I reluctantly made the switch to an Android phone recently (Samsung S8+) and I am truly amazed that BB10 is leaps and bounds better at handling notifications.

On my Passport, I could not only determine if every single app was allowed to notify, but I could set the sound, vibration and even LED separately for each app - and better still I could do it all in one place.

On Android, I can determine which apps will notify in a unified location, but to set the actual notification options requires doing so in each app and some don't give any options.

With as much as people hold up Android as being so customizable, I can't believe they are so far behind BlackBerry on notifications. It's the biggest thing I miss from my Passport.
    09-08-17 06:54 AM
    Some don't, true; but that's up to the developer. I notice you're excluding the apps with notifications per account in this assessment.
    09-08-17 07:47 AM
    Thats the android Os. An Inferior Os. Long live BB10!

Posted via CB10
    09-08-17 01:57 PM
    Thats the android Os. An Inferior Os. Long live BB10!

Posted via CB10
    It is not the OS, stop with the misinformation. Gmail, Inbox, Aquamail, Twitter, a few others have per account notifications; other apps have a single global setting. Unfortunately there's a few apps, like BBM, in where their developers failed to add the option to change notifications.
    09-08-17 02:30 PM
    It is not the OS, stop with the misinformation. Gmail, Inbox, Aquamail, Twitter, a few others have per account notifications; other apps have a single global setting. Unfortunately there's a few apps, like BBM, in where their developers failed to add the option to change notifications.
    Even though what you claim is the situation on Android, then is it possible that BB10 does offer a built-in method to customizing notifications regardless of what the developers on BB10 have implemented?
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 09-09-17 at 06:39 PM.
    09-09-17 02:52 AM
    I believe that's going to change to some extent with Oreo?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-17 03:21 AM
    Even though what you claim is the situation on Android, then is it possible that BB10 does offer a built-in method to customizing notifications regardless of what the developers on BB10 have implemented?
    BB10 does have those options for most apps, but can also cause them to screw up because they override the app setting(s) if the app has its own. However, that wasn't the point - the point is that the OP thought there isn't any options in Android, which is incorrect.
    09-09-17 11:46 PM
    I believe that's going to change to some extent with Oreo?

Posted via CB10
    Oreo will add even more options to what's already present.
    09-09-17 11:47 PM
    BB10 does have those options for most apps, but can also cause them to screw up because they override the app setting(s) if the app has its own. However, that wasn't the point - the point is that the OP thought there isn't any options in Android, which is incorrect.
    Hmm... interesting....... I've not had any problems or screw-ups in the three years that I've enjoyed using BB10 but good to know
    09-10-17 09:56 AM
    Hmm... interesting....... I've not had any problems or screw-ups in the three years that I've enjoyed using BB10 but good to know
    Me neither, always suspected user error for those that experienced it. While quite lacking compared to legacy BBOS, BB10's notifications are more fleshed out than Android in that they could be configured per app on a per-profile basis all in one spot, but it gets a little convoluted when setting up custom rings to still alert on any of the sound profiles and this I believe is where some users encountered problems. Android has a much simpler solution with Favorites, which ring through on Do Not Disturb if set. Also, for Google's own apps the notification settings are accessible in almost identical fashion via Settings as it is in BB10. Here's hoping Oreo expands on that, but I haven't read if that's the case or not.
    09-10-17 12:45 PM
    My experience is that BB10 focuses on configuring the user experience through the OS, while Android delegates configuration to app developer choices.

I find notifications in Android to be a diffuse mess. I don't want most of the notifications I receive, many of which are either marketing messages, disguised as app notifications; update notifications, which I don't want or need to see, since I prefer to check for updates on my schedule; or vague and unactionable system messages complaining that I should take some action that I've already decided not to take.

Overall, I find Android just plain noisy and distracting by default compared to BB10. It's like having an annoying assistant who is always at your elbow, prattling away with useless information and asking for direction.

BB10 was more like a veteran subordinate who only gave me stuff I wanted or needed.

I have no doubt that I can whip Android into shape by configuring (or deleting!) apps that bug me needlessly, but I get the feeling that Android app developers all think their apps are the center of the universe and deserve my constant attention.

To them, I'd like to say, don't call me, I'll call you when I want you.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-10-17 01:01 PM
    My experience is that BB10 focuses on configuring the user experience through the OS, while Android delegates configuration to app developer choices.

I find notifications in Android to be a diffuse mess. I don't want most of the notifications I receive, many of which are either marketing messages, disguised as app notifications; update notifications, which I don't want or need to see, since I prefer to check for updates on my schedule; or vague and unactionable system messages complaining that I should take some action that I've already decided not to take.

Overall, I find Android just plain noisy and distracting by default compared to BB10. It's like having an annoying assistant when is always at your elbow, P rattling away with useless information and asking for direction.

BB10 was more like a veteran subordinate who only gave me stuff I wanted or needed.

I have no doubt that I can whip Android into shape by configuring (or deleting!) apps that bug me needlessly, but I get the feeling that Android app developers all think their apps are the center of the universe and deserve my constant attention.

