Interesting, when in early-mid 2020s there will be a new trend for classic phones, as people fed up with those faceless phablets... will BB be there to earn some easy billions, or will they be late again?..

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    12-17-17 04:33 AM
    Interesting, when in early-mid 2020s there will be a new trend for classic phones, as people fed up with those faceless phablets... will BB be there to earn some easy billions, or will they be late again?..

Posted via CB10
    People may be using implants by then with no need for a pkb/notification led or logo. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 05:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    This was supposedly happening this year with the comeback of flip phones and simple devices from new companies. But I don't see them anywhere.
    12-17-17 09:04 AM
    No. BB's quarterly reports don't go into that much detail.
    Well on a side note:

With what Apple is doing with their UI, Alan Brenner's early proposal to use Android as the SDK to produce Flow apps on QNX seems even more prescient. That the Android pivot did not start with this, considering where Google Service Framework was in 2013, show how much less prescient John Chen is (or the board had been).
    12-17-17 09:40 AM
    Well on a side note:

With what Apple is doing with their UI, Alan Brenner's early proposal to use Android as the SDK to produce Flow apps on QNX seems even more prescient. That the Android pivot did not start with this, considering where Google Service Framework was in 2013, show how much less prescient John Chen is (or the board had been).
    Beyond the million reasons brought up countless times before in countless other threads as to why this is non-sensical, what could have been done in 2010 has no bearing on Chen.

By the time he came on board, BB10 was already on its way out.
    12-17-17 10:08 AM
    To get right to the point, what could a BB10 device do starting 01/01/2020?

Call, text, e-mail? Glitchy web browsing?
    12-17-17 10:09 AM
    To get right to the point, what could a BB10 device do starting 01/01/2020?

Call, text, e-mail? Glitchy web browsing?
    Something like that.

Android 4.3 in 2020 will be about as useful as the complete lack of BlackBerry World.
    12-17-17 10:09 AM
    Something like that.
    Still better than dumb K9 phones of today and those in 2020.

BB10 devices, the perfect dumb phones of tomorrow.
    12-17-17 10:11 AM
    Can you inform us with how much was spent on development R&D, developer programs, advertising and most importantly inventory (including accessories) putting everything into perspective?
    I don't know where the quoted figure is from but I wouldn't be surprised if total spend on BB10 was over a billion. Using this site we can trace back their R&D spend across the entire company leading up to 2013/2014 (or whatever year you wish),

https://researchinfosource.com/top100_corp.php

And here's an article that discusses their marketing plans for BB10 at launch.

https://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...-new-campaign/
    12-17-17 11:47 AM
    And here's an article that discusses their marketing plans for BB10 at launch.

https://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...-new-campaign/
    I remember that "big marketing push".

Biggest dud ever.

Joel
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-17-17 01:05 PM
    If BlackBerry was smart, they would outsource BlackBerry Appworld to Amazon, at least the BB10 version. I mean, they already have an agreement with Amazon and the Amazon Appstore is already preinstalled in 10.2.x or later OS versions. Amazon could simply add a section for BB10 native apps which would only show up when browsing with a BB10 device and migrate all BB10 apps to Amazon Appstore before shutting down BB Appworld.

This would be a win win situation for everyone.
    12-17-17 01:34 PM
    If BlackBerry was smart, they would outsource BlackBerry Appworld to Amazon, at least the BB10 version. I mean, they already have an agreement with Amazon and the Amazon Appstore is already preinstalled in 10.2.x or later OS versions. Amazon could simply add a section for BB10 native apps which would only show up when browsing with a BB10 device and migrate all BB10 apps to Amazon Appstore before shutting down BB Appworld.

Why? It's not worth it to anyone.

The BB10 user base by 2020 would likely be less than 100,000.

It's probably dropping below a million sometime over the next few months.
    Last edited by conite; 12-17-17 at 01:51 PM.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-17-17 01:40 PM
    I remember that "big marketing push".

Biggest dud ever.

Joel
    Some of the non Super Bowl stuff they did was pretty neat but I'm sure it was overshadowed by it

Technical reasons aside, why would Amazon do that? By 2020 there will probably only be a fraction of the remaining BBOS/BB10 userbase still active on the platform. It'll cost Amazon money to continue supporting those users.
    12-17-17 01:40 PM

Not sure Amazon would stand to gain from this.
    12-17-17 01:45 PM
    Some of the non Super Bowl stuff they did was pretty neat but I'm sure it was overshadowed by it.
    I never saw anything else they did.

(I purposely ignore YouTube videos, because you have to hunt for that, and in my opinion, not an effective advertising method to reach someone not looking for it).

There was a series of Q10 commercials by Verizon that was not bad, but that's all I remember.

I'm in South Louisiana, so I'm in the kind of market that BlackBerry probably should have made some attempt to gain a wider audience. Instead, I think they concentrated in the larger N.Y., L.A. type markets... where BlackBerry was apparently largely ignored.

Hines also promised a big advertising blitz once the Z10 was finally going to be released by AT&T.

AT&T released the Z10 and...
    Nothing...silence...crickets...

