT dexo

Hi TrumpetTiger, thanks for your response.

It's great to hear that you can confirm EAS is working on BB10 to sync Remember notes!
Can I ask which EAS provider (Outlook.com, Office365, G Suite, etc) you've managed to get this working through? I've been trying for days to get notes to sync via EAS, but only emails are syncing not notes.

Yes, I've configured the Outlook.com account as Exchange on all devices (never chose the Outlook.com option).

I've spent hours Googling and some people seem to think that Outlook.com's implementation of EAS may not be the "full" version. So I was going to sign up to a Microsoft Exchange Online hosted email plan to be sure its "full" EAS and see if that would work. It just sucks to have to pay a monthly fee to Microsoft purely to sync notes from BB10, because I don't need the email hosting service for anything else.

It would be great to know what service you use, as I could get the same one to be sure it works.

I'm about to try completely wiping the BlackBerry Classic and setting it up again (in case anything third party I've downloaded from BBW is causing the issue) with a new outlook.com account before I go for a paid solution though. It would be great to sync notes without ongoing costs.

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated!

Jun 13 2019 | 6:29 am EDT TrumpetTiger

Hi TrumpetTiger, thanks for your response.

It's great to hear that you can confirm EAS is working on BB10 to sync Remember notes!
Can I ask which EAS provider (Outlook.com, Office365, G Suite, etc) you've managed to get this working through? I've been trying for days to get notes to sync via EAS, but only emails are syncing not notes.

Yes, I've configured the Outlook.com account as Exchange on all devices (never chose the Outlook.com option).

I've spent hours Googling and some people seem to think that Outlook.com's implementation of EAS may not be the "full" version. So I was going to sign up to a Microsoft Exchange Online hosted email plan to be sure its "full" EAS and see if that would work. It just sucks to have to pay a monthly fee to Microsoft purely to sync notes from BB10, because I don't need the email hosting service for anything else.

It would be great to know what service you use, as I could get the same one to be sure it works.

I'm about to try completely wiping the BlackBerry Classic and setting it up again (in case anything third party I've downloaded from BBW is causing the issue) with a new outlook.com account before I go for a paid solution though. It would be great to sync notes without ongoing costs.

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated!
No worries dexo, I'll be here to help the loyal BB10 remnant as long as our benevolent Crackberry mods allow me to be.

I have confirmed the service works with Office 365, which uses EAS as you may know. If you want to sign up for an Exchange Online plan that's certainly a viable option, but you might also try resetting your accounts on your iOS devices and selecting the Outlook.com option to see whether that corrects your issue. I would agree that it's likely not the full EAS experience, but if you don't want to have to pay Microsoft $4/month it's a good option to try.

Feel free to wipe your Classic if you wish (backing up using Link/Sachesi/DBBT/Ultimate Backup first of course), but I find it unlikely that a third-party app, particularly a native one, would be interfering with EAS/Outlook.com sync in this manner.

Jun 13 2019 | 11:26 am EDT dexo

Thanks for all your help TrumpetTiger!
I've got it all up and running like a beauty. I'm super stocked about it. I used an old uni email I still have which is through Office365, set that up and got a nice surprise, a new "Sync Memos" appeared whereas with outlook.com configured via exchange that option was never present.

My conclusion from all this is that free outlook.com accounts cannot sync notes to/from BB10 Remember. But I would be happy to be proved wrong by anyone on that. At this point I believe it's only possible to sync remember notes via EAS through a paid exchange product (Office365/G Suite/etc) which is a bit of bummer for us Remember fans but at least it works.

I'm hopeful that because this solution doesn't require any BBW apps it might continue to be viable beyond 31/12/2019? But maybe I'm just getting my hopes up

Anyway thanks again TrumpetTiger. You're a hero. Saved the day!.

Jun 13 2019 | 12:32 pm EDT Emaderton3

I've got it all up and running like a beauty. I'm super stocked about it. I used an old uni email I still have which is through Office365, set that up and got a nice surprise, a new "Sync Memos" appeared whereas with outlook.com configured via exchange that option was never present.

My conclusion from all this is that free outlook.com accounts cannot sync notes to/from BB10 Remember. But I would be happy to be proved wrong by anyone on that. At this point I believe it's only possible to sync remember notes via EAS through a paid exchange product (Office365/G Suite/etc) which is a bit of bummer for us Remember fans but at least it works.

I'm hopeful that because this solution doesn't require any BBW apps it might continue to be viable beyond 31/12/2019? But maybe I'm just getting my hopes up

I am surprised as I had it working (although it was a long time ago).

Jun 14 2019 | 3:52 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

You're quite welcome dexo! Glad it's up and going for you. I do what I can.

Please rest assured that this solution, like many things some people on CB would have you believe will stop working after 12/31/2019, will continue to work well into the future.

