Ando do I download the BES 5?

Posted via CB10 for my  blackberry® passport ™
    12-16-17 02:25 PM
    Well I guess that leaves TCL with just two years to come up with a BB10 OS device, 'cause Bland-roid OS just doesn't cut it, neither does Apple's child-toy ipod with a phone slapped-on. Could it be there are vast numbers of people out there saying, you'll get my bb10/bbOS device off me, only if you pry it from my cold dead hands? (cold, not to be confused with the current deep freeze in the NorthEast) Hence the need to incentivize the switch, and get those sterling devices to the incinerators? Lest others be lured round the open fire with chestnuts roasting... into the smoothie goodness of BB10.

Will Monopoly Uncle Ebineezer Google Scrooge finally call out, you boy, yes you there....go fetch the fattest bb10 update in the shop window and deliver it in time for Tiny Blackberry10 Tim....give 'im some new legs and all...so he can go on living... Ha ha ha...oh boy oh boy! Boy the ghost of anti-trust Christmas future, sure made me (Ebeneezer Google) see the light.
    ratfinkstooley and goncal like this.
    12-16-17 02:26 PM
    Well I guess that leaves TCL with just two years to come up with a BB10 OS device,
    Yeah...

Good luck telling them that. I'd like to know how they respond to your request.
    12-16-17 02:52 PM
    How do you think BlackBerry was planning on replacing the BIS revenue with BB10? Hardware sells alone would ever bring in enough revenue. Sorry you don't want to believe BlackBerry was building the same type of revenue stream, but it was the only way they could survive as an OS. If you go back and research what they were telling us (app developers) in 2012 you will see this was BlackBerry's plan.
    Again, it's not a binary choice between "privacy" and "Google" that companies can operate under, Apple's initiatives while not perfect are a good example of this because they're able to monetize with ads while using fewer data sources and offering the end user some form of control over the process.

BlackBerry was pretty public with their developer initiatives, if you claim their plan was to rival Google's data mining and ad network I'd love to see a source. From what I remember, the BlackBerry Advertising Service was simply a frontend for other networks so BlackBerry wasn't dealing with ads, buyers, etc directly like Google, Facebook, and others do.

The link I previously posted shows examples of mega user profiles being an issue in the 90s so this isn't about hating on Google. Had BlackBerry followed Google's lead I'm sure privacy advocates would go after them as well.

https://www.propublica.org/article/g...e-web-tracking

Edit:

Through a single relationship with RIM, a developer has access to RIM's many advertising network partners and can select which networks will get their inventory. Agencies and advertisers will be able to work with the advertising networks they know, leveraging existing relationships, while maintaining control of their creative processes. Under the program, developers will receive an industry standard 60 percent of the advertising revenue.
    https://crackberry.com/rim-launches-...tising-service
    12-16-17 03:46 PM
    Well I guess that leaves TCL with just two years to come up with a BB10 OS device, 'cause Bland-roid OS just doesn't cut it.
    You should give BB Android a go, Hub services really makes Android feel more like BB10. It's great to have third party apps integrate into the Hub again beyond a simple bell notification. It's like going back to 2013 when the Hub and BB10 had all the potential in the world, this is probably the closest we'll get to a redo.

I doubt we'll see any new licensees step up for BB10 at this point, it's hard to sell new devices when your main source for apps is shutting down in two years.
    12-16-17 04:00 PM
    So if the Blackberry World Store shuts down then how would BB10 users get their BB10 apps again?
    12-16-17 04:00 PM
    So if the Blackberry World Store shuts down then how would BB10 users get their BB10 apps again?
    I assume BB10 will still have the Amazon Appstore.
    12-16-17 04:02 PM
    The Founders of BlackBerry must be livid seeing how a great company has sold its soul to the hands of Google. What an embarrassment. No matter how much BlackBerry tries to sell the fact that they secured Android it will never be a true or real BlackBerry device. It will always be an Android only device with BlackBerry based apps. Just they put a BlackBerry name plate on it doesn't make it a BlackBerry. A software company that can't even provide software for their own devices. Great work guys. Keep up the screw jobs. A bunch of Vince McMahons.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    12-16-17 04:33 PM
    Assuming that developers still offer applications, the same way we did before BlackBerry World. Download from the developer or third party site and install. But I bet the signing servers will go down too. So that means running unsigned applications in developer mode. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of developers' programmes I would run under those conditions.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    12-16-17 04:35 PM
    The Founders of BlackBerry must be livid seeing how a great company has sold its soul to the hands of Google. What an embarrassment. No matter how much BlackBerry tries to sell the fact that they secured Android it will never be a true or real BlackBerry device. It will always be an Android only device with BlackBerry based apps. Just they put a BlackBerry name plate on it doesn't make it a BlackBerry. A software company that can't even provide software for their own devices. Great work guys. Keep up the screw jobs. A bunch of Vince McMahons.

