No kidding. I've only been working with software since 1978.

I was working from the tone of your post and the tone that I was reading was that BlackBerry's identity was tied up in BB10.

My point is that BB has MOVED ON from BB10 and that OS development is only a very small part of their business model now.
    BB10 and, for that matter, even the Android hardening, Hub, etc., is NOT their identity like it used to be.
    now i believe we are on the same page. i was trying to get too.

regardless of what it is called to the public... they should still find out a way to create their own OS the only reason i call it BBOS is due to the fact that if im not mistaking it is short for BlackBerry OS...not saying that the android hardening is something they shouldnt do but at the same time you said it right "is NOT their identity like it used to be."

and to say the least BBOS/BB10 which i like to call BBOS 10 (BB10 seem like a great marketing technique but can be misinterpreted IMO) had never been reported to have a security failure.

Security Failure as in being jailbroken or rooted like iOS or Android OS with that being said the BlackBerry powered by Android could still possible be rooted since there are some who already know the technique for android OS which in turn could be bad for BlackBerry as a whole.
    12-19-17 12:13 PM
    Just wondering, maybe it's stupid question, but what will happen with the password keeper app after 2019?

I mean, we can export our passwords, and we can delete them manually (I presonally didn't figured out how to delete my passwords in one touch 😃 ), but if we want to continue using password keeper (I like keeper very much, it's so nice app) will than our passwords have cloud storage, and will it be secure to use this app? What do you think?
    12-19-17 12:15 PM
    Maybe a better way to say it is that BB is now in the business of making software that other companies actually want to buy.
    which in part is a bonus feature for BlackBerry... BBRadar is a great achievement. and if they can tie in an Improved version of Blend and a BlackBerry Device with BlackBerry OS it will be a serious win for BlackBerry.

i would go in to detail but hopefully you could tie those three together and see why they should continue creating their own OS and some how get their handheld devices made.
    12-19-17 12:19 PM
    which in part is a bonus feature for BlackBerry... BBRadar is a great achievement. and if they can tie in an Improved version of Blend and a BlackBerry Device with BlackBerry OS it will be a serious win for BlackBerry.

i would go in to detail but hopefully you could tie those three together and see why they should continue creating their own OS and some how get their handheld devices made.
    Radar is running an OS stack owned and developed by BlackBerry. What would you like to add to that exactly?

What would Blend do for Radar?
    12-19-17 12:34 PM
    Could anyone please give me an appropriate link to what BBRadar is?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-17 12:39 PM
    Could anyone please give me an appropriate link to what BBRadar is?

Posted via CB10
    Asset tracking.

https://ca.blackberry.com/qnx-radar/...ainer-tracking
    arfeo likes this.
    12-19-17 12:40 PM
    Radar is running an OS stack owned and developed by BlackBerry. What would you like to add to that exactly?

What would Blend do for Radar?
    "Radar is running an OS stack owned and developed by BlackBerry. What would you like to add to that exactly?"

Not sure exactly what you mean by add to that...

"What would Blend do for Radar?"

since it is an asset tracker with someone in an office checking the status pairing it with a BlackBerry Device for the driver and having the person in the office with a program on the lines of Blend would improve the communication level. if done properly BBRadar might be paired with a Navigation Screen in the cabin where the driver is located and facilitate logistics. Seamless.

BBRadar+HandHeld Device+ Blend type of program to me is a great way to improve logistics. since there are alot of variables when certain assets are on the road or even on ships.
    12-19-17 12:49 PM
    "Radar is running an OS stack owned and developed by BlackBerry. What would you like to add to that exactly?"

Not sure exactly what you mean by add to that...

"What would Blend do for Radar?"

since it is an asset tracker with someone in an office checking the status pairing it with a BlackBerry Device for the driver and having the person in the office with a program on the lines of Blend would improve the communication level. if done properly BBRadar might be paired with a Navigation Screen in the cabin where the driver is located and facilitate logistics. Seamless.

BBRadar+HandHeld Device+ Blend type of program to me is a great way to improve logistics. since there are alot of variables when certain assets are on the road or even on ships.
    Have you seen the Radar demo? It already has a cloud based monitoring service. That’s the whole point of the product. You don’t need Blend to watch your Radar enabled assets. You just need a web browser.

The point of Radar isn’t for that driver to know where he is and what his own environmental conditions are! The point is for people back at the office to know these things, whether the cargo is in transit or not.

