Samsung has Galaxy apps so to say BlackBerry World cant thrive is a misconception.
    Thrive as a licenced product to other Android OEMs that already have access to the latest apps? Lol.
    12-19-17 04:29 PM
    im more convinced this forum is kinda full of anti-blackberry users. Or missing the fact that BlackBerry is building a different kind of ecosystem for them(BlackBerry) to thrive in and will soon realize that they cant neglect their mobile device... I miss those days where BlackBerry would throw in a PhoneCase or Holster for the device as a complimentary thanks for purchasing the device.
    What are you talking about? BlackBerry isn't neglecting the mobile space. They packed up the building and moved out completely.
    12-19-17 04:30 PM
    They did try this. They had international conferences for developers and created a program with incentives. It failed.
    But they had this API/SDK that nobody but BlackBerry supported and their unique UX did not work with the Android Player. BlackBerry from the beginning may have got developers interested by allowing them to utilize their existing Android code by providing a Flow based Android SDK. At a later time they could broach the question with these developers of the need for a native SDK.

When John Chen became CEO he could have approached developers in 2013 about building Flow conforming apps built on an Android SDK. With sufficient interest in this, development of the native SDK could have been put on hold following the introduction of the 10.2.1 version allowing resources to be devoted to the Flow on Android SDK.
    12-19-17 04:32 PM
    Now that I get thinking about this, BB had offered BB10 to others ALREADY, on a licensing basis. NO TAKERS.
    Now that it EOL it should be much less costly.
    12-19-17 04:38 PM
    im more convinced this forum is kinda full of anti-blackberry users. Or missing the fact that BlackBerry is building a different kind of ecosystem for them(BlackBerry) to thrive in and will soon realize that they cant neglect their mobile device... I miss those days where BlackBerry would throw in a PhoneCase or Holster for the device as a complimentary thanks for purchasing the device.
    It seems to me like you are missing the point that BB is no longer building an ecosystem for the phones.

We get it, you miss the days where you would buy a BB phone and they would throw in something extra. We understand.

The negativity comes in with the refusal on your part to see that BB's phone business is DEAD.

The PRIV was the last BB phone - the phones after that (KeyOne, Motion, DTEKs) are all 3rd party phones (TCL and possibly a different builder).

If BB felt that BB World could thrive, why are they closing it down?!

REALITY. Is it "anti-blackberry" to acknowledge that the corporation has shifted their strategic direction?

As an example, I work for a mining company. Within a kilometer of my office is an exhausted open pit mine that hasn't been touched since 1932-ish. Why? There is NO MORE ORE there. Should my mining corporation spend millions of dollars a year to make that pit bigger in the hopes of hitting more metal (ore) that it has already proved isn't there??
    If they did, the shareholders would revolt and demand the resignation of the ***** that approved doing that.

Similar situation, really.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-19-17 04:38 PM
    Thrive as a licenced product to other Android OEMs that already have access to the latest apps?
    so the latest apps on a phone device to replace video games or a simple task of opening a web browser for a banking app is what it comes to...an app to place an order for pizza?

from what i remember BlackBerry was a built as a personal digital assistant to keep phone contacts, calendar reminders, a web browser and a email on the go device that can also place and receive phone calls. and by a stroke of genius they created or purchased DocToGo for quick editing of documents,powerpoints and excel sheets. it was not intended to be a toy to play video game apps... there goal is not to replace a tv and gaming console.

and please dont follow up this post as you must be bashing iOS.... just my loyalty to the brand that has helped me be successful with the tasks i need to get done personal and work wise..
    12-19-17 04:39 PM
    Almost none. Even all the Chinese stuff can have Google Play Services installed after purchase. So can Amazon Fire.

No need for a desert of obsolete, long-forgotten apps like BlackBerry World.
    The point of these Android platforms is to be Google free (and Amazon free too).
    12-19-17 04:41 PM
    What are you talking about? BlackBerry isn't neglecting the mobile space. They packed up the building and moved out completely.
    moved out of a market where every iPhone is the same concept with an updated iOS? So if they steped out the only option on the market is going to be an iPhone? or an iPhone look a like running android OS?
    12-19-17 04:42 PM
    Now that it EOL it should be much less costly.
    You know, this isn't a used boat we're talking about.
    It's not a new vehicle that the dealership is trying to blow out because the new models are coming in.

It's an object that needs INVESTMENT in order to become competitive.
    Huge investment.

As an example, on one of the other threads there's a fellow named "app_developer" who mentioned that his organization found that when developing apps for IOS and Android that it worked better to have TWO SEPARATE teams, one for EACH OS (operating system).

So, the organization that licenses or buys BB10 now has to convince people like this app developer to create a NEW team (MULTIPLE developers, and expensive people at that) to build or port their app to a platform that has LESS THAN 0.1 % of the phone market share.

Even Microsoft, with the billions in their pockets has ABANDONED their mobile platform.

