Honestly, this is where you start to veer off track.
    Why would you say that? There are only over 600 posts clearly explaining why such ideas are reasonably refuted. Oh, and facts.
    DonHB likes this.
    01-10-18 03:52 PM
    Any idea what you'll go with? I'm in the same boat. Was looking at the Sony 'Compact' range but the screens aren't far off five inches!

Posted via CB10
    Huawei also has 5" screen device in P10 - Honor devices.
    01-10-18 03:56 PM
    Well, I have to give it to you. Facts and consensus expertise don't seem to have any impact on you.

After weeks or months of being educated on everything from business studies to software development, you are utterly unfazed.
    I don't understand what facts are needed other than the indisputable fact that in September 2016 BlackBerry Limited exited the phone business. The transformation to an enterprise software company was completed. Over the next several months the company licensed the BlackBerry name to be used by three companies that wanted to continue to sell Android phones using the BlackBerry name.

BlackBerry Limited is out of the phone business.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-10-18 04:13 PM
    BlackBerry Limited is out of the phone business.
    Out of the handset business. They develop and sell a phone operating system that supports hardware root of trust. Unfortunately, it is Android with all the Google encumbrances.
    01-10-18 07:19 PM
    Out of the handset business. They develop and sell a phone operating system that supports hardware root of trust. Unfortunately, it is Android with all the Google encumbrances.
    where can i buy said blackberry product?
    oh man, why wont this thread die?

Posted via CBX
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-10-18 07:27 PM
    I suppose they are in the handset business as much as they are in the automotive and the trucking business.
    01-10-18 08:18 PM
    Radar is hardware. So, can BlackBerry really say it's a pure play software business?
    01-10-18 10:18 PM
    where can i buy said blackberry product?
    oh man, why wont this thread die?

Posted via CBX
    BlackBerry Mobile Android devices are sold on Amazon (and through some carriers) and beginning 1/12 you can buy the Motion on Amazon.
    01-10-18 10:21 PM
    Radar is hardware. So, can BlackBerry really say it's a pure play software business?
    But, is that hardware built by BlackBerry, or, are they contracted out to a third party through Modagrafics?
    01-10-18 11:08 PM
    But, is that hardware built by BlackBerry, or, are they contracted out to a third party through Modagrafics?
    Plus the sensors are hardly significant compared to the web-suite and communication channels.
    01-10-18 11:12 PM
    BlackBerry Mobile Android devices are sold on Amazon (and through some carriers) and beginning 1/12 you can buy the Motion on Amazon.
    thats not the company you mentioned previously

Posted via CBX
    01-11-18 07:58 AM
    Any idea what you'll go with? I'm in the same boat. Was looking at the Sony 'Compact' range but the screens aren't far off five inches!

Posted via CB10
    Small Lumia (435?) or iphone SE. I don't need the best specs I guess
    01-12-18 06:18 AM
    Small Lumia (435?) or iphone SE. I don't need the best specs I guess
    There are rumors Apple will be releasing an updated SE this spring.
    01-12-18 08:38 AM
    So after all this, there is still hope for BB10...right on.
    for user don't depend upon app or can utilize their skill... there is always hope... that is why millions BBOS still fork over money to Chen (like this guy use his Nokia). https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-i-went-from-programming-with-a-feature-phone-to-working-for-an-mit-startup-40ca3be4fa0f%2Bnigeria+lagos+mit+nokia+phone&num=1 &client=safari&rls=en&dcr=0&hl=en&prmd=ivns&strip= 1&vwsrc=0]How I went from programming with a Nokia feature phone to working for an <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">MIT</b> Startup[/url]
    01-12-18 09:44 AM
    thats not the company you mentioned previously

Posted via CBX
    I have been wishing for a BB10 autoloader for a device which runs on a handset from a BlackBerry Android licensee. Both BB10 and BlackBerry's Android OS implement hardware root of trust. While the Android device may not be able to load BB10 that is installed by an autoloader because the key(s) may be owned by each manufacturer instead of BlackBerry, having the OS actually run is an issue of compatibility.

It so happens that QNX has a BSP for the Snapdragon 820A (A is for automotive), but BlackBerry Mobile is using the 625. I had hoped someone here might know how compatible the 820 is to to the 820A and how compatible the 625 is to the 820.