The assumption here is that Radar units run QNX, which is owned by BlackBerry. There is no reason to layer BB10 on top of that. This is the stuff QNX was designed to do well.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-19-17 12:54 PM
    Have you seen the Radar demo? It already has a cloud based monitoring service. That’s the whole point of the product. You don’t need Blend to watch your Radar enabled assets. You just need a web browser.

The point of Radar isn’t for that driver to know where he is and what his own environmental conditions are! The point is for people back at the office to know these things, whether the cargo is in transit or not.

The assumption here is that Radar units run QNX, which is owned by BlackBerry. There is no reason to layer BB10 on top of that. This is the stuff QNX was designed to do well.
    i kept it separate on my post. they are three different products offerings. i fully understand how it works from the description.

and you dont think the people in the back office dont want to have some sort of communication with the driver. obviously the driver and the back office have some sort of communication established dont you think so? or do you think some random Joe showes up with Big Rig and just picks up cargo and magically finds out where he needs to go.

BB10/BBOS is a mobile handheld devices operating system its Transparently Clear it will not be layered on top not sure where that notion came from.
    12-19-17 01:06 PM
    i kept it separate on my post. they are three different products offerings. i fully understand how it works from the description.

and you dont think the people in the back office dont want to have some sort of communication with the driver. obviously the driver and the back office have some sort of communication established dont you think so? or do you think some random Joe showes up with Big Rig and just picks up cargo and magically finds out where he needs to go.

BB10/BBOS is a mobile handheld devices operating system its Transparently Clear it will not be layered on top not sure where that notion came from.
    Perhaps a company already has a communication system in place and only wants this tracking capability . . .
    12-19-17 01:11 PM
    Perhaps a company already has a communication system in place and only wants this tracking capability . . .
    that is a true statement. and if BlackBerry can make it work Seamlessly with their products they will capitalize.

it is already a tough task to make it work seamlessly with other communication system.
    12-19-17 01:21 PM
    that is a true statement. and if BlackBerry can make it work Seamlessly with their products they will capitalize.

it is already a tough task to make it work seamlessly with other communication system.
    And maybe it does or will, but if it does, you can bet it won't be BB10. Maybe Android based devices and tablets perhaps lol?
    12-19-17 01:24 PM

I really have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you can explain in more detail?

Drivers are already able to communicate with their fleet managers. Why do you need BB10 for this??!

Radar does not need BB10. The fleet operators do not need BB10. The drivers certainly don’t need BB10 to communicate.

Nobody needs BB10 for anything actually.
    12-19-17 01:24 PM

Thymaster is that you?
    12-19-17 01:31 PM
    And maybe it does or will, but if it does, you can bet it won't be BB10. Maybe Android based devices and tablets perhaps lol?
    ill bet that more on BlackBerry still creating a BBOS/BB10 upgrade just looking at how android powered phones have already been rooted not sure why BlackBerry would select Android to be its base OS... im betting that the new BlackBerry powered by android will get rooted unfortunately.
    12-19-17 01:35 PM
    I really have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you can explain in more detail?

Drivers are already able to communicate with their fleet managers. Why do you need BB10 for this??!

Radar does not need BB10. The fleet operators do not need BB10. The drivers certainly don’t need BB10 to communicate.

Nobody needs BB10 for anything actually.
    Same can be said about iOS and Android OS you can replace BB10 in your post with any of the two and its more of an opinion...

BlackBerry Being a Software Company would not be complete with out their own BlackBerry OS(BBOS/BB10(BBOS 10))

it about secure transfer of information that BlackBerry has been able to deliver with BBOS/BBOS 10 BB10 whatever you want to label it it is still an operating system that Blackberry was able to develop. Created by BlackBerry.
    12-19-17 01:41 PM
    Thymaster is that you?
    haha. Thymaster is more then welcome to chime in.
    12-19-17 01:42 PM
    Same can be said about iOS and Android OS you can replace BB10 in your post with any of the two and its more of an opinion...
    You need some OS for phones and tablets to work. The world has 2 of those now. That’s enough. BB10 adds nothing important as a 3rd or 4th option. Certainly not enough to justify any investment.

BlackBerry Being a Software Company would not be complete with out their own BlackBerry OS(BBOS/BB10(BBOS 10))
    Why? They have QNX. Why do they also need BB10?

it about secure transfer of information that BlackBerry has been able to deliver with BBOS/BBOS 10 BB10 whatever you want to label it it is still an operating system that Blackberry was able to develop. Created by BlackBerry.
    QNX is fully owned by BlackBerry already. That is their operating system for self driving cars and all the rest of their plans.