I'll have to do a test on outlook.com accounts since it's my experience that they sync with no trouble. I'll let you know the results.

Jun 17 2019 | 8:04 am EDT dexo

Thanks TrumpetTiger. I'm looking forward to your findings re: syncing remember notes via EAS with outlook.com accounts. I couldn't get it to work for me come hell or high water. Very interested to see your findings

Posted via CB10

Jun 18 2019 | 6:10 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

Thanks TrumpetTiger. I'm looking forward to your findings re: syncing remember notes via EAS with outlook.com accounts. I couldn't get it to work for me come hell or high water. Very interested to see your findings

Posted via CB10
Hey dexo,

Here's the latest:

I was able to get Remember Tasks to sync directly from BB10 with no issue to Outlook.com, but not Notes. However, my test iOS device (despite saying it would sync Notes) also did not display my Outlook.com test account in the Notes app.

Are you able to sync Notes directly from iOS to Outlook.com? If so, does your Outlook.com account show up normally in the iOS Notes app?

Jun 18 2019 | 7:52 pm EDT dexo

Yeah my experience is the same. (BB10 will sync Outlook.com email fine, but not notes).

The outlook.com account I had set up for years on iOS devices was previously syncing notes fine, they would appear in iOS Notes app. But after deleting the account and re-adding it recently (as both outlook.com and Exchange) theres issues with notes syncing on iOS now. Folders will show up in iOS but not the actually notes etc.

Something must have changed on the Outlook.com side that’s stopped this from working.

When I used a paid EAS solution from Microsoft “Sync Memos” appears as an option within BB10 and when that’s turned on Notes sync perfectly. However there’s no option for “Sync Memos” in BB10 using outlook.com.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this. Paid EAS (O365, G-Suite, Exchange Online Plan etc) is required for syncing Remember notes between BB10 and other platforms.

Jun 18 2019 | 7:57 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

Yeah my experience is the same. (BB10 will sync Outlook.com email fine, but not notes).

The outlook.com account I had set up for years on iOS devices was previously syncing notes fine, they would appear in iOS Notes app. But after deleting the account and re-adding it recently (as both outlook.com and Exchange) theres issues with notes syncing on iOS now. Folders will show up in iOS but not the actually notes etc.

Something must have changed on the Outlook.com side that’s stopped this from working.

When I used a paid EAS solution from Microsoft “Sync Memos” appears as an option within BB10 and when that’s turned on Notes sync perfectly. However there’s no option for “Sync Memos” in BB10 using outlook.com.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this. Paid EAS (O365, G-Suite, Exchange Online Plan etc) is required for syncing Remember notes between BB10 and other platforms.
Well, or something changed on the iOS side. Since the outlook.com account does not actually appear in the iOS Notes app I lean that direction. But in any case yes, outlook.com sync does not work with Notes for at least iOS and BB10, and likely Android as well.

Also, for everyone's reference, it looks like Outlook.com will sync all PIM elements (e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks) other than Notes.

As a point of clarification, G Suite does not use EAS to my knowledge to sync between itself and any platform. Also, Evernote does still appear to sync with Remember notes on BB10 (testing is being done to clarify as different users are having different experiences).

Jun 18 2019 | 8:36 pm EDT dexo

Well, or something changed on the iOS side. Since the outlook.com account does not actually appear in the iOS Notes app I lean that direction. But in any case yes, outlook.com sync does not work with Notes for at least iOS and BB10, and likely Android as well.

Also, for everyone's reference, it looks like Outlook.com will sync all PIM elements (e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks) other than Notes.

As a point of clarification, G Suite does not use EAS to my knowledge to sync between itself and any platform. Also, Evernote does still appear to sync with Remember notes on BB10 (testing is being done to clarify as different users are having different experiences).
That’s true. It could be something has changed on the iOS side I just assumed that if Apple decided to no longer support notes sync for outlook.com they wouldn’t display notes as an option in the sync settings. I wish I knew whether I should be frustrated with Microsoft or Apple aha.

You’re right. Google refers to it as “Google Sync” but in my experience it works like any other corporate EAS offering. I’ve always set up G Suite accounts as Exchange on all my devices and it syncs everything without problems. On BB10 Google Apps/G Suite accounts display the “Sync Memos” option and allows me to sync Remember notes for example.

Jun 19 2019 | 1:50 am EDT TrumpetTiger

That’s true. It could be something has changed on the iOS side I just assumed that if Apple decided to no longer support notes sync for outlook.com they wouldn’t display notes as an option in the sync settings. I wish I knew whether I should be frustrated with Microsoft or Apple aha.

You’re right. Google refers to it as “Google Sync” but in my experience it works like any other corporate EAS offering. I’ve always set up G Suite accounts as Exchange on all my devices and it syncs everything without problems. On BB10 Google Apps/G Suite accounts display the “Sync Memos” option and allows me to sync Remember notes for example.
Fair enough. I just wanted to clarify for folks since EAS is actually a separate technology (I have experience with both as I work as an IT Consultant) and they might take it as gospel that G Suite works the same way.

