If you don't want app notifications, then don't install apps. Just like BB10.

When you choose to install an app, and you don't like its notifications, just turn them off.

It really isn't an issue.
    I have apps on my Q10. For example, I have Google Talk and use it every day. Yes, it still works, has great Hub integration, and it has never delivered me an ad.
    09-10-17 05:27 PM
    I have apps on my Q10. For example, I have Google Talk and use it every day. Yes, it still works, has great Hub integration, and it has never delivered me an ad.
    Not relevant to the conversation. Many BB10 apps as well as Android and iOS have ads; this thread is about the notifications accessed via the notification shade and their sounds, if included or enabled.
    09-10-17 05:46 PM

When you choose to install an app, and you don't like its notifications, just turn them off.

Yes, there's no need to make it a bigger issue than it is. It's a symptom of the decentralization of the app model.

What I am really liking about the KEYone is that BlackBerry has provided a very clean launcher and set of tools to help prioritize the "traditional" BlackBerry PIM functions. Once I get everything dialed in, I'm hopeful that I will be able to largely ignore a lot of the things I don't particularly like about Android.

The key thing for me is to use as few apps as possible, and make sure that they are reputable and of high quality.

My biggest problem with Android is that I don't trust most of the apps in the Google Play store to be secure or trustworthy. I take a "whitelist" approach where each app I allow has to meet a set of criteria, which includes the following:

-- Robust encryption scheme
    -- Documented policies for security, resiliency, and privacy available on demand, though not necessarily published on the Web
    -- Reputable ownership (preferably publicly held)
    -- Ad free (I'll use a private browser with session-only cookies for ad-supported media)
    -- US, Canadian, or EU-based
    -- In business for at least 3 years

Obviously, none of those criteria is any kind of guarantee against accidental or malicious cyber events impacting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of my data, and I know I'm excluding some great firms and individuals who don't meet my criteria, but, as a policy, it is something I can defend to my clients.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-10-17 08:05 PM
    Setting a customized ringtone is so much easier in bb10 then in Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-17 08:37 PM
    Setting a customized ringtone is so much easier in bb10 then in Android.

Posted via CB10
    BB10: open Contacts -> select contact -> edit -> select Phone Calls, Email Messages, Text Messages, or Other Messaging -> select Ringtone (be sure to set the profile setting as well, and choose LED if applicable) -> swipe back twice -> tap Save.

Android: open Contacts ->select contact -> edit -> tap More -> tap Ringtone or Notifications to add the field -> tap newly added option -> choose tone -> tap OK -> tap Save.

Nearly identical if you ask me.
    09-10-17 10:25 PM

It really is that simple if anyone wants to take the time out of their day to tweak and adjust their settings.
    I would switch to android if I was the type of person who likes the blather of television commercials on 10. Yes, I realize I could keep hitting the mute button to silence those commercials (akin to spending endless time trying to tweak android to an enjoyable experience), but no thanks. I don't want another job in my off hours. I'll stay on BlackBerry 10.
    Like Conite said, if you decide to install an app you will need to adjust the settings at the get-go to avoid annoying ads. Yes there are apps installed by default and those are frustrating if you are new to Android. I believe that the adjustment to the OS takes time and attention to learning to set your settings so that the OS works the way you would like.

This whole thread basically revolves around being able to adjust your settings and taking the time to research and dig into the OS so to understand what works best for you.

BB10 compared to Android are two different animals with one being targeted towards consumers where most settings have you opted in, opposed to BB10 that is more business and productivity oriented letting you add features you would desire opted out by default.

I do have to agree on one point that Android should require a tighter set of rules to be adhered to for adds and notifications, not sure what the problem is requiring developers to keep their apps more uniform. I guess that is the complaint with an OS that is ads driven compared to BB10 which was designed to be more productive for the user.
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 09-11-17 at 07:19 PM.
    09-11-17 10:47 AM
    I do have to agree on one point that Android should require a tighter set of rules to be adhered to for adds and notifications, not sure what the problem is requiring developers to keep their apps more uniform. I guess that is the complaint with an OS that is ads driven compared to BB10 which was designed to be more productive for the user.
    Android used to have much lower standard for notifications. A couple of years ago, apps (especially games) would give notifications with ads for other games.

Now apps must only give notifications related to itself like in-app promotions or discounts, but not related to other apps/services.

The bottom line is that Android has an app centric notification model where notifications types are controlled by the app itself and not the OS. However, the OS has the power to limit where/when the notifications will be displayed on a pet app basis.
    09-12-17 03:57 AM
    My biggest issue with the Android notifications is that the apps which don't allow custom notification sounds within the app all end up with the same alert sound. I don't want to turn the notifications for them off, but I do want them to be different so I know if I need to bother picking up my phone. On BB10, I could have some apps only light the LED, some would also vibrate and others would have unique sounds. I knew right away it was something I should act on quickly, or just something I needed to know.
    09-12-17 08:13 AM
    One of the reasons I stuck with BlackBerry for as long as I did was because of the notifications. I get that android leaves it up to the apps to do their thing. While BB10 centralized the settings - basically, if the app had notifications, it would show up in the BB10 notification settings list and you set what it did right there in one spot - the sound and how loud, vibrate or not, and what LED color to use.

I now use an S8, and it's a lot better than it used to be. But it is still inconsistent.

Android leaves it up to the app to decide many of those things, and what it does is not consistent. For example, the USA Today app simply has an on or off setting, but nothimg else - can't set the sound to use and it vibrates by default with no way to turn that off if you want just the sound. So I turned it all off except the status bar icon at the top. At least the OS has ways to just turn an apps notification off completely - and I've done that with almost all but a few - or to allow the on-screen notifications while otherwise silenced.

I am glad android separates notification sounds from media and from ringtones.

What I do miss from BB10 is the ability to individually set the volume of each notification. I like my email sounds to be very quiet, while my text sound needs to be a good bit louder. Android treats email and texts sounds the same and can't be set separately. To compensate, I modified the loudness of my sounds (some carried over from BB10 and BBOS 6 and 4.5) - making louder and quieter versions of the ones I use.

The LED is another matter. The S8 has one, and I like that the Hub for Android can use it, but it has its limits. I tried Light Flow, but it seems the brightness is so low that it can't get the right blend to show other colors very well beyond the three it has (red, green and blue).

I've now got the S8 to the same level of noise making as I had my Z10. But it took a lot more hunting and tinkering around to do it.

Remember though that a lot of that customization on BB10 wasn't there at first either. Not compared to BBOS before it. Bedside mode didn't even exist in 10.0. It took 10.1 for it to show up. And I forget when BB10 allowed LED customization without an app, but it didn't start out with that capability. Nor did BB10 start out with separate notification volume settings.
    09-12-17 09:20 AM
34 12