Their software plans are not around phones, they are around cars and other devices running QNX. The secure Android is just a sideshow that contributes next to nothing to earnings.
    12-19-17 01:47 PM
    ill bet that more on BlackBerry still creating a BBOS/BB10 upgrade just looking at how android powered phones have already been rooted not sure why BlackBerry would select Android to be its base OS... im betting that the new BlackBerry powered by android will get rooted unfortunately.
    Which will upgrade what devices that aren't being produced and sold?
    12-19-17 01:47 PM
    You need some OS for phones and tablets to work. The world has 2 of those now. That’s enough. BB10 adds nothing important as a 3rd or 4th option.
    Since when are 2 enough. pretty sure there are 3rd and 4th options like Bada or Symbian. whose to say BlackBerry cant compete with their own OS.

Why? They have QNX. Why do they also need BB10?
    BlackBerry needs their own OS be it named BBOS/BB10. why would a software company not create their own Operating System?

QNX is fully owned by BlackBerry already. That is their operating system for self driving cars and all the rest of their plans.

Their software plans are not around phones, they are around cars and other devices running QNX. The secure Android is just a sideshow that contributes next to nothing to earnings.
    Would you really call it a sideshow? when BlackBerry had a strong hold in the mobile market share for a long time which in that time were able to become profitable. and sustain a global market share.
    12-19-17 01:58 PM
    Since when are 2 enough. pretty sure there are 3rd and 4th options like Bada or Symbian. whose to say BlackBerry cant compete with their own OS.
    History says that BB can’t compete with their own. They tried and failed.

BlackBerry needs their own OS be it named BBOS/BB10. why would a software company not create their own Operating System?
    Again, they have an OS. It’s called QNX. It does what they need for where they are going. It’s actuallt perfect for their new direction.

Would you really call it a sideshow? when BlackBerry had a strong hold in the mobile market share for a long time which in that time were able to become profitable. and sustain a global market share.
    Kodak used to be profitable and they used to dominate global market share. Past glories don’t mean a thing.
    12-19-17 02:06 PM
    now i believe we are on the same page. i was trying to get too.

regardless of what it is called to the public... they should still find out a way to create their own OS .
    No, we are NOT on the same page.

Building their own phones and hardware nearly bankrupted BB!!!!!!
    So, they GOT OUT of that business.

They sold all the hardware assets, laid off ALL the developers and hardware designers.

There is NOTHING LEFT to build another BBOS!!

They have made a DELIBERATE SHIFT in their corporate identity, to being a PURELY SOFTWARE company.

So, NO, they SHOULD NOT "still found out a way to create their own OS".
    That effort nearly bankrupted the company once.

It's a bit like saying IBM should go back to developing and marketing their 1950s vintage tabulating machines. It would be corporate madness.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-19-17 02:17 PM
    No, we are NOT on the same page.

Building their own phones and hardware nearly bankrupted BB!!!!!!
    So, they GOT OUT of that business.

They sold all the hardware assets, laid off ALL the developers and hardware designers.

There is NOTHING LEFT to build another BBOS!!

They have made a DELIBERATE SHIFT in their corporate identity, to being a PURELY SOFTWARE company.

So, NO, they SHOULD NOT "still found out a way to create their own OS".
    That effort nearly bankrupted the company once.

It's a bit like saying IBM should go back to developing and marketing their 1950s vintage tabulating machines. It would be corporate madness.
    LOL seems as if your on the wrong Forum... not sure if this is CrackBerry for BlackBerry Fanatics. or the Anti-BlackBerry forum
    12-19-17 02:23 PM
    But, I agree, everything else you mentioned was released - including BB10 itself - way too late.
    Actually, BB10, in my mind, was not ready until 10.2.1. Had they focused on maturing the UX, saving development of a native API for later, and adopted Android as the SDK for Flow they may have been able to deliver earlier at less cost and with more interest from developers. Chen when he came on board had the opportunity to make this course correction in 2013, but (or as some say the board) chose Google instead.
    12-19-17 02:28 PM
    LOL seems as if your on the wrong Forum... not sure if this is CrackBerry for BlackBerry Fanatics. or the Anti-BlackBerry forum
    I am a Blackberry lover. I bought a PRIV when I could no longer get a critical work-related app to work on my Classic.
    I could have chosen Apple or a different Android. I chose a BB product instead.
    I moved my wife from an iPhone to a PRIV.

So, I am NOT anti-Blackberry, not in the slightest.

What I AM against is this fallacy that BB can bring BB10 back.
    I find the idea that they can only be called a software company if they have their own OS to be ridiculous.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-19-17 02:28 PM
756 ... 7891011 ...