Thank you all for your replies. I'm sticking with my Z30 until the wheels come off. Then I'm kicking around the idea of getting a KEYone.

I'm just nervous about going over the the "dark side" with Android OS.
    Just do it. It is different, but it is really nice to get more out of your phone. I felt like my Q10 had kept me in the dark ages now that I have been using a KEYone for a little while.
    12-22-17 09:46 AM
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm sticking with my Z30 until the wheels come off. Then I'm kicking around the idea of getting a KEYone.

If you only knew the power...
    Attached Thumbnails Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry-41243.jpg  
    12-22-17 09:50 AM
    ...I felt like my Q10 had kept me in the dark ages...
    Sometimes it is all one needs. I myself would definitely use a very stupid s40 nokia if I wasn't addicted to email stuff so much.

Anyway, congratulate you with your new handset!
    12-22-17 10:06 AM
    We need a blackberry server emulator which will allow users to run a virtual bb world & activation service on a local server.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-17 11:47 AM
    I agree that Android is terrible. How did THAT ever grow so big when bb was so superior?
    12-22-17 06:53 PM
    I agree that Android is terrible. How did THAT ever grow so big when bb was so superior?
    Perhaps you need to question your assumptions.

"Superiority" takes many forms.
    john_v likes this.
    12-22-17 06:55 PM
    Is this perhaps virtue signalling?
    12-22-17 08:02 PM
    We need a blackberry server emulator which will allow users to run a virtual bb world & activation service on a local server.

Posted via CB10
    That seems like orders of magnitude more effort than just moving on.
    john_v likes this.
    12-22-17 08:07 PM
    Is this perhaps virtue signalling?
    In this case I'm gonna have to say probably not
    12-22-17 08:08 PM
    That seems like orders of magnitude more effort than just moving on.
    Given that we're talking about enthusiasts / cultists here, I don't think that matters. I still have a CP/M emulator on my laptop for no good reason.

Posted via CB10
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    12-23-17 06:24 AM
    Given that we're talking about enthusiasts / cultists here, I don't think that matters. I still have a CP/M emulator on my laptop for no good reason.

Posted via CB10
    That would need either a successful reverse engineering of the server infrastructure from scratch (not likely), or BB to at the very least open up part of their byzantine infrastructure (even less likely).
    12-23-17 08:02 AM

Just tried it. I picked an older phone (Android 6) for a cheap trial. Former flagship so no slouch. Also specifically chose one that has its own apps (email, text, calendar, etc) so I do not need explicit connection to Google. Apps were transferred from Z30 with Cobalt or temporary play store account. Android OS itself is pretty sparse, unlike BB10, you absolutely need apps to fill in the gap, even for a "No app" guy like me. UI is also not as nice, lots of inconsistent behaviours and such. I was not loving it.

It is usable without any Google account so that remains a future option for me.
    I asked all my colleagues how they put up with such a crappy platform, the common answer was "we don't know any better, we never tried anything else"... and that's pretty much how all other alternatives failed, not because of a conscious consumer choice, but because they were not given any other options. (when 99% of phones come with Android, who is going to actively seeking out other options, regardless of app availability)?
    On the side of the manufacturer, will you pick a free OS or something you need to pay a license fee for especially knowing your customers couldn't care less?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-23-17 12:46 PM
    I asked all my colleagues how they put up with such a crappy platform, the common answer was "we don't know any better, we never tried anything else"... and that's pretty much how all other alternatives failed, not because of a conscious consumer choice, but because they were not given any other options.
    Can we stop doing this? If you prefer BB10 for your use case, fabulous.

Me, and millions of others are perfectly aware of the existence of BB10, have used it extensively, but still quite like Android just as much or more.
    12-23-17 02:26 PM
    Just tried it. I picked an older phone (Android 6) for a cheap trial. Former flagship so no slouch. Also specifically chose one that has its own apps (email, text, calendar, etc) so I do not need explicit connection to Google. Apps were transferred from Z30 with Cobalt or temporary play store account. Android OS itself is pretty sparse, unlike BB10, you absolutely need apps to fill in the gap, even for a "No app" guy like me. UI is also not as nice, lots of inconsistent behaviours and such. I was not loving it.

It is usable without any Google account so that remains a future option for me.
    I asked all my colleagues how they put up with such a crappy platform, the common answer was "we don't know any better, we never tried anything else"... and that's pretty much how all other alternatives failed, not because of a conscious consumer choice, but because they were not given any other options. (when 99% of phones come with Android, who is going to actively seeking out other options, regardless of app availability)?
    On the side of the manufacturer, will you pick a free OS or something you need to pay a license fee for especially knowing your customers couldn't care less?
    Maybe you and your friend should give a try to Apple OS.
    12-23-17 02:36 PM

Me, and millions of others are perfectly aware of the existence of BB10, have used it extensively, but still quite like Android just as much or more.
    Agree 100%

People need to add the simple, "in my opinion" rather than stating subjective views in the form of objective facts.

Anyone who wants to claim that one platform is objectively superior or inferior to another really needs to, at a minimum, define the criteria and give evidence. (like that would ever happen around here!)

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-23-17 at 05:03 PM.
    12-23-17 02:39 PM
    First of all, know what? My heart is bleeding since the death of Symbian OS. I really think it was the best mobile OS in history. One could control a submarine from a phone running Symbian.

I totally dislike Android. Nevertheless I like iOS when I am watching videos or surfing the Internet before go to sleep. And I absolutely, 100% addicted to BB10 when it's time to work. All above is my subjective stand.

So, I agree with Conite: everyone chooses what he/she wants. And none may blame another for his/her choice.
    anon(9803228) and Sarek1701 like this.
    12-23-17 03:58 PM
    First of all, know what? My heart is bleeding since the death of Symbian OS. I really think it was the best mobile OS in history. One could control a submarine from a phone running Symbian.

