I prefer Truman and Trump but all is good...

In Florida, it's rum and palm trees and we all have pet alligators....
    I taught the big snakes had eaten most the alligators down there. Up here in the redneck riviera part of Florida.... we don't make pets of things we eat.
    12-21-17 03:19 PM
    I taught the big snakes had eaten most the alligators down there. Up here in the redneck riviera part of Florida.... we don't make pets of things we eat.
    You should come to northern Canada - if you get far enough north we have Polar Bears.

Polar Bears look at people and think, "Hmmmmm .... LUNCH".
    12-21-17 03:33 PM
    Nah. We got plenty of both down here. What part of LA (Florida Panhandle Central Time Zone for you non-locals) you in Dunt?
    12-21-17 03:35 PM
    Nah. We got plenty of both down here. What part of LA (Florida Panhandle Central Time Zone for you non-locals) you in Dunt?
    Panama City....
    12-21-17 03:52 PM
    Since we're sidetracked, I vote Boston as most hostile and crazy driving environment.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    12-21-17 04:02 PM
    Panama City....
    I went to US Navy dive school in Panama City in '83. The panhandle seemed more Baja Alabama than Florida IMO. There was some Colonel Sanders type car dealer with a little white dog in Dothan.

Nine dollar bushels of oysters.....sigh....

12-21-17 04:11 PM
    Panama City....
    My oldest son lives there. Keep pushing him to move back here but he's got his routine and gets around better there since he refuses to drive...
    12-21-17 07:17 PM
    I went to US Navy dive school in Panama City in '83. The panhandle seemed more Baja Alabama than Florida IMO. There was some Colonel Sanders type car dealer with a little white dog in Dothan.

Nine dollar bushels of oysters.....sigh....

That's why us down in the regular part of the state call it LA (AKA Lower Alabama.) Although I can just go 20 miles east to Polk County with the famous sheriff Grady Judd.
    12-21-17 07:20 PM
    Who cares about the Motion. I want to know when the next WebOS phone is released. Ready for the Pre 4....
    12-21-17 08:18 PM
    Here's a question about the apparent closing of BB10 in two years. I'm a novice as far as techno stuff is concerned so please excuse my possibly "green" question:

I can't get a straight answer from Blackberry by DM Twitter chat. If BB10 is actually no longer supported after 2020, will the phone function no longer work? Or is it just the apps and browser won't function anymore? I'm trying to make plans as to what to do next. If the phone and Hub still work, I can live with that. I'm not an apps user anyway.
    12-21-17 08:34 PM
    Here's a question about the apparent closing of BB10 in two years. I'm a novice as far as techno stuff is concerned so please excuse my possibly "green" question:

I can't get a straight answer from Blackberry by DM Twitter chat. If BB10 is actually no longer supported after 2020, will the phone function no longer work? Or is it just the apps and browser won't function anymore? I'm trying to make plans as to what to do next. If the phone and Hub still work, I can live with that. I'm not an apps user anyway.
    The phone function will almost certainly continue to work.

The browser will continue to degrade as the web moves on without it. That is already happening. That won’t necessarily accelerate end of 2019.
    SonyainTx likes this.
    12-21-17 09:34 PM
    Same here. If my Passport keeps performing the daily tasks I ask it too ,then I will drag my feet as long as I can.
    Why is it so fashionable in this throw away day of age to just give up on something we love. After all if we didn't love the frustration that a non main stream OS caused we would all be typing on a 'pretend ' alternate OS keyboard instead of listening to the musical clatter of a physical key press

Sent from my Passport Red Edition
    Stay on the high road Low Joe, keep dragging your feet, and don't blame the encumbered gait on the relative (un)pocketability of the most distinctive phone ever made.

Even more loudly clattered than a crimson passport with my Q5SQR100-1/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    12-21-17 10:13 PM

They didn't make it clear if the whole network would be shutdown or if it was just some services like BBW. In the end I think only time will tell.... might be like the WhatsApp "shutdown".

Two years is a long time... more likely you will have moved on for other reasons, so it not really something to worry about at this point.
    SonyainTx likes this.
    12-22-17 07:22 AM

By time all this happens, you'll probably have already moved on to PRIV....
    john_v likes this.
    12-22-17 07:35 AM
    They didn't make it clear if the whole network would be shutdown or if it was just some services like BBW. In the end I think only time will tell.... might be like the WhatsApp "shutdown".

