I really think the swipe down gesture for bb10 should always bring down the phone settings no matter where you are in the phone. Whether it be on the main screen, in the hub, or in an app. The only one of these that it doesn't currently do is in apps. In apps the swipe down brings up the settings. I really believe it would be more Beneficial to the user if the settings in all apps would be located in the button at the bottom right portion of the screen. I think this would make the user interface a lot more friendly and easy to use. I can't stress it enough.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 12:04 PM
    Hmm, interesting.

I think since 'settings' are virtually in the same place for ALL apps and the device itself, it keeps it consistent in a way, no?
    05-09-13 12:13 PM
    It's too late now because swiping down in an app will bring the menu down of the app. "Swipe Down from the top bezel" is not a system wide trigger, but rather an in app trigger. For them to change it at this point would be to **** off many many developers, as well as losing the functionality of having a menu. No physical button means no menu button. The "Swipe down" is the really the replacement of the menu button.
    05-09-13 12:16 PM
    What bugs me though, is in things like the browser, the "Settings" button is in the right side menu. I think this is because when you swipe down in the browser, it gives you the browser's page information, but still seems awkward that the settings menu is in a different location.

The PlayBook uses a diagonal swipe from the top corners to reveal the main "bar" and then you can click that bar to access settings really easily. The swipe diagonally gesture is not widely used in BB10, though (I can only think of the Hub "reset" gesture to be honest), but it seems like it could/should be implemented in the same way as it is on the PlayBook.
    05-09-13 12:26 PM
    Ya that's my main point. It's not consistent throughout everything. Some native apps like the browser does not use the settings swipe down and it just makes the operating system seem not well thought out and awkward. Consistency is key for ease of use.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 12:48 PM
    And I agree with you that some developers would be upset about the change. But it's the beginning of the os and there's a lot more in the way. Android apps as far as I know only use the button on the right for all of their options so I think by doing this it would make it easier for app developers to create their apps natively. But I could be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 01:07 PM
    How hard is it to swipe up and then down?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 03:08 PM
    What if you were to swipe down, for an app setting but then if while doing that, you swipe right, it would replace the settings for the app with the phone setting?

Similar to how you swipe up then right, you go to the hub. But if you swipe down and right, you see the system settings.

I think that's the best solution.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 03:17 PM
    The swipe down function doesn't only have to show the settings for the phone it can also show the music your playing and other things rather than the settings for the app itself.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 11:16 PM
    Swipe down 1/4 to halfway down home screen: Settings as is (or better).

Swipe down all the way from home screen: Lock phone.

If swipe up unlocks, why shouldn't swipe down lock?
    06-26-13 03:41 AM
    they could just bring the PB top corner swipe downs.
    06-26-13 07:37 AM
    I really hope this comes with 10.3. I realize that this would cause a lot of app creators angry however if BlackBerry were to create an easy way for them to convert their apps with one step or two that may help with the transition.
    I'm not a programmer by any means so don't know how that would be done but I think this would make it so much easier to use.
    If they could include like the music player with the swipe down as well would be awesome and maybe a couple other things too. That way we could take out that annoying volume up and down frame that goes into the center of the screen when you turn up or down the volume.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 12:36 AM
    I really hope this comes with 10.3. I realize that this would cause a lot of app creators angry however if BlackBerry were to create an easy way for them to convert their apps with one step or two that may help with the transition.
    I'm not a programmer by any means so don't know how that would be done but I think this would make it so much easier to use.
    If they could include like the music player with the swipe down as well would be awesome and maybe a couple other things too. That way we could take out that annoying volume up and down frame that goes into the center of the screen when you turn up or down the volume.

Posted via CB10
    I font agree with what you're saying completely, I think settings being at the top for everything is consistent across the o's.

But I agree those settings from the home screen can be easier accessed, less say when you peak all 6 buttons appear at the top of the screen(no words) if it wasn't so late I'd make a render. I think that would keep with the peek of bb10, and add easy access to those quick settings/menu.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    10-30-13 01:50 AM