I have one important question for all those who may choose to remain on BB10 past the support deadline. Is there an alternative to downloading BB10 app after the Blackberry World Store closes? Can the apps be somehow all extracted and stored and distributed after the fact? If the store is close would that even be legal? Is there any way at all to aquire BB10 apps after that deadline arrives ?
    abalourdos likes this.
    12-15-17 07:39 AM
    Don't think that we will get any os updates. Your phone will still work and you will be able to use data also. Recently I've just been using my passport via the Web browser instead of apps and adding shortcuts from the browser to home screen so they work like an app. These end dates were always in the pipeline to happen at sometime and now have become final. Enjoy your device and maybe something via the blackberry / tcl version android in the near future will spark an interest!
    And wake-up that classic! ;-)
    Posted via CB10
    Oh...there will be OS updates...but to remove things and to make the device less usable. This will aid blackberry out the door.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 07:41 AM
    It's just not the same when the name of your OS can be confused with items in the grocery store.
    Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry-292101f4-ea49-4475-b01d-69a1b0fd3615.jpeg
    12-15-17 07:46 AM
    Now it's official: OS10 is EOL!
    They killed it on purpose - I also highly doubt that Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn etc. stopped their services themselves.
    I claim this came from BlackBerry, they have been working so hard to convince people to Android to get out
    of that handset business.

And I wouldn't be angry as an loyal long-term customer if they were honest (in 2015):
    "That's it folks, OS10 is done and Android is the ONLY future!" - so that would have hurt, but I could have swallowed it.

But all they did: "No, we are fully committed to BlackBerry 10 and to those customers!"
    And: "Facebook decided to leave us and we can't do anything about it!"
    And: "WhatsApp will stop their service and then all of a sudden they changed their minds, twice!"

That's bs and lying, that's what bothers me, not that they will stop the service.

I know a big German company who have always had BlackBerry devices as their company standard (BBOS and OS10 since 2014, a year after it launched) - their IT department wanted to continue to use BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry denied contracts for that back in 2016.
    They told them to use other devices but should comeback for MDM.
    That's when I was 100% sure, all they did way lying.
    So then, here we are now with that bitter taste at the end of an iconic OS.
    12-15-17 07:47 AM
    It's iconic alright. Iconic as in a 10 billion dollar failure.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-15-17 07:53 AM
    It's iconic alright. Iconic as in a 10 billion dollar failure.
    That's not OS10's fault it BlackBerry's management that failed in every possible way.
    12-15-17 07:58 AM
    That's not OS10's fault it BlackBerry's management that failed in every possible way.
    Oh stop it guys...Chen has done everything to stop the bleeding while trying to make bb10 work...it was over a long time ago when they announced the Priv on android

Posted via CB10
    john_v likes this.
    12-15-17 08:01 AM
    So does this mean you won't be able to activate any new bb10 device?
    12-15-17 08:08 AM
    Oh stop it guys...Chen has done everything to stop the bleeding while trying to make bb10 work...it was over a long time ago when they announced the Priv on android

Posted via CB10
    did I say a word about Chen?
    He was hired AFTER they failed for OS10.

And what I'm mad about is how they were lying after it.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-15-17 08:10 AM
    did I say a word about Chen?
    He was hired AFTER they failed for OS10.

You said management. You weren't specific. Nevertheless I'm good where the company is headed and bb mobile handing the hardware. So far both devices are pretty sweet and even more surprises with respect to hardware in 2018

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 08:16 AM
    You said management. You weren't specific. Nevertheless I'm good where the company is headed and bb mobile handing the hardware. So far both devices are pretty sweet and even more surprises with respect to hardware in 2018

Posted via CB10
    Ahm, there was management before Chen.
    Remember Heins Ketchup and Mike L.?

They still have to fulfill contracts.
    That's why they stopped selling OS10 devices to companies since 2016
    12-15-17 08:17 AM

I still don't see a lie.

There is just a disconnect between your definition of "support', and BlackBerry's.

Keeping BlackBerry World open, providing occasional updates, providing ongoing technical support, and providing a hardware repair service, are sufficient in my mind to show a commitment to a product.
    unichips and anon(9803228) like this.
    12-15-17 08:26 AM
    I still don't see a lie.

There is just a disconnect between your definition of "support', and BlackBerry's.

Keeping BlackBerry World open, providing occasional updates, providing ongoing technical support, and providing a hardware repair service, are sufficient in my mind to show a commitment to a product.
    I'm talking about telling people that there were fully committed and bla.
    They have left OS10 in 2015.
    12-15-17 08:32 AM
    They have left OS10 in 2015.
    Yes. And they provided all the things I mentioned. Where is the lie?

You just don't feel the commitment goes far enough. But whose fault is that?
    unichips likes this.
    12-15-17 08:34 AM
    Ahm, there was management before Chen.
    Remember Heins Ketchup and Mike L.?