Posted via CB10
    The Founders of BlackBerry caused this in the first place with their reluctance and stubbornness. They got out and grabbed their stash of cash along the way.

I don't think they really even care at this point.
    12-16-17 04:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    The founders of BlackBerry sold out before all the others did. They sold out most to all of their holdings before the BB10 rollout and didn't even match Fairfax/Prem bid. Tells you what "loyalties" they felt they had regarding the bonfire they started years before.
    12-16-17 05:37 PM
    The Founders of BlackBerry caused this in the first place with their reluctance and stubbornness. They got out and grabbed their stash of cash along the way.

I don't think they really even care at this point.
    They're still counting their money. The fact that none of them have ever come back to "rescue" BB10 should tell all the loyalists something, they don't want to hear it, no matter how loud and obvious...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-16-17 05:41 PM
    They're still counting their money. The fact that none of them have ever come back to "rescue" BB10 should tell all the loyalists something, they don't want to hear it, no matter how loud and obvious...
    Reality hurts. It tears down the walls of the cushy safe space.
    12-16-17 06:06 PM
    I have one important question for all those who may choose to remain on BB10 past the support deadline. Is there an alternative to downloading BB10 app after the Blackberry World Store closes? Can the apps be somehow all extracted and stored and distributed after the fact? If the store is close would that even be legal? Is there any way at all to aquire BB10 apps after that deadline arrives ?
    My personal solution for this problem:
    A very old computer with Windows 7 and BlackBerry Link, no internet connection, only purpose is to install backups on our familly's PlayBooks and BB10 devices.

But honestly, after BB10 is EOL, I will switch to an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-17 06:22 PM
    It would be good if BlackBerry keep its plans to release BlackBerry HUB for iOS devices. I would rather transition to an iOS ecosystem only then to have to use Android + iOS. Currently I do use a BB10 device and iOS. Been like that since 2007. I also have a Priv and KeyONE but after the dropped support of Priv after two years I don't trust them anymore to own a BlackBerry Android...

Oh well...

Leonardo

Posted via CB10
    12-16-17 07:50 PM
    You know, a WELL-integrated Blackberry Hub on the iPhoneX or future iphone models might not be a bad idea. It could do a LOT(!!!) to sway BB10 fans over to iOS.
    12-16-17 08:00 PM
    Technology is changing so rapidly that it's not clear what to expect in two years from the mobile phone hardware landscape

Posted via CB10
    12-16-17 09:54 PM
    The only hope here is the Chen allows more than 2 years to continue. A total shame to abandon a great software. I can't imagine it costing a whole lot to support email and texting for those who solely rely on it. But it's a financial decision .
    12-16-17 09:55 PM
    I really don't care whether anyone in particular feels sorry about our predicament or not. What I DO feel is frustration over whether the shutdown of BlackBerry world will prevent me from using link on Windows 7 to backup & more easily save content from my Q10 on my PC. Since I always save pictures to the microSD card I can always pull the card & use a card reader if I have to in order to save pictures onto my laptop. (it'd be a pain in the ***, but doable.)

I'm more concerned about whether I will be able to use link to connect with Outlook on my laptop so I can quickly put new calendar or contact entries onto the device. It will always be easier to use a full size keyboard vs the pkb on any phone. Is link dependent on the existence of BlackBerry World for anything besides updates? I have all of the apps I need, so as long as there's not a way they'll expire if they don't get updates I should be fine for as long as the hardware works.

Since I still don't know if I'll like the size change from the Passport instead of trying it now I'm just going to get a Classic to replace my Q10. Other than the tool belt there's no real difference between it from my Q10 so there won't be any learning curve to speak of. I actually have wanted a real "off" button for a long time anyway. So my biggest concern is the issue of whether the closing of BlackBerry World will cause problems.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    12-16-17 10:28 PM
    BB10 cost the company a net loss of around $10 billion, so even with the Qualcomm refund, they're in the hole over $9 B.

