That's fine. BB made peace with that when they left the hardware business. You are free to go to iOS, or Sailfish, or back to a flip phone if you like. BB doesn't have anything to offer you phone-wise if you aren't interested in Android, and they're okay with that.
    What BlackBerry should of been okay with was that they are not iOS or sailfish or a flippphone they are BlackBerry and they are misrepresenting what they are by bringing in andriod and not delivering a true BlackBerry device
    12-15-17 07:13 PM
    What BlackBerry should of been okay with was that they are not iOS or sailfish or a flippphone they are BlackBerry and they are misrepresenting what they are by bringing in andriod and not delivering a true BlackBerry device
    BlackBerry doesn't make devices. They haven't since 2015, and they closed the hardware division in 2016.
    12-15-17 07:17 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't make devices. They haven't since 2015, and they closed the hardware division in 2016.
    I think I didn't elaborate what a true BlackBerry device should be besides containing an operating system that BlackBerry has/had developed on its own. RIM/ BlackBerry had created a device and an operating system at the same time if they don't make the hardware and then don't make the software what is BlackBerry? From my standpoint being pro- BlackBerry to continue they at least have to continue developing BBOS so that a hardware company can provide the physical keyboard device with a screen or whatever type of outer body they want to create. Having no hand in the hardware division is putting BlackBerry in a position that is hard to keep creating developing a operating system
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    12-15-17 07:36 PM
    BlackBerry Passport 2 is now officially unconfirmed!
    12-15-17 07:43 PM
    Personally I feel that this is a welcome and smart announcement from Blackberry, particularly with regards to BBOS. I run a Bold 9900 and a Pearl 9100, using which ever suites my mood. I have wondered how long before Blackberry pulls the plug. I now know it won’t be for at least two years. That’s good news for me (so long as my carrier continues to provide BIS). On the other hand Blackberry is saying that all good things must come to an end. And if so let us help each other out by selling you a discounted Android Blackberry, possibly benefiting the customer and Blackberry. But they have also been deliberately ambiguous. If in two years time there are enough customers still using BBOS, providing Blackberry with welcome recurring income for doing virtually nothing themselves, then maybe BIS will continue beyond the two year minimum.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    12-15-17 09:11 PM
    December 31, 2019... Adios BlackBerry. Never more..

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 09:37 PM
    December 31, 2019... Adios BlackBerry. Never more..

Posted via CB10
    Sooooo... This means you're getting rid of your 3 spare Passports? 😎
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-15-17 10:10 PM
    I certainly don't want to take anything away from the Keyone. It was a pleasure to use at the toronto Crackberry meetup.

It's just not the same when the name of your OS can be confused with items in the grocery store.

Sent from my Passport Red Edition
    So that's your hang up? Then just refer to it as Android N then. Problem solved.
    12-15-17 10:15 PM
    After 2019, if you own a classic or Q10 will the email and text function work or does this mean the entire phone stops operating?
    12-15-17 10:23 PM
    After 2019, if you own a classic or Q10 will the email and text function work or does this mean the entire phone stops operating?
    Those functions should still work.

Just no BlackBerry World. Plus, if the BBID infrastructure goes down, there would be no BBM, no BlackBerry Protect, and no way to wipe or reload the OS.
    12-15-17 11:07 PM
    BB10 cost the company a net loss of around $10 billion, so even with the Qualcomm refund, they're in the hole over $9 B.

That's like opening a hotdog stand and selling hotdogs that cost you $5 each (when you add food cost, labor, electricity, advertising, licensing, etc.) for $4 each. You may be happy that you sold more today than you did yesterday, but all you ended up doing is being further in debt. BB10 needed to sell an absolute minimum of 10M devices per year just to break even, and on their best year, they almost sold half that, and then had to significantly discount all of the excess inventory they'd built and contracted for, which led to further losses. Mike's concept for the BB10 platform required sales of 20M or more (he predicted 30-40M) per year in order for BB to do well enough to be comfortably profitable, but they never got anywhere close to that.
    exclude sammy, count how many handset maker making profit in the droid world? (that not counting on gov handout)... sammy make most of money on components, LG on screen, even fire-amazon book reader, make money on selling ebook (just check the price of ebook now... scary)... BB10 handset is end to end part for BES... it just not sell that much of BES to cover the private plane, alicia key, drunken director/vp, purple smoke superbowl ads and formula one race... we agree to dis-agree. it is all history now.
    Hil1 likes this.
    12-15-17 11:38 PM

Just no BlackBerry World. Plus, if the BBID infrastructure goes down, there would be no BBM, no BlackBerry Protect, and no way to wipe or reload the OS.
    That's what I was wondering about earlier in this thread.

