This is about good business practices not regulations.

If I am considering a product that will be a component of a product I will be using internally or for resale I would be very interested in how a potential supplier reacts to vulnerabilities.
    It's Dell's responsibility to cover you or explain issues to you if you have a problem with a display. The manufacturer of the panel being supplied to Dell has no "best practice" reason to communicate with you. Zero.
    01-13-18 04:27 PM
    From its introduction the future of BB10 (and its owner) has been in doubt which likely caused a wait and see approach on the part of developers and consumers alike. Having new hardware to run it is a step toward confirming BB10 has a future (BB's future is now less in doubt). It is also would require no hardware investment (but it could add a few sales for the licensees). I don't know how the work is divided between BB and its licensees in getting Android running on a device, but it could be that Blackberry has all the information needed.
    There was a lot of new hardware in 2014 and even ad campaigns touting the BlackBerry turnaround, that still wasn't enough to save BB10.

So realistically, what is BB10 offering in 2018 that you'd like to see a comeback for that other platforms aren't also offering to some extent?
    01-13-18 04:41 PM
    It's Dell's responsibility to cover you or explain issues to you if you have a problem with a display. The manufacturer of the panel being supplied to Dell has no "best practice" reason to communicate with you. Zero.
    Most OEMs actually prohibit this in their contracts with suppliers and would consider it interference in their business relationships.
    01-13-18 06:08 PM
    I have one important question for all those who may choose to remain on BB10 past the support deadline. Is there an alternative to downloading BB10 app after the Blackberry World Store closes? Can the apps be somehow all extracted and stored and distributed after the fact? If the store is close would that even be legal? Is there any way at all to aquire BB10 apps after that deadline arrives ?
    Hi Sir,

It's possible (technically), to fetch (many) applications from the BBWorld store before closure, and then decide to distribute (some of) these applications.

However;
    - each application has a License that must me respected
    - When subscribing to BBWorld store, we have probably accepted some contract as well..

So I would say : First, let's check that the contract signed with BlackBerry through BBWorld store allows this ..

If not, let's ask BlackBerry how this contract might be adapted on request of the community....
    01-14-18 06:41 AM
    It's possible (technically), to fetch (many) applications from the BBWorld store before closure, and then decide to distribute (some of) these applications.
    You can't extract apps from BB World.
    01-14-18 10:38 AM
    You can't extract apps from BB World.
    Using Sachesi you may extract .bar files from your phones, so yes, you may collect applications from BB World and put them to your harddrive for further redistribution. But does the License(s) allows you to do so, that is another and very important question.
    01-14-18 02:30 PM
    Using Sachesi you may extract .bar files from your phones, so yes, you may collect applications from BB World and put them to your harddrive for further redistribution. But does the License(s) allows you to do so, that is another and very important question.
    No you can't.
    01-14-18 02:32 PM
    No you can't.
    That's right.

You can install bar files, and you can delete them.

But they cannot be extracted.

Even Link backups that can include apps are encrypted which makes extracting from a backup impossible. Unless you are restoring to a phone with the same BBID as the backup was made with. But then, you're back where you started. Still can't extract them.
    01-14-18 02:53 PM
    That's right.

You can install bar files, and you can delete them.

But they cannot be extracted.

Even Link backups that can include apps are encrypted which makes extracting from a backup impossible. Unless you are restoring to a phone with the same BBID as the backup was made with. But then, you're back where you started. Still can't extract them.
    I find it ironic that so many people are interested in circumventing BB10 restrictions that support solid security practices. If you're looking for openness and flexibility, I'd suggest looking at a more open platform.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-14-18 02:59 PM
    Sachesi will let you extract bar files from an OTA update (i.e., preloaded apps) but not directly from the device.

Security focused platforms generally aren't great for tinkering which is good for security reasons but not so good for specific situations like this.
    01-14-18 03:56 PM
    Dude, have you ever ported software to a NEW DEVICE?

I have.
    Twice.
    3x, if you want in include the Y2K situation.

THIS IS NOT A TRIVIAL EXERCISE. You seem to think it is.
    Please - let's trot out your credentials to back up your statements. Have you ever migrated a large, complex software system to a new processor?
    If you were able to do it how hard could it be for a large corporation?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-18 11:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    In theory, I am able to break a brick with my fist. But I don't do that. I just don't need to.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-18 03:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    I did it with a team that was very experienced on the software we were porting. It also took us more than a YEAR in both cases. Multiple years for the Y2K, although we were still keeping other systems running during that time.

Does BB even have a team around that knows the product any more?
    01-15-18 09:28 AM
    I did it with a team that was very experienced on the software we were porting. It also took us more than a YEAR in both cases. Multiple years for the Y2K, although we were still keeping other systems running during that time.

Does BB even have a team around that knows the product any more?
    that's a nope.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:33 AM
    that's a nope.

Posted via CBX
    You ever see one of those movies where they get the band back together? I'm not saying they should do it. I'm just saying people might be grossly exaggerating the barriers.

Posted via CB10
    DonHB likes this.
    01-15-18 02:49 PM
    You ever see one of those movies where they get the band back together? I'm not saying they should do it. I'm just saying people might be grossly exaggerating the barriers.

Posted via CB10
    The band members aren't lying around doing nothing though. They gone.
    01-15-18 03:02 PM
    You ever see one of those movies
    This isn’t a movie.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-15-18 05:35 PM
    This isn’t a movie.
    Keep telling yourself that.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-15-18 05:46 PM
    Well, I have to give it to you. Facts and consensus expertise don't seem to have any impact on you.

After weeks or months of being educated on everything from business studies to software development, you are utterly unfazed.
    Deflected again.
    Not the first time here that dissimilar pretends to be analogous.
    Last edited by DonHB; 01-15-18 at 08:15 PM.
    01-15-18 07:23 PM
    that's a nope.

Posted via CBX
    And how do you claim to know this? And how do people who claim that the Android Player can't be updated without violating BlackBerry's license for Google Play Services know this?
    01-15-18 07:32 PM
    And how do you claim to know this? And how do people who claim that the Android Player can't be updated without violating BlackBerry's license for Google Play Services know this? Which is not the same as saying these claims are untrue or unsubstantiated rumors.
    the facts speak for themselves on the first point. google has answered the second.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 07:39 PM
    the facts speak for themselves on the first point. google has answered the second.

Posted via CBX
    I read about the layoffs, but that means no one who worked on BB10 has been reassigned to other projects within BlackBerry? Maybe Android? Could some have been reassigned to QNX? Better companies tend to encourage employees with certain expertise to provide assistance to projects with which they are not directly involved.

When did Google or Alphabet answer?
    01-15-18 07:55 PM
    I read about the layoffs, but that means no one who worked on BB10 has been reassigned to other projects within BlackBerry? Maybe Android? Could some have been reassigned to QNX? Better companies tend to encourage employees with certain expertise to provide assistance to projects with which they are not directly involved.

they sold the buildings. i'm not an expert on the other, but it has been stated here that no such licensing agreement will exist in the future.

"better companies" indeed.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 08:00 PM

We've gone over this.

Even if a few are still around, they are actually busy on projects that have a ROI.
    01-15-18 08:17 PM
    they sold the buildings. i'm not an expert on the other, but it has been stated here that no such licensing agreement will exist in the future.

Posted via CBX
    I was referring to the numerous claims that every license for Google Play Services the licensee to using Android on conforming versions of Android and no where else.

Usually license agreements are part of an NDA and so how is it that people here KNOW that terms are identical to what was released as part of lawsuit which was settled many (for the tech industry) years ago.
    01-15-18 08:23 PM
756 ... 2627282930 ...