(Note to those encountering this thread: G Suite should sync with BB10 assuming all necessary features are turned on as dexo says...it just doesn't use Exchange ActiveSync. )

Jul 22 2019 | 11:06 am EDT dualpassport

I can sync my BB10 Tasks with outlook.com but cannot edit the alarm (reminder) time.

I have to add an alarm time on the Web or using desktop outlook 2010 (I have a paid for 2010 licence)

I really miss the ability to add a timed alarm.

Posted via CB10

Jul 23 2019 | 2:34 am EDT mese1000

Hello
The only way to have Exchange notes sync with BB10 is to install third party app from Android Store. I usually install Task and Notes Exchange and working flawlessly without issues. And is perfectly integrated with whole system.
The Remember and Exchange notes (and the same with Android BB notes) are incompatible and I dont know the reason. In the past (some older ver of BB10) Remember and Exchange notes was worked with no issues... but not now.
Regards

Jul 23 2019 | 4:37 am EDT TrumpetTiger

Hello
The only way to have Exchange notes sync with BB10 is to install third party app from Android Store. I usually install Task and Notes Exchange and working flawlessly without issues. And is perfectly integrated with whole system.
The Remember and Exchange notes (and the same with Android BB notes) are incompatible and I dont know the reason. In the past (some older ver of BB10) Remember and Exchange notes was worked with no issues... but not now.
Regards
With respect, mese, this is false--I sync multiple Exchange notes from multiple accounts to BB10 using its built-in native functionality every day.

I'm not sure what issues you may be having with native sync, but I'd be happy to help with them if you'd like.

Posted via CB10

Jul 23 2019 | 4:44 am EDT mese1000

The standard of Exchange notes is not compatible with Remember (the current version) from BB10 and with Notes from BB Android. For that reason you have the use third party app for having the notes in your phone. Or that was for me the best solution. I´d tried for using Remember but no success.

Jul 23 2019 | 4:48 am EDT TrumpetTiger

The standard of Exchange notes is not compatible with Remember from BB10 and with Notes from BB Android. For that reason you have the use third party app for having the notes in your phone. Or that was for me the best solution. I´d tried for using Remember but no success.
I can't speak to what runs on the Android devices, but I'm pretty confident that even they will sync with Exchange and I'm absolutely certain Remember does on BB10.

The standard is actually fairly straightforward for Exchange notes--they use Microsoft's ActiveSync protocol, which is fairly industry-standard.

May I ask what trouble you had with Remember? If you're interested I'm confident we can integrate it with your Exchange account quickly and easily.

Posted via CB10

Jul 23 2019 | 4:53 am EDT mese1000

The Remember notes was no issues with the connection with the Exchange server. But it didn´t bring any notes from server. And I have a lot.
The Exchange server is 14 version.

Jul 23 2019 | 5:10 am EDT TrumpetTiger

The Remember notes was no issues with the connection with the Exchange server. But it didn´t bring any notes from server. And I have a lot.
The Exchange server is 14 version.
Ah, so BB10 says it connected but didn't show any Notes eh? In the Remember app, did you even see the "Notes" folder?

When Exchange connects to BB10, the notes arrive via a folder called "Notes" in the main Remember app. Selecting that folder usually shows all the notes you have, but if you don't tap it then you won't see them. (You can of course search for them from within Remember.)

When you tapped the Notes folder from within Remember, did you just see nothing then?

Posted via CB10

Jul 23 2019 | 5:19 am EDT mese1000

I´d all those things. I can see the number of notes from server but nothing show up on tap/click.

Jul 23 2019 | 5:35 am EDT TrumpetTiger

I´d all those things. I can see the number of notes from server but nothing show up on tap/click.
I'm a little confused here mese; forgive me if I'm missing something. So once your account is connected, you open Remember, tap Notes at the top, then select the Notes folder from within the main Notes area, and nothing appears when you tap it?

If that is the case, have you tried searching for the title of one of your notes? I have a number of blank spaces in one of my accounts which require me to scroll down after tapping the main Notes folder, so I'm wondering if something similar is happening to you.

Also, do all other Exchange items (Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks) show up properly in BB10?

Posted via CB10

Jul 23 2019 | 12:12 pm EDT mese1000

Yeap. All the other things from Exchange (mail contacts, calendar) show up properly (except the calendar colors) except Notes. And here is another thing. Sometimes the Notes are working and sometimes not. And I dont have the reason for having that issue with Notes because in the same time that app (Task and Notes Exchange) is still working with no issues.
Wired isnt did?