When BIS goes down, we already know how it affects the legacy BB phones. Many carriers dropped BIS long ago and there are ways around it with regular data or, for the later phones that included it, on wi-fi. No BB services, but there are email solutions.

The issue with BB10 simply raises more questions. What happens with BBID and Protect being the primary ones. Hopefully, BB will come back with something more detailed prior to the shutdown. Will the senors on the devices stop working when the 4-dot BB logo disappears (I mentioned the December 2013 NOC/sensor issue earlier)? Will they/can they decouple all devices to operate independently prior to the shut down?

Just curious to see what they come up with. I may or may not still have my Z10 by then to find out.
    12-15-17 11:59 PM
    On a side note, I wonder if the few carriers who still carry BIS - and they all have wanted to drop it for years now - have made a deal to keep it until BlackBerry kills it themselves.
    12-16-17 12:04 AM
    What happens with BBID and Protect being the primary ones. Hopefully, BB will come back with something more detailed prior to the shutdown. Will the senors on the devices stop working when the 4-dot BB logo disappears (I mentioned the December 2013 NOC/sensor issue earlier)? Will they/can they decouple all devices to operate independently prior to the shut down?
    The whole purpose of this announcement, two years in advance of the shutdown, is to give fair warning that many of those things won't work, and to avoid having to spend any money on work-arounds. Undoing the reliance on BBIDs and BB services would require plenty of expensive development time (assuming it is possible at all), and BB isn't going to spend a single unnecessary penny on that for EOL devices that will be 6-7 years old at that point. Why would they? What is the business case?
    12-16-17 12:52 AM

You should stop at "Just no BlackBerry World", IMO. BBID and BBAW are separate services. At least, BB hasn't announced BBID to be shut down.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-16-17 02:35 AM
    I will probably be right there at the bitter end with my Classic. Lol. Just sad to think that the app store would finally go away. Guess I will start saving apps on my computer.
    12-16-17 06:41 AM
    12-16-17 10:14 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sVRmwmC.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	432355
    This should go on the front page of CB.
    12-16-17 10:28 AM
    This should go on the front page of CB.
    The CB moto.
    12-16-17 10:33 AM
    The difference between Apple and Google asides from the scope of their collection is while Apple does collect some user data they don't build user profiles with it so ads aren't as targeted and there aren't as many privacy concerns compared to what Google or Facebook do. Tim Cook has also been quite vocal about what differentiates themselves from other services,

Apple goes public on privacy policy - Telegraph

I don't think BlackBerry was building user profiles with their ad network either. Ad networks, data collection, etc on their own aren't bad, it's usually what's done with that data or the amount of data that makes some people uneasy.
    How do you think BlackBerry was planning on replacing the BIS revenue with BB10? Hardware sells alone would ever bring in enough revenue. Sorry you don't want to believe BlackBerry was building the same type of revenue stream, but it was the only way they could survive as an OS. If you go back and research what they were telling us (app developers) in 2012 you will see this was BlackBerry's plan.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-16-17 11:35 AM

Autoloader method is impossible then as well because a new install needs contact with BBID?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-17 12:16 PM
    Autoloader method is impossible then as well because a new install needs contact with BBID?

Posted via CB10
    Correct.
    12-16-17 12:48 PM
    And the service BIS is also going to be shut down? For those who have BES, you will also have these changes?

Posted via CB10 for my  blackberry® passport ™
    12-16-17 01:16 PM
    Correct.
    Wish they would do it the way pebble did and make it so Yu don't have to login to setup and use the device without their servers
    12-16-17 01:16 PM
    And the service BIS is also going to be shut down? For those who have BES, you will also have these changes?

Posted via CB10 for my  blackberry® passport ™
    Only for BES5.
    12-16-17 01:59 PM
756 ... 34567 ...