They still have to fulfill contracts.
    That's why they stopped selling OS10 devices to companies since 2016
    I'm quite aware of that and that was my point...you weren't specific

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 08:35 AM
    Yes. And they provided all the things I mentioned. Where is the lie?
    +1
    12-15-17 08:35 AM
    +1
    +2

Posted via CB10
    12-15-17 08:37 AM
    (1) strange the company will turn away few million users without offer a replacement that would catch their heart - of course, K1, motion etc. any gooberry are not enough (if they are, those folks already jump over the ship)... If I were BB, find something better for exchange BBOS/BB10... no marketing dollar for few million user just some dream marketing scheme for company (I am sure any chinese handset guys will die for it - although chinese handsets control 90% of local market, only 15% in world wide market share collectively- bloomberg businessweek data).
    (2) Nice to know I will keep my Z30/Z10/9900/9970 for another 2 years and put off black K1 purchase until then if nothing better come along... at least 2 years I don't have to worry about ads, virus, etc... i'll use web short cut for app. 10.3.3 just good enough for me. (I might scoup a black K1 just because it is last BB design as collective item if stock market keep going up the way as 2017 ;-).
    (3) sad to see BBM video chat to go... that will impact a lot of chaps in south america... I'll see many unhappy house wife in kitchen - guys, prepare to get lousy food after the playbook disable video chat.
    (4) BB travel is the one I'll missing - saved me few times at airport for gate change... may be i just cut travel... with all the ban on laptop, tablet, etc.etc. home bound might be better (but -17 C weather is a lot to stomach...).
    (5) as long as I got bloomberg app, i am happy. - bbw store don't have that much good stuff nowadays... no love lost.
    still think BB is silly not utilize such a large installed user base... but, I am not software... I think the brain structure might be different to analyze the same problem (left vs right brain thing ... heard many software guys are left handed... I am definitely right handed).
    12-15-17 08:37 AM
    still think BB is silly not utilize such a large installed user base... but, I am not software... I think the brain structure might be different to analyze the same problem (left vs right brain thing ... heard many software guys are left handed... I am definitely right handed).
    BlackBerry is out of the hardware business. It's up to the licensees to offer new devices that they think will appeal to people.

TCL has already decided that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ/Motion is the best angle of attack.

The "large" install base of BB10 users amount to $1-$2 million people - and probably 2/3 of those would not consider android anyways.
    12-15-17 08:49 AM
    (2) Nice to know I will keep my Z30/Z10/9900/9970 for another 2 years and put off black K1 purchase until then if nothing better come along... at least 2 years I don't have to worry about ads, virus, etc... i'll use web short cut for app. 10.3.3 just good enough for me. (I might scoup a black K1 just because it is last BB design as collective item if stock market keep going up the way as 2017 ;-).
    By then, the Keyone will almost certainly be in exactly the same position as all BB10 devices: All formal commitments for any form of software maintenance will have expired.
    rayporsche and cyberdoggie like this.
    12-15-17 09:14 AM
    BB10 - gooberry might be - but not quite there yet... BBOS, currently still earn chen a lot of money. those folks will be happy to use it because there is nothing to replace it and the key issue everybody ignore: the infrastructure of the area those BBOS user use are not there yet, possibly another 2 years or 5 years (depend upon the stability of those nations), even longer... just look at the south america as example, if the conflict keep flare up, when you think the 3G/4G LTE is going to be implemented and the chaps are rich enough to pay for it? BIS compression allow those folks to pay 10-15.00 per month using existing network to check vegi price, take baby picture, etc. pull off BIS after 2 years actually is very curl... unless google fiber start laying down there instead of US (I think they pull the program under the new direction, correct me if I am wrong). don't laying copper wires, it might got digged out sold for food. K1/motion are OK for EU/USA (even some remote area you still got problem), not mention india TD limited LTE... yes, it didn't get that much money, but chen is sitting there collecting cash from old handset handsomely consider how much required to maintain it... (as for quality, I guess those 9900 just refuse to die - with replacement battery... z30 might be a problem for 10 years).
    rayporsche likes this.
    12-15-17 09:14 AM
    Now it's official: OS10 is EOL!
    They killed it on purpose - I also highly doubt that Facebook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn etc. stopped their services themselves.
    I claim this came from BlackBerry, they have been working so hard to convince people to Android to get out
    of that handset business.

I know a big German company who have always had BlackBerry devices as their company standard (BBOS and OS10 since 2014, a year after it launched) - their IT department wanted to continue to use BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry denied contracts for that back in 2016.
    They told them to use other devices but should comeback for MDM.
    That's when I was 100% sure, all they did way lying.
    So then, here we are now with that bitter taste at the end of an iconic OS.
    "They killed it on purpose". Yes, in the same way that General Motors killed the Pontiac and Oldsmobile car lines in 2008 or 2009.
    Bleeding money and facing BANKRUPTCY both organizations made drastic changes to their business models in order to stay alive.

It seems to me that you have a couple of options:
    1) remain angry and bitter that you have been "betrayed" by BB - and continue to poison your life
    2) forgive them, move on and free yourself from this baggage

Trust me, BB didn't do all of this in order to make your life miserable.
    They did this to KEEP THEIR DOORS OPEN.

It's like when the surgeon cuts off your mangled leg. They're not thinking, "I'm going to make this person's life miserable and inconvenient" - they're thinking more like, "If I can't get this leg off quickly and the bleeding stopped, THIS PERSON WILL DIE".
    12-15-17 09:29 AM
    By then, the Keyone will almost certainly be in exactly the same position as all BB10 devices: All formal commitments for any form of software maintenance will have expired.
    good point. I migth just get 5G handset with AI/AR... hopefully BB13 OS- that would be a trade up for me ;-).
    12-15-17 09:33 AM
    It seems to me that you have a couple of options:
    1) remain angry and bitter that you have been "betrayed" by BB - and continue to poison your life
    2) forgive them, move on and free yourself from this baggage
    Which is really only one option, since anyone capable of 2) has left the building already.
    glwerry, eldricho, john_v and 1 others like this.
    12-15-17 09:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wrong. Chen was brought in after the board had already decided to phase out BB10 in favor of Android. But they had several BB10 devices still in development at the time, as well as important enterprise contracts to fulfill, so Chen had to see those development cycles through. I believe that soon after the launch of the Z10, they saw the writing on the wall, but they couldn't just pull the plug on it or the company would have gone under.
    glwerry likes this.
    12-15-17 09:50 AM
756 1234 ...