Of course, I got one, but I was going to anyway. I wasn't the type of customer they needed to convince.
    12-17-17 02:12 PM
    Not sure Amazon would stand to gain from this.
    Same reason as when they initially added their Appstore on BB10, increased traffic and awareness of the Amazon brand. They would get a LOT more BB10 users if BB10 apps would also be included. This should have been done from the start if you think about it, a unified Appstore with both Native BB10 and current Android apps instead of having 2 separate app stores on the device which gets confusing to the non-technical user.
    12-17-17 02:17 PM
    Same reason as when they initially added their Appstore on BB10, increased traffic and awareness of the Amazon brand. They would get a LOT more BB10 users if BB10 apps would also be included. This should have been done from the start if you think about it, a unified Appstore with both Native BB10 and current Android apps instead of having 2 separate app stores on the device which gets confusing to the non-technical user.
    How would a few thousand BB10 holdouts add awareness of Amazon? Are you suggesting those remaining folks are that out of touch?
    12-17-17 02:24 PM
    Nobody in South America uses BBM and BIS anymore, Blackberry is a defunct brand; Samsung Huawei, LG and Iphones moves the market here.

I'm just one of the insane group who still uses BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 03:57 PM
    Um, Amazon is suffering from not enough brand awareness???
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-17-17 04:17 PM
    Why do people always criticize "dumb" phones? What's wrong with a phone that does solid calls, texts, emails? Who cares if BB10 phones are little more than "dumb" phones by 2020? They can still do the basic functions. Plus light browsing, docs to go, music, videos. Who knows, by 2020 maybe some of us will have lost enough brain cells through natural aging that we prefer BB10 "dumb" simplicity to the fancy 3D-AMOLED, AR, foldable, mini-tablet gaming media phones that will exist by then...
    12-17-17 05:24 PM
    So, you can’t knock a company for moving on & minimizing the blow back from loyal users whenever they can. It’s a fine/difficult line to walk. If they can win in the software, IoT and automotive game...then good luck. As for us users, if your usage of mobile technology allows you to still use BBOS devices then great. You’re not “old school” or in denial. You just have different needs and I’m glad that they’re being met.

If you’re like me, then you have to “move with the cheese” and get with Blackberry on Android like the lovely KEYone or bounce to something else like Apple to get your fix. I still pop my SIM in my Blackberry Classic every few months for texts, emails and twitter but I switch back to reality when I hit a limitation that makes me counter productive. I’ll hold on to my Z30 and my Classic for nostalgia purposes and upgrade to the latest TCL creations whenever I can!
    12-17-17 11:02 PM

Yup that could be possible.....just like google play sectioning off visibility of particular apps to 'certain organization members',
    'bb10' os could be an 'organization'. ....and yes it would be more natural for Amazon to host that, should BB go ahead and shutdown the running of BlackBerryWorld itself after the two year window guarantee of keeping it around.

New Google Play Publishing Method Enables Targeted Distribution | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Though I don't think they would care to make it invisible to the world, just not downloadable to a non-bb10 device would suffice. A boutique within Amazon Appstore or Google play either way.
    12-18-17 01:09 AM
    Why do people always criticize "dumb" phones? What's wrong with a phone that does solid calls, texts, emails? Who cares if BB10 phones are little more than "dumb" phones by 2020? They can still do the basic functions. Plus light browsing, docs to go, music, videos. Who knows, by 2020 maybe some of us will have lost enough brain cells through natural aging that we prefer BB10 "dumb" simplicity to the fancy 3D-AMOLED, AR, foldable, mini-tablet gaming media phones that will exist by then...
    You mean no one in bb world is going to develop an app to project an app screen across two phones to mimic the foldable bb10 phone? That plus a little duct-tape will keep bb10 apace in this space. Why doesn't BB sponsor a local comp sci project to that effect?
    That and crackberry can sell the two=phone holder that will make this a practicallity once the roll of duct tape runs out. Hmmm anyone guess how would they achieve this using the existing bb10 codebase? Wifi networking? between the two devices? NFC? USB? Bluetooth? Master-slave /Client-server? Proof of concept Docs to go/ email and hub extensions?
    12-18-17 01:29 AM
    Yup that could be possible.....just like google play sectioning off visibility of particular apps to 'certain organization members',
    'bb10' os could be an 'organization'. ....and yes it would be more natural for Amazon to host that, should BB go ahead and shutdown the running of BlackBerryWorld itself after the two year window guarantee of keeping it around.

New Google Play Publishing Method Enables Targeted Distribution | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Though I don't think they would care to make it invisible to the world, just not downloadable to a non-bb10 device would suffice. A boutique within Amazon Appstore or Google play either way.
    But why bother? Most BB10 devices will be over five years old. Number of active users at that point will be miniscule and shrinking. Many of which will be second or third hand users in some developing market that BlackBerry doesn't really care about. And most of those aren't going to pay for new apps, much less a service fee to cover the cost to operate this emulated BlackBerry World.

Bottom line BlackBerry isn't going to turn over BBIDs and and account info to Amazon, nor try and get developer permission to relocate apps. Even if they contacted all the developers, how many would even respond?

Sometimes it's just better to let it die.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-18-17 10:55 AM

But why bother? Most BB10 devices will be over five years old. Number of active users at that point will be miniscule and shrinking. Many of which will be second or third hand users in some developing market that BlackBerry doesn't really care about. And most of those aren't going to pay for new apps, much less a service fee to cover the cost to operate this emulated BlackBerry World.

Bottom line BlackBerry isn't going to turn over BBIDs and and account info to Amazon, nor try and get developer permission to relocate apps. Even if they contacted all the developers, how many would even respond?

Sometimes it's just better to let it die.
    12-18-17 10:55 AM
756 ... 56789 ...