01-17-18 12:00 PM
756 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Yes, almost every smartphone bought in the entire world is now a glass slab.
    PHEW... and i guess that is how far the design of phones are going to go.

**BlackBerry might not go anywhere after all... if they keep the physical keyboard design**
    i enjoy options in life...
    12-19-17 07:48 PM
    Apple sells stuff to consumers.

BlackBerry sells stuff to businesses and integrators.
    Except Apple also sells far more stuff to business and integrators than Blackberry
    12-19-17 07:55 PM
    Sure, let's throw more EOL software into the mix; Cascades is still on Qt 4, which lost support in 2015.
    No, the idea is to get the BB10 UI working with existing Android code minimizing forking updating the runtime in the process. Perhaps, platforms like SailFish would be more successful piggybacking off the existing BB10 customer base.
    12-19-17 07:58 PM
    BlackBerry World has no content. No developers would be interested in maintaining another app fork to support the lack of Google Play Services. That is abundantly clear now.
    Is it because of how fragmented (and small) each of these non-google Android platforms are?
    12-19-17 08:01 PM
    Most developers didn't even want to straight-up port their already-working Android apps to BlackBerry World! You think they would be interested in this extra nonsense? Please let this go.
    Android on BB10 was the poor step brother. It didn't even support Flow.
    12-19-17 08:06 PM
    Is it because of how fragmented (and small) each of these non-google Android platforms are?
    Fragmentation is one issue, but the other issue is that GPS is actually useful stuff.

Look at the APIs that you lose if you make an AOSP only app. Most developers aren’t going to trade all those APIs just to be able to list the app in some backwater store somewhere. What’s the point?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-19-17 at 08:46 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-19-17 08:07 PM
    with a recent release of the KEYone. not sure why your so animate with the DEAD.
    Well, that's a TCL phone running Android, not BB10.
    12-19-17 11:16 PM
    Fragmentation is one issue, but the other issue is that GPS is actually useful stuff.

Look at the APIs that you lose if you make an AOSP only app. Most developers aren’t going to trade all those APIs just to be able to list the app in some backwater store somewhere. What’s the point?
    The APIs remain for customers who don't care. Modify your code for those who do; adding a little to your customer base.
    12-20-17 12:21 AM
    The APIs remain for customers who don't care. Modify your code for those who do; adding a little to your customer base.
    No, because then I’m basically writing 2 apps. I’m not doing things the easy way, using GPS, for 99+% of the world and then going back to make sure the experience works without GPS for some tiny number of uses. That’s absurd.

Most developers are just going to use the google APIs and live with losing the tiny number of people in the world who are trying to avoid Google at all cost.
    anon(9803228) and glwerry like this.
    12-20-17 01:13 AM
    Depending on the app, it does not have to be feature complete and could be designed from the outset this way.
    12-20-17 01:23 AM
    Depending on the app, it does not have to be feature complete and could be designed from the outset this way.
    Or I could just forget about the tiny number of diehards who are emotionally invested in BB10, etc, and refuse to move on. It’s a tiny number of people.

Look at location services for example. With GPS I get a nice consolidated API thats easier for me to use and has advantages for our users. If I want to use location for my few thousand diehard anti-Google users I have to stitch together my own solution to this. That is utterly pointless. I’m just going to use GPS, which is what most developers are doing now.
    12-20-17 01:50 AM
    now i believe we are on the same page. i was trying to get too.

regardless of what it is called to the public... they should still find out a way to create their own OS the only reason i call it BBOS is due to the fact that if im not mistaking it is short for BlackBerry OS...not saying that the android hardening is something they shouldnt do but at the same time you said it right "is NOT their identity like it used to be."

and to say the least BBOS/BB10 which i like to call BBOS 10 (BB10 seem like a great marketing technique but can be misinterpreted IMO) had never been reported to have a security failure.

Security Failure as in being jailbroken or rooted like iOS or Android OS with that being said the BlackBerry powered by Android could still possible be rooted since there are some who already know the technique for android OS which in turn could be bad for BlackBerry as a whole.
    BlackBerry does have an OS, QNX. No it does not do any of the things you list but is great for a backend OS.

Confused on why develop an mobile OS that they tried to license since 2013 with no takers.
    12-20-17 02:30 AM
    which in part is a bonus feature for BlackBerry... BBRadar is a great achievement. and if they can tie in an Improved version of Blend and a BlackBerry Device with BlackBerry OS it will be a serious win for BlackBerry.

i would go in to detail but hopefully you could tie those three together and see why they should continue creating their own OS and some how get their handheld devices made.
    They no longer sell phones, and no one is interested in licensing BB10. There is zero benefit for BlackBerry to develop again an OS.

Posted via CB10
    glwerry likes this.
    12-20-17 07:31 AM
    They no longer sell phones, and no one is interested in licensing BB10. There is zero benefit for BlackBerry to develop again an OS.

Posted via CB10
    I don't comprehend how there are people who insist that Blackberry should develop yet another mobile OS, when they recently nearly went bankrupt..........because of a mobile OS.

When people say that it's extremely unlikely to see a Priv 2 slider from TCL, then a "BB11" happening is about as likely as all iPhone users worldwide buying a KEYone tomorrow...
    Much better off to tune in to how TCL is doing with the BB branded Android phones.
    glwerry and anon(9803228) like this.
    12-20-17 08:08 AM
    This is the same argument about Android developers porting over their apps to BB10 in 2013.... before GPS was really a big thing. Sure is sounds simple, but it pretty clear that "any" extra effort just wasn't worth most of their time.

