I currently have two BB10 devices, a Q5 and a Z30, each with its own unique BlackBerry ID. What I'd like to do is transition my Q5 over to the Z30 (I've already moved everything from the Z30 to my shiny new Priv).

I'm attempting to do this using the backup and switch devices method through BlackBerry Link (Device Switch with BlackBerry Link - Canada)

So I've already done a full backup of the Q5, clicked on Switch Devices in Link, connected the Z30 using USB and the device was recognised by Link, but when I go to select the Q5 backup file I'd like to restore, Link won't allow me to select it. The Q5 backup appears in the list of backups, but when I click on it the "Restore" button remains greyed out (however it does allow me to select any of my other Z30 backups).

The error message I get is that "The BlackBerry ID associated with this backup file doesn't match the BlackBerry ID on this device". However when I try to change the BlackBerry ID on the Z30 to match the one on the Q5, it won't allow me, it says: "This username is already in use. Enter a different username".

So any suggestions? Do I need to perform a full wipe of the Z30 before I can restore the Q5 backup file to it? From what I've read in other threads and on the BB website, I thought that this would be a reasonably straightforward procedure.

Any help you can provide is appreciated. Cheers.
    Last edited by Primal1; 08-04-16 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Formatting, not content
    08-04-16 07:53 AM
    Does your Q5 have a newer OS Version than the Z30?

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    08-04-16 08:00 AM
    Does your Q5 have a newer OS Version than the Z30?
    The Q5 is running 10.3.2.2474 and the Z30 is running 10.3.2.2836, so the Z30's OS is more up-to-date.

Also, the message was quite clear that it was about the BB ID association.
    08-04-16 08:03 AM
    The Q5 is running 10.3.2.2474 and the Z30 is running 10.3.2.2836, so the Z30's OS is more up-to-date.

Also, the message was quite clear that it was about the BB ID association.
    Oh sorry missed that. Yes, you won't be able to restore the backup from one ID account to another. I have two as well.

08-04-16 08:05 AM
    Oh sorry missed that. Yes, you won't be able to restore the backup from one ID account to another. I have two as well.
    Any suggestions?

I can't possibly be the first BlackBerry owner to repurpose an existing device, lol.

Also, according to posts such as this one it would seem that it's something that people do, unless I've misunderstood what they're saying.
    08-04-16 08:08 AM
    I'm wondering if I need disassociate my Q5's BlackBerry ID first, and then associate it with the Z30?

So either create a new one with a different email address and use that on the Q5, or else perform a security wipe of the Q5?
    08-04-16 08:30 AM
    You'll need to wipe the Z30. Enter the same BlackBerry ID account as the one on the Q5.

08-04-16 08:31 AM
    You'll need to wipe the Z30. Enter the same BlackBerry ID account as the one on the Q5.
    The secondary issue as I noted above, is that when I try to change the BlackBerry ID on the Z30 to match the one on the Q5, it won't allow me, it says: "This username is already in use. Enter a different username". So even if I wipe the Z30, why would it let me enter the BBID of the Q5, it still can't be associated with two devices.
    08-04-16 01:46 PM
    There is no issue with associating one BBID with more than one device. The issue is that you cannot change the BBID on a device by way of setting. The only way to do a switch is to wipe the phone first, or reload the OS with an autoloader (which I prefer to wiping the phone). After you do this, you will be prompted to enter a BBID. You can enter whichever BBID you want, regardless if it has already been associated with other device(s).

Caution: you should disable/turn off BlackBerry Protect before wiping the phone or autoloading an OS if you are going to change the BBID.

Posted via CB10
    GPuba likes this.
    08-04-16 08:04 PM
    There is no issue with associating one BBID with more than one device. The issue is that you cannot change the BBID on a device by way of setting. The only way to do a switch is to wipe the phone first, or reload the OS with an autoloader (which I prefer to wiping the phone). After you do this, you will be prompted to enter a BBID. You can enter whichever BBID you want, regardless if it has already been associated with other device(s).

Caution: you should disable/turn off BlackBerry Protect before wiping the phone or autoloading an OS if you are going to change the BBID.

Posted via CB10
    I see.

So just to be clear then: I need to wipe the Z30 (the device I am transferring to), then associate it with the BBID from my Q5 (the device I am transferromg from), and then the Z30 should allow me to restore the Q5 backup that I made earlier.

Is that correct? Or did I get that backwards (i.e. I need to wipe the Q5)?

I'll give it a try. Thanks for explaining that!

Edit: this BB knowledge base article is a bit unclear on that:

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000026694

If you are moving to a new device or tablet you can backup your data, complete a security wipe (to remove the BBID), sign in with the same BBID on the new device, and restore your data.
    It seems to be saying that I need to wipe the old device.
    Last edited by Primal1; 08-04-16 at 08:35 PM.
    08-04-16 08:25 PM
    OK, figured it out. Wiped the Z30, then set it up again using the same BBID as the Q5, then restored the Q5 data using BB Link. All good now.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
    08-04-16 10:45 PM