Bottom line - nobody wants to do BB10. At this point it's just not worth it.
    12-19-17 04:44 PM
    The point of these Android platforms is to be Google free (and Amazon free too).
    BlackBerry World has no content. No developers would be interested in maintaining another app fork to support the lack of Google Play Services. That is abundantly clear now.
    12-19-17 04:46 PM
    Almost none. Even all the Chinese stuff can have Google Play Services installed after purchase. So can Amazon Fire.

No need for a desert of obsolete, long-forgotten apps like BlackBerry World.
    It an app store though not a particularly good one, but it is free of Google and Amazon.
    12-19-17 04:48 PM
    so the latest apps on a phone device to replace video games or a simple task of opening a web browser for a banking app is what it comes to...an app to place an order for pizza?

from what i remember BlackBerry was a built as a personal digital assistant to keep phone contacts, calendar reminders, a web browser and a email on the go device that can also place and receive phone calls. and by a stroke of genius they created or purchased DocToGo for quick editing of documents,powerpoints and excel sheets. it was not intended to be a toy to play video game apps... there goal is not to replace a tv and gaming console.

and please dont follow up this post as you must be bashing iOS.... just my loyalty to the brand that has helped me be successful with the tasks i need to get done personal and work wise..
    You're not following.

The discussion is whether BlackBerry World can be marketed to other Android OEMs as a mechanism to obtain Android apps that don't require Google Play Services.
    12-19-17 04:49 PM

I love BB. That's why when I could not get a critical WORK-RELATED app to work anymore on my Classic, I went out and got a PRIV.

The availability of the pizza app was just a bonus.
    As for using the web browser for the banking app, I TRIED THAT. The size of the screen made it useless.

Many of us tried to stay with BB10. We really did.

Many of us who couldn't make it work went with BB Android even though the phones were over-priced and under-specced related to what was available with other Android makers.
    For me the physical keyboard was a crucial factor. That's a very important reason in going BB Android instead of iPhone.
    goncal likes this.
    12-19-17 04:50 PM
    So, the organization that licenses or buys BB10 now has to convince people like this app developer to create a NEW team (MULTIPLE developers, and expensive people at that) to build or port their app to a platform that has LESS THAN 0.1 % of the phone market share.

Even Microsoft, with the billions in their pockets has ABANDONED their mobile platform.

Bottom line - nobody wants to do BB10. At this point it's just not worth it.
    Android apps with a BB10 UX and using BlackBerry world to sell these apps. Developers would be using much of their existing Android code. Maybe all of it if the Android UI could be mapped to the BB10 UX.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    12-19-17 05:00 PM
    Android apps with a BB10 UX and using BlackBerry world to sell these apps. Developers would be using much of their existing Android code. Maybe all of it if the Android UI could be mapped to the BB10 UX.
    What are you talking about?? Oh my!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 05:03 PM
    Most developers didn't even want to straight-up port their already-working Android apps to BlackBerry World! You think they would be interested in this extra nonsense? Please let this go.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-19-17 05:06 PM
    Sure, let's throw more EOL software into the mix; Cascades is still on Qt 4, which lost support in 2015.
    arfeo likes this.
    12-19-17 05:19 PM
    You're not following.

The discussion is whether BlackBerry World can be marketed to other Android OEMs as a mechanism to obtain Android apps that don't require Google Play Services.
    got off track... so now were on the topic that some APKs werent uploaded to BlackBerry World?
    12-19-17 06:18 PM
    The ports weren't successful so why would apks of the same apps that won't work properly in many cases?
    12-19-17 06:21 PM
    Sure, let's throw more EOL software into the mix; Cascades is still on Qt 4, which lost support in 2015.
    hardware development is getting ahead of the software development?
    12-19-17 06:26 PM
    The negativity comes in with the refusal on your part to see that BB's phone business is DEAD.
    with a recent release of the KEYone. not sure why your so animate with the DEAD.
    12-19-17 06:31 PM
    Would any Apple users describe Apple that way? That is no way to gain brand loyalty. If BlackBerry is only interested in selling software for trucking companies now then it doesn't matter (unless you are a trucking company).

Posted via CB10
    Apple sells stuff to consumers.

BlackBerry sells stuff to businesses and integrators.
    12-19-17 06:31 PM
    Apple sells stuff to consumers.

BlackBerry sells stuff to businesses and integrators.
    Business oriented ...certain apps aren't needed... a Laptop or desktop would replace about 99 % of the application in any app distribution app.

and if need be the web browser is available.
    12-19-17 06:38 PM
    moved out of a market where every iPhone is the same concept with an updated iOS? So if they steped out the only option on the market is going to be an iPhone? or an iPhone look a like running android OS?
    Yes, almost every smartphone bought in the entire world is now a glass slab.
    INFOmuzRON and anon(9803228) like this.
    12-19-17 06:41 PM
    Business oriented ...certain apps aren't needed... a Laptop or desktop would replace about 99 % of the application in any app distribution app.

and if need be the web browser is available.
    OCIO’s have to cater to their users. Their users want android or iPhone.

BB doesn’t sell phones anymore. Business probably buy android and iPhones every day than all the TCL/BB phones produced in the whole year.

The market has spoken so clearly on this.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-19-17 06:44 PM
756 ... 910111213 ...