With the partnership on radios (for "automotive infotainment") between BlackBerry and Qualcomm and support for the 820A in Neutrino 7, perhaps more has been (or will be) done involving other projects that may greatly reduce the investment in producing an autoloader than people here may believe.
    01-12-18 03:10 PM
    Was BlackBerry still in the handset business when it produced the DTEKs? I would guess BlackBerry was more involved in the Radar design than the design of BB branded DTEKs
    01-12-18 03:13 PM
    Was BlackBerry still in the handset business when it produced the DTEKs? I would guess BlackBerry was more involved in the Radar design than the design of BB branded DTEKs
    Yes. They outsourced the design and manufacture to TCL, but they sold them themselves. It sets the stage for the u can sing agreement.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-12-18 04:05 PM
    I have been wishing for a BB10 autoloader for a device which runs on a handset from a BlackBerry Android licensee. Both BB10 and BlackBerry's Android OS implement hardware root of trust. While the Android device may not be able to load BB10 that is installed by an autoloader because the key(s) may be owned by each manufacturer instead of BlackBerry, having the OS actually run is an issue of compatibility.
    What's keeping you on BB10 that you can't already get from Sailfish (which has a lot of similarities with BB10 and your autoloader idea) or platforms like iOS and Android?
    01-12-18 04:09 PM
    LOL sailfish.

Posted via CBX
    01-12-18 04:24 PM
    Everything you talk about costs money....lots of money and bb will never see ANY of that wasted money again.
    01-12-18 04:46 PM
    LOL sailfish.

Posted via CBX
    The only two options you have at this point are to stick to an essentially unsupported platform or migrate to one that has features you like and is actually supported by its developer (i.e., you get timely updates and security fixes).
    01-12-18 05:48 PM
    I miss my Passport to this day and respect your continued use of one. My inability to keep a device for more than a year or so makes me weak, but I sure do miss my Passport! Long live the PKB! Cheers!
    I loved my passport and I owned two. After the second one’s screen separated I decided I was done. Still loved it, wish that hadn’t happened (twice).
    01-12-18 05:51 PM
    The only two options you have at this point are to stick to an essentially unsupported platform or migrate to one that has features you like and is actually supported by its developer (i.e., you get timely updates and security fixes).
    Unsupported only matters if support is needed. I haven't required any "support" for my BB10 phones since 10.2. The things just work for all their core native functions. As the Android runtime (stuck.on 4.3) becomes increasingly irrelevant, it will lead people who care about Android or iOS apps to choose another platform, which is a good decision for them.

Those who are happy with BB10 native functions should not feel any pressure to switch platforms, however. It's unsupported the same way my 15 year old Subaru is unsupported. Not a bad thing.

01-12-18 05:55 PM
    Unsupported only matters if support is needed. I haven't required any "support" for my BB10 phones since 10.2. The things just work for all their core native functions. As the Android runtime (stuck.on 4.3) becomes increasingly irrelevant, it will lead people who care about Android or iOS apps to choose another platform, which is a good decision for them.

Those who are happy with BB10 native functions should not feel any pressure to switch platforms, however. It's unsupported the same way my 15 year old Subaru is unsupported. Not a bad thing.

Sure but it goes beyond apps and feature updates as BlackBerry isn't even commenting on security issues in a timely manner anymore, if at all (just commenting, I'm not even referring to patching).
    01-12-18 06:03 PM
    Sure but it goes beyond apps and feature updates as BlackBerry isn't even commenting on security issues in a timely manner anymore, if at all (just commenting, I'm not even referring to patching).
    Yes. But there's nothing we don't know, so the comments don't really matter. We can be 99.99% certain that BB10 is vulnerable to KRACK, and we can similarly assume that there will be no more patches or updates.

The "support" being offered is that BB10 will still be supported on BB's security platforms for another two years.

So, users simply need to decide if BB10, in its current EOL state, meets their needs. Then, if BlackBerry surprises with additional updates, that will be an unexpected bonus.

stlabrat and ppeters914 like this.
    01-12-18 06:48 PM
756 ... 2425262728 ...