I have a Z10 on corporate BES10 and my wife just got the Z30 (her contract renewed) on a regular plan. We want to switch phones so that I have the Z30 and my wife has the Z10. My concern is properly making the changeover without losing any data. I had originally been told to just swap the SIM cards, that didn't work so good. I found that I need to do a factory reset to wipe the background data in the phones. So first question, is that all I need to do? I was planning to do a backup with BlackBerry Link for each device and then cross-restoring from the backups. While I don't mind re-keying the few personal contacts each of us has (my work stuff will get restored with no problem), I am VERY concerned about losing my huge database of information in my Password Keeper application. So the second question: does anyone know if that data will be stored as part of the backup?

Right now my understanding of the process would be:
    1. Back-up phones using BlackBerry Link
    2. Factory Reset the phones
    3. Swap SIM cards
    4. Cross-Restore from the back-ups

Oh yeah, and pray that it all works

It should be simple enough, but I am always concerned about the unintended consequences. Has anyone got answers for my two questions above? Please let me know your thoughts and insight.

Cheers!!
    10-28-13 07:16 PM
    I have a Z10 on corporate BES10 and my wife just got the Z30 (her contract renewed) on a regular plan. We want to switch phones so that I have the Z30 and my wife has the Z10. My concern is properly making the changeover without losing any data. I had originally been told to just swap the SIM cards, that didn't work so good. I found that I need to do a factory reset to wipe the background data in the phones. So first question, is that all I need to do? I was planning to do a backup with BlackBerry Link for each device and then cross-restoring from the backups. While I don't mind re-keying the few personal contacts each of us has (my work stuff will get restored with no problem), I am VERY concerned about losing my huge database of information in my Password Keeper application. So the second question: does anyone know if that data will be stored as part of the backup?

Right now my understanding of the process would be:
    1. Back-up phones using BlackBerry Link
    2. Factory Reset the phones
    3. Swap SIM cards
    4. Cross-Restore from the back-ups

Oh yeah, and pray that it all works

It should be simple enough, but I am always concerned about the unintended consequences. Has anyone got answers for my two questions above? Please let me know your thoughts and insight.

Cheers!!
    Before you go through any of this, you might want to alert your BES admin to see if there any policies you may not be aware of.
    Schmurf likes this.
    10-28-13 07:20 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. They simply told me to let them know when I have done the switch and they will re-establish the corporate side.

Do you know what data is saved with a BlackBerry Link backup?
    10-28-13 07:33 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. They simply told me to let them know when I have done the switch and they will re-establish the corporate side.

Do you know what data is saved with a BlackBerry Link backup?
    On a full backup, Settings, Apps (with their data), and Media.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    Schmurf likes this.
    10-28-13 07:36 PM
    Make sure both have the same OS version, or read up on changing the version of a backup. It is not normally possible to restore a backup to an OS older than what it came from.

Posted via CB10
    Schmurf likes this.
    10-28-13 07:41 PM
    Thanks for that. I saw a note on that in a different thread. Both are running the latest official OS: 10.2. Interestingly the Z30 show a "lower" at 10.2.0.210 vs the Z10 at 10.2.0.424. I am presuming that despite the different numbers, they are equivalent.
    10-28-13 07:55 PM
    Okay so now I have a problem with the data transfer. The Z10 is a higher OS than the Z30 (huh??) and BBLink will not restore or switch devices. My only hope is to either get an upgrade for the Z30, or more likely, downgrade the Z10. Has anyone got any ideas on how to do that?
    10-30-13 10:51 PM
    Upgrade the Z30's bar files to match the Z10. Do both backups. Security Wipe both phones. Restore the Z10 from the Z30 backup. Restore the Z30 from the Z10 backup. I assume the 2 phones are using the same carrier?...I assume no responsibility for anything that happens. Just throwing out my 2 cents. Please do some more research... and good luck.

Trusted Member Genius
    10-31-13 02:43 AM
    Upgrade the Z30's bar files to match the Z10. Do both backups. Security Wipe both phones. Restore the Z10 from the Z30 backup. Restore the Z30 from the Z10 backup. I assume the 2 phones are using the same carrier?...I assume no responsibility for anything that happens. You may have some bugs that pop up in one or both phones. Just throwing out my 2 cents. Please do some more research... and good luck.

Trusted Member Genius

Trusted Member Genius
    10-31-13 02:45 AM
    Upgrade your Z30 via a leaked 10.2.0.1791

Do a backup on both phones

Swap SIM Cards

On each phone enter your current BlackBerry ID - this should automatically do a security wipe!

Restore each device

Have fun

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 03:12 AM