I totally dislike Android. Nevertheless I like iOS when I am watching videos or surfing the Internet before go to sleep. And I absolutely, 100% addicted to BB10 when it's time to work. All above is my subjective stand.

So, I agree with Conite: everyone chooses what he/she wants. And none may blame another for his/her choice.
    I am also an omnivore when it comes to platforms. I keep 6 active in my life.

1) For watching downloaded videos and listening to downloaded music and audiobooks during my commute, I still love my PlayBook for its amazing screen and sound quality.

2) For streaming video via all manner of streaming services I like my iPad Air. I find iOS works best when minimizing task switching. It's a one app at a time platform for me. I also use my iPad as a metronome for music practice

3) Reading online news: BB10 Passport in native browser with reader mode.

4) Mainstream mobile apps: KEYone

5) Composing and editing text and email handling: Z10

6) Serious computer work: my mobile workstation laptop PC with Windows 10 Workstation software and a hexacore Xeon processor / 32 GB of memory and high-end Quadra card.

PS: I don't really like the camera on any of these, but I'll use whichever one is nearby for casual photography. Anything I care about is shot on a Nikon DSLR.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-23-17 at 05:37 PM.
    12-23-17 05:14 PM

True, but I do think that price is a very important factor. I truly think that if price was not an issue, 70% of people would buy an iPhone.
    12-23-17 06:03 PM
    Same reason I still buy 40 year computers. https://i.imgur.com/Z7va3Glh.jpg
    And I thought I had issues
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-23-17 06:18 PM
    True, but I do think that price is a very important factor. I truly think that if price was not an issue, 70% of people would buy an iPhone.
    That number is probably low.
    12-23-17 06:24 PM
    Nah. There are too many smartphone enthusiasts out there. IPhone is for the traditional "user".
    12-24-17 12:09 AM
    As others have said the phone and SMS will continue to work. The hub is a different matter.
    Where you will run into problems is with other hub enabled applications. As the backend protocols change to support new features and BB10 updates are not forthcoming they will degrade and fail, if they aren't disabled outright.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    So other than the built in browser, is there any consensus on what else might mess up? Once the BlackBerry World dies, will you be able to log into the Link software on your Windows 7 or Win8.1 PC to sync? Is there a way to download the files for the different apps I use in case I need to "fix" one by the delete & reinstall method?

I've never needed to try that from my PC since obviously once I deleted an app I could always just reboot my Q10 and then download the app again. So the only thing I've done was do a full backup before a factory reset & then use the backup to restore the phone. Once it was a new Q10 when I did a warranty exchange, but same method worked.

My primary needs are met with the phone itself, text & I store info I regularly need in the Remember app that came with the device.

After that I mostly use the CB app, with intermittent use of an emojii app for my texts, plus a few simple apps for weather, reading e-books stored on the micro SD card & the music app from the initial apps that are core features. If music formats changed significantly it seems that the music app would still play the MP3's & the camera will still take pictures. Opinions?

(and no, I'm never getting any android device, so I won't migrate to Priv. I'd rather get a flip phone!)

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    12-24-17 03:07 AM

I think it's because the users in this thread & a few others ARE fully aware of the existence of other OS choices but are instead trying to get the maximum use still available for their BB10 devices. For whatever reason they choose NOT to migrate to the other options either because they've tried them & dislike the way they require extra steps to do simple things or have other reasons.

I doubt that any come to a BlackBerry oriented site because they enjoy being constantly put down or told what they "should" do. They (besides the ones who try to say BlackBerry owes them something) just wanted input on the easiest way to get by for as long as they can. I originally started carrying a smart phone so I didn't have to carry my Palm Pilot or the Day Runner before it PLUS a cell. If I have to do it, once I can't get enough connectivity with the Classic I'm getting soon, I will probably get a cheap flip phone if I can't make calls & continue using my BlackBerry as a modern version of the Palm Pilot.

Different strokes for different folks!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    12-24-17 03:27 AM
    We need to remember, guys, that once upon a time in 2011 or so Nokia has made a statement it will support Symbian until 2016. And... seems we all know what happened. So, when BlackBerry says the support of BB10 will last for two years, it is not really for sure.
    12-24-17 04:09 AM
    i am happy with 2 years down to the road: (1) BB10 is strip down QNX (in order to run it on handset with limited battery... QNX is from industry platform that machine plug in to the wall). BB currently use QNX on truck and other stuff, anytime, they have right to switch on to what ever the platform they see fit to benefit from prior work of BB10, such as utilize memory and smaller battery (appear to be OK after BB10.3.2). (2) two years in the future, 5G assume the application side of std should come out (up and down link) plus infrastructure (4G slow implementation might be better to just wait for 5G... VoLTE really didn't add that much benefit overall from user capability point of view... improvement, yes, but not gain new experience... you really need 5G to download movie in few sec capability to "feel" chap just sitting next to you in video chat). (3) 5G will be a game change for app - possibly gone for good... (4) as for support, bb10 so far is not too bad (don't do on line banking)... everything on cloud is problematic for me... gmail asking me to validate and change pw every time I sign on a new device - PC, handset, etc. it just too much trouble when on trip... plus they are no longer support Safari 4.1... 5G would reolve the issue just download a new browser as a header instead... (6) looking forward to 5G dynamic update of X-ray image of patient status in emergency, snap a finger to connect to hudge fund. drive my car and possibly get robot take care of my aging body..etc.etc. will see what 2 years will buy us - If chen is gone at time, might just see QNX somehow make it back - they got both enfortainment and radar already (hardware). who knows... (keep my eyes on 5G std and let my imagination go - want a handset like 9982..).
    12-24-17 05:00 AM
756 ... 1314151617 ...