Jul 23 2019 | 1:56 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

Yeap. All the other things from Exchange (mail contacts, calendar) show up properly (except the calendar colors) except Notes. And here is another thing. Sometimes the Notes are working and sometimes not. And I dont have the reason for having that issue with Notes because in the same time that app (Task and Notes Exchange) is still working with no issues.
Wired isnt did?
Very weird. May I ask what your e-mail domain is? (the part after the @)

Also, do you know whether you are using on-premises Exchange or Office 365?

Jul 24 2019 | 12:04 am EDT mese1000

I´m using kerio like exchange server and my domain regarding the spam worries should be eventually send to pm.
Kerio mail server use the 14v of Exchange and they are using the standard version of Exchange (or they said this).

Jul 24 2019 | 10:54 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

I´m using kerio like exchange server and my domain regarding the spam worries should be eventually send to pm.
Kerio mail server use the 14v of Exchange and they are using the standard version of Exchange (or they said this).
Ah, so that explains it! Mese, Kerio actually is not a full implementation of Exchange--they aren't a Microsoft Exchange server at all but rather a third-party competitor. They claim to use Exchange ActiveSync, but this does not apply to Notes on Kerio inherently as it does with true Microsoft-based Exchange servers (or Office 365).

There is an app known as Kerio Connect which can be run on a computer which will help you sync those notes, but if Tasks and Notes for Exchange is working for you and your company has to use Kerio then that's fine. Just wanted to clarify the point that that's the reason BB10 isn't inherently syncing your Remember notes.

If you're curious, here's Kerio's own support page on setting up ActiveSync for Android devices (which are usually how most third-party entities recognize BB10 these days):

https://manuals.gfi.com/en/kerio/con...vices-883.html

Jul 25 2019 | 10:09 am EDT bb10adopter111

Sorry, I just saw this thread. Your conclusion is correct, Outlook.com doesn't offer a true MS Cloud Exchange server for you to use that can sync Notes, but Office 365 does.

Microsoft deprecated Notes in Outlook years ago, and removed it from the default settings, but has maintained it in Exchange Server for backward compatibility for enterprises. They want consumers to use OneNote instead.

Posted with my trusty Z10

Jul 25 2019 | 10:19 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Sorry, I just saw this thread. Your conclusion is correct, Outlook.com doesn't offer a true MS Cloud Exchange server for you to use that can sync Notes, but Office 365 does.

Microsoft deprecated Notes in Outlook years ago, and removed it from the default settings, but has maintained it in Exchange Server for backward compatibility for enterprises. They want consumers to use OneNote instead.

I use OneNote and it is a great product for keeping up with more complex information. But do miss the old days...

Jul 25 2019 | 10:20 am EDT bb10adopter111

Hello
Regards
This is only true for Outlook.com. My business has a Cloud Exchange server as part of our Office 365 E3 account, and notes sync perfectly between the Outlook desktop or Web app (NOT Outlook.com), BB10 Remember, iOS Outlook app, and Android BlackBerry Hub+ Notes.

Aug 01 2019 | 4:41 am EDT TrumpetTiger

Hey bb10,

Do you have a KB on MS deprecating Exchange notes? Since they still offer them on 365 (with no EOL or deprecation notices to my knowledge) they aren't removing them anytmie soon so far as I am aware.

They do indeed want people to use the cloud-based or Windows 10 app-based versions of OneNote and HAVE deprecated the desktop version of that application, but no action has been taken regarding Exchange-based Notes as far as I know...

Aug 01 2019 | 3:46 pm EDT bb10adopter111

Hey bb10,

Do you have a KB on MS deprecating Exchange notes? Since they still offer them on 365 (with no EOL or deprecation notices to my knowledge) they aren't removing them anytmie soon so far as I am aware.

They do indeed want people to use the cloud-based or Windows 10 app-based versions of OneNote and HAVE deprecated the desktop version of that application, but no action has been taken regarding Exchange-based Notes as far as I know...
I do, but I'll have to find it. Specifically, they deprecated the feature in Outlook, and removed it from the default views. It was a while ago, like 2013-15 I think.

Aug 01 2019 | 5:19 pm EDT TrumpetTiger

I do, but I'll have to find it. Specifically, they deprecated the feature in Outlook, and removed it from the default views. It was a while ago, like 2013-15 I think.

We may just be viewing the term "deprecated" differently, but if you have the KB I'd be interested. No worries if it takes a while to find or what have you though; I'm confident Notes will be around for a while to come yet.

Aug 01 2019 | 6:51 pm EDT bb10adopter111

We may just be viewing the term "deprecated" differently, but if you have the KB I'd be interested. No worries if it takes a while to find or what have you though; I'm confident Notes will be around for a while to come yet.
I am using the term that Microsoft used in the announcement. But to be clear, they deprecated it in Outlook, not in Exchange server. I'm almost certain is was when they removed Notes from the default folder list in Outlook 2013.