That's like opening a hotdog stand and selling hotdogs that cost you $5 each (when you add food cost, labor, electricity, advertising, licensing, etc.) for $4 each. You may be happy that you sold more today than you did yesterday, but all you ended up doing is being further in debt. BB10 needed to sell an absolute minimum of 10M devices per year just to break even, and on their best year, they almost sold half that, and then had to significantly discount all of the excess inventory they'd built and contracted for, which led to further losses. Mike's concept for the BB10 platform required sales of 20M or more (he predicted 30-40M) per year in order for BB to do well enough to be comfortably profitable, but they never got anywhere close to that.
    Can you inform us with how much was spent on development R&D, developer programs, advertising and most importantly inventory (including accessories) putting everything into perspective?
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-17-17 12:34 AM
    Hmm...
    BBOS will be deactivated on BlackBerry's NOC, BlackBerry World will shout down.
    BUT no words about BlackBerry Protect, BBM Enterprise. What does it mean?

I think, soon BlackBerry will announce something like "BBM Enterprise servers will be deactivated for BB10 users" or something like that. But in January 2018 BlackBerry will announce those New Platform witch include EoT. QNX Software supporting many types of hardware. But will be BB10 in new infrastructure - big question.
    PlayBook and BB10 (after wipe or reinstall software) trying to connect at BlackBerry infrastructure. If it doesn't work after 12/31/2019 BB10 devices can be used only for calling and sms without Email.

I think things will be on this scenario:
    Only BBM Enterprise, UEM, corporate software and EoT in infrastructure.
    No BB10 and PlayBooks.

Will Works:
    BlackBerry Android devices,Android, iOS, etc connected to the BBM Enterprise and UEM.

So anyway, in this case we still can use our PRIVs, K1, Motions with BBM Enterprise /UEM/ etc. Plus we can download any apps from GPlay. No patches for PRIV? Newermind.
    It still works and will works long time after that. Same fate will be with K1, Motion within next 14 month.

Very funny to see that BlackBerry will not rolling out updates for PRIV (but Google will until Q3 2018) and K1, Motion (later).
    But Google only in last 2016 had disconnect all Androids 2.3.3 from GPlay (2.3.3 only in 2016!!!)

After news about updates for PRIV, I don't really care about patches for my PRIV.
    My PRIV still works with BES12 and my daily driver. Still secure with BES, still works with my banking. Still awesome.
    And I'm really don't care abot replace it within few next years.

I think such a perspective for all devices is much better than knowing that your device will become a brick in 1.5 years or even earlier (it is not particularly believed in 2019). Other Android users do not receive anything at all, except for processors and new firmware in the devices released in the market. And it's okay -they use all applications, unlike BB10, which was buried already on even on the BES-servers, by and large.
    Last edited by mindedge; 12-17-17 at 02:34 AM. Reason: finished the thought
    12-17-17 12:39 AM
    Blackberry should have offered the marketing of moving to Andriod with starting with the PRIV for BB10 users in a loyalty program 2 years ago.

The Passport was the best Blackberry I had ever owned for my daily driver.

I now have a Keyone which I have owned for 5 months and yes it is a good phone, my learning cure with moving to Android has taken time.

The up shot of having a Blackberry running Android OS is you are more connected and more productive in the connected world.

Blackberry now need to build on their Keyone Sales and need a Flagship version and also offering another 7'' Tablet but this time with a physical keyboard because even running a Android OS is still quite Business Focused and I feel that there is gap in the market for such a product.

Blackberry do make great phones just need to gain more traction and I can see they have a slick Android OS which will only get more BB10 features in the future as Google Android OS become more Business friendly
    mindedge likes this.
    12-17-17 01:23 AM
    Like most of the anti-BB10 mouth pieces around here, he doesn't actually know. He just spouts off opinion and speculation as fact.
    Lol BB10 fanboys are such a hoot. 🎅
    12-17-17 01:40 AM
    Can you inform us with how much was spent on development R&D, developer programs, advertising and most importantly inventory (including accessories) putting everything into perspective?
    No. BB's quarterly reports don't go into that much detail.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-17-17 02:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry no longer have its own devices since last year.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-17-17 02:50 AM
756 ... 45678 ...