Two years is a long time... more likely you will have moved on for other reasons, so it not really something to worry about at this point.
    Email, Calendar, Contacts, and tasks wil continue to function as long as the services you connect don't change, as BlackBerry doesn't handle any data for those. For MS Exchange and IMAP integrations, you could be fine for another decade, as they are very mature standards.

For services supported by BlackBerry, such as BlackBerry Maps and BBM, there are no guarantees.

As for how long carriers wil support the band's on the old phones, that's another good question.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-22-17 07:56 AM

As others have said the phone and SMS will continue to work. The hub is a different matter. Email services built on standard POP3 and IMAP will continue to work. Those that have different underlying technology may be less stable. GMail is an example of something that has always not worked the way everyone expects because under the covers it is very different from a conventional mail server. Calendars should continue to work, again because calendar protocols are fairly mature and unlikely to change.

Where you will run into problems is with other hub enabled applications. As the backend protocols change to support new features and BB10 updates are not forthcoming they will degrade and fail, if they aren't disabled outright.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    SonyainTx likes this.
    12-22-17 07:59 AM
    ...GMail is an example of something that has always not worked the way everyone expects because under the covers it is very different from a conventional mail server...
    Am I the only lucky who hasn't had any problems with Gmail ever??

I am not an expert in email servers, but it __seems__ to me Gmail works over the very standard IMAP protocol.
    12-22-17 08:07 AM

I am not an expert in email servers, but it __seems__ to me Gmail works over the very standard IMAP protocol.
    I could be wrong since it's been a long time since I used BB10 but I believe the Send/Receive works just fine, IIRC I think where people ran into issues was folders and archiving (since GMail relies more on a labeling system than actual folders)
    12-22-17 08:27 AM
    As others have said the phone and SMS will continue to work. The hub is a different matter. Email services built on standard POP3 and IMAP will continue to work. Those that have different underlying technology may be less stable. GMail is an example of something that has always not worked the way everyone expects because under the covers it is very different from a conventional mail server. Calendars should continue to work, again because calendar protocols are fairly mature and unlikely to change.

Where you will run into problems is with other hub enabled applications. As the backend protocols change to support new features and BB10 updates are not forthcoming they will degrade and fail, if they aren't disabled outright.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    I don't know what other Hub services are still working. Twitter? LinkedIn and Facebook notifications are long gone already. WhatsApp wil be fine shortly. Are there any others?

As for Gmail, the essential service should be fine. It's only the unique tag system for tabs and archived that don't work in the BB10 Hub.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-22-17 at 08:58 AM.
    john_v likes this.
    12-22-17 08:32 AM

I guess that's fine if you like IMAP....

We switched to Google for Business a number of years ago, things got messy with their whole need for a syncing app for Outlook. Oultook.com for business and activesync works much better with desktops and laptops.
    john_v likes this.
    12-22-17 08:57 AM
    Thanks guys, Gmail archive is indeed unavailable in hub. Never searched for it there, and will never miss it since I do archive mail once in a half of year.
    Last edited by arfeo; 12-22-17 at 09:38 AM.
    john_v likes this.
    12-22-17 08:59 AM
    I guess that's fine if you like IMAP....

We switched to Google for Business a number of years ago, things got messy with their whole need for a syncing app for Outlook. Oultook.com for business and activesync works much better with desktops and laptops.
    Gmail works great in the browser or in apps made to support its tag/tab interface, but the whole tab system is a consumer-oriented approach made to separate marketing promotions, subscriptions and notifications from correspondence. In a business context, it's usually better to define custom rules for that sort of thing.

Personally, I want every single email to simply hit my inbox, where it's easy to deal with immediately once and for all. The BlackBerry Hub, in B10 and Android support that use case perfectly.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-22-17 at 09:29 AM.
    12-22-17 09:02 AM
    Personally, I want every single email to simply hit my inbox, where it's easy to deal with immediately once and for all.
    This exactly!
    12-22-17 09:10 AM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm sticking with my Z30 until the wheels come off. Then I'm kicking around the idea of getting a KEYone.

I'm just nervous about going over the the "dark side" with Android OS.
    12-22-17 09:34 AM
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm sticking with my Z30 until the wheels come off. Then I'm kicking around the idea of getting a KEYone.

I'm just nervous about going over the the "dark side" with Android OS.
    Let the power be with you.
    12-22-17 09:36 AM
756 ... 1213141516 ...