I am sure somewhere in these forums this has been discussed to death. But i did a quick search and didn't see it so I'm asking. Will BB10 let us swipe between open apps like we do on the playbook? I find this to be a huge feature as i am constantly flipping back and forth between apps .. online banking and budget app or email and a webpage, etc. I know in BB10 you can swipe up and quickly go to another "open" app. but I haven't seen any videos with someone actually swiping left or right to flick to the next open app.
    01-18-13 02:58 PM
    On playbook, you can swipe from left or right to change app, this feature won't be available (if as the dev alpha) .

On the other hand, on the PlayBook, you can swipe up to minimize the app and change app, you have this feature on BB10.

Nicolas
    01-18-13 03:02 PM
    Well I have to be honest and say if I can't swipe left or right to flick between apps... Then that just sucks.

Swipe up and tap another icon.. That really isn't much better than tapping the home button and tapping another app on those other phones....
    01-18-13 03:19 PM
    The swipe left is used for flow gesture and to see the HUB.

RIM wants to remove the idea about one Window per application, so you don't need to switch all the time between the application.

Here sample :
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S9iGL...GLNP3fxg&gl=FR

Nicolas
    01-18-13 03:28 PM
    I've been meaning to do some research but haven't had time as I'm curious if BB10 works in both portrait and landscape mode on the Dev devices.. ..and how does it look? I'm curious what RIM will do BB10 it on the PlayBook version. As another poster pointed out, I love the swipe left/right to switch between apps... maybe RIM will keep that on the PlayBook or invent something even better.. *fingers crossed*
    01-18-13 03:28 PM
    But it is one window per app....

If I have the browser open and want to get over to another open app the side swipe is faster than the swipe up and tap.

I like the hub being available with a swipe. But they sacrificed ease of accessing all open apps for the sake of easily accessing the hub...

I will of course keep an open mind.. But I'm disappointed with the lake of swipe for app navigation
    01-18-13 03:36 PM
    No, in one Window you can invoke several applications

Sample: From file manager, you open a photo (you stay in the file manager window) but you are in the image viewer application.
    Then you invoke Dropbox to save on your cloud. Dropbox is still in the same window. At last you invoke BBM. And always in the same window.

To come back to application caller, just do a swipe left.

So the swipe right is available...

Nicolas
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    01-18-13 03:56 PM
    I believe in a BB10 preview video somewhere someone said side bezel gestures just did not work well on a phone so RIM had to come up with the new gesture. I imagine it's because side bezels on a phone in portrait are pretty skinny and a case will be covering part of the bezel too. Also, your thumb/finger to screen ratio is way different so I would think it would be a lot easier to get false positives.

I could be remembering this completely wrong though.

I got hooked on RIM because of the Playbook. So it's kind of sad, but I think RIM made the right choice not trying to make a tiny Playbook. I like what I'm seeing with the Hub getting gesture priority. The number one thing I do with my phone is communicate and manage my agenda.
    Last edited by Stocklone; 01-18-13 at 05:00 PM. Reason: missing word
    01-18-13 03:59 PM
    The BB10 has been designed for communication at the core, hence the swipe to hub. That alone has me supper excited. Swipe, peak, enter, respond and flow back to what you were doing.. can't get better then that.. I hear what your saying about the playbook but I think this is going to be way better in the long run.. And who know we may be surprised with more goodies on Jan 30...
    01-18-13 04:01 PM

If I have the browser open and want to get over to another open app the side swipe is faster than the swipe up and tap.

I like the hub being available with a swipe. But they sacrificed ease of accessing all open apps for the sake of easily accessing the hub...

I will of course keep an open mind.. But I'm disappointed with the lake of swipe for app navigation
    I see your point but there are only so many ways to swipe and both left and right have their inteded feature. Now try this (I just did) open a couple of apps, swipe between them, and tell me what you have to do... You either wait the couple of seconds for that app to engage in the screen or you tap it to make it so. A swipe up to minimize and a tap will be just as quick. Now open 4... it takes 4 swipes to go from end to end, regardless of which one I used last. With the active frames, it will be much quicker and efficient when having multiple apps open.
    kozmo68, Stocklone and Rello like this.
    01-18-13 04:01 PM

I have heard rumors that this is something they are looking at, while it probably won't work like the playbook (which personally questions how comfortable I will feel with pb with it having a new UX with BB10) supposedly it will be seamless to switch between opened apps with gestures or so although it won't be the same way as the playbook however it is likely to come in a future update and even then that is only if the rumor has some weight to it.
    01-18-13 04:02 PM
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Great community we have here and always so willing to help each other.

