09-15-13 07:53 PM
34 12
tools
    They have shi**y developers that are pretty inexperienced working on the QNX platform, that just don't know the way BlackBerry used to run since it's a completely new team. They're having problems getting new hires too.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    Interesting. I always wondered how much help the old BBOS guys would be to the new QNX folks in getting BB10's capabilities up to par. You gotta figure there's a lot of friction. I guess with BB10's incompleteness is lots of areas we can see it's not an optimal dev process going on.
    09-15-13 12:45 PM
    Interesting. I always wondered how much help the old BBOS guys would be to the new QNX folks in getting BB10's capabilities up to par. You gotta figure there's a lot of friction. I guess with BB10's incompleteness is lots of areas we can see it's not an optimal dev process going on.
    To my understanding, and what I've heard from our internal BES admins that are part of our service contract with RIM, they cleaned house and the Legacy OS developers had nothing to do with designing and building BB10. Completely done from scratch.

If this is the case, and I have no reason not to trust our BES admins, it absolutely explains the 2 year delay getting this OS out, and the numerous things that have been in BlackBerry devices for years, that were suddenly left out, mainly because the new QNX developers had no idea they were in Legacy OS to begin with. ("U" cycling thru unread email, ability to file Sent messages, "alt + L" no longer give you the "&", but now "alt + J", holding "q" for vibrate only, holding "*" to lock the phone, and basically all keyboard shortcuts and the ability to map new ones).

09-15-13 12:49 PM
    To my understanding, and what I've heard from our internal BES admins that are part of our service contract with RIM, they cleaned house and the Legacy OS developers had nothing to do with designing and building BB10. Completely done from scratch.

If this is the case, and I have no reason not to trust our BES admins, it absolutely explains the 2 year delay getting this OS out, and the numerous things that have been in BlackBerry devices for years, that were suddenly left out, mainly because the new QNX developers had no idea they were in Legacy OS to begin with. ("U" cycling thru unread email, ability to file Sent messages, "alt + L" no longer give you the "&", but now "alt + J", holding "q" for vibrate only, holding "*" to lock the phone, and basically all keyboard shortcuts and the ability to map new ones).

The evidence is consistent with that summary. I read on here all the time how BlackBerry "couldn't make BIS work with QNX". I tend to believe they weren't intent on trying all that hard.
    09-15-13 01:45 PM
    The evidence is consistent with that summary. I read on here all the time how BlackBerry "couldn't make BIS work with QNX". I tend to believe they weren't intent on trying all that hard.
    I'd concur with that, and RIM was cutting costs by phasing out the number of BIS servers they run and maintain.

09-15-13 01:47 PM
    switch to outlook.com they still offer EAS for free. Swtiching is painless. you can forward gmail to your outlook.com. there is also a tool to import all your contacts.
    09-15-13 02:47 PM
    switch to outlook.com they still offer EAS for free. Swtiching is painless. you can forward gmail to your outlook.com. there is also a tool to import all your contacts.
    I have an Outlook.com email account I uploaded 7 years of gmail to last Monday to test. Same issue remains, it's not the account, it's the way BlackBerry 10 indexes email. Doesn't matter what account you have.

09-15-13 02:59 PM
    Also, Microsoft was functionally ******** by forcing users who use desktop email programs to set up Outlook.com email addys via POP3. No other support at this time. No thanks.

09-15-13 03:00 PM
    Also, Microsoft was functionally ******** by forcing users who use desktop email programs to set up Outlook.com email addys via POP3. No other support at this time. No thanks.

Actually just last week Microsoft announced IMAP support for Outlook.com.

But yeah prior to that POP only unless using a mobile device with EAS.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-15-13 07:02 PM
    Actually just last week Microsoft announced IMAP support for Outlook.com.

But yeah prior to that POP only unless using a mobile device with EAS.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    Oh really?? I stand corrected then good sir.

09-15-13 07:53 PM
34 12