So in the latest official update from 2 weeks ago, the ability to set Gmail to sync Forver finally made it on the device.

Fantastic news for me as I am always pulling up project files history in emails and folders going back to 2008.

However, after the initial 24-48 hours account sync and index time, my device runs like crap! I get email delays all day long, the device runs sluggish, and my battery life is half of what it was prior to this.

I spoke with BlackBerry tier 2, and the said the phone never stops indexing old email. Can that really be true?? If that's the case, I absolutely see why it's running like crap, because it's indexing 7 years of email!

Add to the list of grievances in BlackBerry 10 that I never had in OS 5-7. I had email going back to 2009 on my 9930 and how did it act during the day you ask: LIKE A CHAMP!

Why would they even give us this option if it's ultimately going to affect the usability of the device?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    09-15-13 10:57 AM
    So in the latest official update from 2 weeks ago, the ability to set Gmail to sync Forver finally made it on the device.

Fantastic news for me as I am always pulling up project files history in emails and folders going back to 2008.

However, after the initial 24-48 hours account sync and index time, my device runs like crap! I get email delays all day long, the device runs sluggish, and my battery life is half of what it was prior to this.

I spoke with BlackBerry tier 2, and the said the phone never stops indexing old email. Can that really be true?? If that's the case, I absolutely see why it's running like crap, because it's indexing 7 years of email!

Add to the list of grievances in BlackBerry 10 that I never had in OS 5-7. I had email going back to 2009 on my 9930 and how did it act during the day you ask: LIKE A CHAMP!

Why would they even give us this option if it's ultimately going to affect the usability of the device?

**edit - I should also add that the reason it's constantly indexing email (according to RIM), is because it's looking for mailto: hyperlinks to add to your "recent" contact list. Kind of dumb if you ask me, because I don't need the device seeing my old work email in correspondence from 2008 and thinking that I would want to email it (esp since it's not even an active account).

09-15-13 10:59 AM
    Old BlackBerrys did not sync IMAP folders. Emails were copied locally and kept on the device. Of course that would use less resources since there was no in/out traffic for indexing to occur.

Your only way to get that would be if BlackBerry added a BIS Option to BlackBerry 10. Could happen.

By the way BlackBerry's explanation does not sound correct. Perhaps the tech you got was not the most knowledgeable .

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-15-13 11:37 AM
    Old BlackBerrys did not sync IMAP folders. Emails were copied locally and kept on the device. Of course that would use less resources since there was no in/out traffic for indexing to occur.

Your only way to get that would be if BlackBerry added a BIS Option to BlackBerry 10. Could happen.

By the way BlackBerry's explanation does not sound correct. Perhaps the tech you got was not the most knowledgeable .

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    You're correct, they did not sync imap folders, but the issue is not a matter of the sync protocol, it's how and why the bb10 devices are constantly indexing email. My 9930 could search for an email from 2010 just as quickly as the BlackBerry 10 devices, but the 9930s never seemed to have to constantly index their inbox.

09-15-13 11:44 AM
    Hoe can the forever option be changed to something less? Do I need to remove Gmail account or is there a setting that can be used to adjust the look back?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 11:46 AM
    I believe the device will index all emails once - once that is done, it will run smoothly again. I have a total of around 10,000 emails through five accounts, and the device runs like poo for around 10 hours after a wipe. After that, it quickly cools down and becomes smooth again.
    rallen562 likes this.
    09-15-13 11:47 AM

Because people complaint across different forums that not being able to sync past 30 days was unacceptable for a company like BlackBerry and that it was a "deal breaker" for them and, thus were going to immediately return their phones. Now that it is there, people still complain. This si the old fashion "dam if you do, dan if you don't " scenario. =0)

Posted via CB10
    southlander and the_igg like this.
    09-15-13 11:48 AM
    Hoe can the forever option be changed to something less? Do I need to remove Gmail account or is there a setting that can be used to adjust the look back?

Posted via CB10
    For whatever reason, once you set your initial pulldown, you're stuck. And unlike having BIS, if you just go and delete 2 years of email thinking you can just clear those out, they'll remove from the server so be careful.

You can only change sync interval on EAS accounts once added.