I am also super excited about BB10. As an enterprise customer I am on a list to receive a free phone once they are available from my carrier. Can't wait for that!
    cjcampbell, Stocklone and kozmo68 like this.
    01-18-13 04:08 PM
    No, in one Window you can invoke several applications

Sample: From file manager, you open a photo (you stay in the file manager window) but you are in the image viewer application.
    Then you invoke Dropbox to save on your cloud. Dropbox is still in the same window. At last you invoke BBM. And always in the same window.

To come back to application caller, just do a swipe left.

So the swipe right is available...

Nicolas
    That's nothing to do with what he's asking. Invocation is for initiating related tasks and all major platforms can already do this. What the OP wants to do is switch between running tasks regardless of whether they're related.
    01-18-13 06:21 PM
    But the swipe to hub is UP => Right you can't get to the hub swiping directly from the left bezel :/ so bezel swipes from the sides are totally unused. Also the top down swipe is pretty much useless because of the bottom navigation bar in which you can pretty much cram any settings in the contextual menu (the 3 dots opposite the back button) or directly on the bar itself. For a gesture centric OS I think the gestures are very much underutilised.
    /r
    01-18-13 06:55 PM
    But the swipe to hub is UP => Right you can't get to the hub swiping directly from the left bezel :/ so bezel swipes from the sides are totally unused. Also the top down swipe is pretty much useless because of the bottom navigation bar in which you can pretty much cram any settings in the contextual menu (the 3 dots opposite the back button) or directly on the bar itself. For a gesture centric OS I think the gestures are very much underutilised.
    /r
    The less gestures that are used for the OS, the more that can be used for apps. I think it good that the horizontal bezels are free because my favorite Android apps use bezel gestures to great effect.
    01-18-13 07:12 PM
    link does not work , help thnx
    01-18-13 07:57 PM
    This is a good thread, I too want to know how I will because say for example,I was checking my bank online with the Chase App, and I get the verification code. Well, with OS7, I have to hit menu switch application and go to my messages to pull up the verification code. Then I have to Log Back In to my bank online for security reasons. Will BlackBerry 10 be able to keep the Chase app running in the active frame while I peek and move into the Hub to copy and paste the code without having to re log in to Chase?
    01-19-13 12:17 AM
    This is a good thread, I too want to know how I will because say for example,I was checking my bank online with the Chase App, and I get the verification code. Well, with OS7, I have to hit menu switch application and go to my messages to pull up the verification code. Then I have to Log Back In to my bank online for security reasons. Will BlackBerry 10 be able to keep the Chase app running in the active frame while I peek and move into the Hub to copy and paste the code without having to re log in to Chase?
    For sure! Absolutely no question about that. (If there is a Chase App, anyway.)
    01-19-13 08:04 AM
    I believe in a BB10 preview video somewhere someone said side bezel gestures just did not work well on a phone so RIM had to come up with the new gesture. I imagine it's because side bezels on a phone in portrait are pretty skinny and a case will be covering part of the bezel too. Also, your thumb/finger to screen ratio is way different so I would think it would be a lot easier to get false positives.

I could be remembering this completely wrong though.

I got hooked on RIM because of the Playbook. So it's kind of sad, but I think RIM made the right choice not trying to make a tiny Playbook. I like what I'm seeing with the Hub getting gesture priority. The number one thing I do with my phone is communicate and manage my agenda.
    Exactly. It would be so easy to accidentally switch apps if Rim kept that gesture. Using my Playbook now I like to switch apps like on BB10 (swipe up and then tap another one). It still flows well and is really intuitive so I don't think it's a problem. Also, the swipe up gesture means that 4 of your apps are a tap away, whereas with the playbook side to side gesture you can only get to, at most, two apps in a single swipe. If the app you want to switch to is further away, it will take multiple swipes, and if the app you are in is the first or last app, then you can only access one other app with a single swipe. I think the swipe up to minimize is much more suitable for a phone. Just my 2 cents
    01-19-13 09:57 AM
    I love the Chase app, but I hate the fact that u have to go thru your example in your post, and the fact that it takes forever to start when u first launch it. I am also hoping BB10 solves these problems provided there is a Chase app
    01-19-13 01:04 PM