Could it be done, yes.... any reason to expect them to do it? Not unless you live in a market where GPS isn't allowed, China, Russia...
    12-20-17 12:42 PM
    It's just reinforcing the problem; platforms with frameworks like GPS get a full featured app while the handful without get some subpar app. This is why Whatsapp had to pull the plug on their BB10 app.
    12-20-17 12:56 PM
    Yea, so sad to see a great FAST mobile OS with numbered days. My first smartphone was a Droid, for 14 months. Then got a Z30, and never looked back. Sooooo much better; had it for nearly 4 years now. If my carrier had offered the Passport, I would have jumped there too. Would have been great for spreadsheets. If my carrier offers the Motion, I'll switch to it. So basically, if BlackBerry Mobile has to be assimilated by the Borg (Android), I want at least some say how much.
    12-20-17 01:13 PM
    I'm guessing you don't use the web very much either, or you are one of the very, very few who take Herculean efforts to mask your identity when online at all times. The WWW is one of the biggest data trackers ever created.

Really? I'm not sure where this myth comes from, but just because Apple is LESS reliant on advertising than Google doesn't mean they don't have targeted ads and don't collect data from them, because they absolutely do.

support dot apple dot com/en-us/HT205223

BB also had an ad platform for targeted advertising, but they shut it down in late 2013 because they got very little in the way of sales, due to the lack of adoption of the BB10 platform itself. Had BB10 succeeded, though, targeted ads would have been apart of it.

I imagine you don't shop online, either, or use a credit/debit card at WalMart, Target, etc., and certainly don't have a membership account at Costco or Sam's Club, or use a loyalty card anywhere, because if you do, all of those companies have extensive profiles about you.

But it doesn't matter to most of the world. They shop at Walmart and Amazon and surf the web logged in to their browser and want access to apps in their app store - and often prefer the free, ad-supported versions rather than paying a few bucks for the ad-free version. And as long as that's true, the market is going to focus on the majority and ignore the exceptions.

At least now you can get solar for your cabin in the woods...

VPN's are pretty easy to use. There are add-on's to firefox that can severly limit tracking. Cleaning your browser history is not hard.

I appreciate your posts and you know your stuff, but it appears to me that everytime this privacy argument comes up, you and others make it sound like it a "solar cabin in the woods" or open your entire life to google/ apple/ facebook etc.

Regarding credit cards, I am looking in to Blur/ Abine.

There are important mitigating measures one can take. Using BB10 is/ was one such measure for me.
    Last edited by OnTheFence001; 12-20-17 at 01:47 PM. Reason: tense
    Newfangled likes this.
    12-20-17 01:45 PM
    VPN's are pretty easy to use. There are add-on's to firefox that can severly limit tracking. Cleaning your browser history is not hard.

I appreciate your posts and you know your stuff, but it appears to me that everytime this privacy argument comes up, you and others make it sound like it a "solar cabin in the woods" or open your entire life to google/ apple/ facebook etc.

Regarding credit cards, I am looking in to Blur/ Abine.

There are important mitigating measures one can take. Using BB10 is/ was one such measure for me.
    In the grand scheme of things, it's ALMOST waste of time. What good does it do to secure your information when all the interactions you have with others are not secured on their end.

It's like a movie prop for a neighborhood street. Front doors all locked but everything open from the other side....
    12-20-17 01:55 PM
    In the grand scheme of things, it's ALMOST waste of time. What good does it do to secure your information when all the interactions you have with others are not secured on their end.

It's like a movie prop for a neighborhood street. Front doors all locked but everything open from the other side....
    OK, then give me your credit card information, SSN, and all your passwords to all your apps. Save me the trouble of getting that info from the other end.
    12-20-17 02:01 PM

It depends on your objectives. A VPN is very useful for protecting sensitive information that IS secured on both ends during its transmission over the public Internet. That's it's purpose.

No security is perfect, but there's a difference between leaving the front door and windows of your house open when you go on vacation and locking them, turning on alarm, and asking your neighbors to watch your house.

This is a classic case of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-20-17 02:24 PM

not really. I dont log into sites and browse. I only sign in when I purchase something. a VPN allows you to change your internet connection thereby making each visit to a site distinct (assuming you clean the browser history).

There are basic steps one can take. Using a BB phone allows me to NOT sign into google for basic smartphone functions.

Although I'd like to get to 100% privacy, I understand the difficulties that presents with modern life. But it's also not a zero sum game, ie give them everything or live in a shack off the grid.

With no blackberry, it's copperhead OS, sailfish, perhaps windows phone for a short time, but mist likely lineage/ custom os. Ideally, I just would prefer an OS that does not require me to maintain it on a quarterly basis. On that point Copperhead might be the best option.
    Last edited by OnTheFence001; 12-20-17 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add point
    Newfangled and DonHB like this.
    12-20-17 02:25 PM
    It depends on your objectives. A VPN is very useful for protecting sensitive information that IS secured on both ends during its transmission over the public Internet. That's it's purpose.

No security is perfect, but there's a difference between leaving the front door and windows of your house open when you go on vacation and locking them, turning on alarm, and asking your neighbors to watch your house.

This is a classic case of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I completely agree.
    DonHB likes this.
    12-20-17 02:30 PM
    I think of all the ways to improve privacy, using BB10 over some other OS makes practically no difference, for the same use cases. There are much more impactful things one can do if privacy is the real concern.
    12-20-17 03:41 PM
    OK, then give me your credit card information, SSN, and all your passwords to all your apps. Save me the trouble of getting that info from the other end.
    You sure about using the info provided to you? Might be a sting operation. 😁
    12-20-17 03:51 PM
756 ... 1011121314 ...