Or you can go into Settings -> Notifications -> Apps and shut off whatever you don't want to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Switched to Android -  miss my BB10 notification options-screenshot_2017-09-10-13-04-09.jpg  
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-10-17 01:05 PM
    Or you can go into Settings -> Notifications -> Apps and shut off whatever you don't want to see.
    Which I'm doing. That's why I said Android is "noisy by default."

The fact that Android is highly configurable shouldn't mean that it's loose and chaotic by default, IMO.

09-10-17 01:11 PM

The fact that Android is highly configurable shouldn't mean that it's loose and chaotic by default, IMO.

BB10 would have been the same had the same third party apps been able to work, or had been updated to current standards.

BB10 is only quiet because the ecosystem is quiet.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-10-17 01:15 PM

Overall, I find Android just plain noisy and distracting by default compared to BB10. It's like having an annoying assistant who is always at your elbow, prattling away with useless information and asking for direction.

Agreed with everything you said but what you described is much to do with Android's default settings which have you opted in and you have to opt out of all the unnecessary notifications.

I have managed to quiet my experience down to a manageable level where I only get some advertisements that I reluctantly agreed to view. 50% of the time I just swipe the advertisement away and the other 50% I did not think to look for and am that much more informed on the topics I've designated to be if interest.

The steps Fret set out in his reply work well.
    09-10-17 01:16 PM
    BB10 would have been the same had the same third party apps been able to work, or had been updated to current standards.

BB10 is only quiet because the ecosystem is quiet.
    I'll concede that point, with the caveat that what I like most about BB10 is that it didn't require much of an "ecosystem" to be really, really useful. A lousy business model? Absolutely. But a pleasure to use, nonetheless.

Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    09-10-17 01:26 PM
    Agreed with everything you said but what you described is much to do with Android's default settings which have you opted in and you have to opt out of all the unnecessary notifications.

I have managed to quiet my experience down to a manageable level where I only get some advertisements that I reluctantly agreed to view. 50% of the time I just swipe the advertisement away and the other 50% I did not think to look for and am that much more informed on the topics I've designated to be if interest.

The steps Fret set out in his reply work well.
    Yep. My issue is with the lack of QC for the default user experience. You can just tell that no one feels responsible for the overall integration of apps on the platform. It's a free for all.

09-10-17 01:29 PM
    I'll concede that point, with the caveat that what I like most about BB10 is that it didn't require much of an "ecosystem" to be really, really useful. A lousy business model? Absolutely. But a pleasure to use, nonetheless.

I appreciate some see it that way.

For me though, "default" just means "lack of choice", or " lowest common denominator".
    09-10-17 01:32 PM
    I appreciate some see it that way.

For me though, "default" just means "lack of choice", or " lowest common denominator".
    Yes, but you are on the far right tail of the user sophistication curve! :-)

I am all for flexibility and customization, but I'd prefer that the default UX be carefully thought through to minimize the need for customization.

I recently joined a cybersecurity resiliency consulting firm, and have been doing a lot of consulting in cybersecurity lately. A frequent cause of breaches is that systems are needlessly complex for the average user. Certainly users should be better trained, but systems should also be better engineered!

09-10-17 01:37 PM

True; it's been long enough that I don't think of it in day-to-day use.
    09-10-17 03:29 PM
    Yes, but you are on the far right tail of the user sophistication curve! :-)

I am all for flexibility and customization, but I'd prefer that the default UX be carefully thought through to minimize the need for customization.

I recently joined a cybersecurity resiliency consulting firm, and have been doing a lot of consulting in cybersecurity lately. A frequent cause of breaches is that systems are needlessly complex for the average user. Certainly users should be better trained, but systems should also be better engineered!

I agree with this pretty much--android is getting overly complex for many--just ask my wife, lol who just switched from a Passport to a Huawei P10. And she has used android devices before. BB10 was a happy medium, between the spoonfed iOS and the overly complex (my humble opinion) android system she has now. It is taking us forever to get stuff set up even with the excellent help here on CB.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-17 03:35 PM
    I would switch to android if I was the type of person who likes the blather of television commercials on 10. Yes, I realize I could keep hitting the mute button to silence those commercials (akin to spending endless time trying to tweak android to an enjoyable experience), but no thanks. I don't want another job in my off hours. I'll stay on BlackBerry 10.
    09-10-17 05:06 PM
    I would switch to android if I was the type of person who likes the blather of television commercials on 10. Yes, I realize I could keep hitting the mute button to silence those commercials (akin to spending endless time trying to tweak android to an enjoyable experience), but no thanks. I don't want another job in my off hours. I'll stay on BlackBerry 10.
    I don't quite follow this.
    09-10-17 05:16 PM
    If you don't want app notifications, then don't install apps. Just like BB10.

When you choose to install an app, and you don't like its notifications, just turn them off.

It really isn't an issue.
    09-10-17 05:24 PM
    Just imagine how awesome you be with a flip phone.
    09-10-17 05:27 PM
34 12