09-15-13 11:49 AM
    I believe the device will index all emails once - once that is done, it will run smoothly again. I have a total of around 10,000 emails through five accounts, and the device runs like poo for around 10 hours after a wipe. After that, it quickly cools down and becomes smooth again.
    It's been 2 weeks. Ain't runnin any smoother!

09-15-13 11:49 AM
    Because people complaint across different forums that not being able to sync past 30 days was unacceptable for a company like BlackBerry and that it was a "deal breaker" for them and, thus were going to immediately return their phones. Now that it is there, people still complain. This si the old fashion "dam if you do, dan if you don't " scenario. =0)

Posted via CB10
    It's not that my friend, it's the fact that the device runs like garbage when selecting Forever due to the way they built the OS and the constand indexing/polling server looking for changes.

09-15-13 11:50 AM
    You're correct, they did not sync imap folders, but the issue is not a matter of the sync protocol, it's how and why the bb10 devices are constantly indexing email. My 9930 could search for an email from 2010 just as quickly as the BlackBerry 10 devices, but the 9930s never seemed to have to constantly index their inbox.

Only searching locally. And yes of course that's fast. If you did a remote server search on BBOS for emails not on the device it was not fast at all.

The difference in the synching is for example if you go back five years and delete emails at your Gmail account your phone will sync and remove those same emails. On an old BlackBerry they'd remain on the device -- there was no true two way sync. Though some folks claimed to have it sync after some long period of like a hour. I never saw it happen.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-15-13 11:51 AM
    Only searching locally. And yes of course that's fast. If you did a remote server search for emails not on the device it was not fast at all.

The difference in the synching is for example if you go back dive years and delete emails at your Gmail account your phone will sync and remove those same emails. On an old BlackBerry they'd remain on the device there was no true two way sync. Though some folks claimed to have it sync after some long period of like a hour. I never saw it happen.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    Sounds like you had a bad OS 7 experience.

Os 10 is searching locally on my device, not sure what you mean. Searches the same way as the 9930, with the option to do a remote search if no results were found. And that's a whole other issue, legacy search which was 1000x better than OS 10 search.

And to your last paragraph, I certainly had 2 way Sync with gmail IMAP after the plugin (not app) that gmail put on BlackBerry devices 2-3 years ago. You know, when it would 'activate' using the enterprise screen.

09-15-13 11:54 AM
    Sounds like you had a bad OS 7 experience.

Os 10 is searching locally on my device, not sure what you mean. Searches the same way as the 9930, with the option to do a remote search if no results were found. And that's a whole other issue, legacy search which was 1000x better than OS 10 search.

And to your last paragraph, I certainly had 2 way Sync with gmail IMAP after the plugin (not app) that gmail put on BlackBerry devices 2-3 years ago. You know, when it would 'activate' using the enterprise screen.

No I loved my 9930 and 9850 -- still have them.

BBOS search was local -- and then there was an option to do a remote search (emails not on the device -- ones where you'd chosen delete "from hand held only").

Yes BB 10 searches the device -- expecting everything is synched.

The Gmail plug-in was not supported on BB OS7. I had a Tour (OS5) as well, and to be honest I can't remember how it synched or if I had the plug-in installed.

Anyway -- I agree that BB needs to do something in BB10 to accommodate scenarios like yours since BB users tend to be very intense email users.
    09-15-13 12:01 PM
    No I loved my 9930 and 9850 -- still have them.

BBOS search was local -- and then there was an option to do a remote search (emails not on the device -- ones where you'd chosen delete "from hand held only").

Yes BB 10 searches the device -- expecting everything is synched.

The Gmail plug-in was not supported on BB OS7.
    Right...so you're saying legacy BlackBerry seach was different from BlackBerry 10 search? I'm lost and we're off topic

What do you mean Gmail plug-in was not supported? I used it? Didn't BlackBerry push it out? Who cares if it wasn't supported if it worked better than OS 10 in regards to email delivery and functionality?

09-15-13 12:03 PM
    Right...so you're saying legacy BlackBerry seach was different from BlackBerry 10 search? I'm lost and we're off topic

What do you mean Gmail plug-in was not supported? I used it? Didn't BlackBerry push it out? Who cares if it wasn't supported if it worked better than OS 10 in regards to email delivery and functionality?

I am agreeing they should help you and folks that want to keep 10's of thousands of emails synched.

I myself have 4,000 synched and have zero issues like you mention. How many emails are we talking here in your account?
    09-15-13 12:09 PM
    I am agreeing they should help you and folks that want to keep 10's of thousands of emails synched.

I myself have 4,000 synched and have zero issues like you mention. How many emails are we talking here in your account?
    432,751 emails going back to 2008.

I guess I need to stop complaining and go back to my 9930 and BIS. This is no longer a business device anymore

09-15-13 12:11 PM

I guess I need to stop complaining and go back to my 9930 and BIS. This is no longer a business device anymore

Holy crap. Have you tested something like this out on say an Android phone using IMAP? That'll tell you whether it is BlackBerry's specific implementation or not.

Also which version OS are you running? (edit OK I see in your sig... 10.1)
    09-15-13 12:16 PM

Yeah for that large number of emails I'd say test it out on an Android phone if you know someone that has one. Maybe for a day after everything syncs up. See what happens. If you see the battery die fast -- perhaps this is one case where BIS and the old BBOS is the only option.
    09-15-13 12:20 PM
    Holy crap. Have you tested something like this out on say an Android phone using IMAP? That'll tell you whether it is BlackBerry's specific implementation or not.

Also which version OS are you running? (edit OK I see in your sig... 10.1)
    Yes, I tested it on a 4.3 device we had in the office, and also just see how my 3 iOS devices (iPod touch, iPad 2 & 3), and they work just fine handling that much email.

I'm 99% sure it's the way BlackBerry designed their indexing service in the new OS (see above comment on how it indexes the mailto: fields in old emails and how it decides those should be included when typing a new email in the 'recent contacts' query).

09-15-13 12:21 PM
    Yes, I tested it on a 4.3 device we had in the office, and also just see how my 3 iOS devices (iPod touch, iPad 2 & 3), and they work just fine handling that much email.

I'm 99% sure it's the way BlackBerry designed their indexing service in the new OS (see above comment on how it indexes the mailto: fields in old emails and how it decides those should be included when typing a new email in the 'recent contacts' query).

Hmmm. Yeah you're kind of stuck if that's the case.

What about using the Gmail app that's in BB World? Is that an option?
    09-15-13 12:24 PM
    Yeah I'll leave you two kids alone then. OP, since you said it has been 2 weeks and the device us still acting like that, why not reboot the device and see if it helps?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 12:25 PM
    Hmmm. Yeah you're kind of stuck if that's the case.

What about using the Gmail app that's in BB World? Is that an option?
    Yep

Unless they decide to revamp their index service at least.

I'm sure the gmail app would work, but hate the irony of having to install an email program onto a device that used to be the email king.

Thanks for all the suggestions though Southlander.

09-15-13 12:27 PM
    Yeah I'll leave you two kids alone then. OP, since you said it has been 2 weeks and the device us still acting like that, why not reboot the device and see if it helps?

Posted via CB10
    You don't think I've done that multiple times?

southlander likes this.
    09-15-13 12:28 PM
    Yep

Unless they decide to revamp their index service at least.

I'm sure the gmail app would work, but hate the irony of having to install an email program onto a device that used to be the email king.

Thanks for all the suggestions though Southlander.

Yeah you and me both. I hate the idea of using a third party app for emails.

Hopefully BlackBerry is aware of this as being a design flaw for folks that have extreme amounts of emails. They should add an option to turn off that indexing for you. Something like "limit indexing of mailto links to emails no more than xxx days old". Lol.
    09-15-13 12:35 PM
    Yeah you and me both. I hate the idea of using a third party app for emails.

Hopefully BlackBerry is aware of this as being a design flaw for folks that have extreme amounts of emails. They should add an option to turn off that indexing for you. Something like "limit indexing of mailto links to emails no more than xxx days old". Lol.
    Completely agree. My case manager (yep they assigned me one because of all the issues I'm having ha) said she's passing these concerns along to the dev team, but there's no way to assure any of them will be implemented.

They have shi**y developers that are pretty inexperienced working on the QNX platform, that just don't know the way BlackBerry used to run since it's a completely new team. They're having problems getting new hires too.

09-15-13 12:40 PM
34 12